Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Michael Schumacher in Coma

out of coma and leaving hospital is good news .. it's the start at least.

Good news! Now, it is just a slow, steady process of getting as close to normal as possible, whatever that new 'normal' may be.

All the best Michael kiss

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Just in time to see his national team in the world cup....Just kidding...he has a long road ahead of him. But I was really touched by the German team messages saying that they want to win the cup for him...and days later this great news comes! 

All the best Michael...!

--

996C4, Artic silver (gone) 997C2S, Seal/black, -20mm LSD, PSE (gone) 986S, Arctic Silver (gone)

What a nice surprise for me to wake up to. Best wishes for him and his family and for as full a recovery as possible.

Guys, take these news with a grain of salt, this is the press speaking not the doctors or the family, in his situation out of the coma doesn't mean like in the movies went the patient wakes up from a sleep and everything comes back in minutes, there are many consciousness states, and his is likely to be very low, maybe reacts to a stimulus or two but not much more IMO, still bedridden and barely awake. There is probably not much more that they can do in the hospital than as an outpatient, since his life constants seem stable and that why he is likely leaving the hospital, also this will make it much easier on the family. Also after what he has recovered so far, there isn't much room for recovery anymore which will very limited. I really how I'm wrong but we all know how the press is surprise

--

We have to think positive. Let's be honest we all thought there were not going to be ANY good news. 

Swiss news has it that he is in Lausanne for treatment.

--

996C4, Artic silver (gone) 997C2S, Seal/black, -20mm LSD, PSE (gone) 986S, Arctic Silver (gone)

He's been moved to a rehab facility from what I've heard. I wish him the best as he has a long road ahead of him.

He is is my local city hospital . This is not an outpatient / rehab clinic , but a huge university hospital .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Carlos from Spain:

. Also after what he has recovered so far, there isn't much room for recovery anymore which will very limited. I really how I'm wrong but we all know how the press is surprise

This is very bad news. I understand that his recovery so far is that his life is not in danger, which is something, but the motion and mental deficits remain. Alive but in vegetative state is a terrible prospect for his loved ones.

--

"Form follows function"

Gnil:

He is is my local city hospital . This is not an outpatient / rehab clinic , but a huge university hospital .

Hmmm, it sounds like the reports of him being discharged from the hospital are a bit misleading.

Here it is :

chuv_aout09.jpg

chuv01.jpg

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Two helipads - how very "international rescue"!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Two helipads - how very "international rescue"!

What you see is only the '' above '' the surface building . Then you have the same hight as the taller building going under ground .

Michael is somewhere in there , in a completely private section .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I read on Eurosport now that Schumacher is fully awaken from coma and responds to touches and can hear voices!

But, as it is a reprint from the Bild newspaper, should we believe that?

--

"Form follows function"

Wow, what great news!
    I understand what you say Carlos, just hoping all the best for Michael and his relatives.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

This is fantastic news kiss even though of course we need to keep in mind what Carlos is saying.

While this may be viewed as positive news, the press, at times, takes much liberty with language and conclusions.  He may have emerged from a coma, but that state might be very close to a semi-permanent vegetative state and with minimal response to stimuli.  The length of time between the accident and the transfer to another healthcare facility is of concern.  

reginos:

I read on Eurosport now that Schumacher is fully awaken from coma and responds to touches and can hear voices!

But, as it is a reprint from the Bild newspaper, should we believe that?

Right, one thing is the original bit of info and another is how the press words the little information they have in order to make it more apealing for business, and most are just ecoing each other like parrots.

I guarantee you he is far from fully awake, that is extremly unlikely to happen like that given from what we have known all these five months. He may be "tecnically" out of a coma, but may just be on a barely concious "concious" state, and the press may interpret "out-of-coma" to be awakening like we do from sleep in the moring, into full conciousness.

In low levels of conciousness like stupor the body will react to painfull stimuli for example, noises, etc but pretty much vegetative besides that, there are also unconcious reflexes that may give the impresion that the patient is "awake inside" like when grabbig his hand he may graspe your hand back but can be done at an unconcious level. It gives familiy members a false sense of hope that he is in there aware of everything reacting to the hand but he is not.

I don't what to be a pesimist, I'm being realistic, just don't want to let the press give false hopes to all of us longing for good news on his recovery. The press is more often than not, irresponsible and heratless and does not treat information rigurously. They probably just hear that they are moving him to a hospital closer to home and that he is tecnically not comatose (since he responds to some stimuli), and ran with it from there that he is fully awake and now going to do rehabilitation, when in reality they meust have been giving him passive rehabilitation in order to prevent as much muscle atrophy and physical deterioration as posible as a result of him not moving for five months.

The fact that he reacts to acustic and touch stimuli is good news, but may still be in severe concious level state in the Glasgow Scale. Lets hope he regains as much conciousness as posible, right now physical recovery is secondary IMO, conciousness is the most important thing but given the time that has passed and only being reactive to tocuh and sound so far is very discouraging, any further recuperation from here on is going to be slow and difficult... and limited Smiley

At least he has got the best care money can pay for for sure and the care of hs family, so lets hope...

--

Very vivid and understandable description and of course not very promising surprise

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks Carlos for your analysis, you are mirroring my own thoughts. After more than five months in coma, it would be misleading to think of Schumacher walking out of the hospital and communicating with his familiy. Smiley

When I read the news about Schumacher I often think of Roy from Siegfried and Roy and his long way back into life after his nearly fatal accident on stage in Las Vegas. I guess the situations could be quite similar.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Just hope he will be on a recovery road now after he is now stabled...  life is very fragile....  enjoy life, but think about the love ones around you....  hope he has a strong family to support each other....

IMHO, Schumacher would have been better off if he had not survived his accident. It is sad to say but, to be honest, If it had been me, I would not want to live like this. There's no hope here, just misery and pain.

I would not want to live for the rest of my life in a hospital bed with such a low level of consciousness. And let's face it, after all this time, if he's not able to talk and react to others, there's no way he's going to recover even a third of his capacities (I might be wrong but I don't think so). 

amazon:

IMHO, Schumacher would have been better off if he had not survived his accident. It is sad to say but, to be honest, If it had been me, I would not want to live like this. There's no hope here, just misery and pain.

I would say that following this terrible twist of fate in December 2013, Schumacher would have been better off if he died on a race circuit a heroic driver's death, and be remembered like Gilles or Senna.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    amazon:

I would say that following this terrible twist of fate in December 2013, Schumacher would have been better off if he died on a race circuit a heroic driver's death, and be remembered like Gilles or Senna.

Sad but true, I agree. SmileySmiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

I had a friend who spent 6 months in a coma after a high speed accident on a german autobahn and later managed to fully recover, being able t walk talk work at the same job and drive...later he died of an unrelated illness

I wish all the best to Michael

truth is, no one really knows how/when/if a brain recovers from injury, and there is no treatment for brain injury.

If anyone can do it HE CAN!  (and his doctors)  Keep fighting Michael!

PS - as long as insurance pays the bills and my family does not have to KEEP ME ALIVE!  I am not one of those who gives up that easily.  Life may not be the same but it is always worth fighting for. 

Saw an incredible documentary about the downhill racer Bill Johnson who also had a horrific skiing accident. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM