Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The "Hellcat" has arrived

RC:
    . 0-100 kph in 4.4 seconds over and over again. For a 2.5 ton truck, amazing.

Hmmm.... I need to get the electronic adjustments I guess. Funny - I even hit once the 4.2 and got the 4.4. sometimes but it was in service I only can achieve the 4.8? Smiley

RC:
    ...I have been out in the Jeep and the Boxster quite a few times and while the Boxster doesn't get much attention, the Jeep does. A lot. 

Same here - for sure the car which gets the most attention out of the cars I ever owned. I dont know why but people really love this monster. Zero jealousy and only good comments. Wherever I park people walk around and are taking pictures. 

And yes - its a lot of fun to drive. I prefer it even over my 991S. I understand you RC - I think I need an 991 Turbo to have something giving more fun - my car doesnt do it Smiley

I've arrived late to this thread but have had a similar experience with Lars and RC about the Jeep SRT. Always knew they existed but due to prejudices about US auto quality issues and so-so performance of the older models I  never took it seriously. I considered BMW X5M, ML63 and Cayenne Turbo however in Australia these are seriously expensive (200-260K AUD on the roadSmiley). One day  I saw a '14 model SRT and wow -had to test drive one. From the moment I sat in it I fell in love. The interior build quality realy surprised me and it has every gadget you could want. The only thing it doesn't do is park itself! On the road it got even better. It doesn't steer like a Cayenne Turbo or GTS but it's not too bad. The instantaneous shove when you hit the throttle puts my 997TT to shame (until the turbos kick inSmiley) and the noise from the exhaust is one of the best V8 sounds I've heard in a street legal vehicle. Lastly, in Australia the price with better stereo and sunroof was 83k AUD on the road, much less than half the price of the Euro cars (Their importers really screw us here). I was sold. I chose white as I liked the contrast between the white and the black grille/headlight surround. Took delivery in late March and for the next 5 weeks drove it exclusively, only driving the Porsche briefly once a week to keep the battery charged!  I love my Turbo, but driving the SRT just puts a big smile on my face in a way the Porsche doesn't. Can't explain it. I've told the dealer that if he gets confirmation of the Hellcat (possibly 2017 model) to put me down for one. Even at 10-15K more, in relation to the Euro SVUs its still a bargain in Australia.  BTW and FYI 991 Turbo S is 470,000 AUD on the road hereSmiley(had to get that whinge in) and not sure why US/Euro SRTs don't get the "Hemi 6.4" badge on the front fenders.

IMAG0514.jpg 159950862.jpg

In UK, the SRT is a £60K+ car with historical (or should that be hysterical) residuals of about 40% in 1st year. Just seems to be too much of a gamble in UK market. At £45K - might be slightly more approachable.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

In Australia there is a relatively short supply and I suppose our fuel prices are less daunting than in the UK. Even '13s (previous model with 5 speed) are still selling for 65-70K AUD

Aussie997TT:

BTW and FYI 991 Turbo S is 470,000 AUD on the road hereSmiley

Seriously?? WTF? Is that from import tax?

We do have a 30% luxury car tax that applies to the wholesale value over 57K plus a VAT of 10% but that goes nowhere near explaing the difference in price of these cars between the US and Australia (over double even allowing for our slightly lower dollar). Try it for youself on the Porsche.com.au website (build your car) and use postcode 2000 for example (but we are getting off thread!). I suspect there is a limited number of cars (RHD) the importer can get so they price them to what the market will bear.

@Aussie997TT: Welcome, you are the third Jeep GC SRT owner here. kiss People don't believe how good this US SUV is, so much prejudice. Two hints: Diablosport Trinity and sport exhaust (not sure what is street legal in Australia).

Guys, no matter where you live in Europe, check with your local (official) Jeep dealer for the real price of the SRT.

The MSRP is 79k EUR in Germany but when I asked at the dealer, he gave me an instant 15k EUR rebate (there is some sort of special offer sponsored by Chrysler) and added two years of warranty on top (4 years or 100k km instead of the 2 years).

Not sure if this offer is valid for Germany only but it is worth asking.

Btw: Chrysler (officially) imports only 80 SRT or so per year, my large dealer gets only two(!) more SRT for the whole year 2014 and one is already sold.

This is really weird but with the Hellcat engine and only a mild price increase, Chrysler could sell tons of these Jeeps all over the world.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Lars997:
    RC:

Hmmm.... I need to get the electronic adjustments I guess. Funny - I even hit once the 4.2 and got the 4.4. sometimes but it was in service I only can achieve the 4.8? Smiley

I had some massive software updates applied last week (engine, gearbox, rear diff., heating, radio, etc.) and the engine/gearbox control units were reset in the process. Meaning: They need to "learn" again and adapt the ignition timings again, so performance went down the drain until it "adapts" again. The warmer the weather outside, the longer it takes to adapt I'm afraid. Mine dropped from 4.4 seconds from 0-100 kph to 5.4 seconds from 0-100 kph. Also kW value dropped from 375 kW to 308 kW. Both measured with the SRT performance app. Now I am waiting for the increase and adaptation but according to my dealer, it could take up to 500-1000 km, depending on outside temperature and fuel quality.

I assume your dealer updated the software without asking/telling you.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

bridggar:

In UK, the SRT is a £60K+ car with historical (or should that be hysterical) residuals of about 40% in 1st year. Just seems to be too much of a gamble in UK market. At £45K - might be slightly more approachable.

Well at £24k for a 12mth old example it would make for a hell of a buy!

RC:
    Lars997:
    RC:

I had some massive software updates applied last week (engine, gearbox, rear diff., heating, radio, etc.) and the engine/gearbox control units were reset in the process. Meaning: They need to "learn" again and adapt the ignition timings again, so performance went down the drain until it "adapts" again. The warmer the weather outside, the longer it takes to adapt I'm afraid. Mine dropped from 4.4 seconds from 0-100 kph to 5.4 seconds from 0-100 kph. Also kW value dropped from 375 kW to 308 kW. Both measured with the SRT performance app. Now I am waiting for the increase and adaptation but according to my dealer, it could take up to 500-1000 km, depending on outside temperature and fuel quality.

I assume your dealer updated the software without asking/telling you.

--

I think the JGC SRT8 is really great in value for money. I'm also really surprised that with this truck 4.4 sec. should be possible. But what I can't  understand is why the software update must degrade the performance values ​so ​extremely.

Ok, it's an adaptive software, but what does that mean? At the end there are bits and bytes which produce a specific characteristic. Why they can't save the last data on a stick and import it again after the software update? And it needs up to 1,000 km till the software has got it? A good joke isn't it?

Nevertheless, I want to have that truck, sooner or later...blush

Happy drivingwink

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

The problem is that when the control units are reset, they need to adapt all values again because some parameters changed and there may also be some "errors" which have been wiped out with the updates. I'm not an engine software expert but I think we all can take a good guess why a new adaptation is necessary, for example regarding fuel quality, air pressure, air temperature, etc. etc. etc.

I don' t know how long it takes. Just yesterday, after driving around 100 km in total, the performance has improved from 0-100 kph from 5.4 seconds to 4.8 seconds. So it may not take 1000 km until the old performance is back but I expect it to take at least a couple of hundreds of kms. The biggest issue seems to be the outside temperature, we had relatively cool days but now warmer days are ahead of us and then, the adaptation could take longer.

Also, the performance was 4.4 seconds with an almost empty fuel tank. With 93 liters of fuel onboard, the performance was around 4.6 to 4.7 seconds (4.7 seconds were always achievable).

The most impressive thing about the SRT is the sound (with the proper exhaust and even without) and even more, the acceleration from standstill. There is no lag whatsoever, you floor the gas and the SRT shoots instantly forward like a rocket. Amazing. Not even sure why this baby has a launch control, you don't really need it.

--

I agree. The best launches are when you DON"T floor it. Push quickly to 50-75% throttle travel then once you're going flooring it seems best for me. I find it a lttle hesitant if you push it all the way quickly. My auto 997 is a bit the same.Smiley

Aussie997TT:

I agree. The best launches are when you DON"T floor it. Push quickly to 50-75% throttle travel then once you're going flooring it seems best for me. I find it a lttle hesitant if you push it all the way quickly. My auto 997 is a bit the same.Smiley

Check out DS Trinity and the Throttle Boost option (I have 20%). Improves 0-100 kph acceleration from standstill by aprox. 0.4 seconds and it is by 0.1 seconds faster than with launch control. Smiley This alone is already worth the cost for the Trinity. Some may not like more than 10% boost improvement but I went for the maximum 20%.

--

Update on the Challenger SRT with "Hellcat" engine: Hold your breath...707 hp.

--

HP is now cheap, but unfortunately good looks still aren't. Could have 1000hp and no one would really care.

Weighs like 4300lbs too, I think. Pass.

Hellcat will have 707 bhp and 650 ft lbs of torque. Numbers were released yesterday.Weighs 4250lbs. But with 650 ft lbs of torgue that doesn't really matter. It will be a rocketship.

the 707 HP for a good price would excuse for many other '' not so perfect '' choices  . That car could be such a fun toy . Not a car that you cherish and have to have evything perfect, but just a beast that gives you a big smile each time you push the throttle .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

the 707 HP for a good price would excuse for many other '' not so perfect '' choices  . That car could be such a fun toy . Not a car that you cherish and have to have evything perfect, but just a beast that gives you a big smile each time you push the throttle .

Exactly. Give me this puppy for under 80k EUR and I get it in a heartbeat. Had to refrain myself from getting the Ford Mustang GT500 a couple of weeks ago, what a car for so little money (70k EUR with SVT package).

--

You can actually fit 4 people and their luggage in the Dodge. Its pretty big.

JimFlat6:

You can actually fit 4 people and their luggage in the Dodge. Its pretty big.

Another point well made. Smiley

I think some of the above comments are the reason why US cars don't sell better outside the US: Many US manufacturers don't seem to realize that there is a potential in Europe (and other regions) and that the bad reputation may actually be (only) in the minds of Americans. Yes, the Corvette has a pretty bad (pimp) reputation over here but this is something actually GM never tried to "correct". An image campaign in Europe would have helped a lot, especially with the new Corvette but there is...nothing. Nada. Sad.

--

Perhaps they don't really want to expand into Europe? After all, it's not the easiest places to do business for the US of A.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

I see everyday a Camaro or a Mustang on our streets ... the Challenger a bit less . Even the Corvette is quite a bit around .  They have great value for performance ..... 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

US auto companies are big in Europe. Ford and GM do huge sales worldwide. But for USA models to be designed with the elegant and sophisticated look and finishes that European buyers like? Forget it. GM especially. GM can't even finish the interior or exterior design of the new Corvette right after 7 generations of models and thats with someone named Tadge Juechter in charge.  And if you want a real laugh see and drive what Buick does to reskinned Opels in the US. UK will get a RHD Mustang and the ROW will get Mustangs equipped for their markets.

The Dodge Challenger is what it is. A mix of S class, E class chassis parts with a US body and a kick ass engine that makes you wonder just what the heck AMG is doing. Just think if Porsche had bought Chrysler instead of Fiat, you could have had 707hp Hemi Cayennes and Jeep Wranglers with Porsche S Diesel motors. Smiley

Check out its' induction noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msuzJGlsoY

Here are some real life photos (not a fan of the interior though, the speedo cluster is nice but everything else is more suitable for my Jeep, not a sports car).

hellcat1.jpg

hellcat2.jpg

hellcat3.jpg

hellcat4.jpg

--

Official photos:

hell1.jpg

hell2.jpg

--

I would take the black one in a heartbeat, but please, not with the brown seats. That pseudo-elegant look does not really match with the cars bad-ass image.

--

911 S Cabrio (2013), Panamera GTS (2013)

Doesn't the interior look really cheap again?

SciFrog:

Doesn't the interior look really cheap again?

Yes. But that's part of the "muscle Car" price point. V6 Challengers are how much base price? 26K. For that money its size and V6 are what you get. The Hellcat with 707hp will be 59K. Don't expect a Maserati interior in a Dodge. You are buying the motor, wall to wall Bridge of Weir leather and Wilton wool carpeting will not be included in this century. Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762444 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435348 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260507 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257569 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872266 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807644 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM