Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2014 Canadian F1 Grand Prix in Montreal

Will Hamilton get revenge for what he perceived were dirty tricks by Rosberg?

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2014 Canadian F1 Grand Prix in Montreal

easy_rider911:

I say, YES..

Hamilton is going to want to roast NR.. I can't wait..

RBR needs to sort out their straight line performance, its woeful...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

GT3 pick up?, still waiting.

throt:
    easy_rider911:

I say, YES..

Hamilton is going to want to roast NR.. I can't wait..

RBR needs to sort out their straight line performance, its woeful...

You know the saying "when two quarrel the third one wins". Mercedes must be very careful and strict with those two.

--

"Form follows function"

Surely the more we see a gap in Points between them the bigger the Chance somebody will make a bolder move indecision

Well, right now they could take each other out in Montreal and Austria, and it wouldn't affect the driver standings, relative to the others

Best friends again indecision until the next race.

Posting a picture on Twitter of the two on unicycles from their younger days, Hamilton said: "We've been friends a long time, and as friends we have our ups and downs.

"Today we spoke and we're cool, still friends #noproblem".

Bo5Nu4cIIAACLUk.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

I miss my unicycle. Need to ask my nephew what he ever did with that thing.

Finally an entertaining race! 

Gave Rosberg the benefit of the doubt on Monaco but skipping the chicane and not showing down one bit while doing it is to much, won't be cheering for Rosberg anytime soon this championship.

Hats of to the star of the day, Ricciardo. Flawless drive and as the season goes by is making Vettel look less of a real champ and Newey more of a genius these past seasons.... one piece of data that says it all, Riccardo is the first redbull driver to win a race starting from behind third place of the grid in redbull's history! 

Ferrari mediocre as usual, inspire of the drivers they have, just look at kimi's season results so far, if it weren't for Alonso making wine out of water...

--

Obviously, Rosberg skipped the chicane not on purpose. It was clever of him not to slow down voluntarily before the incident was investigated and in slowing down certainly lose a position. Even if he slowed down he might still be penalized and therefore lose twice. Perfect race for Rosberg and perfect result under the circumstances. The Canada result was very good for Mercedes as a warning not to get too complacent. 

I think Vettel is recovering and we will soon see the old champ again. Ricciardo is a talent but it is too early to evaluate his champion potential.

I cannot understand the problem with Ferrari!  Below standard engineers or drivers that cannot provide feedback? Last year it was supposedly the wind tunnel. What is wrong this year?

McLaren are concentrating on their road cars at the expense of F1 or they are waiting for Honda?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I cannot understand the problem with Ferrari!  Below standard engineers or drivers that cannot provide feedback? Last year it was supposedly the wind tunnel. What is wrong this year?

--

"Form follows function"

Did you hear the theory about their lack of performance coming from their choice to go with ''light'' fuel vs most other teams went with ''heavy'' fuel . With the light fuel they need bigger air coolers , that makes the car higher  + the light fuel gives problems on the high revs  etc.....

Basically , the  whole car has been built wrongly . Basis choices were completely wrong ....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Carlos, agree 100%. At Monaco, Rosberg was steering from left to right and back numerous times in qualification well before the front right wheel locked up. I feel he induced the mistake deliberately because (i) he had the choice of going first for his 2nd run in Q3, and (ii) he already had a faster banker lap. It was too coincidental that his own error gave him pole position.

In Canada, Hamilton had 2 lock ups in qualification that gave pole to Rosberg. Off the start, Hamilton was ahead and left one car's width to Rosberg at turn 1 but Rosberg did not leave 1 car's width for Hamilton approaching turn 2.

Hamilton was within the 1 second required for DRS when Rosberg missed the chicane and used the escape route to accelerate away beyond the 1 second gap. Not only did he gain an advantage by going off track but he also neutralised the DRS threat. I'm surprised the stewards decided not to punish that with a 5 second penalty added to his next pit stop. 

By contrast, when Hamilton overtook Rosberg but went through the escape route because  his rear brakes were failing, he immediately gave the place back. Of course, Rosberg had not gained a place at that chicane but had not lost a place due to what he did.

I can't help but feel that Hamilton tries to win the right way whereas Rosberg is prepared to play dirty using any tricks necessary to make up for the respective shortfall in talent between them to win.

But in the end, none of this mattered. Hamilton's failing rear brakes meant that his luck just ran out.

I'm very happy for Ricciardo. He benefitted from Mercedes's unreliability with both cars suffering a failure in their MGU-H systems. Vettel seemed genuinely pleased for him which is nice to see.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

I didn't know that there is a choice of fuel types. Is that so? I thought that F1 fuel nowadays is close to the commercially available road petrol.

--

"Form follows function"

Sadly, I think this exciting race will be the start of the end of th "exciting" season.

Mercedes now know that they are not bullet proof, that their "let them race policy" can cost them victories.

I'm quite sure, that we will not see Rosberg and Hamilton go head to head as long as the championship is not settled...

Only 3 drivers could challenge the Mercedes duo for the title and all those are in disadvantageous positions. 

The title is for Mercedes to lose really, and in this sense the Canada result was good for Mercedes because it won't allow them to loosen up.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I didn't know that there is a choice of fuel types. Is that so? I thought that F1 fuel nowadays is close to the commercially available road petrol.

Each team has its own fuel (and, in some cases, they develop multiple versions).

For example, AFAIK Red Bull has a version of Total's fuel that is not used by the other Renault powered cars.

Shell also has a version of its fuel that is only for Scuderia Ferrari and is not used by the other Ferrari powered teams.

Mercedes uses Petronas fuel whereas the other Mercedes powered teams AFAIk mostly use Mobil 1 fuel.

But in all cases, the fuel is specially blended and developed for F1 engines.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Hats of to the star of the day, Ricciardo. Flawless drive and as the season goes by is making Vettel look less of a real champ and Newey more of a genius these past seasons.... one piece of data that says it all, Riccardo is the first redbull driver to win a race starting from behind third place of the grid in redbull's history! 

From what I read (did no watch the the race) Ricciardo could only pass Vettel as the wheel changing procedure on his car was done slightly quicker than on Vettel's car? Sounds like good luck in this case?

Also, Vettel did the better qualifying than Ricciardo. Compared to the last races it seems that Vettel has not only made up any backlog but even moved ahead again.

easy_rider911:
    reginos:

Each team has its own fuel (and, in some cases, they develop multiple versions).

For example, AFAIK Red Bull has a version of Total's fuel that is not used by the other Renault powered cars.

Shell also has a version of its fuel that is only for Scuderia Ferrari and is not used by the other Ferrari powered teams.

Mercedes uses Petronas fuel whereas the other Mercedes powered teams AFAIk mostly use Mobil 1 fuel.

But in all cases, the fuel is specially blended and developed for F1 engines.

Thank you!

--

"Form follows function"

MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

From what I read (did no watch the the race) Ricciardo could only pass Vettel as the wheel changing procedure on his car was done slightly quicker than on Vettel's car? Sounds like good luck in this case?

Also, Vettel did the better qualifying than Ricciardo. Compared to the last races it seems that Vettel has not only made up any backlog but even moved ahead again.

Hardly, Ric was faster tan Vettel in all the stints of all three qualifying sessions except for the very last one were Vettel had a perfect lap and Riccardo did not and ended 0.040 sec behind, that and how he managed his race strategy even though he had the disadvantage of getting second pick for pit stop strategy, gave him the win and starting from the behind at that.

Luck may have been the first race, but at this point of the season luck had nothing to do with it, Vettel is getting owned by his rookie teammate now that he doesn't have the fastest car on the grid.

--

I think Vettel isn't trying hard enough. He knows that RBR are unlikely to win the championship and after 4 titles in a row he is not much motivated and hungry this season. In F1 history many champions failed to subsequently perform at their own high level, when the prospect of another title wasn't there anymore.

To say that Vettel was a fluke is rather exaggerated to say the least.

Ricciardo OTOH has everything to prove and every podium is a new experience.

--

"Form follows function"

Carlos from Spain:
    MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

Hardly, Ric was faster tan Vettel in all the stints of all three qualifying sessions except for the very last one were Vettel had a perfect lap and Riccardo did not and ended 0.040 sec behind, that and how he managed his race strategy even though he had the disadvantage of getting second pick for pit stop strategy, gave him the win and starting from the behind at that.

Luck may have been the first race, but at this point of the season luck had nothing to do with it, Vettel is getting owned by his rookie teammate now that he doesn't have the fastest car on the grid.

--

Isn't that the nature of the qualifying process - you just need one faster lap Smiley  And it seems also true that Ricciardo could only pass Vettel in the race due to the quicker wheel change (checked the infos on the Internet again). Overall, I would not describe this as "getting owned by the rookie". In contrast, this race might signal that Vettel is coming back after the weaker first races?

I think that Vettel is still a top quality driver, but Ricciardo is also proving to be a top notch driver also. I was a bit disappointed to see Rosberg's chicane manuever which would have cost him very little to have let Hamilton past; but that is the benefit of hindsight. My biggest issue is what happened to both ot the Mercedes cars. Did Bernie hit the "slow down the team button" to add some excitement?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114357

F1 tech and rules are becoming too complicated.

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks Reginos, it was an interesting read. I really think that limited numbers of engines and transmissions can be acceptable, but limited number of replacements for electronic components is just wrong.  heart

Electronic components tend to worik for about five minutes or LESS; or they work for decades.

Yes, I was very surprised to read about handing penalties related to the electronic units replacements. Such things could decide the championship cheeky

--

"Form follows function"

Vettel WAS LUCKY when Massa almost hit him on the next to last lap.  What a finish!!  I believe Vettel saw it in the rearview mirror and hesitated his left turn for just a split second to allow Massa to crash past him.  That was excellent driving.

I have no issues with Rossberg not slowing when missing that last turn, he did not gain a position.  Period.

PS - I can vouch for Gladstone riding a Unicycle and that it is hard and painful if you don't know how.  Not saying I would not try again - just 50.

Leawood911:

I have no issues with Rossberg not slowing when missing that last turn, he did not gain a position.  Period.

Please read article 20.2 of the Sporting Regulations. It is not about whether or not a driver gains a position. It is about gaining an advantage:

"20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.

A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the race director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track."

--

Leawood911:

Vettel WAS LUCKY when Massa almost hit him on the next to last lap.  What a finish!!  I believe Vettel saw it in the rearview mirror and hesitated his left turn for just a split second to allow Massa to crash past him.  That was excellent driving.

PS - I can vouch for Gladstone riding a Unicycle and that it is hard and painful if you don't know how.  Not saying I would not try again - just 50.

When I can get my hands on another one, I will share;  but I might find that the family has let it go!

Reminds me of the classic quote often attributed to Picasso (but hard to find definitively) "Art is easy, if you kon't know how) one of my favorittes.

So let us all just give it a damn good try!!!!

easy_rider911:
    Leawood911:

Please read article 20.2 of the Sporting Regulations. It is not about whether or not a driver gains a position. It is about gaining an advantage:

"20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.

A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the race director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track."

I can read - "At the absolute discretion of the race director " - and he decided after taking a look.  Good for him and good for the sport.  Passing is passing and everyone follows the same rules.  IMHO this is also a good precedent.  I would not want the lead changed because of his missing the turn-in and avoiding a possible accident.  I would bet Hamilton and the others would agree if they were in the same position.

Following that logic, if towards the end of the race Hamilton were in front of Rosberg and Rosberg made an attempt to pass on the braking, Hamilton had the right to continue straight and cut the chicane and neutralise any advantage Rosberg tried to gain under braking into the chicane or in acceleration out of the chicane with DRS...

Run offs are not part of the track, they are there for safety, and if you need to take one because you made a mistake on a corner, thats fine but you should not gain any advantage from it on top of it. Rosberg may have not gained a position in that maneuver since he was in front, but Hamilton had no chance to overtake or use the DRS out of the corner if Rosberg cut the chicane and came out several car legths ahead out fo the corner.

The race director may have not penalised him because even the minimum 5 second penalty would have decided the race in favor of Hamilton instead, which would not have been good for racing, a case were the cure would be worse than the disease since you can't give him a 0,5 sec penality for example, but that doesn't mean the move was OK, he did reprimand Rosberg for that move and gave him a warning that next time he will be penalised.

--

Exactly, the Race Director gave Rosberg an official warning not to do that again ... which he would not have done unless the thing Rosberg did was wrong.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755891 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431830 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258920 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256036 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80017 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869084 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803265 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM