Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Cayman GT4...

KresoF1:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

Who said fair price? Think €100K at least as German base price. Sounds expensive? Yes.

But... 380mm brakes... PDK a la GT3... Suspension a la GT3... 

Any info about whether there will also be a manual gearbox?

AFAIH there will be two gearbox options.

Thanks! Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Looks nice! Love the wheels.

The spoiler still looks like it has been put together in a shed and I hope they change the side mirrors for the GT3 ones.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

KresoF1:
    Grant:
    lor:
    hzoenvy33:

Just another" 3.4 litre would not make any sense

I think perfect engine would be 3.4 9000rpn 385 hp tuned the same way as GT3 engine

Anything else is just a parts bin special

I like your thinking and my favorite rumor suggested something very similar, but 3.6L and 400hp Smiley

Neither of you is right. Think existing and upgraded engine... 3.8l...

Meaning the 430 hp powerkit motor?  I guess no separate oil tank like GT3?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    KresoF1:
    Grant:
    lor:
    hzoenvy33:

Just another" 3.4 litre would not make any sense

I think perfect engine would be 3.4 9000rpn 385 hp tuned the same way as GT3 engine

Anything else is just a parts bin special

I like your thinking and my favorite rumor suggested something very similar, but 3.6L and 400hp Smiley

Neither of you is right. Think existing and upgraded engine... 3.8l...

If I recall correctly some Porsche engineer once said in an interview that even if they put the 3.4l base Carrera tune in the Cayman it would not make the same power due to intake restrictions. If that is correct then I guess this applies to the 3.8l too and it will not make the same power as 991 X51.

--

Sure hope they stay with 5-lug wheels.  That and manual gearbox (with ~25% lower price, since German GT3 price is 137k Euros) would be meaningful changes from GT3 for me.

--

Grant:

Sure hope they stay with 5-lug wheels.  That and manual gearbox (with ~25% lower price, since German GT3 price is 137k Euros) would be meaningful changes from GT3 for me.

Which puts it right at EUR 105 which happens to be the price of a 991 S with manual Smiley Sounds about right.

--

bluelines:

If I recall correctly some Porsche engineer once said in an interview that even if they put the 3.4l base Carrera tune in the Cayman it would not make the same power due to intake restrictions. If that is correct then I guess this applies to the 3.8l too and it will not make the same power as 991 X51.

With that big rear wing and decklid, they will have room to improve the intake tract.

--

KresoF1:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

Who said fair price? Think €100K at least as German base price. Sounds expensive? Yes.

Hi- Have you heard whether they have made any fundamental changes to the rear strut suspension arrangement?  I always heard this was a limitation in making the 986/987/981 a serious track car.

--

Grant:
    bluelines:

With that big rear wing and decklid, they will have room to improve the intake tract.

I don't think the rear wing and decklid makes much difference to the intake. They would have to raise the engine lid in the cabin to make more space for a redesigned intake, which might be fine if they anyway put a roll cage there.

--

bluelines:
    Grant:

Which puts it right at EUR 105 which happens to be the price of a 991 S with manual Smiley Sounds about right.

By my math, it would be slightly less than 991S (but close enough to call it the same), except that the GT4 comes with the following for the same price as the no-options Carrera S (just speculating based on what we have heard here):

1.  Powerkit

2.  GT3 suspension (Sporty PASM with adjustable swaybars and coilover heights)

3.  GT3 steel brakes

4.  GT3-style aerokit

5.  Mid-Engined handling balance

6.  Lighter and smaller than 991

We know that those first 4 options above would make the 991S cost much more than 105 Euros...

--

bluelines:
    Grant:
    bluelines:

I don't think the rear wing and decklid makes much difference to the intake. They would have to raise the engine lid in the cabin to make more space for a redesigned intake, which might be fine if they anyway put a roll cage there.

Engine power output is measured on a static engine test bench (dyno), not in the car, so the wing and decklid play no part in enhancing or restricting the claimed power. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    bluelines:
    Grant:
    bluelines:

Engine power output is measured on a static engine test bench (dyno), not in the car, so the wing and decklid play no part in enhancing or restricting the claimed power. 

I was only thinking there might be more room for less restrictive plumbing - not any potential advantage from the higher air pressure generated by the wing.  But Bluelines is probably correct that the placement of the engine being farther forward depends less on the wing and more on the rear luggage area and how they handle that.

--

Grant:
    fritz:
    bluelines:
    Grant:
    bluelines:

I was only thinking there might be more room for less restrictive plumbing - not any potential advantage from the higher air pressure generated by the wing.  But Bluelines is probably correct that the placement of the engine being farther forward depends less on the wing and more on the rear luggage area and how they handle that.

Gotcha.  Smiley   Also agree that Bluelines' interpretation of the engine developer's statement is probably on target. The mid-engined car's packaging could, quite literally, cramp the induction system's style. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    Grant:
    fritz:
    bluelines:
    Grant:
    bluelines:

Gotcha.  Smiley   Also agree that Bluelines' interpretation of the engine developer's statement is probably on target. The mid-engined car's packaging could, quite literally, cramp the induction system's style. 

Based on my own experience when fitting the GT3 throttle body and IPD intake plenum to my old Boxster. There is zero space to work with. Like packing luggage too full and having to sit on it to get it closed Smiley The Cayman has a bit more space but still cramped. Raising the luggage area could be a solution.

--

bluelines:

Based on my own experience when fitting the GT3 throttle body and IPD intake plenum to my old Boxster. There is zero space to work with. Like packing luggage too full and having to sit on it to get it closed Smiley The Cayman has a bit more space but still cramped. Raising the luggage area could be a solution.

In my 73 911 hotrod you can see the exposed engine (6 velocity stacks) in the rear view mirror as you look through the rear window.  Would be cool if they did something similar, but seems unlikely--

Grant:
    bluelines:

In my 73 911 hotrod you can see the exposed engine (6 velocity stacks) in the rear view mirror as you look through the rear window.  Would be cool if they did something similar, but seems unlikely--

Totally! Smiley

Even if they just do a transparent engine lid (like Ferrari or Audi R8) and less plastic looking engine this would be a huge step forward to today's engine lid bathroom rug Smiley

--

Grant:
    KresoF1:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

Hi- Have you heard whether they have made any fundamental changes to the rear strut suspension arrangement?  I always heard this was a limitation in making the 986/987/981 a serious track car.

Yes, there will be some changes to the rear strut to handle bigger engine with way more power and torque. However,  key is LSD and his implementation...

Great - thanks!

--

KresoF1:
     However,  key is LSD and his implementation...

Any other hints about this?  Do you think it gets Rear Wheel Steering like GT3?  Is the LSD different from GT3?

Thanks!

--

I doubt in RWS. LSD a la GT3 a must.

There was this rumour about RWS in the Autocar, some weeks ago. That Porsche are considering adapting the system for the Cayman GT4.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

There was this rumour about RWS in the Autocar, some weeks ago. That Porsche are considering adapting the system for the Cayman GT4.

I saw that too, but I think it only mentioned the Cayman generally, not specifically the GT4.  Might be for the facelift...

--

So now Car Magazine (UK) is saying the GT4 will have 450 hp twin turbo 3.8L:

Kreso - what do you think of this?  I'd be surprised (car would be much faster than GT3 at my high elevation track, but still thinking NA might be more fun).

--

AFAIK 3.8l boxer produce 430ps with X51 in 991CS. 430ps NA...

There is a little effort needed to get 450ps from that engine in Cayman GT4... 

IMO some info about GT4 engine from that article is wrong.

KresoF1:

AFAIK 3.8l boxer produce 430ps with X51 in 991CS. 430ps NA...

There is a little effort needed to get 450ps from that engine in Cayman GT4... 

IMO some info about GT4 engine from that article is wrong.

Thanks - I agree that something about that article seemed wrong.  Either 3.8L or Turbo, but not both, imo.  3.8 X51 sounds like a good choice.  Do you think it might be modified to have separate oil tank like GT3 if they go with X51 motor?

--

Grant:

So now Car Magazine (UK) is saying the GT4 will have 450 hp twin turbo 3.8L:

I don't think the 981 platform will handle very well with turbo charging, nor will it be much fun. NA please.

--

True dry sump? 

I do not think so. Personally, I would love it, but...

Regarding engine my P source wrote in his last email:"...either 3.8l with around 4XXps or new smaller turbo boxer with 6cyl. Final choice will be determine with gearbox option since with new turbo engine PDK is mandatory. "

KresoF1:

True dry sump? 

I do not think so. Personally, I would love it, but...

Regarding engine my P source wrote in his last email:"...either 3.8l with around 4XXps or new smaller turbo boxer with 6cyl. Final choice will be determine with gearbox option since with new turbo engine PDK is mandatory. "

Interesting!  Turbo PDK would force me to cancel my order - hope they go with X51 and manual option!

--

Grant, 

Problem is that PDK test mule is almost 5s faster then manual mule, both with 3.8l NA. 

Reality is that latest generation of sportscar is designed with DCT as their prime choice. All those "networked" systems apparently work much better with DCT then with manual.

KresoF1:

Grant, 

Problem is that PDK test mule is almost 5s faster then manual mule, both with 3.8l NA. 

Same "problem" as with the GT3 Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM