Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My Speciale

There are times when I consider myself to be a power junkie too, but after reaching 5-600hp, whatever on top is just academic.

I don't have access to unrestricted autobahn, top speed, 0-300km/hr or 200km/hr-300km/hr time to me is meaningless. Nice to talk about it and brag about it, that's all. 0-100km/hr, 0-200km/hr is just about the numbers I focused on. 

With the 918, it's probably the king of the hill for that range. My Turbo S is no slouch either. The new goldfish version aka 991 is faster but my 918 will be faster still.

--

I think the 918 proves that a very well engineered car can take a lot more than 600hp. The TTS just makes 560hp feel a bit too little for what the car could take. It actually makes the car feel as if it is being held back. I love that it is such a well engineered car but also hate that it could be so much more.

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab

With a 918 coming and the Speciale that i just bought, I am not in a hurry to swap the 997 TTS to the 991 TTS. I am waiting for the facelift to see if Porsche would get rid of the goldfish eye, I simply just cannot not focus on that ugly part. And in doing so pretty much ignored everything else that's on the car.

At 530HP I think my TTS has already hit the sweet spot, I never even think about having more HP in that car. My old 997.1 Turbo however seems a little bit lacking but that extra 50HP plus the PDK in the .2 pretty much drenched my thirst.

I think I had mentioned it a while ago when I acquired the 997 Turbo S, it was scarily fast already. But never say never and I had since gotten a scarier 12C then traded sideways to the Speciale. 

I could eat my words again in the future but right now I think I I am 'satisfied'. Nothing I can easily buy will match the 918. So if I want more thrill I will just take that out and scare myself silly.

--

Modern day TC is and DCT is making power more and more irrelevant for the most useful speeds. If you look at the torque of the 918 and AWD, it's crazy that a P1 should be able to do the same thing with RWD. It's also crazy that cars like the 650S and TTS aren't massively slower in real world situations like 30-70 and such.

Sure, P1 and 918 pull hard to 180, but if you are just trying to get to 100mph from an on-ramp or passing, which is probably faster than most people even drive in the first place, 600-700hp is probably all you need.

In that sense, 918 was probably the best choice for real world performance and usability of all three cars. Dead heat in performance up to sane speeds + actually useful E-mode and AWD in case it rains.

bluelines:
    EnglishManInNY:

I would like more power for my TTS too! 

You feel that the 560HP and 750Nm is hindering you from exploring your limit? Smiley Smiley

I once had a 580HP and 800Nm manual 997 Turbo and it was bloody scary to drive. In nooo way did I feel that it needed more power. With PDK you should be even quicker.

The current 991 Turbo S feels quite underpowered, once you get used to this car. The chassis, the PTM (AWD), everything feels and is very balanced, almost perfect. This is why this car could easily "support" 50 hp more. Even the development team acknowledges this but of course this is only valid for people who actually got used to the car. When I fully accelerated in the car for the very first time, I got really scared. It felt as if my stomach turned upside down. Smiley

To reach the limit is not easy in the 991 Turbo S, simply because you can never be as fast on a public road. I had some minor track time a short while ago and even then, experiencing the limits of the car was practically impossible. However, the engine could use some more power, I agree. Especially for the Autobahn. A friend in his Ferrari 458 Spider fell back only one car length from 120 kph to 300 kph. Yes, I had the Active Aerodynamics in Race mode (fully deployed) and this certainly took away some straight-line performance but still...50 hp more and the 991 Turbo S would be perfect.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    bluelines:
    EnglishManInNY:

I would like more power for my TTS too! 

You feel that the 560HP and 750Nm is hindering you from exploring your limit? Smiley Smiley

I once had a 580HP and 800Nm manual 997 Turbo and it was bloody scary to drive. In nooo way did I feel that it needed more power. With PDK you should be even quicker.

The current 991 Turbo S feels quite underpowered, once you get used to this car. The chassis, the PTM (AWD), everything feels and is very balanced, almost perfect. This is why this car could easily "support" 50 hp more. Even the development team acknowledges this but of course this is only valid for people who actually got used to the car. When I fully accelerated in the car for the very first time, I got really scared. It felt as if my stomach turned upside down. Smiley

To reach the limit is not easy in the 991 Turbo S, simply because you can never be as fast on a public road. I had some minor track time a short while ago and even then, experiencing the limits of the car was practically impossible. However, the engine could use some more power, I agree. Especially for the Autobahn. A friend in his Ferrari 458 Spider fell back only one car length from 120 kph to 300 kph. Yes, I had the Active Aerodynamics in Race mode (fully deployed) and this certainly took away some straight-line performance but still...50 hp more and the 991 Turbo S would be perfect.

Yes, but it becomes a rather academic discussion whether it "needs" 50hp more when you can't use it. Or? Smiley I can't even use the 400HP in my 991 C4S on the road due to speed limits and obvious safety concerns. On the track it is still way beyond my own limit. Hence my questions why people feel the 991 Turbo S is underpowered. Do they regularly accelerate to 300km/h and the car feels too slow? Or do the feel limited of the 560HP when on a track?

I hear you, the 991 Turbo S is too perfected. Like most latest generation cars. Hence you require more power to feel the car on the limit which is when it get's exciting. The same 560HP in a 964 or 993 Turbo would feel very different and most people would probably complain that it is undrivable Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

RC:

The current 991 Turbo S feels quite underpowered, once you get used to this car. 

I understand what you are saying - you cant reach the limit and if you go there it will be damn fast and super dangerous. But that might be the problem with any modern car! The limit goes higher and the feel of driving you are loosing. Even with my "normal Carrera S" I would say it was more fun to drive the 997 than the 991 (and talking only about the fun).

RC:

... I wish Porsche would add a different interior and a stronger engine to the Turbo S. ...

I also understand this. First of all - yes, the 991 interior is boring. And second - yes, for 180-200k€ car its hard to understand why it has the same interior as the 991 which you can buy already for half the price. Or you even can get a Boxster which almost looks the same inside, too.

Reading your complaints its hard to find a solution. There are hardly faster cars on the road. There might be cars which are not as fast but they might be more demanding and challenging to drive. And for the interior - same here - Porsche is a mass-production car with a high level or re-usage of parts across the whole product portfolio. You might have to go for a more limited sportscar, which you can find for this price tag, too - but then you have one more massive problem - the talking of people when you appear with a crazy, rare sportscar! Smiley

noone1:

Modern day TC is and DCT is making power more and more irrelevant for the most useful speeds. If you look at the torque of the 918 and AWD, it's crazy that a P1 should be able to do the same thing with RWD. It's also crazy that cars like the 650S and TTS aren't massively slower in real world situations like 30-70 and such.

Sure, P1 and 918 pull hard to 180, but if you are just trying to get to 100mph from an on-ramp or passing, which is probably faster than most people even drive in the first place, 600-700hp is probably all you need.

In that sense, 918 was probably the best choice for real world performance and usability of all three cars. Dead heat in performance up to sane speeds + actually useful E-mode and AWD in case it rains.

That was the design target for Walliser for the 918, to be the best real world usable car. Which is why he didn't add a 2-speed transmission to the front motor and forgo the last 1/4 of the acceleration towards top speed. That part is pointless and pure academic.

It's also what sold me on the 918, most real world usable car. 

--

Whoopsy:

The 918 will be the first super car to be able to be used as a DD Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

What about 959 almost 30 yrs ago?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

+1 

--

Grant:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I am not sure I want to classify the 959 into the super car category ..... mainly because of the design being a 911

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Grant:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

I am not sure I want to classify the 959 into the super car category ..... mainly because of the design being a 911

Then the F40 is no super car either because it "looks like" any mid engined Ferrari? No, IMHO these two were the first two supercars. They were the reason the word "supercar" was invented. The 959 is for sure a DD, the F40 less Smiley

--

Grant:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

--

It was for everywhere on Earth but the USA  

--

First world super car was the Lamborghini Miura in 1966.

However I would not classify it as the first all-year usable super car...

--

There is no try. Just do.

Absolut perfekt Smiley Thank you for this Photo´s

Whoopsy, like this fellow, Tony Gaples: [ http://www.examiner.com/article/ferrari-versus-mclaren-from-an-owners-perspective], you have owned both a 12C and 458.  Did you have the same experience he describes?  Or did Tony just have a bad 12C?  Or maybe it just looked bad because the 458 was just so good?

The review is pretty old. So presumably McLaren corrected most of this stuff. I was just taken aback by the negative real world experience for a car that (for the most part) got glowing reviews from trade press.  

Guy is retarded and strikes me as a typical Ferrari Dude. He somehow manages to scratch the paint opening the door and believes Lamborghini doesn't make functional cars even though they are more reliable, more versatile, better looking, and with the Aventador also higher performance.

He seems to be bothered by the fact that the car is better with ESC/TC on than off and that it uses brake steer rather than an E-diff. I really don't understand why people are so concerned about these things in modern cars. People think they are doing way more than they actually are. E-Diff in the 458 is just an extension of ESC when you think about it. It can't even be turned off. I'm pretty sure the 458 wouldn't be so great without an E-Diff either...

Heat/AC controls in the doors.

McLaren: Which to choose..... We'll go with the doors. You have to slide your hand against the paint to open them from the outside, in turn scratching the paint each time you do it. 

McLaren: I'll drive the next MP first before I ever decide to give them money, but currently they have achieved Lamborghini status in my head: Great looking, but not functional. I don't see myself ever buying each of those two again.

DaveChapin:

Whoopsy, like this fellow, Tony Gaples: [ http://www.examiner.com/article/ferrari-versus-mclaren-from-an-owners-perspective], you have owned both a 12C and 458.  Did you have the same experience he describes?  Or did Tony just have a bad 12C?  Or maybe it just looked bad because the 458 was just so good?

The review is pretty old. So presumably McLaren corrected most of this stuff. I was just taken aback by the negative real world experience for a car that (for the most part) got glowing reviews from trade press.  

This Tony guy is full of shit, the way he speak about cars he should be perma banned from owning one. Hell, I have never heard of a REAR engine Ferrari, I think Ferraris are called MID engine...........

He bought one of the initial batch of 12Cs, aka beta cars, same as mine. But over the last year or so McLaren has a couple updates that pretty much corrected most of the 'flaws' of the car, even the infotainment system can be upgraded to the newest version in the P1, 650S, but for a fee.

Traction control system on the 12C is out of this world, Ferrari's doesn't even come close. Traction wise the only thing better is 4wd cars. It is that good.

The slide to open doors is the main feature of the car, only the 2012 cars have them, a lot of the owners complained they can't open their doors so McLaren switched to a ugly button. Personally I love it, I never had problem opening the door at all, it's so easy. As for scratching the paint part, hmm, the under side of the door faces down, no one can see it, and the bottom of the door have it worse as it faces the road and gets bombarded by road debris, I didn't see him complaint about THAT. Tony just being a cry baby.

Climate controls on the doors is a minus? God where did this guy come from? It's just DIFFERENT, not better nor worse. Suck it up.

12C has a much better dash layout. Miles better. There are 3 pods in front plus the one in the centre console, Ferrari one has the 3 in front. One less display. Plus, with the rear view camera showing on the right screen, it's fine if I back up straight, but it's useless once there is any kind of steering input as the wheel blocks off the screen. The digital speed display on the 12C is more useful, big numbers in the central tach, Ferrari hide it on the side pods with small digits.

Tony is suppose to be a veteran racer? Of what? Hot wheels? He can't even tell metal from plastic. OMG. Even my 12 yr old can tell the 12C has METAL paddle, aluminum to be exact. It moves with the wheel so that's a big minus, but it acts like a rocker switch so that's a big positive. My perfect paddles? Big stationary ones like the Ferrari ones but with the McLaren's rocker function. Paddles that rotates have a tendency to get lost when you need them.

With all the updates done, the 12C was a better can than the 458. While I had replaced my 12C with the Speciale, and the Speciale is a much better car than the 458, I am not sure if the Speciale is a better one than the 12C. 

Truth is, yes I like the Speciale, and yes I miss the 12C too now that I don't have it.

Too bad McLaren ruined it by putting the joker face on the 650S facelift.

--

noone1, Whoopsy, thanks so much!  What excellent feedback

DaveChapin:

noone1, Whoopsy, thanks so much!  What excellent feedback

Agree Smiley great report.

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

Pretty amazing what the internet contains.

Found a couple pictures of my car taken in the local airport cargo

10294409_10202108634904810_2808139553532875798_n.jpg

10301056_10202108634664804_3202469170074291248_n.jpg

Pictures dated May 13th, and that makes my car the first one in Canada haha.

--

A guy took delivery of his Speciale from F. of Ontario on or before May 6th. Ontario wins! LOL! indecision

Damn it! Haha

Almost forgot, I had my dealer swapped the front wheels side to side, and now the tire temperature are within 1 degree magically. 

--

So cool - how could you find those pictures Whoopsy... thats funny! BTW - love the color combo, car looks amazing!

Friend of mine let me know there is a local car site that has a spotted thread, and found my car there. 

There are probably more pictures out there somewhere, every time I go out there are always people taking pictures of the Speciale with the middle aged man behind the wheel 

--

Whoopsy:

Friend of mine let me know there is a local car site that has a spotted thread, and found my car there. 

There are probably more pictures out there somewhere, every time I go out there are always people taking pictures of the Speciale with the middle aged man behind the wheel 

Wait until you get the 918 - you'll have car paparazzi following you everywhere. Smiley

Your Speciale is a very attractive car.  I'm not much for taking pics of others cars, or rubber-necking as they drive past, but I'd be sure to stare at your car for a minute or two if it was parked nearby.  Discretely of course...

What's your current level of excitement in driving it (on the richter scale I guess)?  I'm sure I would be out in it almost constantly myself.  Are you beginning to feel a need to ration your mileage at all?  (or perhaps I should say "kilometerage?")  

I know perspectives vary on F-cars, but I'm afraid I would be driving the wheels off of that car, across the open countryside, listening to the howl.

I hope you are thoroughly enjoying it.

I would stare on it, too - not even discret! The car is a stunner and as I love cars I dont mind showing my interest!

.... amazing world of internet! Cant wait to read your delivery and first drive report!

IMG_2420.JPG

This is how sticky the Cup2 is.

Took a nice drive in the Speciale, got the tires up to around 45-50C, went home to wash the car and noticed the rubber actually melts and encased the pebbles.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690178 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409550 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255888 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235124 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65618 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858289 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774484 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM