Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT Thread Closed

Agree. MB should have turned AMG loose to build a mid engine car. The GT shape looks too conservative. It might be step up for SL buyers, but for 911 people it just doesn't have the looks to match its power.

I disagree, I think the F type is the most arrestingly attractive new car in ages. Many many iconic and beautiful cars have had that long hood, short rear shape.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

AMG GT looks like an offspring from a SLS mating with a Cayman.

--

KresoF1:

If someone is interested how will AMG GT really look...

This looks so bad. 

Looks like a Mercedes. : /

I'm sure there is a bigger market for more sporty but conservative looking Mercedes than there is for an exotic car. I'm also sure plenty of I-trade-in-my-sl-every-few-years customers will be interested in it.

That said, it's better looking than an SL, but not even remotely cool. If you don't have/want a Mercedes now, this car certainly isn't going to change you mind. No way it steals 911 customers unless they are first-time potential 911 customers. 

....who don't care about rear seats.... smiley

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

AMG GT will look awsome design wise and performance wise, IMHO. 

All black interior...

Mercedes could catch some 911 customers through a lower price tag. If a 510 hp AMG GT costs 100k EUR only, this could be an incentive. Not sure however they will do it. On the other hand, my local dealer usually offers me 20% on a brand-new car with a one to three month registration on the dealership (I get to drive it all the time), so Mercedes surely knows how to attract customers over here. 

If Mercedes makes a 570 hp version with AWD and only 1.5 t weight at a price tag of 150k EUR, I could be interested. Otherwise, no thanks. It is a Mercedes for god's sake, not a Ferrari (or Porsche for that matter).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I have reconsidered the interior. It has one outstanding feature that some may not have noticed.

It may have the largest ashtray of any current production car. In days of yore, Aston Martins had cigar sized ashtrays, now only the AMG GT will. For that they are to be congratulated.kiss

JimFlat6:

I have reconsidered the interior. It has one outstanding feature that some may not have noticed.

It may have the largest ashtray of any current production car. In days of yore, Aston Martins had cigar sized ashtrays, now only the AMG GT will. For that they are to be congratulated.kiss

Are you serious? Whoever smokes nowadays should have a serious reality check. I had at least half a dozen people with lung cancer in my immediate friendship zone over the past couple of years, so smoking is definitely one of the dumbest things to do. My father stopped smoking 35 years ago and had a lung tumor the size of a tennis ball removed at age 86. Ouch. I would actually congratulate any car manufacturer who finally gets rid of ANY ashtray in their car(s).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

It is not the ashtray but, something else...

Christian I'm sure that is a joke! Lol

Christian, 

Full specs AMG GT 510ps will cost the same € as 991C4S with full specs. AMG will offer better standard equipment.

Since I know all fact about AMG GT I can say with confidence it will be faster autobahn and track wise then any 991CS or 991C4S (even 430ps powerkit version). Performance are on level with standard 991 Turbo (since I will have it soon I will report how it compares with AMG GT when I get it in spring 2015).

I personally like AMG GT design a lot. Finished car look better (to me) then SLS AMG. 

Only two seats and RWD only. A great thing IMHO since I have other car for family matters. 

WAY:

Christian I'm sure that is a joke! Lol

You might be right....Smiley 

Alas, Kreso has assured us that it is not Gods own ashtray, so what could it be? Smiley

I am sure this car will not touch the 911 saleswise. Sales of the Porsche may drop in the next months due to the immenent 991.2 but increase again with the new model.

I expect that this GT will be a polished product but of limited appeal. How many would want a large 2 seater with an old fashioned (XL hood, short rear and the seats on the rear axle) configuration? Its effect on the sportscar market will not be enormous IMO. Traditional  Friends of Mercedes might buy the cabrio version, if it comes.e

--

"Form follows function"

KresoF1:

Christian, 

Full specs AMG GT 510ps will cost the same € as 991C4S with full specs. AMG will offer better standard equipment.

150k EUR? Way too much in my opinion.

Since I know all fact about AMG GT I can say with confidence it will be faster autobahn and track wise then any 991CS or 991C4S (even 430ps powerkit version). Performance are on level with standard 991 Turbo (since I will have it soon I will report how it compares with AMG GT when I get it in spring 2015).

Sounds good.

I personally like AMG GT design a lot. Finished car look better (to me) then SLS AMG. 

Not a fan of the AMG GT (what I've seen so far) and never was a fan of the SLS but kind of liked the special look (different than others) of the car.

Only two seats and RWD only. A great thing IMHO since I have other car for family matters. 

Not sure this is a wise decision from Mercedes.

Btw: I would probably get the Jaguar F-Type Coupe R instead. Local dealer sells a used (3500 km) and fully equipped test car for 105k EUR. This is what I would consider to be a good offer in this class.

--

Just one pretty good question IMO:

Why is 991 Carrera S worth its asking price and AMG GT is not?

Please, do not say because it is Porsche brand after all...

KresoF1:

Please, do not say because it is Porsche brand after all...

Have I ever said the 991 Carrera S is worth the asking price? I actually think that this car is way too expensive, considering average buying prices (with options) of 130-140k EUR.

The best 911 offer is the...GT3. Everything else, well... Smiley

The Turbo S is extremely expensive for what it offers, I agree but I had no other choice (four seats, less exotic look, etc.). My next sports car may not be a Porsche at all if the prices increases but the performance doesn't increase in the same way. Smiley

--

RC:
    KresoF1:

Have I ever said the 991 Carrera S is worth the asking price? I actually think that this car is way too expensive, considering average buying prices (with options) of 130-140k EUR.

The best 911 offer is the...GT3. Everything else, well... Smiley

I think that could be the real issue the AMG GT will face... it will cost like a fully equipped 991 Carrera... which costs like a GT3... which in the end might be the real competitor for the AMG GT Smiley  A lot of people, like myself, buy the 911 for the AWD and the 2+2 seats. The AMG GT cannot offer this so it is not a competitior. However, if RWD and 2 seats are sufficient, then the AMG GT is interesting, but so is the 991 GT3.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

I would also take the jag instead for less money... 991TT real performance from the AMG is doubtful with only 510hp and no AWD/AWS...

@Kreso

we're all looking forward to your specs from your MB GT-order!

-> What colours (in- & outside) and what costs options did you got for?

BTW what about the specs of your upcoming 991 Turbo? when will you have delivery?

IMHO it's not suprising that a car with 510PS is quicker on the AB than a 991 4S

No official prices for AMG GT since car will be officially introduced in early September and orders will be accepted from October 2014. Imola Grey exterior+black interior sounds like potential combo.

991 Turbo? Specs are my brother taste, white exterior+black interior, sport classic wheels since he will in the end have the car.

The 911 is kind of like the swiss army knife of sports cars and you can live with it as your only car. The AMG might appeal more  to buyers with two or three cars who are bored with 911s. I hope that the AMG GT's transmission will be better than its engine.

New, optioned up Jag R types sell for 120K in the US, a buyer in that range can afford a $140K AMG. I don't see how anyone used to the precision of German design could ever be happy with a Jag. For starters its steering wheel hub is not concentric with the steering wheel, the wheel rim is too big as well, the shift paddles are wonky, the gauge fonts are a mixed salad and the touchscreen NAV is years behind even a cheap cell phone. IMHO  too much money to suffer with all of that on a daily basis. You don't get a lot of car for the price. If the Jag was to change all of that, lose 200lbs and drop the price closer to the V6 model, then maybe. And in some ways, Grant is right. Jag should offer a manual just to be unique and appeal to others than just the flocks of luxury sheeple in that segment.

I think you hit it on the head with a few of your comments there Jim. First of all, I looked at the F Type R coupe because it is one sexy looking car. But upon seeing the interior, I went cold. The use of lousy plastics and trims (can't they wrapped them in leather and use real carbon fibre trims!) and the use of weird  fonts put me right off. The whole interior screamed cheap. Sorry jag, I was put off before you even passed me the keys. And then you drive the thing and sure it sounds great, sure it's got some power, but it is heavy and you feel it. Again, didn't do it for me. 

I'm one of those potential buyers who is now a bit bored of a 911. So maybe his GT is the car for me!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mercedes-amg-gt-s-first-review-2014-6-26

AMG GT-S with 510ps will be first on sale. Base GT with same power as forthcoming C63 will come little bit later.  BLACK series model fill follow after two years.

WAY:

(can't they wrapped them in leather and use real carbon fibre trims!) 

options 

sfo:
    WAY:

options 

I asked and apparently there isn't a real carbon fibre trim option? And the ash tray or whatever the storage are is behind the gear lever has really crap quality plastic!

WAY:
    sfo:
    WAY:

options 

I asked and apparently there isn't a real carbon fibre trim option? And the ash tray or whatever the storage are is behind the gear lever has really crap quality plastic!

agree the ash tray is truly nasty and Fisher Price.

you can specify lots of carbon on the outside, including wheels.

If the ash tray proves to be the only blemish on this car, so be it!

--

"Form follows function"

That 'ashtray' is actually a cup holder with a cover on. Germans have this weird fetish that they need to hide/cover up them. 

What's wrong with leaving the 2 round holes as it is? 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM