Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Aston Martin Rapide S

Gents,

as climate is slowly but surely improving here in Egypt, I am toying with getting a new car....

while surely my prospect cars are rather difficult to compare, my 2 main contenders are Aston Rapide S, Mercedes G63 and as distant contender Panamera Turbo S.

I am currently leaning very much towards the Aston as it would be a total Change from all my other cars or even the cars that I was focussing on.

Hence, my questions concerning the Rapide S are about it's lifespan...i.e. when is a successor to be expected or is it a classic model in their lineup like the DB9 with very Little changes over the years ?

Reliability ?

Driveability ?

While I am sure that a Panamera Turbo S is by far the better car, how good is the Rapide S in comparison and feel ?

Those were just my intitial thoughts....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Re: Aston Martin Rapide S

Just got off the phone with a good friend who knos the local dealer very well and he offered me a 2014 Rapide S in Skyfall with Ivory Interior...he has it in stock and would give me a good Discount.

However, I am going to Keep with my White over red theme....Smiley

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

thank you sfo....been googling myself.

am looking for Input from someone who has Long-term wxperience with aston and driven a rapide s, as I actually never was interested in aston before and therefore never pursued sitting in one let alone trying one...

--

Astons grow on you .. I have been 'stalking' the Vantage for months, and will probably order an N430 Roadster this December for Spring next year.

Bear in mind that 10 of the 12 cylinders of the Rapide sits behind the front axle, and that gearbox is at the rear in front of the rear axle. All this makes for a very well balanced car with the vast majority of the weight within the axles.

The problem is the old technology gearbox. I would look for a used FF personally...

SciFrog:

The problem is the old technology gearbox. I would look for a used FF personally...

they just replaced it with the 8 speed ZF.

yup, the new ZF8 is new.

there is no seconda Hand market for luxurious cars here. thats why i Keep all my cars or most of them unless in rare occasions where you find a buyer.

therefore, the model cycle  is important to me as well...and that favours the G63 as it is a keeper.

--

It is an auto box... Where is the dual clutch? Even a Macan has it... G63 is a trophy car. Looks fun and different, but it is not many to be driven often as it really is just a very old car...

I would think the 8 speed ZF would be a perfect match for the way the Rapide would be driven most of the time. You should see even steeper depreciation on the older ones now (which is frightful as it is!).

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

surely agree that an 8 Speed slushbox is outdated....double-clutch is what it should have.

but then aston in General are pretty old-school tech wise. seeing that None of my cars do more than 6000 kms a year at max, either the G63 or the Rapide S would suit me just fine. both are ancient tech :)

--

8 speed ZF is a great gearbox and suits the Rapide S .. and is beyond up to date when compared the outgoing 6 speed angry

The 8 speed ZF is a fantastic transmission, I have one in my 550. Shifts are very quick and smooth as glass. This tranny is light years ahead of the old autos.

I don't know if Aston plans on making a new model, but they should. The DB9, Vantage, and Rapide all are such well designed cars, the proportions are bang on and the overall shape and presence of the cars are very very appealing. But they it's basically the same car modified into 3 different sizes and it's already pretty old. a refresh that takes the same design basis but freshens up the cars would be perfect. 

So IMO you should get the G, it's a keeper for sure. And maybe see where Aston goes as a brand and with their models and make a decision later. 

As a G owner, I guess I can speak a little, just a little haha.

If you want the worst handling car, the worst ride quality car, get the G. If you want the most iconic shape automobile out there, get the G. That last part trumps whatever bad is said before and that's why I have one.

--

i have been contemplating the G for Ages. but decided against it for a Cayenne Turbo and then for the X6M....simply for the fact that it drives like an ice-cooler....a cool one at that.

i think i have my mind set on the aston....ist just classy and cool. i have enough german cars to want to try something different.

anyone knows or can estimate how Long the rapide S will remain in ist current form ?

i believe the db9 has been around in its current form for Ages !??

--

Aston is long due for a new platform, the VH platform that spawned the DB9, Vantage, DBS, Rapide, Vanguish, basically all their lineup was from 2004.

They just don't have the money to invest in a new one. If they get absorbed into Daimler or Mercedes takes a meaningful stake in Aston, then they will have the necessary resource to revamp the lineup.

--

Get the AM, it's so much more special than the vulgar Panamera! I do think the Pana to be the best car by far on its class, more powerful, reliable, sporty and cheap to maintain compared to AM, but the AM is more rare, exotic, has much better engine sound, devasing looks and very exclusive. Lots of space and power enought to play with.

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

Rapide is the most recent AM model .. dates back to 2010 I think.

DB9 was updated in late 2012 with new headlights, bumpers .. now looks really good

Vanquish is all new with new interior (but still based on current interiors, apparently new electronics are not reliable), and an all new carbon fibre body

I suspect Rapide is going to be updated/changed after the DB9 and Vantage .. but who knows!

I like the Rapide too. Always like Aston but just never got around to getting one.

Heard the Rapide S today, not the newest one with the 8speed, but still it sounded VERY NICE.

Since you are not looking at a particular segment, it's gonna be tough to pick between the G and the Aston.

--

G with armor wink

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Whoopsy, exactly, i do not have a specific set of Targets for my next car. As said, currently have had enough of german Performance cars as such. so not looking for the fastest or most thrilling.

am interested in something 'different' which both the G and Rapide are.

i am pretty settled on the rapide now, as it does trump the G in all Areas except the 'teutonic image'...

rapide has a great engine, Looks gorgeous and is stylish and certainly different. ticks all my boxes somehow.

as i am not looking for all out Performance (in my category anyway) i believe i would not be disappointed with the way it drives.

surely the panamera Turbo s is better than the rapide in every aspect. but it is dull compared to the rapide.

actually None of the current Porsche models interest me. Porsche lost me with the Turbo s for the sls and with the Cayenne Turbo for the x6m....they Need to do more to Keep the die-hards interested. the broader customer base they are trying to attract the more of us they loose.

funny, i considered a macan Turbo for like 20 minutes and then clearly said to myself 'no way'

best in class is not always most interesting in class.

--

does anyone have info on what the average delivery time to be expected for a rapide would be from order confirmation ?

this info would help me push the local dealer a bit.

--

The G is an ultimate cornerstone for any distinct car collection.

The Panamera is a total question of taste - lookwise and drivewise - I personally never ever would buy one.

The Aston is a "Men's car" - classic and defined. Will hold forever its style!

Had my DBS for a few years now and it runs perfectly well Smiley Its a  complete different animal to the other cars you mentioned. The sound is intoxicating and it looks very gorgeous. Reliability wise, I would put it at 7/10 cos you get a few niggles here and there but since you have other cars it shouldnt be a problem.

The gearbox is not like a PDK so dont expect flash lightening changes when you drop a few gears but as a daily driver and feel good factor, it ticks all the boxes. Dont forget to pull out the fuse when you get your Rapide, it leaves the valves open permanently. I'm thinking of getting the new Vanquish but I will wait until the VanquishS comes out later this year or early next year.

There has been vast improvements done to the Sat Nav system, the pre 2012 satnav's were crap Smiley.

Once you get the car your dress sense will change, more tuxedos, martini shaken not stirred,getting chased by the baddies, and catching the hottest babes....welcome home 007 Smiley

As long as you know exactly what you are getting with the rapid, just get it. As a group we are very picky about some technical aspects, but the ownership experience will be amazing. We still have a 08 Vantage Roadster with Larini exhaust. The sound in the best I heard on pretty much any car, trounces the 612 and California. The car is gorgeous, the interior held really nicely despite being light color, the lines don't age at all. Every time we drive it it is with great pleasure. We don't have the heart to sell it. For the price we could get it is the best value out there. Reliability has been good but not perfect.

Get the Rapide...

SciFrog:

Reliability has been good but not perfect.

what has gone wrong?

After 3,000 miles the clutch was slipping. There was a batch of bad clutch plates when they built the car. Fixed under warranty.

At the 6 year mark a shock was leaking a bit. $1.5k, not bad and could be caused by prolonged storage in the cold (after hurricane Sandy).

Rattles: 4 distinct noises. Two at the top of windows when closed. Will never get fixed, only in certain weather conditions, not very annoying. One near the CD changer in rear. Fixed. One in center console (at the dealer now getting fixed).

I should also mention that you still can't get the proper cable to plug the new iPhones... Need two adapters Smiley and that the Sat Nav system was outdated even in 2007 when the car was new, I never use it anyway...

Overall not bad at all for a 7 year old car with 12k miles, probably better reliability than Ferrari...

those are mild issues.

re: window rattles: have you tried lubricating the seals with gummi pflege? My RS60 Boxster was making all sorts of noises after 3 years .. applied gf to all seals, it was quiet as it was when new.

what is the mileage now?

They apply something sometimes and it helps but then comes back. No biggie, the car is just too great. 12k miles.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM