Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: BMW i8

I agree that the M5 has serious traction issues. Hard kick-downs at 200+ km/h activate the traction even at 20+ degrees. But the rest of the car impressed me so much that I've accepted this flow. It's been hinted that the next generation M5 will have AWD. On the other side, the latest RS6 disappointed me. It's not the performance king anymore, it still carries the flowed Audi front-heavy architecture, the dull steering, no dual-clutch transmission and the interior, even opted with all the extras from the "Exclusive" catalog is mostly plastic/rubber thing. 

Herbaliser:

I agree that the M5 has serious traction issues. Hard kick-downs at 200+ km/h activate the traction even at 20+ degrees. But the rest of the car impressed me so much that I've accepted this flow. It's been hinted that the next generation M5 will have AWD. On the other side, the latest RS6 disappointed me. It's not the performance king anymore, it still carries the flowed Audi front-heavy architecture, the dull steering, no dual-clutch transmission and the interior, even opted with all the extras from the "Exclusive" catalog is mostly plastic/rubber thing. 

The interior finish of both the S8 and RS5 impressed me, but plastic is quite prevelant in the standard offerings. I was surprised as people have been raving about Audi fit and finish but apparently only in some high end models.

reginos:

BMW are losing it big time.

They built up a name synonymous with sportiness and yet today they cannot produce a decent performance car.

They are content to sell lots of 3 and 5 series diesels to middle class families and company employees and have ignored all the rest. Their limousines are overshadowed by Mercedes, they haven't produced a decent coupe/GT for ages now, they cannot design a proper halo model and in motorsport they are constantly in and out (F1, Superbikes, Endurance)  without any significant success.

Audi are doing exactly the opposite in road cars and motorsport and look at their success story over the last 20-30 years.

Shame, because I used to like this brand a lot.

+1

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Thing looks good to me in black, but haven't seen one in person yet.  But generally too many different colors on the exterior for my liking.  Will hold off until I see one in person.  I do like the doors and carbon tub, though (kind of like the eco-friendly version of a McLaren).  I can see a market for this car, but wonder how a car like this would hold up over a 10 year ownership cycle?

I test drove the younger brother on the weekend as I was at the dealer anyway. The i3 without the REX (range extender) will take you 160km. I would assume that this is without running the AC. Anyway, the tires are very tall and thin to reduce friction and the chassis is made of carbon fibre reinforced plastic. On the areas that aren't painted such as the door jams, you can see the material quite clearly. The car had keyless entry and a simple start/stop button. A switch on the side of the guage cluster lets you select R-N-D, and Park is a separate button. The handling was surprisingly tight for what the car is, and acceleration was impressive (again, taking into account what the car is), as it is probably on par with small turbo engine, like a 328i for example. Going into a corner quickly is another story as the height of the car combined with the skinny tires didn't inspire confidence. The rear storage compartment is a fair size for a small car too. Anyway, it's not going to break any performance records but if you live in a large city or just have a short commute it would probably be a decent way to get around. Styling is a bit over the top. Tesla has the right idea on what an electric car should look like - this is too futuristic for my taste, and reminds me of something you would see in the original Total Recall. surprise

On a side note, BMW leasing residuals for this car are pretty bad - 30% over 4 years. In contrast, they give you 49% on the diesel cars. This low residual probably factors in the cost of replacement batteries and the advancements that newer cars will have 4 years down the road making pre-owned less appealing.

1401120224930photo.JPG

I saw an i3 in Paris last fall. Same looking spec as that. For what it is, I quite liked it in the brief moment it drove by.

I like refine, futuristic cars like these. I think the reason it's a bit over the top is because concepts always get dulled down and the future cars don't look futuristic at all when they finally arrive. Lots of concepts are super cool and futuristic, but usually not feasible in one way or another and end up looking much more meg. If more cars delivered what the concepts offered, I think people would find these i-series more appealing. They aren't bad designs, but rather just breaking the mold of what we're used to.

As for Tesla, someone near me got one. Car is super meh looking. I would say the looks and trim of the Tesla are some of the least desirable aspects of the car. $100K doesn't go far in terms of aesthetics and looks with the Model S, IMO.

^ I think manufacturers sometimes try too hard in designing electric or hybrid vehicles. I love the idea of a more efficient drivetrain in a car but they don't have to make the car look ridiculous in the process. Look at the Prius or Honda Insight, below. Ugh.

800px-Honda_Insight_Back.jpg

That's why Tesla is doing so well. It's a normal EV, by appearance. Watch for this Chinese billionaire who bought Fisker... He wants to get head to head with Tesla in the mass produced EV market. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Why do you need a stop/start button on an electric car?

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

Atzporsche:

That's why Tesla is doing so well. It's a normal EV, by appearance. Watch for this Chinese billionaire who bought Fisker... He wants to get head to head with Tesla in the mass produced EV market. 

Exactly. The i3 looks like crap (look at it from the front, it looks even more ridiculous if you have it in your rear view mirror) and reminds me a lot of the Smart, only bigger. I hate the Smart, this is an abomination of a car.

Saw a couple of Tesla S over here in Bavaria and they really look good. Not spectacular, not sensational, they actually look quite ordinary but in a good way. You can recognize them right away but they do not look bad or good, just perfect. Very good (and clever) design concept.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

bridggar:

Why do you need a stop/start button on an electric car?

It's basically the power on/off switch.

If you keep it pressed for more than 5 sec maybe restarts the car (like a computer/smartphone)! Just joking...

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

If you keep it pressed for more than 5 sec maybe restarts the car (like a computer/smartphone)! Just joking...

Haha. A hard reboot Smiley

--

Saw my first i8 on the road this morning. If it's the dealer's car I may try to swing a test drive. It looks pretty good on the road from what I saw of it.

1402584952353photo.JPG

No luck with the drive as it's a loner from BMW Canada, but, I did sit in it. There is a ton of carbon fibre in the car. It's also a bit difficult to get into but once you're in there it's quite roomy. You can see in the second picture that there is large sidewall to climb over but it's worse in the Tesla Roadster if you've ever been in one of those. The back seats are a joke, even worse than the 911. Luggage space is about the size of the back trunk in the Boxster.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Thanks Joe!

I had the chance on an event for 7-clients to drive the car.

The power feels good - car accelerates as strong as my Porsche. BUT - as those tyres are so slim, you really could feel on fast driven country roads that the car doesnt stick as good as the Porsche. I had the feeling of driving an Audi-TT or something like that. 

Further on - I didnt get the luxury feel in it. It felt a bit light and plastic. Also I agree - the interior feels tiny and you feel like that fish in the can! If you have the doors open it looks much more spacious than when you sit inside. Once closing those huge wings I felt claustrophobic. 

That claustrophobic feeling only reminds me of two cars that I have ever ridden in. One was a brand new first generation Toyota MR2. The other was a friend taking a test drive in a used Lotus Europa.

Never wanted a convertible or targa or at least a sunroof more than those two cars. I could actually take a very long road trip in the back of a 911 and never feel that confined.

i8 in my local dealers showroom this afternoon :

1407178422184image.jpg1407178422231image.jpg

1407178422221image.jpg

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

I had the chance to drive the i8. I have to say, it's a really great car. kiss

First the looks: though some may say it looks odd, when you see it live, it all works. The design elements give it a very futuristic look, it all goes together really well. It may be colour sensitiv though, my test car was silver-black with blue accents and I really liked it. All black with blue may look a bit bland.
    The interior is very nice, high build quality, great electronic displays that really do their job (much better than the electronic crap in the current Ferrari for example), futuristic but absolutely usefully. Seat comfort once you're in is very nice and the rear seats are fine for children, my son liked it, I was only in the driver seat.

The (synthetic) engine noise is quite impressive for a 3-cylinder, it does the job, but the real stunner is the eletric drive. For me it was really impressive to drive such a car without any engine noise and to use the potential of the electric engines. Electric and petrol engines work together in perfect symbiosis, you have the choice of different driving modes like sport, comfort, eco pro and pure electric.

The power which is combined something like 362 hp is fine and really sufficient under most circumstances. Accelerating to 200 kph was no problem at all and due to assistance of the e-engine quite impressive. At higher speed you can feel the loss of power. But for most situations the power of the i8 should be more than enough. Yet the only real criticism I have is the fact, that this car "only" has 362 hp, though it looks as if it had something like 600. blush
    In fact although they share the same e-engine, the i3 has 40 hp more than the i8. So BMW should give the i8 at least the same e-power (171 hp) as in the i3, but it would be best to give it something like 250 electric and 350 petrol horses.

But all in all I have to say I'm really impressed by the BMW i8, for me this really could be the future of the automobile and if we only drive such cars in the future, well, I'm fine with that.
    Comparing the i8 for example with a 991 Carrera which has about the same power, is like comparing a Boeing Dreamliner to a Junkers F13. indecision

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Many thanks Rossi for that balanced review.  Have not yet seen one in the flesh, but in a way I suppose I have since it is virtually unchanged since the concept I saw in Frankfurt in 2011.   And at a time when we get used to advanced looking concepts which are severely diluted when actually built for production (from almost all manufacturers), BMW deserves kudos for keeping the bean counters at bay and producing the i8 faithfully to the concept.  In fact to me the i-cars are the most innovative and interesting cars BMW is doing now.... the others lines all seem on snooze control.... 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I really wanna drive one. I for one like the looks and the idea of a hybrid with decent performance. I think the car is color sensitive, but plenty to choose from I'm sure.

i am contemplating getting one....just checking with BMW Egypt if they are authorized to sell it due to servicing Setup.

only think that makes me have a few doubts on final decision is that there is quite a Chance that the i8 will look totally outdated in 5 years time due to ist current cutting edge design....am somehow always thinking cadillac cartier Edition of the 80's indecision

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

dreamcar:

1407178422221image.jpg

Drove that very car the other week, and came away very impressed - order placed for a delivery Q2 2015 subject to another longer drive - having some back issues at the moment and need to get some more seat time.

The Blue looks great under the lights/in the sunshine but have now seen one in typical British cloudy light and am sticking with the grey with blue accents that I've specced

Rich C (UK):
    dreamcar:

1407178422221image.jpg

Drove that very car the other week, and came away very impressed - order placed for a delivery Q2 2015 subject to another longer drive - having some back issues at the moment and need to get some more seat time.

The Blue looks great under the lights/in the sunshine but have now seen one in typical British cloudy light and am sticking with the grey with blue accents that I've specced

Haven't driven one but was very impressed with the exterior styling - not sure about the interior though, smacks more Citroen than BMW somehow... 

Not overly impressed with BMW, after the forecast delivery for a 335d M Sport Touring went from June, to July, to the dealer admitting he'd cocked up the spec and had to re-order, delivery then mid August and finally yesterday told mid October.....Smiley Lost patience and cancelled the order, now thinking of ways to justify a Boxster GTS 

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(cancelled - due to protracted delivery - back to square one) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

dreamcar:
    Lost patience and cancelled the order, now thinking of ways to justify a Boxster GTS 

do it, you know it is the right thing to do.

it's also fate that made you walk away from BMW ..

sfo:
    dreamcar:
    Lost patience and cancelled the order, now thinking of ways to justify a Boxster GTS 

Strange you say that, the dealer asked me to go in yesterday so he could tell me face to face about yet another delay and this was in his car park :- fate trying to tell me something as white would be my colour choice for a GTS Smiley1407272108569image.jpg

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(cancelled - due to protracted delivery - back to square one) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

dreamcar:
    sfo:
    dreamcar:

Strange you say that, the dealer asked me to go in yesterday so he could tell me face to face about yet another delay and this was in his car park :- fate trying to tell me something as white would be my colour choice for a GTS Smiley

That settles it then Smiley

--

Did you recently check the market prices of that i8. Surprisingly high - didnt know that this is an collectible. 

IMO the i8 is a very praiseworthy effort by BMW from the engineering point of view.

But it is unnecessarilly too ostentatious for its class. It is neither a hypercar nor even a supercar, so why all this flashy design? Travelling daily in this car, as intended,  will make the driver more conspicuous than in a Ferrari Italia or even a 918, which might be ok if this is what someone wants yes

--

"Form follows function"

i8 is a fad, a novelty, it will pass, and depreciation will be absolutely horrendous

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM