Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Harley Davidson

I used to ride Japanese super sports bikes, but gave up 12 years ago, when my first son was born . The main reason being : I did not want to risk my life having now babies  . The other being that I would certainly end up loosing my driving licence for a long time on a 160HP , 190 KG motor bike .  Impossible to drive these at reasonable speeds.

Last summer , I just entered an HD dealer.... by curiosity and ended trying a few of them . It was actually a big surprise to discover that I had pleasure riding this kind of bike . It actually suited a new way of enjoying motor bikes.  Crusing, driving on torque and customizing the bike .

Within this new way of riding,  ( relaxed, slow, ) I felt confortable getting a bike again . A month later I bought an HD Softail Slim as this is a minimalist bike, with a '' crusing'' spirit .  The feet rests are so big that I can not take fast corners anyway , forcing me to have a soft driving style .

I am enjoying the bike much more then what I would have thought and did now a few cosmetical changes and a Stage 1 ( exhaust, intake + mapping ) . I plan a few other cosmetical changes and a Stage 2 ( camshaft + another new mapping )

The exhaust I have has a witch that allows me to be in quiet mode ( were it makes even less noise then the original exhaust . Very good for when I drive through my neighborhood ) and a loud mode, with flaps completely open .... which makes a pretty loud noise with loads of gurgles Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Re: Harley Davidson

1406461575098IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4835.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

IMG_4837.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Love it!!! kiss That is how a real bike looks. The Italian espresso machines and Japanese rice cookers can't compete.

Enjoy! wink

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Fancy a Ristretto?

smiley

SBK-1199-Panigale-R_2013_Amb22_R_1920x1080.mediagallery_output_image_[750x423].png

Congrats Gnil, it looks great!  i always fancied a harley from its looks but every time i drive them i wish they would,just be more agile in the bends... guess that's what the Porsche is for!!

--

turbolite

Congrats Gnil. Great bike! Looks awesome.

Here is mine, had a beautiful tour yesterday.

DSC02081.jpg

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Enjoy Gnil - great beak! 

Almost like my story.... two years ago I was at my brother in law and saw his new HD. I was sitting on top of it and felt I need one, too. Back at home I was calling my HD dealer and bought one. But - I first had to make the license which took me 3 weeks. Another 3 weeks later I had delivery of my 72 (IMO ideally as a beginner bike). Today - after driving 3 seasons I'm in love to it and just thinking about getting a custom bike done - sitting researching all day what I want to get done.

Drive safely!

I've never considered a HD in the past. I have always preferred Enduro and Naked.

However, recently I got drawn by the finish and style of the HD and I am waiting for the new Street 750 to be released. The new one will get a smaller version of the Porsche designed V Rod engine.

--

"Form follows function"

Thought about getting a bike to replace my sports car thrills. SWMBO won't permit it..... Thought about a Morgan 3 wheeler - sort of a cross between car and bike - she doesn't like that idea either......Smiley

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

reginos:

I've never considered a HD in the past. I have always preferred Enduro and Naked.

However, recently I got drawn by the finish and style of the HD and I am waiting for the new Street 750 to be released. The new one will get a smaller version of the Porsche designed V Rod engine.

The Porsche designed HDs arent real HDs.... would an Harley enthusiast say!

Why waiting for the 750.... and not going directly to the big one? As far as I understand the new Street - this is a bike for beginners - as you have all that experience, you for sure can handle the big one, too? 

dreamcar:

Thought about getting a bike to replace my sports car thrills. SWMBO won't permit it..... Thought about a Morgan 3 wheeler - sort of a cross between car and bike - she doesn't like that idea either......Smiley

brings me back to that YOLO thought - sure you consider that right?!

Lars997:
    dreamcar:

No, I think I got it wrong Lars, to be honest.....Smiley although she thinks life might end rather sooner on two wheels than four.......Smiley

SWMBO actually admitted (in one of her off guard moments) driving up to see her mother in lovely sunny weather last weekend  that she is missing a Porsche nearly as much as me... she'd have another Boxster in a heartbeat - I'm working on it and her.... nice white GTS? Smiley

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Lars997:
    reginos:

Why waiting for the 750.... and not going directly to the big one? As far as I understand the new Street - this is a bike for beginners - as you have all that experience, you for sure can handle the big one, too? 

You might be right. Which one would you recommend provided that I don't want a XL size?

--

"Form follows function"

turbolite:

Congrats Gnil, it looks great!  i always fancied a harley from its looks but every time i drive them i wish they would,just be more agile in the bends... guess that's what the Porsche is for!!

--

turbolite

Try a Slim , you would be surprised . The 150 mm back tyre helps a lot .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

ALDO:

DSC02081.jpg

It looks good 

Smiley  But don't you want to get rid of these side reflectors ? ( they are only mandatory in the US )

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Lars997:

Enjoy Gnil - great beak! 

Almost like my story.... two years ago I was at my brother in law and saw his new HD. I was sitting on top of it and felt I need one, too. Back at home I was calling my HD dealer and bought one. But - I first had to make the license which took me 3 weeks. Another 3 weeks later I had delivery of my 72 (IMO ideally as a beginner bike). Today - after driving 3 seasons I'm in love to it and just thinking about getting a custom bike done - sitting researching all day what I want to get done.

Drive safely!

I have sent hours searching in what I could tun in my bike. The problem is..... it never stops . I already want to change some of the changes I made Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Lars997:
    reginos:

Exactly. Every person I know that went for a 883 for example, very quickly change for a bigger one . The point with an HD is to be big . The bigger engine, the better !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

dreamcar:
    Lars997:
    dreamcar:

No, I think I got it wrong Lars, to be honest.....Smiley although she thinks life might end rather sooner on two wheels than four.......Smiley

SWMBO actually admitted (in one of her off guard moments) driving up to see her mother in lovely sunny weather last weekend  that she is missing a Porsche nearly as much as me... she'd have another Boxster in a heartbeat - I'm working on it and her.... nice white GTS? Smiley

Completely understand SWMBOs worries! 

My SWMBO always says if the death want to get you, it will find you! She had a lot of real bad tragic in her own family - so I guess she has a right to give that comment.

A GTS certainly would make up that YOLO moment! 

dreamcar:

--

I fully agree with your wife about the Morgan . She knows her part Smiley  But fully disagree about the HD . Get her to come with you for a test drive on a Street Glide . She will change her mind Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Lars997:
    reginos:

Exactly. Every person I know that went for a 883 for example, very quickly change for a bigger one . The point with an HD is to be big . The bigger engine, the better !

Just came back from my dealer discussing a project based on a breakout. I will order probably this week and do all the mods during winter. Something like this I have in mind:

Woaw , Lars !! Having such a unique machine in the garage would be fantastic . Looking forward to the result !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

reginos:

You might be right. Which one would you recommend provided that I don't want a XL size?

It all depends where you drive and what the purpose is .

If you need a bike that is nimble in the city ( to be able to go between cars, get to the front at trafic lights ) get a Sporster 1200 . The Forty-Eight would be a good base .

If you do not need that , then the Softail Slim ( mine ) is pretty nimble for a big HD as it has a 150 mm back tyre , allowing the bike to turn in very easily .  

Other wise , the Dyna street Bob 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Woaw , Lars !! Having such a unique machine in the garage would be fantastic . Looking forward to the result !

Thanks.... will take a year Smiley

Gnil:
    ALDO:

DSC02081.jpg

It looks good 

Smiley  But don't you want to get rid of these side reflectors ? ( they are only mandatory in the US )

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Old photo - they are already gone :)

IMG_3482.JPGIMG_3479.JPGIMG_3483.JPGIMG_3474.JPG

The last is a HD Softail !!

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Gnil:
    dreamcar:

--

I fully agree with your wife about the Morgan . She knows her part Smiley  But fully disagree about the HD . Get her to come with you for a test drive on a Street Glide . She will change her mind Smiley

Must admit, if I got a bike it would probably be a Harley - not really into kamikaze Japanese bikes at my age and like the idea of the character and style of a Street Glide. Smiley

--

Gnil:
    reginos:

If you need a bike that is nimble in the city ( to be able to go between cars, get to the front at trafic lights ) get a Sporster 1200 . The Forty-Eight would be a good base .

If you do not need that , then the Softail Slim ( mine ) is pretty nimble for a big HD as it has a 150 mm back tyre , allowing the bike to turn in very easily .  

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thank you Gnil. I'll keep your recommendations in mind. HD are imported by the same company that imports Porsche and they are very keen to sell me one. I have to find the one that suits me the most.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Gnil:
    reginos:

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thank you Gnil. I'll keep your recommendations in mind. HD are imported by the same company that imports Porsche and they are very keen to sell me one. I have to find the one that suits me the most.

Testride it.... all the HDs are driving and feeling so different to each other - you have to make the decision on top of it. Also - after riding it a while and getting into the whole thing, you will meet other people and learn a lot about what you really like and what not!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689583 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255745 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234995 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857992 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774045 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM