Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2014 Monaco F1 Grand Prix

Carlos from Spain:

At the very end of the Q3, Rosberg having the best lap time of the session so far "lost control" of his car and went into a run off area which caused yellow flags, etc and ruined Hamilton's flying lap who was behind him and he was beating Rosberg's sector timmings attempting to beat Rosberg's lap for the pole at that time. After that lap there was no more time in the session for Hamilton to make another attempt.

Very unfair for Hamilton who seems like deserved the pole, and did not get it because Rosberg made a mistake right were he could ruin Hamilton's last lap attempt, though I think it was unintentional but you never know. So it will be a heated first lap it seems...

Thank you, Carlos. Smiley

Sounds a lot like a typical "Schuhmacher-manoeuvre", only that it's Rosberg this time. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Michael was penalized but Rosberg wasn't.  Can anyone know for certain what was intentional or not? I really like Rosberg but this was just too convenient for him.

F1 can't let qualifying end this way. Just not fair to the others. Perhaps they should just extend the session after clearing the track? The one causing the incident could be prevented from continuing as a penalty.

Hamilton seems to be questioning every decision made by his team manager? Not cool or professional IMO.  He should simply drive and try to keep his mouth shut - especially to the media, regarding Rosberg.  Again, not cool.

Its imposible to tell if intentional or not, it wasn't as obvoious as when Schumi did it. Nevertheless that decided not only the qualifying but also the sunday race result as well. With the safety car right when the only pitstop of the race was planed, Hamilton had no chance at winning the race against another Mercedes. Should he had gotten the pole, he would have won as well IMO.

That said, I don't fell sorry for any of the two had it gone either way, they have it much too easy this year with the ridiculous car advantage they have of the rest of the drivers this season. Its basically a two driver championship broken heart Just look at the classification so far

1 Nico Rosberg German Mercedes 122
    2 Lewis Hamilton British Mercedes 118
    3 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 61
    4 Daniel Ricciardo Australian Red Bull Racing-Renault 54
    5 Nico Hulkenberg German Force India-Mercedes 47
    6 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 45
    7 Valtteri Bottas Finnish Williams-Mercedes 34
    8 Jenson Button British McLaren-Mercedes 31
    9 Kevin Magnussen Danish McLaren-Mercedes 21
    10 Sergio Perez Mexican Force India-Mercedes 20
    11 Felipe Massa Brazilian Williams-Mercedes 18
    12 Kimi Räikkönen Finnish Ferrari 17

--

Just came back from the track.  

Good race. Season will be a little like the big 80s McLaren seasons. Duel of 2 drivers. I doubt that Rosberg did that brake incident on purpose. Anyhow there is a "war" at Mercedes, and I don't think it started just yesterday after Q3. 

Beside Nico/Lewis...great drives by Raikkonen, Ricciardo and Hulkenberg. So sorry that Kimi's race had been destroyed by a Marussia during safety car. 

To follow-up on the 2014 F1 noise discussion....it's worse than I expected. Really silent in sense of non-present/non-dominant. I watched (listened) the cars from several occasions. Really disappointing...very sportscar alike. GP2 seems almost to sound better. 

Calle it, Rosberg! He also signed a two year extension this weekend so he's very happy. I think it was unintentional, but let's just enjoy that this will be an open battle... Unlike at Ferrari where NO one would wanna watch anymore.... 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Carlos from Spain:

Its imposible to tell if intentional or not, it wasn't as obvoious as when Schumi did it. Nevertheless that decided not only the qualifying but also the sunday race result as well. With the safety car right when the only pitstop of the race was planed, Hamilton had no chance at winning the race against another Mercedes. Should he had gotten the pole, he would have won as well IMO.

That said, I don't fell sorry for any of the two had it gone either way, they have it much too easy this year with the ridiculous car advantage they have of the rest of the drivers this season. Its basically a two driver championship broken heart Just look at the classification so far ...

Just finally watched the recording since I wasn't able to watch the race, and their was some talk about about Rosberg's car having had the wrong air pressure in the tires during Q3, and that he was blaming his little "off" on that, although, it didn't seem to be a problem on the previous lap. But, we'll never really know...

The least interesting race of the season so far, although, that might have been in part due to the coverage which consisted mostly of the cameras following Hamilton following Rosberg, so one couldn't really see what sort of battles might be happening behind, although  it didn't really seem like much. Then of course, when Hamilton got something in his eye and had to slow down, there ended up being no battle at the end, so, more than a bit of an anti-climax. But, certainly a two driver season, the rest of the drivers might as well stay home. At least, though, it's not a one driver season.

Ricciardo had a respectable race, all things considered, and Vettel seems to certainly be under some sort of curse this season -- I think someone previously mentioned that he got the "Weber car", so true.

Hamilton never liked to play the second fiddle.

I heard that Mercedes decided to let Rosberg take the lead and continue the way to the championship, practically setting Hamilton back on purpose. I can imagine Hamilton isn't too pleased about it if true.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

"Lewis not happy finishing second is normal, but in the end he has to accept another guy was quicker. This is very simple in racing.

"What I did not like, and I have to say, and I will tell him this on Monday, is that when you are up there [on the podium] and you don't say hello to your team-mate, which Nico has always done, that is not good.

"It's not because I am well educated, but it's for the brand Mercedes. This is something I start to worry about now, but it's easy to fix."

The above is what Lauda had to say about Monaco.

Conclusion: Rosberg was simply faster and Hamilton showed bad manners something which M-B management don't like.

--

"Form follows function"

Hamilton has always been a bit petulant, and suffers from a sense of entitlement that comes from believing some of the hyperbole those around him have engaged in. I suppose the irony of his comments on Rosberg,

"I come from a not-great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad's apartment, and Nico grew up in Monaco with jets and hotels and boats and all these kind of things,"

is perhaps lost on him.

There is no competition between drivers from different teams but at least we can compare teammates with the same car... Hamilton is outperforming Ros so far, rookie Ricciardo outperforming the supposed champ Vettel, and Alonso is killing Kimi and 3rd in the championship with a Ferrari Smiley

--

Didn't Brundle say that Rosberg reversed back towards the track in that narrow run off area, to make the yellow flag more probable. NR should just left his car at the furthest point, Q3 was done for him. That was the dodgy part for me.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

GT3 pick up?, when P find a fix..

Hamilton was/is never the favourite of F1, he will never get the 'preferred' treatment.

He is always the cocky one, plus being black doesn't help, sad, but true.

--

Whoopsy:

Hamilton was/is never the favourite of F1, he will never get the 'preferred' treatment.

I don't think this is an issue. He was a protege of Ron Dennis from a very early age and his colour was never a problem in the feeder series or in becoming established inF1.

Even those who racially discriminate are used to black people in sport. Half of the footballers are black, anyway.

Besides for those who pay attention to human classification, Hamilton is half-black, like Obama. If the world is used to a non-white President of the USA, why not to a F1 champion driver?

Personally, I'd like him to win this year. He is the better driver compared to Rosberg.

--

"Form follows function"

+1 - totally agree with you...kiss

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Does anyone believe that Mercedes success is likely to transpose into any meaningful increase in sales for the brand? Whilst I see some elements of F1 technology making it's way through to product lines from Ferrari & McLaren, I don't really get the Mercedes connections.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

Give them time - they're new born babies!

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I would not expect Rosberg to engage in dirty tricks but he did use an engine boost setting in Bahrain that Mercedes had forbidden. Hamilton used it in Barcelona thinking, after Bahrain, anything goes.

As for qualification at Monaco, looking at the in car footage, it's clear that Rosberg was turning the steering from side to side many times well before his front right wheel locked so it is suspicious to say the least ... but there is no conclusive proof that it was deliberate. Hamilton assumed the worst since he is in a tight title battle. Comments that he should 'man up' by Derek Warwick or 'lose with dignity' by Mika Hakkinen would mean he should never question his rival's tactics. That's naive when a world championship is at stake.

Anyway, this was just one chapter in the title battle. It's a delicious fight for us to enjoy for the rest of the season ... plenty of twists and turns to come ...

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Very pleased to see Marussia score their first F1 points. Bravo! A pity it was 9th not 8th due to the 5 second penalty. Caterham seem to be really struggling by comparison.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Whoopsy:

This has nothing to do with his skin color; he's just an annoying character, imho.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779894 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442375 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263177 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261491 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85695 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5845 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881205 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818061 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM