Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Boxster GTS - evo magazine

ISUK:

Deviating stitching is ridiculously expensive...... been there, done that (albeit with a 987.2) smiley

.....and from some of the ones I've seen easy to get wrong - too much looks busy and not enough looks like some have been missed. I do like the deviated stitching with the GTS Interior pack - another option - less sporty and GTS exclusive I agree- but only £250 extra - is the agate / platinum bi-colour leather which comes with deviated stitching as standard. Bit worried how practical the very light coloured platinum leather is with an open top car though.

1408616320484bicolour.JPG

--

Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

..although the more I think about it the less I think that the bi-colour is "right" for a GTS. Black leather / Alcantara or black leather is the way to go.

--

DC, how will SWMBO react to the extra effort required to exit from the alcantara sport seats? It's not as simple as sliding out of the leather "regular" seats I had in my 987

DC, perhaps a Boxster S might be better than a GTS for your needs, especially as you can have normal seats.  I presume you've worked out how many of the GTS extras do you need or want over and above an S?

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

DC, perhaps a Boxster S might be better than a GTS for your needs, especially as you can have normal seats.  I presume you've worked out how many of the GTS extras do you need or want over and above an S?

Priced both - my "ideal" spec for both worked out at less than £1k difference, and I'd always think with the regular S that I had gone for second best.....Smiley Especially the sound.

--

the GTS's front bumper is so so much more cohesive and good looking that standard Boxster/S's front bumper.

re: pebble grey, just apply GTechniq L1 and wipe clean with plain baby wipes from time to time. 

mcdelaug:

DC, how will SWMBO react to the extra effort required to exit from the alcantara sport seats? It's not as simple as sliding out of the leather "regular" seats I had in my 987

Access and egress isn't a problem for SWMBO with the sports seats, (although the buckets might be different) it's the snug fit of the side bolsters that's the issue. I'm hoping the adjustable bolsters of the adaptive seats are not as tight as the fixed bolsters of the standard sort seats plus, logic being they adjust from looser than standard to tighter. We'll find out when we go to Swindon, although Dick Lovett's demonstrator GTS has the standard sport seats plus I'm sure they will have other cars there with the adaptives we can play with. A lot of people like SWMBO have issue with the side bolsters (they are fine with me) but she does have hip problems which the squab adjustment normally sorts anyway.

Adjustable seat squab angle is also  a major benefit - she was OK with the standard seats in the 997 but a lot more comfortable with the adjustable squab angle and lumbar support we had in the comfort seats in the Boxster - which the adaptive seats have anyway.

--

DC - Lots of thought going into finalising your spec' which, knowing you, is exactly what I would expect..kiss

I've no doubt you'll finish up with exactly what best suits your needs, taste and budget. 

Just one point on colour though - you now seem to be favouring blue again, which is no bad thing, but please do not dismiss white without seeing it in the flesh.  You know my 997 GTS is white and I can assure you that, although white has become more common-place generally than it was three years ago, I'm still delighted that I chose it.  Still admire it everytime I look at it!!

It just seems to blend splendidly with the black bits and, as you are choosing a black roof, I think you may agree?

Really looking forward to viewing your finished article - very best of luck when you get to Swindon...wink

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

there is also carrera white metallic now

John H:

DC - Lots of thought going into finalising your spec' which, knowing you, is exactly what I would expect..kiss

I've no doubt you'll finish up with exactly what best suits your needs, taste and budget. 

Just one point on colour though - you now seem to be favouring blue again, which is no bad thing, but please do not dismiss white without seeing it in the flesh.  You know my 997 GTS is white and I can assure you that, although white has become more common-place generally than it was three years ago, I'm still delighted that I chose it.  Still admire it everytime I look at it!!

It just seems to blend splendidly with the black bits and, as you are choosing a black roof, I think you may agree?

Really looking forward to viewing your finished article - very best of luck when you get to Swindon...wink

Thanks John - comments much appreciated. Always good to air ideas and receive really good suggestions and views, one can always rely on that with Rennteam. Smiley Really excited over the prospect of returning to Porsche, something six months ago I wouldn't have thought possible.  Fate also showed us the way with giving us a get out with the BMW 335d we'd ordered. As long as SWMBO can get on with the sport seats, adaptive or otherwise,  I want to really think long and hard about options after our last new Porsche - the Cayman S - we got so wrong, largely because we made the mistake that we believed the salesman knew what he was talking about. Smiley

Regarding colour choice it is shortlisted to white , Rhodium Silver (my choice vetoed by SWMBO) and Sapphire Blue. Certainly white and silver are more traditional Porsche performance model colours. Smiley

Certainly if it happens we must get together again, a brace of GTS would be a pretty good reason for a meet. although it would be great to see you both again in any event. Smiley

@ sfo - thanks for the suggestion, a good one, we really need to see metallic white to make our mind up on it - some metallic whites can look a bit bling somehow, although I doubt that is the case with Porsche.

--

The sapphire blue looks very good on the Boxster. Also notice how well the blue roof blends. But then you would have to go for a non-black interior.

Perhaps, the GTS with the black exterior trimmings will suit a black roof more 

1408631406674image.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The sapphire blue looks very good on the Boxster. Also notice how well the blue roof blends. But then you would have to go for a non-black interior.

Perhaps, the GTS with the black exterior trimmings will suit a black roof more 

1408631406674image.jpg

Yes it does - I think, as you say, that with the black trims a black roof would be best, also probably suit the GTS character better as well. How I wish Porsche offered Renault's flame red - that would be a complete no-brainer. That does look quite dark for sapphire - amazing how photos from diffrenet sources and different lights can make so muchg difference. The Mk. 1 eyeball is the only real way to see colours!

---

It is sapphire ( pics pinched from another site) but taken by iPhone.

--

"Form follows function"

sapphire blue is more mid/bright blue .. for me, it's a touch "loud"

white/carrera white metallic (not that I have seen one) would work very well with GTS Exterior Package and black roof, and espresso interior kiss

dreamcar:
    Access and egress isn't a problem for SWMBO with the sports seats, (although the buckets might be different) it's the snug fit of the side bolsters that's the issue. I'm hoping the adjustable bolsters of the adaptive seats are not as tight as the fixed bolsters of the standard sort seats plus, logic being they adjust from looser than standard to tighter.

I found the 981 sports seats much wider than those in the 987, to the point where I didn't find them supportive enough laterally so SWMBO might be OK 

--

Gen II Cayman S

sfo:

sapphire blue is more mid/bright blue .. for me, it's a touch "loud"

white/carrera white metallic (not that I have seen one) would work very well with GTS Exterior Package and black roof, and espresso interior kiss

Hmm, espresso interior, hadn't thought of that option,  sophisticated, would work well with whiteSmiley  - but as it's a natural leather it's expensive - £810..Smiley but a lot cheaper than the £2k GTS interior which I've pretty much excluded on cost grounds.Smiley

--

natural leather is worth the additional expense .. think of it as fresh full fat instead of long life skimmed milk

If going with Espresso interior I'd have a brown roof. It looked really good on the white car I had which had the Agate/Pebble interior. It also sold amazingly fast so is a combination that stood out amongst the many cars with the more usual black roof.

1408636676827Web 5.JPG

1408636700518Web 2.JPG

Lovely car!...and I don't usually go for white.

ISUK:

If going with Espresso interior I'd have a brown roof. It looked really good on the white car I had which had the Agate/Pebble interior. It also sold amazingly fast so is a combination that stood out amongst the many cars with the more usual black roof.

1408636676827Web 5.JPG

1408636700518Web 2.JPG

Could be onto something here - that combination looks very very nice, sophisticated and elegant - with either  espresso or the agate / pebble interior. Smiley Introduces a bit of colour into an otherwise monochrome black / white scheme. Smiley Need to see a sample of espresso when we go to Swindon  as on the Configurator it looks too much like soiled nappy brown......Smiley

--

Espresso is a lovely rich chocolate colour. The new saddle brown for the Macan is much more like "soiled nappy brown"

The Agate/Pebble interior looks great against a white car as it makes the Pebble leather look like a pale cream when the roof is down. As sfo said earlier just treat it to a coat of G Tecniq's Leatherguard and you'll be fine. Our car had the pebble carpet  but had agate mats. I'd definately treat the pebble carpet to some Scothguard protectant as it is very pale and shows up dirt.

1408640536222Web 3.jpg

Espresso in a 991.

Espresso 2.JPG

Espresso 1.JPG

Thanks for the ideas ISUK and sfo- I'm really quite taken by this combination. Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    Need to see a sample of espresso when we go to Swindon  as on the Configurator it looks too much like soiled nappy brown......Smiley

like carrera (now garnet) red, espresso is very hard (the door picture is quite close) to photograph .. it always looks much better in person

Found a photo of espresso leather in a Boxster on the interweb :-

1408644021998image.jpg

--

I don 't want to interfere, but I'm definitely with ISUK! indecision

Plain white or especially Carrera white metallic with espresso interior is a beautiful combo for the Boxster GTS. It's both sporty and classy and you can certainly feel the difference between standard leather and natural leather. It's worth the extra money!

Personally I would go for the S with a brown roof, but the GTS with black Exterior package will probably look better with a black roof.

Good luck! 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:

I don 't want to interfere, but I'm definitely with ISUK! indecision

Plain white or especially Carrera white metallic with espresso interior is a beautiful combo for the Boxster GTS. It's both sporty and classy and you can certainly feel the difference between standard leather and natural leather. It's worth the extra money!

Personally I would go for the S with a brown roof, but the GTS with black Exterior package will probably look better with a black roof.

Good luck! 

Far from interfering, all opinions are welcome - Thank you SuzyF Smiley

--

I agree with Suzy.

Spyderidol:

I agree with Suzy.

The more I think about it - and I think about it a lot, beats thinking at work Smiley  - white with espresso natural leather is the way to go, not many exterior colours would blend well withe espresso so that helped sort the exterior colour too Smiley. Very sound advice from all concerned and I wouldn't have thought about espresso otherwise.  It's just a question of solid or metallic white, brown or black soft top.  Smiley I'm still thinking about roof colours, as unlike ISUK's all white car there is a lot of black exterior trim on the GTS and I'm worried that brown might loook a bit out of place although it does introduce a bit of exterior non-monochrome colour.

Pebble / Agate is a lovely interior but I'd be always paranoid about marking it, even with leather cleaners and Scotchguard, and I'm not sure it fits with the GTS sporting character, whereas the espresso is sporty, elegant and practical all rolled into one.

--

A word of caution on the white exterior/brown roof combo. It is very sensitive to wheel choice. It worked well with the Wagon wheels (my name for the Carrera Classics Smiley) as they have what I would call a "softer" aesthetic finish with the contrast of the diamond cut face and the grey painted inner faces. It would not have looked so good in my opinion with a silver finish wheel (too insipid a contrast), platinum finish (too many colour clashes going on), or the black finish (colour clash and very bling).

I'd also think hard about the GTS exterior package as it's not inexpensive. It covers all the areas of the car that are very vulnerable to stone chips in shiny gloss black paint which shows up every mark, scratch and stone chip far more than the regular plastic finish does. If you coat the plastic areas with an excellent product like G Techniq's Plastic Trim Restorer or Swisswax's Plastic Protector from new they will keep a deep, shiny lustre that will be a lot less costly for your bank account

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764868 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436867 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261216 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258091 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82709 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877188 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809346 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM