Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT Thread Closed

AMG GT/GT-S will be priced little bit above 991C/CS Coupe models and will offer better standard equipment.

It is AMG production only model after all, not something like C63 or M3.

Even base price of Jaguar F-Type R(btw, this car is fast i straight line only. M4 is way better in drive dynamics and only little bit slower in straight line) is app 105K Euro in Germany.

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

My guess is: The GT with 510 hp will be under 100k EUR (base price) and the GT with the less powerful engine somewhere below 90k EUR base price. Of course the stronger GT with Performance Package will have a base price of at least 115k EUR but let's just wait for the official announcement and the official prices.

That would be the ultimate bargain - close to 991TT performance for 100k Smiley Let's hope for that Smiley

Don't keep your hopes up. My sales guy didn't have the prices yet and I don't know how accurate his information was.

However, if Mercedes wants to introduce a new product and "steal" customers from others (911), they need to attract these customers somehow. Excessive power is one thing but the price tag works even better.

Nissan did the same with the GT-R. More power, less price. Did they "steal" many customers? (I know no one who gave up their 911 for a GT-R. Maybe someone on the board?)

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:
    RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

My guess is: The GT with 510 hp will be under 100k EUR (base price) and the GT with the less powerful engine somewhere below 90k EUR base price. Of course the stronger GT with Performance Package will have a base price of at least 115k EUR but let's just wait for the official announcement and the official prices.

That would be the ultimate bargain - close to 991TT performance for 100k Smiley Let's hope for that Smiley

Don't keep your hopes up. My sales guy didn't have the prices yet and I don't know how accurate his information was.

However, if Mercedes wants to introduce a new product and "steal" customers from others (911), they need to attract these customers somehow. Excessive power is one thing but the price tag works even better.

Nissan did the same with the GT-R. More power, less price. Did they "steal" many customers? (I know no one who gave up their 911 for a GT-R. Maybe someone on the board?)

My friend who owned 9 different 997s including RS's and Turbos, bought a GT-R instead of a 991. He did eventually get a 991 GT3 but only did 300km before Porsche agreed to buy if back from him, but that is a different story more appropriate for the BBQ thread. :P

I would "try" lots of different brands but not Nissan. Sorry.

I could imagine getting a Ferrari or Lamborghini, maybe even a Jaguar or an Aston Martin or a McLaren but thats it. Period.

The new GT needs to be really good (and special) and judging by the customer group Mercedes seems to target, they could succeed but I am still not sure about it, we are talking Mercedes here.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

The GTR wasn't a looker. If they can make a sexy design, the car would be a massive success. Badges are one thing, but no one can deny a gorgeous and somewhat exclusive car with unreal performance.

If the GTR performed like a GTR, was priced like a high-end GTR, and looked an Aventador, it wouldn't matter if the brand was Nissan or Kia. They car would sell like hotcakes.

GTR was interesting, but not exotic. Too tuner looking. A better design would have put one in my garage for sure.

KresoF1:

This picture gives me a bit of hope about the design, but I'm far from convinced. At least the proportions look good, but details could ruin this car. I think the magic of the SLS (apart from the doors) was that its design was just enough on the strange side to make people look twice. This looks too watered down with the mainstream MB elements. 

IMHO AMG GT looks better design wise then SLS AMG. 

The GT does look better than the SLS or the Mclaren Mercedes that came before it. The hatchback will be convenient also but maybe they should put a limiter on its hatch open height, no reason for it to go up that far.

I think its a good idea, and would have been a better one with a cleaner center console area and even better yet with a manual gearbox. Lots of people really dont use all the tech and I wonder if its autobox will be as good as the rest of the car.

JimFlat6:

The GT does look better than the SLS or the Mclaren Mercedes that came before it. The hatchback will be convenient also but maybe they should put a limiter on its hatch open height, no reason for it to go up that far.

I think its a good idea, and would have been a better one with a cleaner center console area and even better yet with a manual gearbox. Lots of people really dont use all the tech and I wonder if its autobox will be as good as the rest of the car.

I don't know about looking better. SLS is much more exotic looking with its wide and low stance, whereas this just looks like a "normal" sports car. As for the hatch opening, I don't think it is very high at all. Need to bear in mind that the car is very low so the height is probably the perfect height for closing it. 

I think you are right about that.

And it does look too normal, its almost like a computer designed a generic sports car.

The Car and Driver article said that the AMG GT was not as thrilling of a vehicle as their 1974 C111 coupe was. angry

Basically MB shortened the SLS, added dynamic motor mounts a 4.0 engine and voila, its a front engine coupe with a big price tag. Good luck chasing a 911 on a downhill mountain road in one of those! Even with its rear weight bias, the physics of the GT's 3600lb front engine layout will self defeat it.

Jim, did we read the same article? Since your interpretation is far from what is really written in the article. 

Nevertheless,  you hate AMG GT.  I can live with that. 

LOL You need to re read the article. I don't hate AMG either. There is a reason why exceptional sportscars are rear or mid engined. If the AMG weighed less, its chassis and motor and brakes wouldn't have to work so hard. Sadly for AMG GT its going to get its clock cleaned by Vipers and Corvettes in international racing.

Compared to the 911, the AMG GT will probably be less tiring on a long trip, because as a guess, it wont have the tire noise inside the cabin that you get with a 991. I would also guess it will be way quicker to V max than a non Turbo 991. But damn its heavy for a 2 seater.

JimFlat6:

LOL You need to re read the article. I don't hate AMG either. There is a reason why exceptional sportscars are rear or mid engined. If the AMG weighed less, its chassis and motor and brakes wouldn't have to work so hard. Sadly for AMG GT its going to get its clock cleaned by Vipers and Corvettes in international racing.

LOL? Why?

Thing is simple-we apparently did not read the same article...

"Our joy ride that day was another winged wonder—a mustard-colored Mercedes C111 coupe powered by a four-rotor Wankel engine. The venue, aptly nicknamed the wall of death, was a test track adjacent to Mercedes’ Unterturkheim manufacturing plant. Faced with insufficient land to create a suitable straightaway, some courageous architect proposed a turnaround loop banked at 90-degrees to effectively double the track’s length.

Uhlenhaut guided us on a couple of unforgettable laps with the calm assurance of a mother wheeling a baby stroller. When the C111 spiraled into the curve, its windshield filled with a wall of concrete. This gullwing’s rotary engine was naturally smooth without a flywheel; throttle response was so spontaneous, the tach needle couldn’t keep up with the whirring rotors. Its shrill wail sounded like a lion homing in on a kill.

Those vivid details sprang to mind when I recently scored another passenger-seat date with Mercedes. Tobias Moers, the recently promoted head of AMG, offered me a ride in the 2016 GT-S sports car that was built on a pilot line months ahead of regular production. AMG’s role is spinning Mercedes’ silver star like a roulette wheel to land customers who crave the latest strides in driving emotion. I was here to find out if AMG could top the experimental C111 in my mental scrapbook."

"Driving the GT-S on a racetrack or indulging its near-200-mph top speed might just topple the C111 from its lofty perch. But today I’m satisfied knowing that Tobias Moers, the modern Uhlenhaut, is the perfect enthusiast to guide AMG’s fortunes."

Kacher is also pretty positive, saying the GT confidently enters the sports car world of Porsche & Co. Porsche has many fans on this forum—including me—but as someone who likes their cars I'm happy for any credible challenger that comes along. Competition is what really drives people, companies and, ultimately, cars.

Georg Kacher
    Fazit
    Mercedes kann auch Sport: Der 510 PS starke AMG GT fasziniert als schneller und souveräner Racer ohne offensichtliche Tücken. Damit reiht er sich ganz selbstbewusst in die Sportwagen-Welt von Porsche & Co ein. Und dürfte dem Elfer künftig ein ebenbürtiger Gegner sein. Wir freuen uns schon drauf.

Kreso, The PR on the AMG is following the same "911 beater" theme path as Jag used for the F type and that is not too clever. If they had proved it, yes.  Before its proven, no. Pre sale unproven claims seem beneath the dignity of Mercedes.

As for the Don Sherman's C111 comment above, "might" is not the same as "will"  or "obviously will" or  actually "has".

Mercedes has the money, ability and talent to build whatever they want to. They could have built something radically different than a shortened SLS to compete -surpass the  911.  They could bury the 911 into history if they wanted to. The C111 in its era was so shockingly advanced for speed, engineering and looks that it made the 911 seem like a ox cart, and when they decided to build it Mercedes wasn't running around claiming it was going to be a 911 beater either. They didn't have to.

neunelf:

Porsche has many fans on this forum—including me—but as someone who likes their cars I'm happy for any credible challenger that comes along. Competition is what really drives people, companies .

I agree Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

JimFlat6:

Sorry, but reading those posts are from someone who don't have a clue or is just trolling around...

C'mon, guys...let's be civil. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Isn't the GT front-mid engine?

Grant:
    neunelf:

Porsche has many fans on this forum—including me—but as someone who likes their cars I'm happy for any credible challenger that comes along. Competition is what really drives people, companies .

I agree Smiley

Grant,

AMG is testing GT-S and GT this week in Denver. Maybe you will see two mules on the streets...

I'll keep me eyes open.  Probably driving up Mt Evans for some high altitude testing - highest paved road in N. America (I think over 14,300 ft or 4,400 meters).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

jesse:
    JimFlat6:

Sorry, but reading those posts are from someone who don't have a clue or is just trolling around...

The AMG GT won't have to compare itself to the plebs with Vipers and Corvettes... it's an entirely different buyer and market Smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Just in the last week I have seen the car 5 times here in the black forest. the drivers didn't even boater when I made pictures and videos. But - couldn't see anything we haven't seen so far on it. I'm getting used to the shape. my wife didn't like it, says the rear looks to much like e-type. hehe.... wife-y has always right ; )

as far as I know they are with Getrag the gear box manufacturer. the sound is typical MB AMG, just beautiful. the width and over all dimensions of the car are indeed perfect, looks just right from any angle.

Interesting that AMG seem to have no problem getting proper sound from a turbocharged engine, unlike Porsche with the 911 Turbo.

--

911 S Cabrio (2013), Panamera GTS (2013)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803780 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448680 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266285 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90148 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6712 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885996 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833954 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM