Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What are the chances? F.ck... :(

Car has been sitting in the garage a while, completely covered with the McLaren car cover. I have no fucking idea what happened. Went to have someone go start it today and get it ready to bring in for service.

Apparently the black fabric liner material near the firewall area has been dissolved or chewed through or something, most likely an animal. I have no idea how or when it happened. It's been sitting for months, covered up. It started up fine and idled fine, so hopefully no wire or other damage, and I hope that material was taken out of the car rather than left inside it somewhere.

I'm really worried that this is going to be a colossal amount of work to fix since it looks very inaccessible. I really will cringe if this is an engine out job. It had to go in for a bunch of warranty work and probably some paint work anyway, but this is really disappointing.

This is the only car I ever bothered to put a cover on when stored in the garage and I've never had anything happen. I can't believe this thing got inside that area while it was covered up.

1407635300080photo.JPG
    1407635300204photo 2.JPG
    1407635300144photo 3.JPG

1407635300212photo 1 (1).JPG

Re: What are the chances? Fuck... :(

Ouch, that does look messy.  This is engine side of the firewall, right? Your cover would have made no difference if this was mice, as animals can usually access any engine area from below.  I would have them check all exposed wiring harness just in case.   

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

What the?

Engine bay is open from the rear deck, plenty of ways for critters to go in.

Yikes buddy.

But almost seems like the foam insulation expanded by itself and exploded the fabric coating.

Wonder if someone at the dealership can claim warranty?

--

True, but this was a pretty snug fit and decent cover. I'm really surprised.  This is what it looked like yesterday before my brother took the cover off. Bottom of the car is pretty covered except the wheels and those have liners, but I don't know what else it could have been. Some type of insects?

10599.jpg

It happens to our cars here and this is the animal that does it ( weasel ) :

Automarder.2_572_381.jpg

15869444fouine-jpg.jpg

They can climb just anything or enter trough small holes as they are so agile . I don't know if you got them ?

Our car insurances do cover these kind of damages . Check if yours does too

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Those little bastards haha. I don't think we really have weasels in my area. Mainly chipmunks, squirrels, and mice.

I'll be asking my brother to check for any obvious foot prints in the area. It's pretty much been undisturbed for many months, so maybe it left some tracks or signs of entry.

Gnil:

It happens to our cars here and this is the animal that does it ( weasel ) :

Automarder.2_572_381.jpg

15869444fouine-jpg.jpg

They can climb just anything or enter trough small holes as they are so agile . I don't know if you got them ?

Our car insurances do cover these kind of damages . Check if yours does too

I think those photographs show stone martens, which are a lot bigger than weasels but smaller than raccoons. They are not native to North America. 
    As I once found out the hard way, they tend to leave local gnawing marks in various places on things like foam insulation materials or cables, whilst the photographs above appear (as far as I can judge) to show larger surface areas of uniformly eroded black surface coating on the yellow foam parts. Smiley
    If that impression is correct, I would have thought it would be more consistent with damage caused by aggressive solvents or other fluids getting at the surfaces. I don't know if leaking AC refrigerant can have this effect, for example.     

--

fritz

If it was mice, there would be mouse droppings. They don't do much without leaving their calling card.

Fritz :

Martens are different then the '' fouine''  ( french word for the animals that eat up our cable and insulation ) .

Martens are very similar but the white front is triangle and not live an upsidown V 

This shoes a Marten 

martre.jpg

Martens in the left , '' fouine'' ( weasel ) on the right 

images.jpg

And this is what they have done to one of my car :

1407690633135photo 2.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

local pest control company will know what vermin tend to do this in any particular neighborhood and can lay traps to  do a definitive ID and recommend steps to abate them to reduce risk of recurrence in this garage 

Gnil:

Fritz :

Martens are different then the '' fouine''  ( french word for the animals that eat up our cable and insulation ) .

Martens are very similar but the white front is triangle and not live an upsidown V 

This shoes a Marten 

martre.jpg

Martens in the left , '' fouine'' ( weasel ) on the right 

images.jpg

And this is what they have done to one of my car :

1407690633135photo 2.JPG

Dictionaries give Stone Marten (English) = Steinmarder (German) as Fouine in French 

and 

Weasel (English) = Wiesel (German) as Belette in French.   Smiley

I know that my Freelander was damaged by a "Marder" as I had a family of them running around on the roof of my house and playing on its terrace late at night, around that time, and they were much bigger and heavier than weasels ever get to be.

They used to set off infra-red proximity sensors switching on lights around the house in the middle of the night and our cat and I would sit at a large window and watch them frolicking at a range of 2 - 3 metres.  Great fun!  Smiley 

--

fritz

No visible signs of animal dropping or anything like that. This could have happened any time between Dec and today,  so no idea really or if the animal is still around. My guess is no, it is.

It could be a failure of the insulation material due to the prolonged build up of temperature and lack of ventilation.

--

"Form follows function"

fritz:

I know that my Freelander was damaged by a "Marder" as I had a family of them running around on the roof of my house and playing on its terrace late at night, around that time, and they were much bigger and heavier than weasels ever get to be.

They used to set off infra-red proximity sensors switching on lights around the house in the middle of the night and our cat and I would sit at a large window and watch them frolicking at a range of 2 - 3 metres.  Great fun!  Smiley

Google translates '' fouines'' to '' wiesel ''   Smiley

Anyway, these 3 different animal are so close to each other that it remains very confusing to which is which .

The playing in the roof is also a common problem here . Not fun when you want to sleep just underneath it 

Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I'm sorry for you, that sucks big time. Although I don't think it is animal-related: the damage is to consistent. Looks like a fabric failure to me. Very strange either way, hope it gets replaced easily.

Gnil:
    fritz:

Google translates '' fouines'' to '' wiesel ''   Smiley

Anyway, these 3 different animal are so close to each other that it remains very confusing to which is which .

The playing in the roof is also a common problem here . Not fun when you want to sleep just underneath it 

Smiley

One of those rare instance where Microsoft gets things right and Google gets them wrong Smiley:

Fouine.JPG

They look similar in photographs if you cannot tell their relative sizes. Martens are about ten times the size of weasels, being almost as big as a house cat at 1100 to 2000 grams. (Males are bigger than females). Weasels, on the other hand, are not much bigger than a house mouse at 50 to 120 grams. 

Fortunately, we only had a Marten family temporarily playing on our roof, not in it. Mama showed the kids how to climb up a wooden sight screen next to our terrace and onto the roof and they all enjoyed running around up there and making a real din whilst my wife and I spent a warm summer evening watching them in the street lights and through an infra-red night scope. 
    They are big enough to take care of themselves around domestic cats so live happily around people, whereas smaller weasels and stoats (Hermine) tend to live away from populated areas. It is thought to be young Martens learning what they can and cannot eat in their first season which cause damage to cars and other things by chewing plastics, etc..

Now if we wanted to live up to Rennteam's habit of going off-topic, we could start a discussion on where the ferret (furet) and polecat (putois) fit into the hierarchy of these look-alike creatures.  Smiley

--

fritz

That garage looks like it would get very hot on a hot Los Angeles day. Maybe it was just too much of a oven and the material just couldn't take it.

Fritz, your tribute to Polecats and Ferrets would be a Rennteam milestone!Smiley

Polecats have a nice life apparently....Smiley

"While breeding, the male polecat drags the unresisting female round by the scruff of her neck for as long as an hour before mating commences. This courtship ritual encourages her to produce her eggs and usually guarantees fertilization. The pair will then mate several times during the next hour." 

fritz:

Fouine.JPG

They look similar in photographs if you cannot tell their relative sizes. Martens are about ten times the size of weasels, being almost as big as a house cat at 1100 to 2000 grams. (Males are bigger than females). Weasels, on the other hand, are not much bigger than a house mouse at 50 to 120 grams. 

Fortunately, we only had a Marten family temporarily playing on our roof, not in it. Mama showed the kids how to climb up a wooden sight screen next to our terrace and onto the roof and they all enjoyed running around up there and making a real din whilst my wife and I spent a warm summer evening watching them in the street lights and through an infra-red night scope. 
    They are big enough to take care of themselves around domestic cats so live happily around people, whereas smaller weasels and stoats (Hermine) tend to live away from populated areas. It is thought to be young Martens learning what they can and cannot eat in their first season which cause damage to cars and other things by chewing plastics, etc..

Now if we wanted to live up to Rennteam's habit of going off-topic, we could start a discussion on where the ferret (furet) and polecat (putois) fit into the hierarchy of these look-alike creatures.  Smiley

Now all is clear Smiley   The martens in my garden must now be adults as they know now car insulation and cables do not taste nice , specially the french ones . They never attacked the Porsche Smiley

There are many roads we could follow now from the topic  : Google Vs Microsoft    or  carry on with nature and it s evolution ( ferret, polecat , cat , weasels etc....... )    and as I put the word '' road'' into my sentence, we are '' on topic for a car forum ''  Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Whilst this typical rennteam tangent is interesting, just wanted to register sympathy to your plight - hope you get a reasonable resolution......

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

I also find it strange that the damage is so regular . It's like the protection just vanished , leaving everything underneath exposed and intact . So maybe it is not an animal .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

If we're talking marten-relatives, could we please extend this discussion to the wolverine as well, which is the largest member of the marten family? :-D
    Have to say I highly prefer going down the marten road than the microsoft vs google road 

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

For future reference -

If anyone here needs their exotic cars stored and driven regularly my air conditioned and heated garage and services are available FOR FREE!!!  I will even gurantee no rodents will destroy the car (with the help of my Dachshund - the ultimate defense against badgers and smaller) :-)

Frankly it looks like it was just fabric failure of some type - drive your car more either way.

I felt the heat this evening . This killer hedgedog got very close to my cars ..... luckily I saw him and managed to chase him away before he eat all my plastics  indecision

1407791176034photo 2.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

That is so cute! kiss

Certainly cuter than this Hogna Radiata I found yesterday myself indecision

--

Gnil:

I felt the heat this evening . This killer hedgedog got very close to my cars ..... luckily I saw him and managed to chase him away before he eat all my plastics  indecision

1407791176034photo 2.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

That looks like Spiny Norman.

noone1:

No visible signs of animal dropping or anything like that. This could have happened any time between Dec and today,  so no idea really or if the animal is still around. My guess is no, it is.

Hmmmm, if no droppings then I might favour the fabric failure hypothesis others have suggested.  In any case this must drive you  batty if you are working overseas and cannot get the car to the dealer.  You might want to have the garage temps documented now - mid summer and presumably maximum heat - since the dealer may well claim that  you cooked your 12C due to poor storage.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Carlos from Spain:

That is so cute! kiss

Certainly cuter than this Hogna Radiata I found yesterday myself indecision

Was it eating up your plastics ?  If not, you may well be off topic Smiley

Scary looking , and great photo Smiley  But I would stamp on it .... just to be safe !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

4trac:
    noone1:

Hmmmm, if no droppings then I might favour the fabric failure hypothesis others have suggested.  In any case this must drive you  batty if you are working overseas and cannot get the car to the dealer.  You might want to have the garage temps documented now - mid summer and presumably maximum heat - since the dealer may well claim that  you cooked your 12C due to poor storage.  

Couldn't be heat related. The car is in the midwest, and plenty exist in the middle east.

I had a similar unfortunate experience. Mices decided to make a 996 hardtop that was tucked away in its cover their home. They chewed material and messed it all up. Cost to repair was over $1,500...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688901 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408881 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255606 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234855 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857708 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773647 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM