Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: M3 and M4

Here you've got two interviews about the chassis and engine technology in the new M3/M4

cheers wink

http://youtu.be/0t6EHH2mr74

http://youtu.be/okeTr3JDARg

Am I the only one here who has one coming? I'm looking forward to it but not sure which car it should replace. I could use it as my daily driver in which case the M135i goes, or this could be our family car and my wife's in which case the 5 series goes. 

SmileyWAY:

Am I the only one here who has one coming? I'm looking forward to it but not sure which car it should replace. I could use it as my daily driver in which case the M135i goes, or this could be our family car and my wife's in which case the 5 series goes. 

Congratulations WAY - I'm sure you will be getting a brilliant car - I guess it would have to replace the M135i somehow. I'm very envious having only recently ordered a 335d M Sport Touring. Smiley We had a phone call from the dealer  only yesterday to say that they'd cocked up the spec and now have had to re-order the car which means delivery instead of a couple of weeks away will now be "towards the end of August" - doesn't really cause us a problem so I didn't get too upset over it. 

what spec have you gone for on your M3? Smiley

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Thanks Dreamcar. Aussie cars are pretty well specced, with things like DCT, adaptive suspension, 19s etc are all standard. I also specced full leather etc. Only significant option I didn't go for is the carbon ceramic brakes, which I'm regretting a little. Car will be Yas Marina Blue with carbon roof and black interior. 

Actually member Derder also got one. How could I forget that. We got it together. 

WAY:

Thanks Dreamcar. Aussie cars are pretty well specced, with things like DCT, adaptive suspension, 19s etc are all standard. I also specced full leather etc. Only significant option I didn't go for is the carbon ceramic brakes, which I'm regretting a little. Car will be Yas Marina Blue with carbon roof and black interior. 

Actually member Derder also got one. How could I forget that. We got it together. 

Sounds like a great spec - and of Yas Marina Blue would be my choice also. Smiley The full leather option is where my dealer cocked up - we are having BMW Individual black Merino leather  seats and to complement it we also wanted the BMW Individual leather instrument panel option which also comes with black leather upper door panels and lovely devoted stitching on the upper and lower dash. In error, he ordered the "standard" optional leather instrument panel that is only available with Dakota leather. It's the first time that dealer had ben asked for the leather instrument panel option on a non M Car and did not notice that there are two versions available. "Our" wrong car arrives next week....Smiley

Still hanker after an M4 though.........in Yas Marina Blue with full leather......Smiley

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

You should get the family wagon and M4! :) I hope your dealer is providing you with a loan car while you wait for the re-order!

WAY:

You should get the family wagon and M4! :) I hope your dealer is providing you with a loan car while you wait for the re-order!

I wish....... We still have two cars, my faithful daily drive Skoda & SWMBO's Shopping Trolley so we're OK. I "fined" the dealership another extra as a freebie on the re-ordered car and have the promise of a decent loan car if the replacement has not arrived by the 1st week of September when we are due to go on a two week holiday to Yorkshire.

I've been promised an extended test drive of an M3 /M4 when their demonstrator arrives, be interested to see how it compares with the memories of the four Porsches we've owned.

--

When do you expect delivery Wayne? Have you driven one yet?  Did you look at the M235i, though probably not as good as your 135!

Woolfe:

When do you expect delivery Wayne? Have you driven one yet?  Did you look at the M235i, though probably not as good as your 135!

Haha my 135i was a monster but that was built as a track tool. I have a M135i for the last 12 months as a daily driver so M235i makes no sense for me. I find the M135i too soft for my liking just as a daily driver and city car, even with the the drivetrain and adaptive dampers set to sports. Too much roll, too much slack in everything.  If I had to do it again I would get standard suspension and put in a set of KW V3.  Hopefully the M3 would be a bit more to my liking from that perspective. :)

dreamcar:
    WAY:

I wish....... We still have two cars, my faithful daily drive Skoda & SWMBO's Shopping Trolley so we're OK. I "fined" the dealership another extra as a freebie on the re-ordered car and have the promise of a decent loan car if the replacement has not arrived by the 1st week of September when we are due to go on a two week holiday to Yorkshire.

I've been promised an extended test drive of an M3 /M4 when their demonstrator arrives, be interested to see how it compares with the memories of the four Porsches we've owned.

I buy at least a couple of BMWs a year so my dealership is more than happy to loan me a car whenever I want it. So if I sell my M135i now he would just give me a car until the next one comes.  As for the M3/4, I doubt it would compare against Porsches. My own ownership experience with various M3s and Porsches tell me that Porsche sport cars will always have the edge when you start pushing the cars. 

WAY:

........ As for the M3/4, I doubt it would compare against Porsches. My own ownership experience with various M3s and Porsches tell me that Porsche sport cars will always have the edge when you start pushing the cars. 

As I've written elsewhere here, my Porsche days are probably over, they've been sunny days and Sunday cars, not really ideal for use as shopping trolleys and commuting -  We tried that with the Cayman and it just didn't work sadly. We cannot justify the costs of running three cars with retirement beckoning for us both.

The reason we went for the 335d is that it isn't a sports car and wouldn't therefore compare unfavourably as a "lesser" sports car would, whilst it will still be quite rapid.

--

derder:

the "standard" 3- series interior really sucks.

but the M models, (at least from the photos), has leather covered dash with contrast stitching makes it tolerable.   still heaps better than the E92 dash which was truely horrible.

for me, the 6 series has THE best dash design.

Leather covered dash is optional on the normal 3 and 4 series as well as the M3 and M4. Here in the UK anyway.

--

The 335d is a wise choice compared to the M4. For 70% of the ///M's  money you get the best car in its class that achieves all its goals perfectly.

OTOH the very well engineered and fast M4 is expensive without being the definitive car in terms of sportiness  compared to the purpose built sports cars. Next to proper sports cars the BMW M4 owner will feel that he missed out,in order to get that extra practicality.

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks reginos Smiley This was the logic that led us to the 335d choice. For the  price of an M4 we could have a Boxster GTS in our ideal specification and relive our 06 Boxster S "dreamcar" Smiley  

What made the 335d a no brainer choice was the 20% discount offered - factor that against the single digit discount we'd have got for an M3 / M4 we didn't even remotely consider the M car seriously.

--

reginos:

The 335d is a wise choice compared to the M4. For 70% of the ///M's  money you get the best car in its class that achieves all its goals perfectly.

OTOH the very well engineered and fast M4 is expensive without being the definitive car in terms of sportiness  compared to the purpose built sports cars. Next to proper sports cars the BMW M4 owner will feel that he missed out,in order to get that extra practicality.

Purpose built sportscar that can better M4 is 991 CS which is with same equipment around €50K more in Germany. And even 991 CS can not kill new M4 on the autobahn...

This is not a criticsism towards 991 CS, but mere facts. 

Being fast on the Autobahn doesn't define a sportscar IMO. 

Besides the M4 costs less because it is just a top of a range car and not a bespoke model.

Very good value for money for sure and capable.

--

"Form follows function"

I am think about adding a M4 to my garage given the mileage I am currently doing on my TTS. I had a e93 before and miss it. 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab

I had a short drive in an M4 on the weekend as the dealer had a yellow one with the carbon roof and dual clutch that was plated for demo purposes. The car sounds really good on start up, fairly loud and with an aggressive tone. I put the transmission in the most aggressive mode and the tires would even chirp on the 2-3 gear change. It's incredibly quick in a straight line but I didn't get a chance to really test the cornering ability. The brakes were good as well. I didn't have time to play around with the settings but I did try to launch the car in M mode with the transmission in manual and a little bit of gas/brake on launch and it wasn't that impressive - it seemed like there was some intial lag there, but I'm not sure that all of the nannies were off. There are a couple of things that were underwhelming in the interior, but the seats were fantastic. The HUD in the M cars is awesome and the M4 is no exception with a full tach display. It's a great car for the money. They also had a Sakhir Orange car in the showroom which looks awesome in person.

As an aside, the dealers do have customer cars in storage at this time, but they are not allowed to release them. BMW says that if a car is released to a customer and something goes wrong with it, they will not fix it. Cars can't be released until the official launch date later this month.

Both M3 & M4 are on display at the Canary Wharf Motor Expo this week. They have a light blue M3 which looks really different. 

Interesting that the show is so poor this year. Nothing really of note - I guess the Goodwood FoS has become the main motoring event in the UK now. 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

WAY:

If my Daily Drive Car budget (60.000 euro) lets me to buy one , the all new M4 is my favorite car for the daily purposes right now. However, it is out of my reach and I'm not keen on selling my italia for it. A good optioned M4 (met. paint, 19" wheels, leather dashboard, DKG, carbon trims etc) costs about 170.000 Euro here in Turkey. SmileySmiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

First 3rd Party of F32 M4. Impressive results, IMO.

BMW M4 Coupé vs Audi RS5 Coupé

Weight:....  1615 kg..........1788 kg
    0-40 km/h:....1,4 s..........   1,2 s
    0-100 km/h:...4,2 s..........  4,3 s
    0-160 km/h:...8,5 s..........  9,3 s
    0-200 km/h:...12,9 s........ 14,5 s

Laptimes Autozeitung Test Track Config:

1.38,9 min..........1.41,5 min (fastest laptime list)

Slalom (18m): 70,8 km/h..........67,5 km/h

Braking (100-0 km/h, warm):....33,3 m..........32,8 m

Fuel Consumption:.....11,9 l/100 km..........13,8 l/100 km

Rating: M4: 2915 points
    RS5: 2837 points

M4 wins because of his better Safetyequipment (+19 points), the better Driving Comfort (+26 points), 
    much less fuel consumption (+36 points), the much better handling (Laptime: +10 points, Slalom: +16 points, steering: +6 points), and the slightly fewer costs (+3 points)

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

^ I drove a 2013 RS5 a month ago and loved it. The sound beats the M4 hands down but it feels like a much heavier car.

On the surface these cars might look as competitors, but I don't think they have much in common. The RS5 is an every-day all-year-round car with superb traction, but it is not meant for the track and understeers like an oil tanker. The new M3/M4 has aspirations to be a track car and hence will perform better... on a track... in dry conditions. As an everyday car with some heavy rain or winter snow the RS5 will walk away and the M3/M4 will be stuck spinning it's rear wheels...

IMHO a pointless test.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

IMO the RS5 is a car for travelling especially in winter weather. The M4 is the most sportscar-like car which is not as sportscar and a dry wearher friend.

Personally, I would choose the BMW.

--

"Form follows function"

For me a RS5 makes no sense. I would only buy an Audi if it's the RS4 as it's avant (for practicality) which isn't an option on the BMW.  Where I live, winter is at worse a few hours of rain which makes a RWD car even more fun and lively :). Having said that, lots of people cross shop the M3/M4 with RS4/RS5. But the most popular mid size  performance car in Australia for the last few years has been the C63, by a mile. Australians love our big bore V8s and AMG sales have sky rocketed since the introduction of the C63. Even I've had two 63s myself although I prefered my V8 M3 as it's much better car on the limit of the chassis. 

@Pride355, I wouldn't give up the Italia either if I had one! M3 sure is expensive there. It's about A$175k here in that spec and about $10k more for M4.  It's more expensive here than the Macan Turbo which both Derder and I were also considering. But I think as a daily performance vehicle that can also fit the kids (I have two under 7) the M3 fit the bill better. Also I'm keeping my Porsches for weekend selfish use so there is no need for another Porsche in the garage. The problem with Porsche interior now is that they all feel the same!

JoeRockhead:

I had a short drive in an M4 on the weekend as the dealer had a yellow one with the carbon roof and dual clutch that was plated for demo purposes. The car sounds really good on start up, fairly loud and with an aggressive tone. I put the transmission in the most aggressive mode and the tires would even chirp on the 2-3 gear change. It's incredibly quick in a straight line but I didn't get a chance to really test the cornering ability. The brakes were good as well. I didn't have time to play around with the settings but I did try to launch the car in M mode with the transmission in manual and a little bit of gas/brake on launch and it wasn't that impressive - it seemed like there was some intial lag there, but I'm not sure that all of the nannies were off. There are a couple of things that were underwhelming in the interior, but the seats were fantastic. The HUD in the M cars is awesome and the M4 is no exception with a full tach display. It's a great car for the money. They also had a Sakhir Orange car in the showroom which looks awesome in person.

As an aside, the dealers do have customer cars in storage at this time, but they are not allowed to release them. BMW says that if a car is released to a customer and something goes wrong with it, they will not fix it. Cars can't be released until the official launch date later this month.

Did the car you drive have the full leather and cf interior? I don't like the standard 3 series interior either but people tell me it looks much better with the full merino leather and cf trim. Yes customer cars are being held back till the 21st in NA, and July here. Also there is a recall of the front strut for cars with adaptive damper which I'm not too pleased about. I guess better than the GT3 engine swap!

WAY:
    I don't like the standard 3 series interior either but people tell me it looks much better with the full merino leather and cf trim.

I sat in an M4 today with full leather interior .. lovely soft leather, beautifully stitched.

however, the lower parts of the doors remain in plastic, which look even worse among all the lovely leather (dash (upper and lower), door tops, door middle and center console)

Is there a possibility to cover the lower door parts with leather or something else from Bmw individual?yes

sfo:
    WAY:
    I don't like the standard 3 series interior either but people tell me it looks much better with the full merino leather and cf trim.

I sat in an M4 today with full leather interior .. lovely soft leather, beautifully stitched.

however, the lower parts of the doors remain in plastic, which look even worse among all the lovely leather (dash (upper and lower), door tops, door middle and center console)

This is what I've specified in our forthcoming 335d M Sport Touring, the appearance of classy Merino leather seats is complemented well with the leather instrument panel and doors,  and compromised with the standard plastic.

--

WAY:

Did the car you drive have the full leather and cf interior? I don't like the standard 3 series interior either but people tell me it looks much better with the full merino leather and cf trim. Yes customer cars are being held back till the 21st in NA, and July here. Also there is a recall of the front strut for cars with adaptive damper which I'm not too pleased about. I guess better than the GT3 engine swap!

I don't think it had full leather but there was quite a bit of CF. My main gripe is with the Nav screen on the newer models as it sits up on the dash in an odd way. Having said that, I am a fan of iDrive and the latest system provides some really cool functionality. Full leather would surely enhance the look as well. You'll love the car as it's a blast to drive.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753131 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430738 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258601 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255462 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79518 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868334 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801892 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM