Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

Ziggy:
    reginos:

This car is not legal, anyway. It is outside any type approval.

Even if it is not a GT3 but a modified Carrera 4, the use of the front deep spoiler is not approved by Porsche without the rear wing.

I had a sports front apron installed on the Carrera S and although it is the one with the small front lip and approved without the rear wing, the handling of the car changes.

There is the lip on the front trunk, so I believe it is indeed a GT3 with the rear wing chopped off.  Interesting comment about how a minor change on the front apron can alter the handling of a car!

The front apron has given me extra km/h both on straights and long curves, at spots which are known to me thus comparison is valid. No need to mention actual speeds angry

The front becomes more planted which is crucial on a 911, especially RWD.

The difference to the original is not just the lip but the whole shape of the bumper  is altered, the curvature and the intakes.

sport apron.JPG

--

"Form follows function"

Here I my thoughts on the 991GT3 which I posted on RL. Excuse the typo's

Many on RL have posted outstanding reviews of the car which I agree with. I will try to give my perspective. I have put on 75 miles in three days on the car. Also, know that I have owned several Porsche's including 911's Boxster S, TT's, Ferrari's 360's and 430's and "other" high performance cars. I have also driven extensively the CGT, Stradale, Scuderia and California. But I am not a track junkie. I have done many track events but no where near what many of the RL posters have had.

EXTERIOR; the car looks better on the street than on a showroom floor. It has an aggressive stance and definitely projects a Porsche race car. It sits very low so much so that invariably you are looking up (or they at looking down) at cars alongside of you. 

I don't have the lifter but I cannot understand why some would need it. So far I have scraped once and it does not show on the splitter.

It gets a lot of attention but not nearly as much as Ferrari or CGT. 

INTERIOR. I order the full leather dash with the sport clock. Ai least to me it makes a huge difference in the look of the car. An upgrade interior elevates the car form a dedicated track rat to one that accommodates DD and projects an elegance worthy of a $150,000 automobile. Overall the interior is very well done and the materials are of the best quality. This was a pleasant surprise for me.

I have the four way seats and they are positioned like all 911's perfectly just behind the pivot point of the car. The GT3 seats are deeper and you sit lower enabling the driver to feel not only the pivot point but project a oneness with the car. The seats are more snug fitting than the 991 C2S I was driver. Again, given it's racing purpose an excellent set up.

The dials are situated perfectly. You can see the instruments clearly while driving aggressively. The paddles are small but since the turn with the wheel (Ferrari paddles are much bigger and don't turn) they work well allowing easy shifting while turning. 

Rear view visibility is very restricted. The tail blocks out cars behind you and you must rely on your side mirrors.

The exterior noise on the road is relatively quiet. The car does block out much of the outside noise with the windows up.

The AC is great! Good airflow and cools the car quickly.

Most importantly, the ride quality though somewhat stiff is very comfortable. I drive in it all day long. What I drove the Stradale and Scuderia and would have a headache in 20 minutes.

STEERING. As state by others it is sharp and responsive. Yet, to me it felt a little heavy which too many is a good thing. You can feel the road through the wheel (I have the leather wheel covering) which is important especially on track surfaces. Knowing AND FEELING what your tires are doing is paramount in any high performance sport car. 

However, as I posted before I did feel a little lightness in the front end but have yet to feel that again.

EXHAUST. I love the exhaust. It is aggressive but not in your face like a Ferrari. it is almost like the CGT. At low speeds not very noticeable but once you hit the higher revs the car sings like no other. AND again it not a ricer sound but a smooth sound of an aggressive engine revving at incredible speed. Personally I prefer over the Ferrari sound.

BRAKES. I have the standard brakes and they are great. Their stopping power are incredible. Formula One cars are noted not only for their astonishing acceleration but for equally astonishing braking stopping power. Well, the GT3 brakes may not be F1 brakes but they can slow you down faster than you can imagine. Perfect for DD and track activities.

That said, I have had loud squealing recently when applying the brakes especial as a slow to a stop. Since these are high performance brakes and have some residual glazing on the them I am assuming the squeal will stop once on get on them hard a few times.

PDK-S. Without a doubt the best transmission I have experienced. The Ferrari is no match for the Porsche PDK. It is brilliant in every aspect. Lightning fast in up and downshifts whether your in manual or auto. There is no hesitation and the engine responds to the shifts as though they are one. Just fabulous!

PERFORMANCE; I have revved the engine to 8K. But did so only briefly. I never stay at any rev too long. I try to alternate different rev ranges allowing the car to acclimate to my driving habits. 

The car at higher revs is like a go kart with a rocket attached to its rear. At lower revs it is much different. The torque/pull is altogether different. Some have complained that the car lacks lower end torque and I can see why. But to me that is not a drawback. In the CGT with its 612 hp depress the throttle too hard and you go into a spin. And that is the beauty of the GT3. The car is controllable and easy to drive fast. I don't want to play Russian Roulette while driving my car. I want it to respond to me and not have control me.

If you want pull/torque hit the throttle and the GT3 take off like a rocket. But if I am merging into traffic I can feather the throttle and control my speed without have all hell break loose.

I have not gone from 8K to (k but if it is anything like going fro 7k to 8k we are in for a treat. All hell breaks loose and the 8-9k will be phenomenal.

To me one of the best features of the car is the RWD. All I can say is WOW!. I can take corners at speeds I never thought possible. The car is so planted and the rear merging with the front is extraordinary. What a feeling!

SUMMARY. Steve Sutcliffe of AutoCar car said it is the best sport car he has ever driven. I whole heartily agree. What makes the 991GT3 so good is it is easy and comfortable to drive and yet in performance mode it allows a mediocre driver like me to experience the almost full potential of the car. What more can any one of us ask for?

The car is worth the wait and equally important is too recognize what an unbelievable performance value it is. Those of us that own one are very fortunate.
    Nick is online now Report Post   Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
    Bold
    Italic
    Underline

Insert Link
    Insert Image
    Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
    Increase Size
    Options
    Quote message in reply?

Posting Rules
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may post attachments
    You may edit your posts
    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

Your assessment is very reassuring Nick.  I have a Nov commission that will likely be pushed back due to my PTS request (already approved selection this go around), and I am confident that Porsche has the bugs worked out!  

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Thanks Nick.

The real comparison tough is against the current generation of Ferraris and not the Stradale and Challenge...

nberry:

I will try to give my perspective. I have put on 75 miles in three days on the car. 

I guess the 75 miles in three days is a typo ? that would be some pretty slow driving and not the basis for any sort of test Smiley 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.0 bar

TB993tt:
    nberry:

I will try to give my perspective. I have put on 75 miles in three days on the car. 

I guess the 75 miles in three days is a typo ? that would be some pretty slow driving and not the basis for any sort of test Smiley

He made it to over 30 Starbucks in that distance.SmileySmileySmiley

We did learn that the AC is cold!  (who runs AC in a Porsche? - I don't run it in my Turbo, it robs power.)

TB993tt:
    nberry:

I am not sure how much more wheel time one needs to know a car. Smiley I have owned and driven enough cars to understand what a car is all about within 25 miles provided you do the right things and know what you are looking for. We buy cars based on test drives on a lot less miles and time spent in the car.Smiley

The AC is an important part of any analysis of a GT car. For an example, the Ferrari AC at least with the 360 and 430 was an abomination. If I lived in hot humid weather it would be an important consideration. Read Porky's trip review in his RS.Smiley

I could drive the 991GT3 around 10,000 miles and my opinion would not change.

nberry:
    TB993tt:
    nberry:

The AC is an important part of any analysis of a GT car. For an example, the Ferrari AC at least with the 360 and 430 was an abomination. If I lived in hot humid weather it would be an important consideration. Read Porky's trip review in his RS.Smiley

I always liked Clarkson's description of Lamborghinis' aircon; "The air conditioning in Lamborghinis used to be an asthmatic sitting in the dashboard blowing at you through a straw."

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:
    nberry:
    TB993tt:
    nberry:

I always liked Clarkson's description of Lamborghinis' aircon; "The air conditioning in Lamborghinis used to be an asthmatic sitting in the dashboard blowing at you through a straw."

Smiley That was my 360 and 430. 

AC of 612 and California work great...

The one in my Speciale is ok, passable for most conditions, but can't do the job if the car has been sitting under a hot summer sun for a few hrs. Needs some help as in opening the windows to let the hot air escape and changing the setting to have it blow from the base of the windshield to cool the hot glass first. 

--

Is this becoming another Ferrari thread    

Soon there will not be anything else on RT , it just needs one or two more members to buy an F, and we are done with P on this forum indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

No, it is the fact that is it much easy to get Ferrari these days then it was few years ago when 430 were selling for huge up charge. Ferraris become much more accessible.  That is the case IMHO. 

Also, after my test drive of 458 Speciale I was hugely impressed and had only two words t8 desribe it-sensory overload.  But, as the time go by I realized that I am not interested any more in this kind of "illegal substance" like short sensation since 458 Speciale can be tiresome car on long drive. 

If I wanted a sportscar for regular track visits I would go for 991 GT3, not even much more expensive (as we will find out soon) and only marginally more capable (just, wait for Sport Auto Supertest) 991 GT3 RS.

KresoF1:

If I wanted a sportscar for regular track visits I would go for 991 GT3, not even much more expensive (as we will find out soon) and only marginally more capable (just, wait for Sport Auto Supertest) 991 GT3 RS.

Can you tell us anything else ? When will we have the official infos for the RS ? Before Paris motor show ?

When will we see the Supertest ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

If the RS was only marginally different and slightly more capable, then Preuniger's announced strategy of a greater differentiation between the base GT3 and the RS version would turn out to be just marketing hype to justify the much higher price tag.

Let's wait and see, and reserve judgement until the facts are clear...

Gnil:
    KresoF1:

If I wanted a sportscar for regular track visits I would go for 991 GT3, not even much more expensive (as we willjustificationon) and only marginally more capable (just, wait for Sport Auto Supertest) 991 GT3 RS.

Can you tell us anything else ? When will we have the official infos for the RS ? Before Paris motor show ?

When will we see the Supertest ?

Car should be introduced till Paris.

Porsche will claim that it is much purer and rawer then normal GT3. Since it will be much more expensive they need this kind of justification. 

Well, I pre-ordered a GT3 RS quite a while ago, so I have skin in the game. If the upgrade versus the base GT3 does not seem to justify the price increase, then I may opt for the base model instead.

Bought my last 911 11 years ago. Never looked back... Ferrari McLaren and Aston is just a whole other level of ownership and sensations (and price)...

One of the two 991GT3 owners I know of here, got his car back with the new engine and right when he grabbed the car this Monday to do a 1wk road trip along the Spanish-french coast along with other high end cars, the car's engine failed, lost the whole vacation,  and his car is back in the shop awaiting yet another engine... 

--

Smiley  It would be interesting to know if this is a random one off or if there is a systematic problem.  Either way, I wouldn't be putting my money into a 991 GT3 until this new engine much more mature (I'd rather have a 997 for numerous reasons anyway).  As an early adopter you would expect to be an extended test driver with many sports car manufacturers but not Porsche.Smiley

--

Gen II Cayman S

KresoF1:

No, it is the fact that is it much easy to get Ferrari these days then it was few years ago when 430 were selling for huge up charge. Ferraris become much more accessible.  That is the case IMHO. 

Also, after my test drive of 458 Speciale I was hugely impressed and had only two words t8 desribe it-sensory overload.  But, as the time go by I realized that I am not interested any more in this kind of "illegal substance" like short sensation since 458 Speciale can be tiresome car on long drive

I agreed.

On our highway, at the cruising speed, it's around 3k rpm at 7th gear, just around valve opening rpm, so there is extra boom/droning inside the cabin, either I go a little bit faster or slower to avoid it.

One reason I am picking up a Ferrari GT car, FF today just to be a little bit more relaxed. 

--

I thought SportAuto was to retest the 991GT3 on the Ring again. Has that happened?

The GT3 is no different than the 911 or TT for daily driving. it is a little stiffer but not enough to make you uncomfortable. I agree that with its tires wet roads can be a problem. But I never take my car out if there is a possibility of rain and rarely if ever drive the car at night. Night driving is reserved for my SUV.

Carlos from Spain:

One of the two 991GT3 owners I know of here, got his car back with the new engine and right when he grabbed the car this Monday to do a 1wk road trip along the Spanish-french coast along with other high end cars, the car's engine failed, lost the whole vacation,  and his car is back in the shop awaiting yet another engine... 

what does Porsche have to say about this failure?

Don't forget you don't really have winter where you are Nick...

sfo:
    Carlos from Spain:

The only thing he has been told is by the shop and only a vague alusion to a piston... they could not even get him a replacement car until tomorrow (this happened on Monday...) and the replacement car is going to be a Macan... I think he will be putting all this in the hands of lawyers... if I were him I'd give them tthe car back and want my money back and not want anything with Porsche ever again, he paid for the car and short after delivery they issued the recall, the car spent months in the shop, now he finally gets his car and this happens causing him to loose all his plans of the vacation (the other cars had to go on without him), he hasn't even attended a track day with the car... he hasn't been able to enjjoy the car in al this time, the car is not new anymore, and two engines later its back in the shop for a new one... unexcusable.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    sfo:
    Carlos from Spain:

The only thing he has been told is by the shop and only a vague alusion to a piston... they could not even get him a replacement car until tomorrow (this happened on Monday...) and the replacement car is going to be a Macan... I think he will be putting all this in the hands of lawyers... if I were him I'd give them tthe car back and want my money back and not want anything with Porsche ever again, he paid for the car and short after delivery they issued the recall, the car spent months in the shop, now he finally gets his car and this happens causing him to loose all his plans of the vacation (the other cars had to go on without him), he hasn't even attended a track day with the car... he hasn't been able to enjjoy the car in al this time, the car is not new anymore, and two engines later its back in the shop for a new one... unexcusable.

I am surprised this is not all over the internet ...

really terrible

there are now 6 991 GT3s for sale in the UK official network .. in July, there were none.

Hopefully its just an isolated incident, time will tell, but the owner knows another guy with a 9991GT3 and his is also in the shop again, but hasn't been told what the problem is. My grief is not only the reliability of the GT3 but even worse IMO is how Porsche/dealership/s are treating the owners, makes me loose all trust in the brand...

--

I would like to know if anyone has seen a picture of a 991 GT3 Riviera Blue ? I ordered one but never saw this color. Thank you for your guidance. JP

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 2.18.56 PM.png

Supposedly an actual 'Riviera Blue' 991 gt3 delivered in Indonesia.  Some initially thought it was a vinyl wrap.  We have no actual confirmation yet either way.  There is also a report that there is a 'Riviera Blue' 991 gt3 at a US port waiting for its engine replacement...but we have not seen photos of that one either.

We have seen what we believe to be 'Viper Green' in Austria and a 'Lichtgrün' in Germany.

Saludos,Eduardo Carmel, CA USA

Eduardo. My money is on wrap/respray. That car was delivered at least 6 months ago that I recall and Ive spent time up there - labour is cheap and Asian market doesnt like to wait. cars are very $$$ due to tax. Easier to land a white one and have it repainted to blue. Takes a week or two and not so much money (less than PTS charge), PTS has never been popular in Sing/HK/Indo as a result (infact since 964 generation I have not personally seen one and I was up there alot on the 90s where I bought my 993RS and 964RS from)....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803952 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448723 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266324 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90158 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886057 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834264 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM