Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

hey guys,

I'm a little confused as to what I should do....I went to the dealer today trade in my 997.2 Turbo for a GT3, they had 2 stock cars one white and one black.... out of both cars the white one had the better options and I was more convinced with it, but they informed me it was just sold while I was looking at it and introduced me to the new owner.  I basically have to either take the black one, or wait until January for new build....and I'm not even sure about that date.  Another reason I didn't want the black one, is that my turbo is black and I've had it for 4.5 years now.  I really wanted a change..:(:(  my options are take the black one, wait until jan with a car specced like I want, or maybe order another Turbo...? I'm really confused :(

Buy a used GT3 in the color you like. No point in taking a car with a color you don't want. FWIW, UNLESS the Jan allocation is in written in stone I would not rely on  it.

Rberry, it really come to the use of it. If you want a turbo take the S one. To be honest taking it now is fine to me there won't be any change with another model. One key option is the lift system and that is very useful. In two words either passion or reason...food for thought

philgva:

Rberry, it really come to the use of it. If you want a turbo take the S one. To be honest taking it now is fine to me there won't be any change with another model. One key option is the lift system and that is very useful. In two words either passion or reason...food for thought

@phil :  so, you use the lift option ?  I did not want to take it when ( if ) I finally get to order the RS ..... or GT3 .

And did you notice a change in the exhaust sound after the engine switch ?  If I remember well you said the sound aaas the same , but some seem to say the sound is now more mute ????

@Moser : I would not take the black GT3 if the color + options are not what you really want . Either wait patiently for your personal order ...... and get ready to wait until next spring or buy a 997 GT3 in the meantime until you know what you want .   As to a new Turbo, I would not worry too much about the facelift, unless the new back light  and front blinker shape is important to you .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

@gnil, the lift is a must in our region now the car has been lowered it is even more important. It is expensive but worth the convenience. For the exhaust, oh no I am really happy makes a better sounds when valves are open, it add 2-3db just enough to be more special and ok for track noise.

Hi guys,

So I've decided to order a brand new GT3 with confirmed delivery week 47. I'm happy as I get a 2015 model with all modifications done at factory, with color and specs I want. Below is my build... I will need some help to remove some options from current GT3 owners, I'm having doubts about PCM, Sports Chrono, and the Adaptive Sports Seats. Also are ceramics a must?  I've had a nightmarish time writing this post in Explorer so switched to chrome, so much easier, couldn't copy past anything in explorer and half the letter I type wouldn't input...sorry rant over...build below...

Regs

Mo

911 GT3

Exterior Colour

Sapphire Blue Metallic

N1

USD 1,650

Interior Colour

Black leatherette interior, seats leather/Alcantara

USD 0

Exterior

LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)

USD 3,960

Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor

P13

USD 770

90l-Fuel tank

USD 0

Privacy glass (rear side windows and rear window)

XPL

USD 770

Transmission / Chassis

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)

USD 0

Lifting system front axle

USD 4,160

Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)

USD 12,850

Wheels

20-inch GT3 wheel

USD 0

Interior

null

Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way, electric)

null

P07

USD 3,430

Fire extinguisher

USD 210

Luggage net passenger footwell

USD 0

Floor mats

USD 150

Vehicle key painted

CPK

USD 350

Interior Carbon

Carbon interior package (without leather interior)

EGB

USD 1,180

Centre console trim Carbon

XHM

USD 700

Audio / Comm

Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module

P23

USD 4,400

Sports Chrono

USD 2,230

Sound Package Plus

USD 820

Don't need ceramics and unless you have bad roads or a difficult entry way the lift is not necessary. Fire extinguisher is a rip off. To small and much cheaper to buy on your own. You are paying $350 for a painted key? Guys are doing it on their own. Unless Porsche has changed its way you need Code 619 which is the mobile Phone preparation (its free). Otherwise you will not be able to use your mobile phone in the car. Also, get the smokers package which is free. It provides you with a cover over the small area below the shifter and an addition outlet for devices.

HI Nberry,

Thanks for the reply...regarding the lifting system, it's a must here in Lebanon.  Our roads are crap and tons of mountain like speed bumps.... the expensive option is the ceramic brakes,if I can get away without ordering them I'll be happy.  I do a lot of hard mountain driving, but we don't have a track to drive on, so the question was always do I really need them?  With my turbo I've had to change my steel brake discs at 40,000kms and I drove that car extremely hard, I figure the steel brakes will be more than capable of doing the job. Thanks for the heads up regarding smokers package, I've added that to the list:)  There is no free option regarding the telephone connectivity on our list here.  There is something called a telephone module, which I've added and it costs 230, but I think that's to be able to insert the SIM directly into the PCM.

Regs

Mo

PCCB are good if you WANT them . But you do not NEED them . The steel brakes are perfect and most GT3's 991 I have seen on track have steel brakes .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

PCCB are good if you WANT them . But you do not NEED them . The steel brakes are perfect and most GT3's 991 I have seen on track have steel brakes .

Mine had PCCB but is now fitted with Cup steel discs exactly because the ceramics are not the best option for track work.

I would only consider PCCB if you tend to use your car mostly on the road.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

If you are not going to track it the PCCB are the only way to go - I loved them!!  If only for the fact that you will not have brake dust!  Fantastic brakes and by far one of the best options IMHO.  I miss them like crazy on my turbo!  The ablility to scrub off speed consistently and so accurately is incredible.  You never feel like the car will not stop exactly where you want - and smoothly if you want to.  Stopping can be as much fun as going fast - and the PCCB will thrill passengers as much as the acceleration.

Moser:

HI Nberry,

Thanks for the reply...regarding the lifting system, it's a must here in Lebanon.  Our roads are crap and tons of mountain like speed bumps.... the expensive option is the ceramic brakes,if I can get away without ordering them I'll be happy.  I do a lot of hard mountain driving, but we don't have a track to drive on, so the question was always do I really need them?  With my turbo I've had to change my steel brake discs at 40,000kms and I drove that car extremely hard, I figure the steel brakes will be more than capable of doing the job. Thanks for the heads up regarding smokers package, I've added that to the list:)  There is no free option regarding the telephone connectivity on our list here.  There is something called a telephone module, which I've added and it costs 230, but I think that's to be able to insert the SIM directly into the PCM.

Regs

Mo

Telephone connectivity option number in the US is 619 and there is no charge. Regarding the lifter when I ordered my car I asked about the need for the lifter. My sales agent took me out to the dealer lot and show me two 997 GT3's waiting to be serviced.. He told me one had a lifter and the other did not. Both had scrapes to the front splitter and I could not tell which had the lifter based on the damage to the splitter. That said, go with what you think you need.

Give me regards to my cousin Nabih Berri.

Thanks for all the help, I'll be going in tomorrow hopefully to finalize and drop off my car from now :(

Nberry, hahaha I will say hi to him for you, he lives down the street from me... you are very well versed in Lebanese politicians :)

@moser, agree with gnil, to be honest PCCB is a rip off. We have mountain also in Switzerland, just put Pagid brake pad, brake line and RS castrol brake fluid. It is perfect. Ok the PCCB are a bit larger and have a WOW effect but that is to me not a good option especially at this price. Test showed same braking distance several times.

If people were to put the cost of PCCB into driving instructions / events instead, I think this would improve their lap times a lot more :)
    --

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Moser:

Thanks for all the help, I'll be going in tomorrow hopefully to finalize and drop off my car from now :(

Nberry, hahaha I will say hi to him for you, he lives down the street from me... you are very well versed in Lebanese politicians :)

Nabih is my dad's nephew.Smiley

philgva:

@moser, agree with gnil, to be honest PCCB is a rip off. We have mountain also in Switzerland, just put Pagid brake pad, brake line and RS castrol brake fluid. It is perfect. Ok the PCCB are a bit larger and have a WOW effect but that is to me not a good option especially at this price. Test showed same braking distance several times.

Another PCCB benefit many forget is the reduction in unsprung weight. Very vital for a serious sports car.

It's some 5 kg per corner.

--

"Form follows function"

Not so on 991 Turbo or GT3. New PCCBs are pretty big in size and offer marginal weight advantage. 

Especially with monstrous 20" wheels and tyres, which negate much of the saving.  And if it wasn't for such low profile tyres you wouldn't need the extra weight of PASM either

--

Gen II Cayman S

+100% on PCCBs.

I had them on my 996GT2 with 630hp courtesy of Ruf. After wearing through 6 PCCB discs on trackday it went to steels. Little noticeable effect on handling (slightly less wheel travel control on rough surfaces), but the steels (with proper pads and fluid) never once faded on any trackday on 10+ european circuits. Also did multiple back-to-back 200mph to 50mph hard stops without any fade (with proper full 100% on the brakes to slow in around 500-600 metres on a runway).

The only real advantage of PCCBs was the complete lack of brake dust which was very nice.

GR:

Especially with monstrous 20" wheels and tyres, which negate much of the saving.  And if it wasn't for such low profile tyres you wouldn't need the extra weight of PASM either

Absolutely agree. I find the insane growth in rim-size rather disturbing. Yes, 20"-wheels (or bigger) may look impressive at first sight (though looks are very subjective), but at least for me rim size went over the top in last years. Give me 17" and 18" for standard and 18" and 19" for perfomance cars, that's enough for me.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Even F1, or at least Pirelli, is looking at switching from 13" to 18" wheels, which really makes no sense at all.

Rossi:
    GR:

Absolutely agree. I find the insane growth in rim-size rather disturbing. Yes, 20"-wheels (or bigger) may look impressive at first sight (though looks are very subjective), but at least for me rim size went over the top in last years. Give me 17" and 18" for standard and 18" and 19" for perfomance cars, that's enough for me.

Hard to fit 410mm brake rotors inside smaller wheels

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    Rossi:
    GR:

Of course you are right with that, but let me ask: do we really need 410mm brake rotors, is that really neccessary? Smiley

--

I have a GT3 ,and love it 

just a heads up make sure you specify Bluetooth you have specify the option separately unlike other 991 

mime was delivered without the Bluetooth option 

Rossi:
    Grant:
    Rossi:
    GR:

Of course you are right with that, but let me ask: do we really need 410mm brake rotors, is that really neccessary? Smiley

Really necessary? Please don't use such challenging statements. It is frowned upon. Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Rossi:
    Grant:
    Rossi:
    GR:

When you have a car that is both quite heavy and very fast, there is a tremendous amount of heat energy to be dissipated at the race track.  Big brakes are necessary when you combine heavy, fast, and track driving.  If you only have 2 of the above, then you can survive with smaller brakes.

in the case of the GT3, you also have a 4th variable, large sticky track tires that come standard on the car and a mild amount of aero downforce which is the 5th element.  Yes, I would need big brakes on this car!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    Rossi:
    Grant:
    Rossi:
    GR:

When you have a car that is both quite heavy and very fast, there is a tremendous amount of heat energy to be dissipated at the race track.  Big brakes are necessary when you combine heavy, fast, and track driving.  If you only have 2 of the above, then you can survive with smaller brakes.

in the case of the GT3, you also have a 4th variable, large sticky track tires that come standard on the car and a mild amount of aero downforce which is the 5th element.  Yes, I would need big brakes on this car!

Definition of "big", please, for me 380 mm seems big enough. Smiley

--

KresoF1:

Not so on 991 Turbo or GT3. New PCCBs are pretty big in size and offer marginal weight advantage. 

They are bigger than the standard steel discs?

--

"Form follows function"

Now your nickname makes sense to me :):) if you ever come to Lebanon pm me, its always a pleasure to meet a fellow Porsche enthusiast

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762699 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435501 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260576 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257617 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80961 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872428 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807805 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM