Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Macan Turbo - Short Driving Report

I have noticed that DFI engines are economical on part throttle cruising at steady speeds. But once you start pushing they are as thirsty as any older engines. The 911 does 9l/100km during a trip within the speed limits but once I get to the back roads the average rises to 16l/100km in no time and within a short distance.

--

"Form follows function"

In reality I was at 45 l/100km with my DFI engine  but I could not have the PCM tell me the real truth . It does not go above 26.9 yes

1401559605882photo 2.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I wonder at RC et alia that want the turbo to be loud.  I like to be quiet as i may be generally speeding quite a lot and dont need to warn the cops, and i can drive the scud when i need noise.

i like that turbos are quiet, but then again i carry the dogs around as well so may not be normalSmiley

FYI when we all say "quiet" from outside its is still more noisy than 95% of the cars out there...

Anyhow my wife finally saw the car and gave it two thumbs up, so since it was mostly her replacement car, we are in the clear. Agate grey is not that dull and dark in the sun...

Much prefer quiet as well..

Here are the pics...

image.png-23.jpeg

image.png-24.jpeg

image.png-25.jpeg

image.png-26.jpeg

Great inside . It give it sparkles !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hopefully you can see in my pics how the whole rear pops out because of the 3D design of the headlights... Porsche did not manage to show this in the press pics and the rear was kind of dull there...

Same idea for the front, Porsche pics did not manage to capture the aggressiveness of the turbo vs the S...

The red interior and carbon accents makes this particular spec...

The interior is superb and the exterior of your Macan is also very nice but I would have designed the headlights a little bit differently (not that it is your fault ). I guess the facelift will correct this. indecision angry

I am glad you are happy with your choice. kiss

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Interior looks nice!

Love the dark red 

Very nice, other than the chrome window surroundings it's pretty much perfect! kiss

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

is there an option to colour-code the rear spoiler? (love the interior btw)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

I drove behind a black Macan Turbo yesterday, had my windows down, but could not hear a sound from it. 

The exhaust flaps kept opening and closing all the time. 3 seconds open, 3 seconds closed. On repeat. Looked weird.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

993Targa:

Very nice, other than the chrome window surroundings it's pretty much perfect! kiss

Missed the deadline to change to black... Still looks fine.

reginos:

I have noticed that DFI engines are economical on part throttle cruising at steady speeds. But once you start pushing they are as thirsty as any older engines.

Yep, horsepower needs fuel (no way around that).  The new turbo motors that every maker is now producing  for economy also gets lousy economy when you have your foot down.

Real economy will only come with lighter vehicles and/or more efficient methods of propulsion than gasoline.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Can anyone confirm Gt porsches data that macan turbo is only 45 kg lighter than cayenne turbo? Now that is a design flaw!

excellence has a range from 4200-4600 pounds for the turbo, can that also be confirmed here?  Thanks

SciFrog:
    993Targa:

Missed the deadline to change to black... Still looks fine.

Sure does. Smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

According to Porsche, there is a weight difference of 245 kg between the Macan Turbo and the Cayenne Turbo. Even if the real life difference may be around 200 kg only, depending on options, a 45 kg difference is very unlikely.

However, the Macan is not as small as many may think. The width is almost the same as on the Cayenne and even the length doesn't really make much of a difference (15 cm or so, this is not much). This makes me wonder even more why there is so little room in the Macan boot and interior. Maybe a classic roof line, similar to the Cayenne, would have been the better idea. I don't think that Macan customers would have minded but I kind of get the feeling that Porsche wanted to "artificially" induce a difference between the much cheaper Macan and the Cayenne, so people don't really have a choice. angry

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thanks RC,

200 kg makes me feel better.  I only ordered the performance options like vector and sport chrono, so hopefully my turbo will approach 245 kg lighter.

the other key point in the Excellence article:  the turbo motor is massively undertuned at 400 hp, and can easily handle 500 plus hp.  This implies an aftermarket tune opportunity that i will take to increase power and torque, and i never mod my cars but i think i will this time.

do you agree the engine is this undertuned?

Got the alarm problem too, no biggie as I don't park on the streets...

The turbo engine was most likely designed to safely handle 40-50 more hp for the turbo S... Detuned, yes. Massively? Not sure.

Using Porsche data the Macan turbo is even lighter than the Panamera turbo angry

watt:

Thanks RC,

200 kg makes me feel better.  I only ordered the performance options like vector and sport chrono, so hopefully my turbo will approach 245 kg lighter.

the other key point in the Excellence article:  the turbo motor is massively undertuned at 400 hp, and can easily handle 500 plus hp.  This implies an aftermarket tune opportunity that i will take to increase power and torque, and i never mod my cars but i think i will this time.

do you agree the engine is this undertuned?

I am pretty sure this engine could handle, like someone said before, 40-50 hp more but 100 hp and more? I doubt it. Car manufacturers work "efficient" lately, they do not make the engines "stronger" than really necessary, so you need to be careful. Porsche is no (more) exception here. Also be aware that if you tune the car, the warranty is gone. The Macan (and the engine) are too new to risk, I would wait at least one year or so until more is known about the reliability and possible issues of the Macan Turbo engine. Also, the engine may not be the only issue: If you tune the engine by 100 hp  or even more, the torque will surely increase too by a pretty significant number. Now I doubt that the drivetrain, incl. PDK , is made for such a high torque. Careful here.

--

So yesterday we fit 6 people in the car. In the back row we had a big car seat, two adults and two kids...

I am liking the car more and more. The sound is ok from the outside but not loud. From inside it could be louder...

Fuel usage is ok but I was expecting 10-15% better than what it is.

Saw my first Macan on the road today--agate grey with carbon side panels.  Struck by how clean and attractive the design is--makes the Cayenne look a bit "pieced together".  And even in the U.S. it did not look small.  Nice first impression...

Wonderbar:

Saw my first Macan on the road today--agate grey with carbon side panels.  Struck by how clean and attractive the design is--makes the Cayenne look a bit "pieced together".  And even in the U.S. it did not look small.  Nice first impression...

I've been thinking the same.  A very clean design.  The body lines flow very well and have a certain consistency about them.

A minor problem is the cupholders in the back.  They are integrated into the center armrest, which is fine as long as you're not using a carseat, which I always am lately.  In conclusion, my rear seat passangers have no cupholders.

My kids are not allowed to eat in the car and drink water from bottles... Not an issue wink

Kids drinking in the back is not an issue for me either.  It's the adults and what to do with their drinks if we have stopped for some fast food.

OK, had my order in for a while, and had swapped my Sept slot to November to open up some of the other options up to me, but hadn't yet had a chance to drive one.

Folks have already posted a lot on here following their drives/collections, but the main points for me though

Performance, yep, it's quick; but as it's so civilised it's deceptive how fast you are going; did get to some 'interesting' speeds on the M4, and slightly quicker into corners that I might have liked - though, despite the 2+ tonnes, it handled it well.

Ride quality on 21"s with PASM/no air was fantastic - personally I'm not going for 21s as I think the car looks 'over wheeled' on them, but if you do like them there's no issue with ride quality - with the PASM at least

Noise, a lot has been said  that the Turbo is not vocal enough, and I can understand why some folks say this, but for me it's spot on, a nice burble in the back ground but not too intrusive - in fact civilised enough to consider treating myself to the Burmester. Nice burble on start up too, not enough to disturb the neighbours but enough to signal intent

Handling - ok, the magazines saying it handles more like a Cayman than an SUV might be using a bit of poetic license but it handles really well, on roads I knew I immediately had a lot of confidence in what the car was going to do and was able to 'chuck it around' a bit - I was out in this morning's thunderstorms so couldn't go crazy, but in Sport Plus could start to feel the car move around as I wanted, so those cross country blats after a rubbish day in the office are still going to be fun ;)

So,more than happy with my choice and spent a good amount of time then trying to lock down my spec... after much ooing and arring have decided against the agate/pebble interior as the agate really does look brown in my eyes. Therefore, as it stands at the moment (still have a few weeks to play)..

Sapphire Blue 
    Black interior
    20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
    Colour Wheel Centres
    Auto dimming mirrors
    Seat Heating (front)
    Sear ventilation (front)
    Park assist (front and rear) with reversing camera (surround view if it's available at point of ordering)
    Speed limit display
    Steering wheel heating
    Smoking package
    Mobile phone preparation

To decide

side blades carbon
    leather interior package in standard colour, smooth finish leather(black)
    carbon interior
    carbon steering wheel
    Burmester
    On-line services
    sport chrono
    Porsche Entry & Drive
    Black surrounds
    Towbar

Saw my first Macans on the road during the weekend. Saw a white S very briefly on the road and couldn't really appreciate it. But yesterday as I was driving on the highway back from a day at the beach I saw the 4 drl on my rear view mirror and thought it was either a Cayenne Turbo or GTS, but when it got closer I noticed it was an Agate Macan S. When it passed me I could really appreciate the size and the 3d effect of the rear lights. IMO the size and proportions of the car look very good, I agree with others that it makes the cayenne look heavy. But I still feel that the rear is missing a little emotion. the lights look great but theres something about it that just makes it a bit undewhelming. 

I am thinking of painting the mirrors and rear spoiler in black... Carbon would have been great...

Didn't realize, the rear spoiler is already blacksmiley

So that leave only the mirrors to spruce it up... Black or red? kiss

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689577 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409236 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234993 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857982 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774041 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM