Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Alfa Romeo 4C

Very interested in your feedback on the car ISUK.

Most reviews I came across were lukewarm. Nice looks, but mute steering and annoying engine/exhaust note. I get the feeling Alfa spent much development resources on the carbon fibre tub, but then the project ran out of money and the rest of the car is lifted from existing models or the parts bin.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

It is interesting to have a look at these test results.

Even allowing for the fact that it is Auto Zeitung, a German magazine, there are plenty of vital areas that the 4C shows substantial deficiencies especially for something pretending to be a special car.

Poor gearchange, directional stability,refinement, power delivery,consumption,steering,suspension comfort,safety!

It has good brakes however.

0-200 and lap time slower too.

Apparently, it is not the micro-supercar (in spite of its carbon tub) FIAT wants us to believe it is.

Good step from Alfa but they should try harder to bring back the old magic. Very difficult to catch up after some 30-40 years, the world has moved far ahead.

1402077682838AZ.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

I'll take Chris Harris's opinion on the car. A friend who knows him well says he loves the 4C.

ISUK:

I'll take Chris Harris's opinion on the car. A friend who knows him well says he loves the 4C.

Cheers! Smiley This is one of the reviews I was referring to.

--

The 4C shouldn't be compared with a Cayman or Z4. The car fits inbetween Elise and a Cayman and I think that is not a bad place to be for this attempt from Alfa. I also think that the 4C spider has some improvements (not sure). A more powerful 4C will be introduced later this year or early next year.

More Alfa Romeo models are in the pipeline for the coming years (Giulia, new Giulietta and a successor to the 166), now that Marchionne has decided to inject more money into Alfa Romeo. The downside of that decision is that Lancia is now officially dead. He may change that decison next week though... Would not be the first time!mail

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Marchionne is on about version 10 of his long term plan. I don't think his investors believe a word of it anymore as there have been too many wildly over optimistic sales figure projections with a total lack of firm product development in the pipeline to back it up. I really hope he does deliver this time around. Letting Lancia slide into obscurity is a crime when the group has the 4C chassis and a V6 engine in the Ghibli which if combined could create a modern Stratos. They also have the potential underpinnings for a Delta Integrale in some of the forthcoming Alfa products. If ever there were two brands that have real customer loyalty it is Alfa and Lancia through special models like these, not rebadged Fiat front wheel drive platforms or people carriers that insult the heritage which the Fiat management admitted to in their latest investor briefing. That was not exactly a smart move either as it insulted customers who have remained loyal and bought MiTos and Giuliettas mail

I had a deposit down on a 4C 3 years ago but got fed up of the lack of info from Alfa and began to think the whole project would be quietly dropped so asked for my money back. Once the car actually appeared in production trim I put the deposit back down. I met a journalist from AutoItalia magazine at an event near my home a few weeks back and he had just driven a pre-production 4C over from the factory in Modena and said it was an absolute blast to drive and very involving. I don't doubt it has flaws but it the car was perfect it wouldn't be Italian smiley

ISUK:

Marchionne is on about version 10 of his long term plan. I don't think his investors believe a word of it anymore as there have been too many wildly over optimistic sales figure projections with a total lack of firm product development in the pipeline to back it up. I really hope he does deliver this time around. Letting Lancia slide into obscurity is a crime when the group has the 4C chassis and a V6 engine in the Ghibli which if combined could create a modern Stratos. They also have the potential underpinnings for a Delta Integrale in some of the forthcoming Alfa products. If ever there were two brands that have real customer loyalty it is Alfa and Lancia through special models like these, not rebadged Fiat front wheel drive platforms or people carriers that insult the heritage which the Fiat management admitted to in their latest investor briefing. That was not exactly a smart move either as it insulted customers who have remained loyal and bought MiTos and Giuliettas mail

I had a deposit down on a 4C 3 years ago but got fed up of the lack of info from Alfa and began to think the whole project would be quietly dropped so asked for my money back. Once the car actually appeared in production trim I put the deposit back down. I met a journalist from AutoItalia magazine at an event near my home a few weeks back and he had just driven a pre-production 4C over from the factory in Modena and said it was an absolute blast to drive and very involving. I don't doubt it has flaws but it the car was perfect it wouldn't be Italian smiley

Couldn't agree more! Smiley May sound hypocrite, but from a German manufacturer I expect perfection...  with an Italian car I'm a lot more forgiving, because (most) Italian cars have more soul than a complete line-up from a German manufacturer. Maybe my Iitalian blood helps a little too Smiley 

Doesn't take away that I like quite a lot of German cars very much as well BTW Smiley

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    ISUK:
    I don't doubt it has flaws but it the car was perfect it wouldn't be Italian smiley

Couldn't agree more! Smiley May sound hypocrite, but from a German manufacturer I expect perfection...  with an Italian car I'm a lot more forgiving, because (most) Italian cars have more soul than a complete line-up from a German manufacturer. Maybe my Iitalian blood helps a little too Smiley

Doesn't take away that I like quite a lot of German cars very much as well BTW Smiley

The point is that today's consumers have been spoiled by almost perfect cars from Germany since the mid-80s that very few are willing to accept flaws for the sake of some intangible flair or soul. That was acceptable in the 60s and early 70s when German cars were strongly built but crude and slow and Alfas, Lancias and even FIAT overflowed with charisma.

I like Alfa's effort and I wish them all the best (I used to be an avid Alfista long ago) but they must try harder to fill the gaps. The 4C seems to be superb compared to recent Alfas but it cannot rival the best (for now).

Bottom line is that Alfa must find sufficient number of buyers from the around the world for their future range to make a viable business. These consumers drive mostly Mercedes, BMW and Audi/VW and to be poached by Alfa they will want something at least as good to what they are used to but with an added dose of Italy.  Can Alfa do that? Tall order Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

They could also make a more luxury oriented version of every new Alfa Romeo car with a different bodywork and simply call them Lancia

reginos:

The point is that today's consumers have been spoiled by almost perfect cars from Germany since the mid-80s that very few are willing to accept flaws for the sake of some intangible flair or soul. That was acceptable in the 60s and early 70s when German cars were strongly built but crude and slow and Alfas, Lancias and even FIAT overflowed with charisma.

Some serious rose tinted spectacles there reginos. All of the big German manufacturers have suffered some pretty big quality issues over that time period. Audi had lots of issues in the US as did VW. BMW had problems with longevity on major engine components, Mercedes quality took a real nose dive after the Chrysler take over that they have only recently managed to turn around, Porsche have had numerous issues such as IMS failures and very recently with the recall of every 991 GT3 for new engines and all early Macans for a potential brake system fault. The only car I've owned that suffered a catastrophic engine failure was a BMW that lunched on it's turbo. I used to run a fleet of heavy trucks and the quality of the Mercedes trucks I operated in the late 90's coupled with poor fuel economy saw them all replaced by Scanias and Volvos which were far more reliable with much better build quality.

Congrats on the new 4C. kiss  I think you have a excellent idea about a new Stratos and it is sad to see Lancia just reskinning US Chrysler products.

The Alfa 4C doesnt do everything a Cayman does, but the Cayman is so competent and has so little flair that the Alfa will be like the svelte naughty girl who was always more fun to take on a camping trip.indecision

The targa top 4C with the uprated engine should be a real blast as well.

ISUK:
    reginos:

Some serious rose tinted spectacles there reginos. All of the big German manufacturers have suffered some pretty big quality issues over that time period. Audi had lots of issues in the US as did VW. BMW had problems with longevity on major engine components, Mercedes quality took a real nose dive after the Chrysler take over that they have only recently managed to turn around, Porsche have had numerous issues such as IMS failures and very recently with the recall of every 991 GT3 for new engines and all early Macans for a potential brake system fault. The only car I've owned that suffered a catastrophic engine failure was a BMW that lunched on it's turbo. I used to run a fleet of heavy trucks and the quality of the Mercedes trucks I operated in the late 90's coupled with poor fuel economy saw them all replaced by Scanias and Volvos which were far more reliable with much better build quality.

What you describe above is the almost part of my statement. Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Congratulations ISUK - I look forward to reading your impressions once you've got some miles under its wheels. As a once Alfa enthusiast I really hope this is the rebirth of Alfa's "cuore sportivo" their great motto back in the days when the marque were proper Alfas rather than badge engineered Fiats. Maybe one day I might even get one to relive those days - but mine would have to be Lava Red Smiley Smiley

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

well I guess that every sport car magazine have different result, how con an italina not be last on the germans paper??? hahahah it is the same all the time.

imho the alfa is soo much cooler than the others, not comparible in way of wow factor.

cant tell nothing about how it goes never tryed one, but i know how good the porsche is...

but i would choose alfa 4c without no doubt..

nice choise, let us know hove it goes

--

993 c2

My friend which lives in Milano told me that 4C id the worst sportscar that he drove in last decade. He is italian and owns F12 and new 991 GT3.

KresoF1:

My friend which lives in Milano told me that 4C id the worst sportscar that he drove in last decade. He is italian and owns F12 and new 991 GT3.

A parallel to that would be a Concorde pilot criticising the performance of an Airbus A320 surely? Smiley

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Congrats Isuk, great looking car Smiley

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

Well I've just been out for a 50 mile blast and it is a hoot to drive. The wave of torque in 5th gear is utterly addictive and the acceleration simply incredible for a 1750 turbo 4 cylinder. It just goes to show what light weight does for dramatically improving performance. I'm blow away by it to be honest and just love the styling, especially in this satin finish metallic white which shows the shape of the car off beautifully. The amount of positive reaction I've had to it on the road from other cars and pedestrians is simply amazing.

I've no idea how Alfa have made a humble 1.7 turbo 4 sound so good. The steering does get caught out by surface cambers, road crowns etc if pressing on but you learn to deal with it and it adds to the sense of drama.

A quick couple of pics I've taken.

1402329550444Web 4.JPG

1402329735467Web 3.JPG

ISUK:

Well I've just been out for a 50 mile blast and it is a hoot to drive. The wave of torque in 5th gear is utterly addictive and the acceleration simply incredible for a 1750 turbo 4 cylinder. It just goes to show what light weight does for dramatically improving performance. I'm blow away by it to be honest and just love the styling, especially in this satin finish metallic white which shows the shape of the car off beautifully. The amount of positive reaction I've had to it on the road from other cars and pedestrians is simply amazing.

I've no idea how Alfa have made a humble 1.7 turbo 4 sound so good. The steering does get caught out by surface cambers, road crowns etc if pressing on but you learn to deal with it and it adds to the sense of drama.

A quick couple of pics I've taken.

Congrats! Smiley Beautiful! kiss

Please keep the owner feedback coming. Much appreciated.

--

Fabulous ISUK - please keep the reports coming kiss  I popped into my local Alfa dealer on Saturday and they are not getting any demonstrators.  They had 5 cars allocated for this year, which they could have sold 5 times over.  When the next customer car arrives, they will let me look at it but obviously not get in or drive.  This lack of demonstrators seems short sighted because they could use it to raise awareness, get the halo effect in the showroom and then probably sell it above list.

--

Gen II Cayman S

I have to say that I don't miss my 458 at all now I have the 4C. It may have cost less than a quarter of the price of my spider but for real world on the road driving it is just so much more fun and involving. In fact it's ridiculous to think that the 458 cost me more in depreciation in less than 2 years than the 4C cost to buy angry Thank you once again Ferrari for dumping far too many new cars onto the UK market and killing residuals in the process mail

I've just given it a wash to get rid of the dead bugs I collected on my little test run earlier indecision and am pleasantly surprised by the overall build quality and also by how easy it appears to be to clean the satin effect paint finish. I had been concerned that might be a nightmare to look after but it appears not. The quality of the carbon fibre is lovely and easily matches or bests that of the Ferraris I've owned.

GR, the volumes being delivered into the UK are tiny and I don't think dealers are allowed to keep a car as a demonstrator as a result. I'm not sure how many additional MiTo or Giulietta sales it would generate in any case but as a tool to tempt buyers of other brands back into the Alfa fold ready for the arrival of some of the new models such as the 5 series competitor or forthcoming SUV's then it may well hit the mark. It isn't perfect as I've said before and with further development work it could really shine. However I really like it just as it is as it has that Alfa soul and passion because of, not in spite of, it's foibles.

Lian, curious as to why you have not bought a GT3 given your passion for exciting road cars? 

Nick,

One day you'll spell my name right It's i-a-i-n (like the golfer Ian Poulter but spelt the Scottish way with a second i) smiley

I briefly considered a GT3 but they are becoming ever larger and more complex. The 4C is a bit of a revelation in terms of the pure focus on fun with almost everything uneccessary stripped away. A friend who owns a Lotus Exige has long tried to get me interested in them but I've never really liked the styling so apart from sitting in a couple in a showroom I've never tried driving one. The styling of the 4C on the other hand just hit the spot for me and I knew I had to have one as a long time Alfisti. It's the car I (along with many others) have waited years to see that proud badge adorn. I nearly bought an 8C but using a left hand drive car here is a pain so I passed.

Here is a comparison pic next to the 987C R.

1402387681849Web 6.JPG

ISUK:

Here is a comparison pic next to the 987C R.

1402387681849Web 6.JPG

Tell me that I have no taste, but of the two I prefer the Cayman styling. Plain and purposeful and carved from solid. The Alfa looks pretty but to me it is over-ornated, little feminine with a somehow frail/flimsy appearance. It looks like a new born Ferrari that waits to grow up.

A matter of taste. But this doesn't detract from the fact that Alfa are trying to get on the right track with this car.

--

"Form follows function"

Considering the weight of the 4C, I truly think that with the right engine and a few chassis tweaks, the 4C could be an amazing sports car. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 300+ hp 4C in a year or two.

Also, comparing it to the Cayman and it's price tag, I think the 4C is a good value.

Since I saw the 4C live on the road, I changed my opinion about the looks of this car. It looks very good in reality and I would get one in a heartbeat if I were on a tight budget or if I would just love to add another toy to my garage. Definitely worth a shot. blush

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Two totally different styling philosophies reginos so they are bound to polarise views. I know quite a few people who intensely dislike the styling of the 987C due to the side view of the back end. The R version helps to change the look quite successfully with the lower stance and fixed rear spoiler and the Perdot green really highlights the curves on the car that are lost on white or Guards red examples.

The 4C is a car you need to see in the metal to fully appreciate the subtle styling nuances which are hard to convey on camera.

RC:

Considering the weight of the 4C, I truly think that with the right engine and a few chassis tweaks, the 4C could be an amazing sports car. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 300+ hp 4C in a year or two.

Also, comparing it to the Cayman and it's price tag, I think the 4C is a good value.

Since I saw the 4C live on the road, I changed my opinion about the looks of this car. It looks very good in reality and I would get one in a heartbeat if I were on a tight budget or if I would just love to add another toy to my garage. Definitely worth a shot. blush

I agree. It's a fun "toy" to add to a garage. Small, light, agile and a real junior supercar sense of occassion that just isn't there in a cayman/Boxster.

I think it represents fantastic value for money and really hits the spot midway between the Lotus Elise/Exige and the Boxster/Cayman models. There is a Cloverleaf version in the pipeline apparently but I'm not really sure the car needs much more power. I'd certainly welcome the front end being revised with a more road based focus to deal with poor road surfaces and make the current setting a track package option instead.

The spider version should be really good fun as the carbon tub should ensure there is no loss of chassis stiffness when the targa panel is removed.

ISUK:

Two totally different styling philosophies reginos so they are bound to polarise views. I know quite a few people who intensely dislike the styling of the 987C due to the side view of the back end. The R version helps to change the look quite successfully with the lower stance and fixed rear spoiler and the Perdot green really highlights the curves on the car that are lost on white or Guards red examples.

The 4C is a car you need to see in the metal to fully appreciate the subtle styling nuances which are hard to convey on camera.

Sure we don't all like the same aesthetics, but this is normal in life. No rights or wrongs when it comes to taste.

I've seen the 4C in the metal and I wasn't overwhelmed. i think that the Spider concept version is more suitable for this style.

i wouldn't buy this car as I wouldn't buy a Cayman either.

--

"Form follows function"

Suddenly 4C reminds me of a Dino haha

Fantastic car ISUK! Love the color.

What's your opinion on the gearbox? (Especially the downshifts). I have driven this car very briefly (only 10 minutes or so) last year, a day before the official introduction in the Netherlands and I noticed that there was some delay on the downshifts. It's very well possible that the DNA switch wasn't in the right setting though. Didn't really pay attention to it. Another reason could be that it was a pre-production car  (not sure it was).

My heart tells me that I really need this car.... As a replacement for my Boxster, it should be the Spider version though smiley

--

Suzy

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM