Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Macan Turbo - Short Driving Report

RC:
    RS 991:

Raising up the RPM's would be a possibility to make the engine more emotional, even if it needs a lot more engineering to do so. They did the same with the 991 turbo/ turbo S. That would at least justify the higher price of a Macan TTS, than just a different ecu mapping. But it seems difficult to me to give the Macan GTS its own personality... An another possibility is to play with boost and overboost functions, which is more likely I guess.  wink

The 991 Turbo S doesn't sound better than the 997 Turbo S because they simply raised the rpm. Smiley

Still...compare a 991 Turbo S to a Ferrari or Lamborghini and the emotional part isn't even close.

I think Porsche is becoming more and more a mass producer and they are getting closer and closer to become a second BMW or Audi. Not really my cup of tea. Yes, I supported the introduction of the Cayenne and even the Panamera but I always said that with such non-typical Porsche models, Porsche needs to offer the world's best performance in it's class. It worked at the beginning (Cayenne Turbo/S) but now the competition got stronger and stronger. 

Yes, I get it...the Macan is supposed to be a mass production car for a broader customer audience but this doesn't mean Porsche cannot add one or two emotional and very special Macan models to the model range. So far, the Macan Turbo just doesn't cut it and I just hope that Porsche is aware of it and will correct this. If they put a Macan Turbo S on the market with 30 hp more and some shiny wheels Smiley, this just isn't enough. Same goes to the Macan GTS: A sportier setup won't cut it, there needs to be a proper sound and something special about this car too.

Macan is IMO the biggest dissapontment of all new Porsche models introduced in last 8 years. What could Macan do better then its competitors?

Only offer better drive dynamics... Just... I am personally not so much interested in fantastic drive dynamics of 2t car but, rather to rear bench size, trunk size and value for money. 

Btw, what are most powerfull engines in competitor modesl a la Q5 or X3/X4? Diesels with more then 310ps...

What can Macan Turbo better then for example forthcoming Audi S6 Avant with 450ps? Nothing.

This is exactly my point. If Porsche wants to sell us SUVs and sedans, no problem with that. Make them the best performers in the world though and right now, I think that Porsche started to loose their "touch". Just compare the new E63 AMG S 4matic with the Panamera Turbo S. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Picking it up tomorrow... So we shall see.

I drove the Macan turbo first time aggressively  on sharp curves with up and down terrain.   I liked the car.  I really do think for someone who drives the curves that they might (like me) consider waiting for the Turbo S or the GTS version to come out assuming they will be offered with PDCC.  I found that the Macan had as much or more body roll than my 2014 range rover sport V6 that has the extra duty package ( which reduces body roll ).    I did like the way the back end of the car comes around, even without the optional torque vectoring.   Very nice seats and interior feel too.  Again, I think with PDCC and 30-40 additional hp. that this could be quite a fun upright 'sports car'.  

Not again: Porsche Macan under investigation for faulty brakes -  http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/05/porsche-investigating-2500-macans-faulty-brakes.html

Porsche has bungled two of the last product launches.

CGX car nut:

Not again: Porsche Macan under investigation for faulty brakes -  http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/05/porsche-investigating-2500-macans-faulty-brakes.html

Porsche has bungled two of the last product launches.

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20944482/Brake_problems_Macan/page1.html

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Sorry - that thread was not on the top of the Porsche forum heap!

Picked up the Macan turbo and already drove it 200km...

Design wise the car has a great presence on the streets, especially the rear which looks somewhat uninspired in pics. I think it has to do with the 3D shape of the rear lights... Roof line gives a very sporty flair and definitely more aggressive than the Cayenne. Front is also more aggressive than the Cayenne but the difference is less. Overall a very well balanced design. This car is dying to get some nice bright colors laugh unfortunately we had to settle on Agate grey which is much darker than what we really wanted... The carbon blades don't have enough contrast with the grey, you can barely see them... The 20" RS spider wheels are awesome, with some black accents.

Moving to the interior, the dual tone red/black leather is simply stunning. The tone of the red is perfect, not too dark, not too bright. The quality and finish of the interior is way beyond our 2009 CTTS. Design and surfaces and ridges here and there, nice stitching, buttons are well laid out, gauges are very readable. Carbon package fits this combo really really well. The carbon steering wheel is awesome. Compared to a Q5 I drove a year ago, the difference is like a Camry to an S class... Rear space is adequate for normal people, the front is definitely more snug than the older Cayenne due to the higher center console. Every button is used on my very high specced car. Gear shift is pretty but absolutely useless these days. The trunk is deep enough but of course the roof line will compromise maximum cargo. Not a big deal for me but could be for some.

Gadgets: I have selected every driving aid option possible since I drive often on highway for commuting. Lane change warning in the mirrors is the sambas Audi, nothing new. Lane change assist tries to keep you in lane and will steer the wheel by itself! Pretty cool, works for only 10 secs if you don't use the wheel. It works great when the lanes are clearly marked. After this harsh winter in the US however, the system struggles to find the actual lanes on the road, can be fooled by sun reflection also... Adaptive cruise control however is flawless and very intuitive. Entertainment system is standard Porsche. No comment on Bose system, sounds ok, Burmeister not worth it for me since I listen to news a lot and not music. Bluetooth streaming is something nice to have.

Driving: the most important part for this tough bunch angry As others said, exhaust sound inside the cabin is muted. Opening the windows help just a touch. Sound is very characteristic of a V6 turbo, but sounds less vacuum cleaner than the CTTS. Outside at idle sound is actually not bad, a smooth sporty rumble. Overall compared to the 09 CTTS I call it almost a wash for inside sound: less loud but since it wasn't a great sound anyway it is ok. From outside the CTTS was more aggressive and mean sounding. And V8 vs V6, no need to elaborate... A sport or aftermarket exhaust might help. Where the car shines however is driving dynamics and PDK. The car feel is very similar to the Panamera but with higher center of gravity and higher driving position. It don't think the difference The power delivery is very linear, zero turbo/gear lag (a BIG plus over the 09 CTTS) and the auto gear selection is great. Less brutal but more efficient so the car feels as fast despite having 150 less hp. The car could use more hp but it is definitely not underpowered when coupled to the PDK, especially for US roads. Dynamics: close to Panamara, which in itself is a great achievement. I was disappointed by the Panamera because I was expecting something closer to a sports car. But in the crossover package that the Macan is, it works and you can have fun driving the car. Compared to the Cayenne, you really feel the lower weight and center of gravity. I have really not felt the lack of PDCC yet, but I would have ordered it if available as it surely would help. There was some body roll in tight curves, but nothing problematic.

My conclusion: the Macan turbo is the ultimate luxury sporty daily driver in the US as I expected. Not too big, not too small, high driving position, can haul passengers and cargo, comfortable but tight, fun to drive if you need it and enough power to overtake 99.9% of the cars around you. The car has exceeded my very high expectations. 40 more hp and better exhaust sound would be great, but IMHO not worth the $20k that Porsche will ask for in the Macan TTS. Price vs the Panamera is extremely competitive for something IMHO similar. I look forward to enjoy this car for the years to come.

Congrats, enjoy it in good health!

Very good write up, I also liked the Macan Turbo when I drove it. Very sporty setup.

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

RC:

When I heard about the Macan for the first time, the idea of a smaller SUV from Porsche actually sounded like a good idea. The Cayenne is still heavy and the most powerful versions have become almost too expensive, with the Cayenne Turbo S topping the model range. The Macan I test-drove isn't really a bargain at over 100k EUR but the car was equipped with all the goodies, including full leather and Burmester, so don't be surprised.

I don't want to bore you with little details or an extensive photo gallery, so many things have already been said, so I'm cutting it down to the chase.

POSITIVE

- Sportiest SUV on the planet in my opinion. I drove many different SUVs over the past couple of years, incl. the latest Cayenne Turbo S and the Cayenne GTS and I have to say that the Macan Turbo is the closest you can get to a 911 in a SUV. Amazing steering and suspension setup, only thing I would add is PDCC because there is some noticeable body roll in fast curves, even if there is basically no understeer and the car feels and drives razor sharp.

- PDK shifts fast, especially on downshifts.

- Quality impression is very good, though not quite as good as on the Cayenne (not much difference though).

- Very good brake system with good feel.

- Very good throttle response (Sport mode)

- Very direct and sharp steering feel, almost 911-like with a bit more "lightness" (the steering on my 991 Turbo S and Boxster S feels "firmer") in it, probably due to a stronger power steering involvement (I guess).

- Engine has practically no turbo lag and feels powerful.

- Very stable at higher speeds (over 240 kph), car feels rocksolid.

- Interior noise at higher speeds acceptable (you can still talk to your passengers at over 240 kph).

- Very good stability/feel in curves and sharp turns, practically no understeer and the rear comes nicely if you provoke it (in Sport mode or if you turn off PSM). For a SUV, the limit is very high, very impressive.

- Weight of the car can be barely felt during driving, the car feels more like 1600-1700 kg weight, not 2 tons.

- Burmester system sounds very nice (must have) but is at the limit of what I would accept as a good HiFi system in a car.

NEGATIVE

- Lower seating position (compared to the Cayenne or other SUVs), the Macan seating position doesn't provide the feel of a SUV (which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it). 

- Worst sounding 400 hp engine I ever heard in my entire life. In the interior, even with the window cracked open, you don't hear much of the engine either. On the outside it is a bit better at idle only, just imagine the 991 Turbo S engine sound but with a felt 50% less volume. A shame for a Porsche. 

- Brake system is great but brake pedal operation/sensitivity may be a bit too aggressive for regular drivers.

- Throttle response (in Sport mode) is great but has a bit of an artificial feel too it, it should be more linear.

- Manual PDK upshifts could be faster at lower rpm figures.

- Steering wheel looks amazing (918-style) but could be a little bit thicker.

- Luggage room not really great, in real life situations, it fits two mid sized luggage pieces only.

- Passenger room in the rear is limited, kids may be happy in the rear, adults (or adolescents) very likely not.

- Very linear boost of the engine kind of gives the feeling of being underpowered, there is no turbo punch you would expect from a 400 hp car.

- Surprisingly high fuel consumption at higher speeds, I expected a lot but didn't expect Cayenne Turbo/S territory.

- Burmester HiFi system sounds nice but you wouldn't want anything less, which renders the BOSE kind of useless. I start to get the feeling that the BOSE system is only a basic system. I won't even start with the really basic sound system.

- Some noticeable body roll in sharp curves.

VERDICT

Amazing small SUV, very sportscar-like drive and steering feel but overall, maybe not what I expected. There is no emotion coming from this car, nothing at all. The engine performs without any spectacular noise or habit and after driving the Macan Turbo for half an hour, boredom sat in. Unless of course I hit some nice curves to play with, something the Macan Turbo is really made for. The chassis and steering setup are remarkable, so is the AWD setup with practically no understeer and oversteer capabilities.

The fuel consumption at higher speeds, I wasn't even able to drive at top speed, was very shocking to say at least. Even at lower speeds, the fuel consumption barely dropped below 19 liters / 100 km. Quite weird. Yes, I was driving in Sport mode all the time but not really that fast.

I was also very surprised how bad the engine sounds from the interior. In a Cayenne Turbo, at least you get a taste of a V8 sound but in the Macan Turbo, you get...nothing. How is that possible? How can Porsche actually allow this car to carry the name Porsche? I am very very disappointed. In the exhaust sound department, Porsche really has to start to overthink their strategy because the typical "turbo engine" excuse just doesn't work with me anymore. How do other manufacturers do that? Exactly my point.

Performance-wise, the 400 hp engine may look great on paper but in reality, the 400 horses have to move a 2 ton car. You cannot feel the weight of the Macan, this is something Porsche did really great but you can feel the...lack of power. The power output and delivery of the 400 hp engine is very linear, there is no turbo punch. This is why the car feels underpowered at times and yes, I am serious about it. The engine on the test car wasn't lacking power (1.2 max boost pressure) but it just worked. It is the perfection of the power delivery which may actually be the biggest problem here.

Overall, I liked the Macan Turbo. However, I would never ever get a less powerful version. On the contrary, I just hope that Porsche will offer at least 40 hp more in the rumored Turbo S because this is probably the minimum amount of power needed not to feel underpowered in this car.

The Macan reminds me a lot of the Boxster, very refined and fun to drive but not really what I expected from Porsche. Yes, the Macan is a very good SUV, no doubt about it but it lacks any emotions. How often will you drive your Macan Turbo to the track? Get my point? The track is probably the only place you will actually enjoy driving this SUV, as weird as this may sound to many of you.

If you are looking for a small SUV to complement your sports car, the Macan Turbo could be the right choice...for a lot of money. Yes, the Cayenne Turbo (or even the GTS) are much more expensive and less sporty than the Macan Turbo but to be honest, they provide more emotions (V8 engine) and of course more interior and luggage room. 

So why would someone buy a Macan Turbo? Well, good question. I would get one because the Cayenne Turbo is much more expensive. For me, this is the only reason I would get a Macan Turbo over the Cayenne Turbo.

I am sorry if some of you expected a more positive review of the Macan Turbo but this is how I see this car. I didn't like the first Cayenne too much either, so my opinion can change over time. If Porsche decides to add some emotions to the Macan. Right now, the only good thing about it is the steering and chassis setup and maybe, maybe the price tag. if this is enough for you, go for it, you will be happy.

mactacho.jpg

macboost.jpg

macfuel.jpg

machinten.jpg

mackoffer.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thanks RC for the great review I only read now. Bottom line is pretty disappointing, maybe the Macan Diesel is not a bad option after all. Similar handling performance, more torque, crappy sound and zero aural involvment as the turbo - but a lot cheaper.

Obviouly the SUVs will never feel like a sports car, but if I buy a Porsche with the Turbo badge I expect at least some involvement and excitement!! They managed to do it with the Cayenne GTS (and even the Diesel S sound great for a Diesel!) , why not in the Macan Turbo?? 

Seriously, they are just going after the money of 'badge keen' customers nowadays, they don't care whether this is a housewife or sportscar driver - pecunia non olet!  Pity...

--

turbolite

SciFrog:

Design wise the car has a great presence on the streets, especially the rear which looks somewhat uninspired in pics. I think it has to do with the 3D shape of the rear lights... Roof line gives a very sporty flair and definitely more aggressive than the Cayenne. Front is also more aggressive than the Cayenne but the difference is less. Overall a very well balanced design. This car is dying to get some nice bright colors laugh unfortunately we had to settle on Agate grey which is much darker than what we really wanted... The carbon blades don't have enough contrast with the grey, you can barely see them... The 20" RS spider wheels are awesome, with some black accents.

Moving to the interior, the dual tone red/black leather is simply stunning. The tone of the red is perfect, not too dark, not too bright. The quality and finish of the interior is way beyond our 2009 CTTS. Design and surfaces and ridges here and there, nice stitching, buttons are well laid out, gauges are very readable. Carbon package fits this combo really really well. The carbon steering wheel is awesome. Compared to a Q5 I drove a year ago, the difference is like a Camry to an S class... Rear space is adequate for normal people, the front is definitely more snug than the older Cayenne due to the higher center console. Every button is used on my very high specced car. Gear shift is pretty but absolutely useless these days. The trunk is deep enough but of course the roof line will compromise maximum cargo. Not a big deal for me but could be for some.

Gadgets: I have selected every driving aid option possible since I drive often on highway for commuting. Lane change warning in the mirrors is the sambas Audi, nothing new. Lane change assist tries to keep you in lane and will steer the wheel by itself! Pretty cool, works for only 10 secs if you don't use the wheel. It works great when the lanes are clearly marked. After this harsh winter in the US however, the system struggles to find the actual lanes on the road, can be fooled by sun reflection also... Adaptive cruise control however is flawless and very intuitive. Entertainment system is standard Porsche. No comment on Bose system, sounds ok, Burmeister not worth it for me since I listen to news a lot and not music. Bluetooth streaming is something nice to have.

Driving: the most important part for this tough bunch angry As others said, exhaust sound inside the cabin is muted. Opening the windows help just a touch. Sound is very characteristic of a V6 turbo, but sounds less vacuum cleaner than the CTTS. Outside at idle sound is actually not bad, a smooth sporty rumble. Overall compared to the 09 CTTS I call it almost a wash for inside sound: less loud but since it wasn't a great sound anyway it is ok. From outside the CTTS was more aggressive and mean sounding. And V8 vs V6, no need to elaborate... A sport or aftermarket exhaust might help. Where the car shines however is driving dynamics and PDK. The car feel is very similar to the Panamera but with higher center of gravity and higher driving position. It don't think the difference The power delivery is very linear, zero turbo/gear lag (a BIG plus over the 09 CTTS) and the auto gear selection is great. Less brutal but more efficient so the car feels as fast despite having 150 less hp. The car could use more hp but it is definitely not underpowered when coupled to the PDK, especially for US roads. Dynamics: close to Panamara, which in itself is a great achievement. I was disappointed by the Panamera because I was expecting something closer to a sports car. But in the crossover package that the Macan is, it works and you can have fun driving the car. Compared to the Cayenne, you really feel the lower weight and center of gravity. I have really not felt the lack of PDCC yet, but I would have ordered it if available as it surely would help. There was some body roll in tight curves, but nothing problematic.

My conclusion: the Macan turbo is the ultimate luxury sporty daily driver in the US as I expected. Not too big, not too small, high driving position, can haul passengers and cargo, comfortable but tight, fun to drive if you need it and enough power to overtake 99.9% of the cars around you. The car has exceeded my very high expectations. 40 more hp and better exhaust sound would be great, but IMHO not worth the $20k that Porsche will ask for in the Macan TTS. Price vs the Panamera is extremely competitive for something IMHO similar. I look forward to enjoy this car for the years to come.

Great, thanks for being so detailed about the car. Some pics of the carbon inside and out would be very much appreciated. 

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your impressions. Smiley Would be nice to see some pictures. Smiley

Even there may be some points to complain about, Porsche has filled a gap, because the competition isn't that sporty and powerful. Many owners will appreciate that. It's just a perfect allrounder.

Attended our dealer launch event last week, and the white Turbo shown was a big hit for the crowd.  All three launch cars were sold before the party.  

i talked to two of the three buyers, and they both view the Macan as a fun "plaything".  Neither buyer was a young, hip "thirty something".  They were wealthy Turbo S and Panamera owners, and just bought their Macans almost for the "fun" of it.  i also talked to many of the salesman about the over 20 non-refundable deposits for Macans, and the buyer demographic is definitely a wealthy crowd, buying the cars as a second or third car.  

Small sample, I know, but i found it Interesting...

Hmm... I saw three different Macans on street of Zagreb in last 7 days. All were with Croatian plates and all were Diesel versions...

I was at the local Macan launch on Wednesday night. All three models were there and everybody (not all Porsche customers) liked the styling. The car appeared very desirable especially to women from 25 to 65 years. Most men still preferred the Cayenne.

The interior was a big hit with everybody.

The Turbo with its totally painted plastics looked the more expensive (which it is) and complete car. The white car presented was very well received.

They have already closed an impressive number of sales given the small market size and that the car starts from €59.000 before discounts. Most owners or users are women.

IMO, Porsche's recent trend of leaving to much unpainted plastic on all their models, cheapens their cars. I could see the aesthetic argument about contrasting black surfaces provided they are painted (like BMW) or made of a plastic that doesn't become soiled and discoloured with time (like Audi). Porsche's plastic texture is of the type used on MINIs and small VWs!

--

"Form follows function"

I agree with reginos' post; the unpainted surfaces are rather unattractive/detract from the exterior aesthetic and the texture of the exterior plastics is very cheap-looking. The huge black panel on the rear of the expensive Panamera is one of the worst offenders.

Building on this, I saw a post on the UK Macan Owners' forums and found this unhappy and frankly alarming review. Read it and let me know what you think.

Could Porsche be rushing Macan production?

rulesdontapply

Posted: 26 May 2014 at 7:58pm
    ====================================
    Bumbo wrote:

Pacmeoff what other problems are you having ??
    ====================================

1. Alarm - Having to disable to prevent flase alarms.
    2. Black trim on the rear passenger door by rear quarter window cracked
    3. Rattle on rear passenger door trim
    4. Knock when turning/weight transfer somewhere in the rear
    5. One shot window opening/closing does not work on either front windows - manual reset tried
    6. Passenger front door - paint scratched on delivery - waiting to see if it can be polished out
    7. Driver's door opened onto the wing/bonnet and chipped leading edge of door paint - Panel Gap is not consistent with the passenger side.

Done less than 500 miles - not impressed

And I suspect the drivers door will now need to be respray to repair damage done by the door panel gap.

First Porsche not impressed, I have had more issues with this car in the last 3 week than I have with 2 Jag XF, 1 Jag XK and a Range Rover Sport in the last five years. so much for German build quality.

Let's hope Porsche customer service redeems itself.
    ======================================

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Massive production certainly draws more percentage of lemons out there.... 

SciFrog:

Thanks for your review . Glad you are happy and enjoying the car .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

rulesdontapply:

1. Alarm - Having to disable to prevent flase alarms.
    2. Black trim on the rear passenger door by rear quarter window cracked
    3. Rattle on rear passenger door trim
    4. Knock when turning/weight transfer somewhere in the rear
    5. One shot window opening/closing does not work on either front windows - manual reset tried
    6. Passenger front door - paint scratched on delivery - waiting to see if it can be polished out
    7. Driver's door opened onto the wing/bonnet and chipped leading edge of door paint - Panel Gap is not consistent with the passenger side.

I am having the same issue with the alarm.  The only answer Porsche has at the moment is to disable the interior motion sensor.  Pressing the lock button on your key a second time, within two seconds of the first press, will disable the interior alarm sensor, which is apparently the source of the problem.  I am told most Macans have this issue and Porsche is working on a fix, but has no other solution at this time.

I have not experienced any of the other issues reported above and am loving the car so far.

My 997 did this all the time. Always locked it with double tap to disable interior sensor. 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

200 miles. Zero issues.

SciFrog:

200 miles. Zero issues. Zero exhaust sound.

Sorry, couldn't help it. Smiley

Congratulations, I am glad you like it. 

Now where the heck are the photos???  Smiley Smiley

--

I got to 200 miles and was made an offer on it with a significant premium over list that was simply too good to turn down. I agree on the lack of emotion the car generates and guess I had hoped/expected a little more in this regard so it was an easy decision to sell it. I may well revisit the Macan at some future date but in the meantime ordered a Cayman GTS instead.

Ha ha ha - good on you!! 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

ISUK:

I got to 200 miles and was made an offer on it with a significant premium over list that was simply too good to turn down. I agree on the lack of emotion the car generates and guess I had hoped/expected a little more in this regard so it was an easy decision to sell it. I may well revisit the Macan at some future date but in the meantime ordered a Cayman GTS instead.

Very interesting. Do you still have the Firenze red RRS? has that proven to be a more suitable SUV?

Yes, I still have the Range Rover Sport and much prefer it as an SUV I have to confess. It's from a class size above so a direct comparison isn't really relevant but the power defecit doesn't bother me in that car as it just such a nice place to sit with a much more commanding view of the road, pretty good handling in Dynamic mode, far better economy, and enough speed for real world driving. It is a very relaxing car on a long drive and has proved to be trouble free. Passengers also seem to prefer it as the feeling of space inside and the views out are much better.

The Macan felt like sitting in a slightly raised hatchback in comparison with a much more snug feeling interior. It is quick but does not feel really rapid due to the lack of noise. The fuel consumption takes a real nose dive as soon as you tickle the throttle and that's when you realise how heavy the car is. The consumption just increases hugely at even moderate speeds and I found myself staring at the various MPG readouts available on the PCM and info screens in disbelief as I accelerated from say 50 mph to 70 mph. I think a more powerful diesel engine would suit this car and provide a more acceptable balance of performance and economy.

Indeed putting down the throttle increases fuel usage quite a chunk... Still 30% better than my old CTTS though...

SciFrog:

Indeed putting down the throttle increases fuel usage quite a chunk... Still 30% better than my old CTTS though...

That's quite an understatement Smiley It won't matter so much in the US where gas prices are still relatively cheap but over here it becomes somewhat tiring having to regularly visit a gas station and see your wallet take a mugging Smiley 

It felt like I didn't need speed cameras or Police radar traps to deter me from speeding........ the instantaneous read out of the MPG figure did that all by itself Smiley

Didn't realize that the Macan turbo is 500lbs lighter than Cayenne turbo... 100lbs lighter than a Panamera turbo according to Porsche website (curb weights).

The gas tank however is only 19.8 gallons vs 26.4...

Web site says 17/23  mpg. My combo of highway and city drive yielded a 16mpg averageSmiley least to say I really wanted to try the car and the engineSmiley

Acceleration of the Macan turbo seems on par with Cayenne turbo, with 100 less hp... Top speed? Who cares here in the USlaugh

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762808 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435564 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257644 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807872 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM