Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spy shots 2ND THREAD (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

Gnil:

Kreso : What is soon ?  I am getting very inpatient . The wait has been soooo long mail   

But as time passes, If I were at P HD I would also seriously think about skipping 991.1RS as it is getting way to long into the production cycle ( FL of Carrera just around the corner )  +  NA engine might indeed not be ideal for the future racing homologations . 

And what is sky high for the price ????  more then 20-30 K more then GT3 ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Since this leak which Porsche is directly responsible for official intro could be in July. But, start of sale for sure end of 2014 in that case.

Price? Between base 991T and 991TS....

Looks too busy IMHO....The air intakes on the front fenders and Turbo intakes, makes this car look like Porsche salad...

--

Wonder if the strange things at P HQ is also tied to the recent events at Le Mans.  Someone had mentioned that Piech went to a Le Mans bar, where the P team were after the race, and asked them to leave as there was nothing to celebrate.  

Wow... if that is true, then that is VERY harsh.
    These guys gave it their all and have put down a stunning performance. The cars broke down after putting up such  fantastic fight.

BTW, on the track, the radio speakers were implying/reasoning that the 919s broke down due to the hybrid system regenerating too much energy. At certain areas, the hybrid system could not be charged further, so the energy needs to be dissipated in different ways (aka "brake discs")... not sure whether this speculation was correct though. I can hardly imagine that the engineers weren't able to predict how much energy regeneration was going to happen and create a car that can't use it's old-fashioned brakes alone.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

These guys gave it their all and have put down a stunning performance. The cars broke down after putting up such  fantastic fight.

BTW, on the track, the radio speakers were implying/reasoning that the 919s broke down due to the hybrid system regenerating too much energy. At certain areas, the hybrid system could not be charged further, so the energy needs to be dissipated in different ways (aka "brake discs")... not sure whether this speculation was correct though. I can hardly imagine that the engineers weren't able to predict how much energy regeneration was going to happen and create a car that can't use it's old-fashioned brakes alone.

One does not see this as being very harsh, especially when one considers the amount of capital, both financial and human, invested in the 919 project as well as the public relations effort undertaken.  Several rumors place the 919 project at over $200 million, and the car has had a comparatively long development cycle, with the car debuting in June of last year.  This time was to be dedicated to testing, testing, and testing with the desired outcome of reliability plus speed for the entire 24 hour period - Porsche is the crown jewel in the Volkswagen empire and expectations are set high.

Similarly Toyota, while fast, proved unreliable too.  Many factors are known about Le Mans and those factors do not deviate from year to year.  Audi, through preparation, pushed both Porsche and Toyota to the breaking point and this is very impressive considering that Audi #1 was built up over an evening just days before the race. 

CGX car nut:
    Joost:

One does not see this as being very harsh, especially when one considers the amount of capital, both financial and human, invested in the 919 project as well as the public relations effort undertaken.  Several rumors place the 919 project at over $200 million, and the car has had a comparatively long development cycle, with the car debuting in June of last year.  This time was to be dedicated to testing, testing, and testing with the desired outcome of reliability plus speed for the entire 24 hour period - Porsche is the crown jewel in the Volkswagen empire and expectations are set high.

Similarly Toyota, while fast, proved unreliable too.  Many factors are known about Le Mans and those factors do not deviate from year to year.  Audi, through preparation, pushed both Porsche and Toyota to the breaking point and this is very impressive considering that Audi #1 was built up over an evening just days before the race. 

Very good analysis, exactly my thoughts. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

CGX car nut:

Not really, in Piech's mind Audi is still HIS baby and hence the favored son within the empire even when he is technically in the Porsche family.

--

From a business stand point , the Wall Street Journal stated today  in not a nice way regarding VW Group pitting corporate siblings Audi against Porsche at LeMans   : " one  of the most expensive examples of ( corporate ) team - building ever  " , LOL. 

CGX car nut:

Wonder if the strange things at P HQ is also tied to the recent events at Le Mans.  Someone had mentioned that Piech went to a Le Mans bar, where the P team were after the race, and asked them to leave as there was nothing to celebrate.  

I'm not completely on board with this.

I have seen no pictures of Piech at Le Mans. I have seen pictures of Dr. Wolfgang Porsche  at Le Mans. (That of course does not mean that Piech was not there) Dr. W. Porsche is in fact the Chairman of the supervisory board, so if Piech did in fact behave in such a boorish manner, it would have been ethical to do so with the agreement from Dr. W. Porsche. I doubt Dr. Porsche would have given carte blanche to this. It does nothing for morale and solves none of the issues that they have with the car.

I suspect that this was a rumor initiated and circulated by the sister company Audi.

CGX car nut:
    Joost:

Whilst I'm the first to be unimpressed with the 919's performance at Le Mans, it would be unhinged and uninformed to think that Porsche would come away with a victory at Le Mans in their first outing after 16 years.  (They almost did, but not so much due to their performance , but rather fruit of their competitor's mistakes and misfortunes).

Having said that, my disappointment lies in the fact that the car showed a lack of race pace (see my post in the Motorsport section). Considering that the car was designed specifically for Le Mans, it clearly did not match up with expectations. 

Porsche had two objectives; One was to go for pole, and the other was to get at least one car to the finish. It failed both.

This, however, is motorsport. There are never any guarantees. 

All was not bad. There were some positives and Porsche learned a lot from this outing.

They are already working on the new 2015 car. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

CGX car nut:

This most probably  falls in the urban myth category. But if it keeps being circulated it will end up as fact.

We don't know if in this story Piech was supposed to be critical or sarcastic with his reaction Smiley

Porsche were away for too long and it is too difficult to catch up. From endurance racing leaders they have become followers and poor relatives to Audi, thanks to the Wiedeking years.

The LM 2014 was an honourable defeat in the sense that the cars lasted until near the end, they were running near the front and the 919 went down fighting. Nevertheless, it was a defeat in the hands of both Audi and Toyota.

True, no reason to celebrate.

--

"Form follows function"

By some rumors Porsche budget for this year is around 400 millions.

Talking about brakes issue. All hybrid racers have to use smaller brake discs - F1 from this year too. And if regeneration breakes than brakes start to overheat and car dies. It can't race anymore without brake change, but brakes change helps only for a couple laps, then brakes die again. This issue is well detalised in racecar engineering article about toyota ts040.

For 20 car I tend to believe it was an engine problem, not brakes one. For 14 car - gearbox. If Porsche didn't start to battle with Audi then I believe they could finish 2nd, but they played the game and lost.

To me, considering stages in Silverstone and SPA it was also very strange to see that 919 can't keep the pace of Audi and Toyota, but possibly for 24 hours race Porsche, not being sure in reliability has chosen to ride in economic way - low power engine map and low fuel consumption.

Now waiting for next Le Mans!) Porsche returned to win and invests top team F1 budget. Fingers crossed.

--

sportcars-history.com

Spyderidol:
    CGX car nut:

I have seen no pictures of Piech at Le Mans. I have seen pictures of Dr. Wolfgang Porsche  at Le Mans. (That of course does not mean that Piech was not there) Dr. W. Porsche is in fact the Chairman of the supervisory board, so if Piech did in fact behave in such a boorish manner, it would have been ethical to do so with the agreement from Dr. W. Porsche. I doubt Dr. Porsche would have given carte blanche to this. It does nothing for morale and solves none of the issues that they have with the car.

I suspect that this was a rumor initiated and circulated by the sister company Audi.

I heard about this incident from a friend who was a Le Mans and not prone to hyperbole.  

kudryavchik:

and you better believe every $. of the ongoing annual cost to compete at LeMans will be baked into  what they charge for every car they sell

MKW:
    kudryavchik:

and you better believe every $. of the ongoing annual cost to compete at LeMans will be baked into  what they charge for every car they sell

The technology and experience will trickle down to the consumer models so I don't see an issue with motorsport driven development.

Everyone and their grandmother have been crying like girliemen about the GT3 engine not being used in motorsport so I don't think we now need to have an issue with LeMans.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:
    MKW:
    kudryavchik:

The technology and experience will trickle down to the consumer models so I don't see an issue with motorsport driven development.

Everyone and their grandmother have been crying like girliemen about the GT3 engine not being used in motorsport so I don't think we now need to have an issue with LeMans.

And every technology company -- and Porsche is a technology company -- has to invest money in R&D. This is not really that significant an amount, all things considered, for their R&D budget.

CGX car nut:
    Spyderidol:
    CGX car nut:

I heard about this incident from a friend who was a Le Mans and not prone to hyperbole.  

Maybe...but this video does not support this narrative: http://t.co/kVqm0VmlcQ

apias:
    bluelines:
    MKW:
    kudryavchik:

And every technology company -- and Porsche is a technology company -- has to invest money in R&D. This is not really that significant an amount, all things considered, for their R&D budget.

Indeed! Both Marketing and R&D driven. Porsche can't expect to launch and sell SUV's (and have them as their top selling models) and four door saloons for ever without taking a hit to their "sports-car" image. Sports-car racing and especially Le Mans is what cemented that image in the first place, and they are out to reclaim it.

Spyderidol:
    apias:
    bluelines:
    MKW:
    kudryavchik:

Indeed! Both Marketing and R&D driven. Porsche can't expect to launch and sell SUV's (and have them as their top selling models) and four door saloons for ever without taking a hit to their "sports-car" image. Sports-car racing and especially Le Mans is what cemented that image in the first place, and they are out to reclaim it.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Seems their Marketing was and is effective. Q.e.d.

Again: where is Targa Turbo??

--

Is this like finding Waldo?

SportCarGroup:

Seriously?? Nobody? Nothing? RC, you once said it's in the pipeline....any updates? Kreso?

--

SportCarGroup:
    SportCarGroup:

Seriously?? Nobody? Nothing? RC, you once said it's in the pipeline....any updates? Kreso?

This forum has lost interest in the 991. It is all about the Corvette and M4 now Smiley

--

bluelines:
    SportCarGroup:
    SportCarGroup:

This forum has lost interest in the 991. It is all about the Corvette and M4 now Smiley

And some Chrysler Jeep productsSmiley 

JimFlat6:
    bluelines:
    SportCarGroup:
    SportCarGroup:

Smiley

www.rennjeep.comSmiley

--

bluelines:
    JimFlat6:
    bluelines:
    SportCarGroup:
    SportCarGroup:

Smiley

www.rennjeep.comSmiley

Smiley

rennjeep.com/jeepsrt/dodgehellcatcomingsoontogermany.com  indecision

Porsche 991 GT3 RS testing alongside 991 GT3...

Porsche 991 GT3 RS testing alongside 991 GT3 -- Article Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

...alongside the Cayman GT4 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM