Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My Speciale

You are still talking about the 997, right?

Concerning the Speciale: first of all, many congrats to this one, it surely is a great car. Perhaps it's only me, but after I've seen your ex-12C and the Speciale side by side, I have to say I like the 12C better. Especially as they are both white with black/carbon accents. Only my very personal opinion, but I still can't get over these (silly) new spoilers at the car, even if they may serve a purpose, which I don't doubt but which are without benefit for 99% of the drivers I guess. Also I don't like these carbon side skirts at any 458, which are a) useless, b) cost a fortune and c) don't go well together with the beautiful side profile of the 458.

But hey, enough nit-picking, enjoy your new toy. indecision

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Whoopsy:

Took my Turbo S for a drive after almost 2 weeks not touching it as I was on the Ferrari the last few days and the 12C the week before.

There is really no substitute. It might not sound as good as the other 2, but it's just as fast, as stable. More comfortable, roomier cabin, much better visibility all around. While it's not much smaller, but it drives a lot smaller than the dimensions would indicate, the missing inches from the width department really shows. Then there is the ground clearance around town, didn't need to wait 5 seconds for the lifter. Perfect calibration of the gearbox. Great traction on all conditions.  It even has the best infotainment system. 

For sports cars that see daily usage,  there is 911 and there is everything else.  

You must have been reading my mind. I was going ask for your comparison with the TTS and what you plan to do with it. I think I now know. Smiley

Rossi:

You are still talking about the 997, right?

Concerning the Speciale: first of all, many congrats to this one, it surely is a great car. Perhaps it's only me, but after I've seen your ex-12C and the Speciale side by side, I have to say I like the 12C better. Especially as they are both white with black/carbon accents. Only my very personal opinion, but I still can't get over these (silly) new spoilers at the car, even if they may serve a purpose, which I don't doubt but which are without benefit for 99% of the drivers I guess. Also I don't like these carbon side skirts at any 458, which are a) useless, b) cost a fortune and c) don't go well together with the beautiful side profile of the 458.

But hey, enough nit-picking, enjoy your new toy. indecision

Yes, still the 997. Still hates the goldfish headlamps on the 991.

Not just you, I too think the 12C has cleaner lines. And don't fault me for ordering the carbon side sills, I didn't do it haha. I don't care much for them either. I would have probably just do the little vertical piece in carbon and leave the sill in body color.

I figured the Speciale is my P1. Souped up version of another model with crazy aero bits. At least the Speciale looks better. 

--

nberry:

You must have been reading my mind. I was going ask for your comparison with the TTS and what you plan to do with it. I think I now know. Smiley

We have the same name after all haha. 

Believe it or not, the Turbo S might be the keeper while the Speciale could be the transient resident of the garage. Yes I liked the car, wouldn't buy it if I don't, but I don't love it yet. 

Have yet to find something better to replace the Turbo S, not even the new one. A Ferrari FF, however, comes close though. 

--

Hope not the FF. It looks hideous but I can understand the need for AWD in Canada. The F12 is a winner but sadly not AWD.

If you can live with the rear design around the lights, get a FF... I only have a 612 but it is so good I can't imagine what the FF would be. My wife and I however cannot cope with how the car looks so we keep the manual 612...

Whoopsy:
    Transporting it would be a bit of a problem, at least I can drive  the Speciale to get serviced. :)

My track will be 5hrs away from where I live.

But trust me a Cup car is still on the radar, I have been told many times if I really want to hone my skills, get a purpose built race car, then I can properly learn all the setup and stuff. Or perhaps a Ferrari Challenge car if Porsche doesn't give me my 918 soon.......................

I don't know how it works in Canada, but here , if you buy the car from a team, you get all there services, and that includes transporting the car to different tracks for you and then taking it back to their storage garage until the next outing .   We do not have any track in Switzerland, so we go to France , Germany or Italy . It is always between a 3 to 6 hours drive .

The Challenge would indeed do the deal ..... but I hope you get your 918 soon, and buy a Cup R Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Whoopsy:
    Mithras:

There are two types of really fast track drivers, those that are going to hit the wall and those that are going to hit it again. 

You forgot the 3rd kind. I went so fast around a track I am not going to tell you the time one.

They must drive for McLaren. Smiley

Nick,

Congrats on new toy!  Hope to see you around the neighbourhood some day.

I also added a new toy, but it is just a Macan S.  I think just your options can buy 2 of them...indecision

Do you go to Ridge Motorsports Park for track day?  A bunch of us are going down Sat Aug 16.  Hope to run with you some day.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe #13;  2011 Panamera 4;  2015 Macan S

SciFrog:

If you can live with the rear design around the lights, get a FF... I only have a 612 but it is so good I can't imagine what the FF would be. My wife and I however cannot cope with how the car looks so we keep the manual 612...

When it was introduced I hated the whole design. But frankly the car grow on me.  I like the tail light design anyway, it gives the car amazing details. What I hate was the roof angle. Or lack of, haha. 

I think it's a decent family sports car. My kids have outgrow the Turbo S, my oldest is turning 13 and he is 5'6" with long legs, so he doesn't fit in the back anymore. 

The FF is the only other high power sports car with awd. Well GTR is another but the rear is not much bigger than the Turbo S.

Trouble is, buying a new one is not taking a haircut, more like getting the head chopped off.  Second hand are quite attractive however but I never find one that has the options I wanted. Another thing is, Car Play is coming and no one can answer the question on whether it will be retrofittable to current FFs.

--

Gnil:

I don't know how it works in Canada, but here , if you buy the car from a team, you get all there services, and that includes transporting the car to different tracks for you and then taking it back to their storage garage until the next outing .   We do not have any track in Switzerland, so we go to France , Germany or Italy . It is always between a 3 to 6 hours drive .

The Challenge would indeed do the deal ..... but I hope you get your 918 soon, and buy a Cup R Smiley

There are no proper race teams based in town. We don't even have a proper track. Closest is this mickey mouse track

TRACK-MAP4.png

2.25km in length. 

--

Targa Tim:

Nick,

Congrats on new toy!  Hope to see you around the neighbourhood some day.

I also added a new toy, but it is just a Macan S.  I think just your options can buy 2 of them...indecision

Do you go to Ridge Motorsports Park for track day?  A bunch of us are going down Sat Aug 16.  Hope to run with you some day.

As it happens the I keep missing the chance to go to the Ridge, heard good things about it but I have never been there. I missed the last one earlier and I will again miss the August one due to scheduling conflicts. 

Saw a white Macan S in town last week, you? Haha. 

--

Hey congrats on the Speciale; I'll know whose it is next time I'm in Vancouver and walking on cruise row.  On the mats though, if the absence proves an issue, there is a small company in Toronto that does bespoke Ferrari mats; lots of Scuderia owners who hated the bare metal look ordered them. The company is Exoticare.ca….kiss    

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Congrats Whoopsy. What a great car!

I've had a oppertunity last week to experience the 'Speciale', unfortunately from the passenger's seat, but damn! it's one hell of a car! It's exhilirating, but surprisingly comfortable for a car like that. It's a little noisy inside, but it's nice noise, so it's easy to live with. For some reason Ferrari has managed to make the car feel special from the inside, eventhough it's stripped out from a lot of luxury items. I would get this over a GT3, even if the Speciale was 4x times the money! Seriously good car!

In white the car looks absolutely fantastic. You're gonna have a great time with this car! No doubts about it.kiss

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Congrats again, Nick...what a wonderful choice and I really think that you are not only going to love the car, you are going to keep it. Smiley The 458 (Speciale) may be one of the last Ferrari generations with a N/A engine, I don't think that Ferrari can exclude themselves from the current downsizing/turbo charging going on in the car industry.

Thank you so much for the many photos, I really enjoyed them. The Speciale has become one of my favorite cars right now and I would probably choose it over the 991 Turbo S, even if it lacks AWD.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

When it was introduced I hated the whole design. But frankly the car grow on me.  I like the tail light design anyway, it gives the car amazing details. What I hate was the roof angle. Or lack of, haha. 

I think it's a decent family sports car. My kids have outgrow the Turbo S, my oldest is turning 13 and he is 5'6" with long legs, so he doesn't fit in the back anymore. 

The FF is the only other high power sports car with awd. Well GTR is another but the rear is not much bigger than the Turbo S.

Trouble is, buying a new one is not taking a haircut, more like getting the head chopped off.  Second hand are quite attractive however but I never find one that has the options I wanted. Another thing is, Car Play is coming and no one can answer the question on whether it will be retrofittable to current FFs.

Funny enough I have no problems with the roof line, actually I find it cute and very appropriate for what the car wants to be. Buying a used one for over 30% off seems like the sane thing to do...

Agree. There's a lot of a Z3 M-Coupe there but I like that as well, very idiosyncratic.I worry about long term ownership with the front half of the 4-wheel drive and finding one optioned the way you want it, but it's an ideal car.

Some version of dark grey with some version of brown interior and the panoramic glass and you've got a car for me...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

SuzyF:

Congrats Whoopsy. What a great car!

I've had a oppertunity last week to experience the 'Speciale', unfortunately from the passenger's seat, but damn! it's one hell of a car! It's exhilirating, but surprisingly comfortable for a car like that. It's a little noisy inside, but it's nice noise, so it's easy to live with. For some reason Ferrari has managed to make the car feel special from the inside, eventhough it's stripped out from a lot of luxury items. I would get this over a GT3, even if the Speciale was 4x times the money! Seriously good car!

In white the car looks absolutely fantastic. You're gonna have a great time with this car! No doubts about it.kiss

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

I think you are pretty spot on there. I like the interior, but could be because of the novelty factor as I never had a Ferrari and I am used to the Porsche one already. 

The Speciale is a shockingly good car for putting around town. Apart from a few jerking low speed shifts here and there it offered up no protest to stop and go traffic. Even the increased noise from a lack of insulation is not a thing of bother as it doesn't get too loud inside and there is no drone.

--

Took the Speciale for a morning drive up and down the Sea to Sky highway, a good road that I had done in all my cars so it's a great reference point for myself. And I just drove the same road in the 12C last week so I have some fresh memory to compare.

Didn't go crazy speed-wise, still learning the car and that road is notorious for speed traps. The aerial kind. But I still did a spirited drive. Spirited.

For turn-ins, I still prefer the 12C, maybe it's because of the grippier Cup2 over the P Zeros on the 12C plus a quicker rack, I find the car too eager and too aggressive to turn, so I actually had to dial back steering on most corners.

Mid corner the Speciale seems more stable, once the car take a set, it tracks the trajectory better, it pretty much do it on rails and I am just along for the ride, no need for steering wheel correction. Even with bumps mid corner. 

Exits I think are a wash. I like the extra torque from the 12C but it seems to be always in the wrong gear while the Speciale is in the proper gear most of the time so that kind of negates the torque advantage of the 12C. At least in auto mode. For manual gear selections the 12C wins hands down.

Gear selection logic Ferrari got it by a mile, it is more aggressive in selecting gears, it never shy away from lower gears, fuel economy be damned. I think it's more aggressive than Porsche's PDK, and that's was the benchmark I used. 

Neither car seems to shrink in size at speed, I am always aware of the extra wide on them over the 997 Turbo S. But it could be due to the fact that I have been driving a 997 series car for so long that I am used to it.

Noise wise the Speciale really has a lower tone from the inside, it is quite a bit more masculine than a regular 458. 

I finally figured out why it seems roomier. It is obvious after the fact. Took me a couple days but I realized the CF door panels didn't didn't have the arm rests and door pockets of the regular car and that account for like 3 inches either side. Stupid me.

I didn't want to sound like I praised the car because I bought one. Is it worth the money I paid for it, maybe not. But the Speciale really is a properly good car. But would I take it over the 12C? Tough question, I know I swapped the 12C for a Speciale, but had I have the choice, I would have kept both, they are different animals. The 12C is really a great car on it's own merits but between it and my Turbo S I picked the Turbo S to be the keeper simply because it is way more practical. 

Did I got bitten by the Ferrari bug? Perhaps. Despite the reputation, they really do make some great cars now. Properly sorted ones. The 7 year free service helped a lot in their cause too. 

Couple interesting tidbits that I have noticed. The Ferrari engine runs HOT, like way hotter than even the 12C with the turbos. Not from the gauges but from physically feeling the hot air coming from the engine compartment. Weird feeling as I can see the hot air mirages from the rear view mirrors on the 12C but I don't see any distortion in the Speciale. Even when I turned off the car the hot air is of a higher temperature. 

Second, the Speciale runs a higher psi on the front tires than the rear. Not much, just 1psi higher from factory spec. First car I have driven with higher psi in the front . But the temperature difference is quite spectacular. The driver side front runs like 5-6 Celsius higher than the passenger side while the driver side rear runs 1 Celsius higher. In my 12C the driver sides are only 1 celsius higher than the passenger side. Not sure if it's a bad sensor but I will keep an eye for it in the future. Could be weight distribution but I don't think it could account for that much.

Oh, the Cup2 are seriously good tires. Way way better than the PS2 in the rain, a lot quieter and seriously good in the dry. They looked a lot more aggressive too, with squarer shoulders and straighter side walls even compared to the Super Sport.

--

Interesting points.  I have to drive a car a good while (couple weeks) before I can really pick out the finer points of what I like/dislike, and fully understand the car's character.

You may have touched on this before, but have you compared the 991TTS?

While I have to admit I haven't really 'get' the car yet after a few days, my daily driving routine is pretty 'routine' so I get a fairly good understanding of a car doing the same route.

To be frank, over the same routes, I much prefer the Turbo S over the 12C or the Speciale just because the Turbo S does it with less drama and just being more practical. But it's just me being me the understated guy.

For driving excitement, 12C and the Speciale are in a different level than the Turbo S.

Speciale is a more practical car than the 12C (can't believe i describe a Ferrari as practical) and I sure can live with it everyday, but the Turbo S is just that much more practical. 

About the highway route, Turbo S is unbeatable for corner exits, boy that gearbox plus the torque is unmatched. As for the other 2 parts of a corner, for some reasons the Turbo S, or any Porsche awd cars just gives me the feeling that it won't spin out no matter how hard I try, I can just man handle it into any corners and it will sort itself out and make me looked like a hero. That's probably one reason some people didn't like Porsche's anymore, it won't let them showcase their skills, or skills they think they have.

--

But the doors, Whoopsy, the doors! The hinge on the Speciale is in the wrong spot ;)

Sounds like a sweet car. Probably will never own a Ferrari though unless I move to Europe. US dealer nonsense makes it not worth the effort. Too many good cars available these days to bother playing games with dealers. Hell, in the US I think it's less hassle and quicker to get a P1 or 918 than a 458 or F12.

As a daily driver, I think there is no substitute for the Turbo S (991 or 997), I agree. However, I wish Porsche would add a different interior and a stronger engine to the Turbo S. These are actually the only two things I would really complaint about.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Whoopsy:

Second, the Speciale runs a higher psi on the front tires than the rear. Not much, just 1psi higher from factory spec. First car I have driven with higher psi in the front . But the temperature difference is quite spectacular. The driver side front runs like 5-6 Celsius higher than the passenger side while the driver side rear runs 1 Celsius higher. In my 12C the driver sides are only 1 celsius higher than the passenger side. Not sure if it's a bad sensor but I will keep an eye for it in the future. Could be weight distribution but I don't think it could account for that much.

Nick,

If you are not pushing the car and making proper highway cruising, the tire tempature difference shouldn't be this much unless you have direct sunlight coming from the hotter tire side.

The reason is almost all the Ferraris leaving the factory have wrong/bad alignment, including my 458. When I had the alignment check after 2000 km, my left front toe was -0.01 while the front right was +0.07. Rear left toe was -0.02 and rear right was +0.02

Make the alignment at the service and the tire tempature difference would become negligible; as it is on my italia right now.

PS. I took the photo couple of weeks ago to record the 10.000 km mark which I did in 1,5 year.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:

Nick,

If you are not pushing the car and making proper highway cruising, the tire tempature difference shouldn't be this much unless you have direct sunlight coming from the hotter tire side.

The reason is almost all the Ferraris leaving the factory have wrong/bad alignment, including my 458. When I had the alignment check after 2000 km, my left front toe was -0.01 while the front right was +0.07. Rear left toe was -0.02 and rear right was +0.02

Make the alignment at the service and the tire tempature difference would become negligible; as it is on my italia right now.

Sunlight factor can be ruled out. I did a return trip up and down the highway, temperature difference is the same both times.

So it's likely down to either a bad sensor or bad alignment. I will let the dealer sort it out.

--

RC:

As a daily driver, I think there is no substitute for the Turbo S (991 or 997), I agree. However, I wish Porsche would add a different interior and a stronger engine to the Turbo S. These are actually the only two things I would really complaint about.

WTF? Smiley How can 560HP and 750Nm not be enough? For what do you need more power?

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

He is a power junkie... 99% of the people never floor their car...

I would like more power for my TTS too! 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab

With some people, you could give them 1000 hp and it won't be enough if another car has 1001hp.

EnglishManInNY:

I would like more power for my TTS too! 

You feel that the 560HP and 750Nm is hindering you from exploring your limit? Smiley Smiley

I once had a 580HP and 800Nm manual 997 Turbo and it was bloody scary to drive. In nooo way did I feel that it needed more power. With PDK you should be even quicker.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688702 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408765 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255554 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234813 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773479 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM