Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2015 Porsche Panamera Coupe

From  ' Panamera '   to  Coupe   ( one of my old PS )

1402089477195Porsche Calendar.JPG

1402089536727porsche calendar misha 22.JPG

SuzyF:

True RC, but let's be honest... A BMW 6 coupe doesn't have a lot of room in the back either and even a Bentley Continental GT is not that roomy in the rear. These GT coupes are all compromised. If they don't compromise, they'll end up with a hump in the sloping roof line, like the Panamera has and that's not what you want in a sporty GT.

Not that it is a big deal for me... I even fit in the back of a 991  indecision

Wow you are tiny!!! Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    SuzyF:

True RC, but let's be honest... A BMW 6 coupe doesn't have a lot of room in the back either and even a Bentley Continental GT is not that roomy in the rear. These GT coupes are all compromised. If they don't compromise, they'll end up with a hump in the sloping roof line, like the Panamera has and that's not what you want in a sporty GT.

LOL! Well... if the driver's seat is set to my driving position that is of course Smiley I'm 5'4" so yes... i'm tiny... But some say that all good things come in small packages Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:
    Whoopsy:
    SuzyF:

LOL! Well... if the driver's seat is set to my driving position that is of course Smiley I'm 5'4" so yes... i'm tiny... But some say that all good things come in small packages Smiley

"Small but perfectly formed" like the Alfa 4C Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I would like to see a junor variant of the Panamera.

The Panamera (and Coupe) is to big to attract a lot of buyers. I think the 10 year strategie of porsche is to increase the cars they sell significantly.

So a smaller Panamera (also as Coupe) makes more sence to me. The same thing they do with Cayenne/Macan.

The Macan seems to be a big success, so the changes for a small Panamera are increasing.

If Porsche put in a strong diesel engine >=300hp this car would sell. Not the 258HP version they put in the Macan. They have to you use the new 300hp Panamera diesel engine or a variant of the 313HP Audi engine (3.0V6 TDI).

--

981 Boxster S (PCCB, PASM, PTV, SportChrono, Bose, ventilated heated sport seats plus, PCM, full leather with some X Options, .....)

But it's much more difficult to position such a smaller panamera model within the competition. The panamera is a 7 series competitor when it comes to its length. The performance otherwise compares to the M5, RS7 and so on. A smaller panamera would, like the macan, not have such powerful engines. That's an issue IMO. So for a smaller panamera it's difficult to find the right market gap and to differentiate such a model from the panamera.

Would a smaller panamera be a 3 or 5 series competitor? IMO it should be a 5 series competitor. 

With the Macan, Porsche will reach their sales target of 200.000, hopefully. So, I hope enough is enough with mainstream cars.

Porsche should concentrate on a large coupe 2+2 and on a mid-engined supersportscar. 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

With the Macan, Porsche will reach their sales target of 200.000, hopefully. So, I hope enough is enough with mainstream cars.

Porsche should concentrate on a large coupe 2+2 and on a mid-engined supersportscar. 

Without big sale numbers Porsche cant develop bespoke sport/hyper/hybrid cars on its own. Thats why you have bespoke engines in 991 and 918, bespoke technology, bespoke mechanical solutions, LeMans racing team... Porsche with small sale numbers would be forced to take and modify all engines & technology from VW concern.

So, for Porsche there is never enough mainstream cars! If you are true Porsche fan, you will buy as much cars as possible from them, because you are literally supporting their R&D. Other companies work on same principle, but that is very visible in Porsche`s example.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

As 5 series competitor a smaller Panamera modell could not differenciate noticable to the current Panamera in size and price.

I would like to see the Panamera junior as 4 series (coupe and grand coupe) or A5 (coupe and sportback) competitor.

But I doubt that we will see something like that in 1 or 2 years.

So my next daily driver will be a 435xd grand coupe.

--
    981 Boxster S (PCCB, PASM, PTV, SportChrono, Bose, ventilated heated sport seats plus, PCM, full leather with some X Options, .....)

The VW Group CEO said some months ago that they expect 200.000 sales from Porsche. He must have made his calculations and this figure represents the ideal between satisfactory profits and total brand dilution.

The components for the coupe exist in the Panamera. The 960 could get components from the 918, using a flat 8 version of the current modular engine. For under the skin Porsche could access the VW Group enormous parts supply.

The Macan notwithstanding its strengths is already a Porsche too far. The small Panamera model will be an oversupply.

--

"Form follows function"

I suspect Porsche will change more in the next 10 years than we would like so see.

I asume the next step will be 250000 cars and then 300000 car.

In 10 years Porsche will only be a brand which is positioned as a sportier more exclusive and more expensive Audi alternative. The product lineup will be similar.

So a A5/4er car from Porsche seems to be logical. They have to expand "down", up is only a small area.

Porsche as sport car manufacturer is already almost dead.

--

I don't think that Porsche is dead as a sportscar manufacturer, with the Boxster, Cayman, 911 and 918 all special and unique sportscars.

But it is on the edge of the cliff. If the Panamera Coupe and the 960 are introduced it will be saved. If Porsche come up with another mainstream model, it will drop down the canyon.

--

"Form follows function"

The Panamera Coupe and the 960 would be a perfect addition to the current model line-up IMO. A smaller Panamera could be a nice possibility too, to expand their profit. But at the moment Porsche does not have enough space to produce such a high volume car. Furthermore, after the introduction of the Macan they could concentrate now more on sportscars, like the 960. But I guess they need to sell the 918, before they can start advertising the 960.

any informations how many 918 they've got left?

Although Porsche Brand had been washed off towards SUVs, it is still trying to make good sports car.  To my view, there are many options to choose from the supercar sector, porsche to me is making nice SUVs and sports cars, so it is still a brand well above Audi/BMW.  In their market sector, they still orver-ruled all cars:

911: no competitors really; GTR...

CAYMAN BOXSTER; Audi TT, Z-type, SLK.... no chance on these cars

Cayenne: X5, X6, Q7.... no chance on these cars, Range Rover Sport (drive isn't as good as Cayenne GTS)

Macan: Q5, X3,  Evoque.... dominated the market currently.

Paramera: Audi S8, S63, 750M...  this sector might not stand strong, but its surviving....

I am sure If they do come up with Panamera coupe or 960, I am sure they will do well....  960 will clearly have its own strong market, but Panamera coupe would be less probably popular in my view....

I agree with your assessment kiss

However, on the matter of the Coupe I believe that if the styling and space utilization are right, this model will be a big hit, taking sales from anything from 6 series to Maserati and Bentley. It will take sales from the 911 too, leaving this classic model for the real sportscar fans. If/when Porsche have a proper Sports/GT, then the 911 could be made more of a pure sportscar, like it used to be.

--

"Form follows function"

There is much speculation about a potential 928-successor here. But I don't think that we will see something like that. The 928 was a 2-seater GT - this kind of car is in Porsches eyes covered by the Boxster, the 911 and even the rumoured 960 will be a 2-seater. 

Instead we will simply get a better looking Panamera with less roof space in the back seats. The driving dynamic will be more or less the same as the normal Panamera.  It will be a direct competitor to cars like the 6-series BMW. It will be a big, heavy but good looking car.

--

911 S Cabrio (2013), Panamera GTS (2013)

TomSilver:

There is much speculation about a potential 928-successor here. But I don't think that we will see something like that. The 928 was a 2-seater GT - this kind of car is in Porsches eyes covered by the Boxster, the 911 and even the rumoured 960 will be a 2-seater. 

Hm, I thought the 928 was a 2+2, like the 911, but unlike the Boxster/Cayman which are true 2 seater.

1402506930651928.jpg

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:
    TomSilver:

Hm, I thought the 928 was a 2+2, like the 911, but unlike the Boxster/Cayman which are true 2 seater.

1402506930651928.jpg

It's a long time ago, but from my memory the +2 seats in the rear of the 928 offered much more room and comfort than either the then contemporary or now current 911s, as also suggested by the above photograph. 

--

fritz

Obviously, I'm getting old. 

--

911 S Cabrio (2013), Panamera GTS (2013)

TomSilver:

Obviously, I'm getting old. 

Don't worry about it. Getting old is better than the alternative.   Smiley

--

fritz

I will never forget the other kid in high school who also had a 914 like mine.  His dad had a new 928 and routinely allowed his son to drive it to school.  This was way prior to 'Risky Business' and I was so envious - the 928 in its day was Da Bomb!  TT Surgeon and Gladstone also went to the same high school at the time.  I bet they recall the 928 in the student parking lot.  34 years ago.

Leawood911:

I will never forget the other kid in high school who also had a 914 like mine.  His dad had a new 928 and routinely allowed his son to drive it to school.  This was way prior to 'Risky Business' and I was so envious - the 928 in its day was Da Bomb!  TT Surgeon and Gladstone also went to the same high school at the time.  I bet they recall the 928 in the student parking lot.  34 years ago.

Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

The seats in the back of the 928 are actually quite comfortable, especially for kids but also for adults on shorter trips if the driver/co-passenger doesn't move the front seat too much to the back.

The BMW 6 series has also a lot of room for rear passengers, please keep in mind that I am comparing it with the 911 rear passenger room and not the Panamera.  Also, I am driving in the classic rally driver position with the arms slightly bended, not stretched  like many drivers seem to do it. This driving position leaves more room in the back and it also offers a better drive feel for the car.

BMW-M6-Rueckbank-fotoshowImage-cecd2119-609702.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

By coincidence I saw a 928 this morning after many years. It was a kind of metallic beige and the design looked so up to date kiss

With stretched arms the driver cannot apply sufficient steering lock without removing the hands from the wheel.

I regulate the reach to the steering wheel, by using the method of stretching the arms whilst my back touches the seat back to the point that the wrist joint touches the top of the steering wheel.  With this distance you can turn the wheel throughout its range of motion with the hands at the 9:15 position and you get  good feedback and control.

In the 911 it helps the feel and control for the steering wheel to be nearer to the driver than in other cars.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

By coincidence I saw a 928 this morning after many years. It was a kind of metallic beige and the design looked so up to date kiss

With stretched arms the driver cannot apply sufficient steering lock without removing the hands from the wheel.

I regulate the reach to the steering wheel, by using the method of stretching the arms whilst my back touches the seat back to the point that the wrist joint touches the top of the steering wheel.  With this distance you can turn the wheel throughout its range of motion with the hands at the 9:15 position and you get  good feedback and control.

In the 911 it helps the feel and control for the steering wheel to be nearer to the driver than in other cars.

--

"Form follows function"

You would be surprised how many drivers drive with their arms stretched. It is however impossible to change this behavior, I once watched a driving instructor trying to convince an older guy in his Porsche 911 but it was absolutely impossible. Bad habits don't go away easily. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I would like to see very comfortable seats in new Panamera Coupe, just like in CL. Actually Panamera Coupe should be similar to CL when it comes to interior space, because they are expected to be around same length...

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

walter.jpg

Here is the perfect driving position.  Case closed.

" classic rally driver position" - RC cracks me up sometimes.

Milanno:

I would like to see very comfortable seats in new Panamera Coupe, just like in CL. Actually Panamera Coupe should be similar to CL when it comes to interior space, because they are expected to be around same length...

Take out the wood and that should be the interior of the panamera coupe. Well add the panamera front seats and get rid of the mouse controls, but size and quality wise this is it.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:
    Milanno:

Take out the wood and that should be the interior of the panamera coupe. Well add the panamera front seats and get rid of the mouse controls, but size and quality wise this is it.

I agree. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759436 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433662 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259713 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256843 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80566 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870617 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805601 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM