Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

This is how Porsche picks up and transports GT3 to the factory in Germany for the engine swap.

Please ignore the "Cup"...this is no Cup car. Nice foil job though.

pickup.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Does anyone know when Porsche is starting to produce GT3s with the new spec engine? If I am to buy one, I do not want one that has had engined swapped, given I have that choice. Thanks. 

As far as I know, the production of new cars moves on (slowly) and all these cars have new engines. They do not produce cars with the old engine right now and swap it later on. No worries here.

If you worry about getting a used car with a swapped engine, well, this is a different story. Maybe you shouldn't get a car manufactured before May 2014.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I was told today by PNA, that they will not start production of the 2015's until ALL 2014's have engine swaps.

To give some point in time when that will start, I have one of the last 2014's to have been produced with the defective engine. The car is at the factory. I was told, all the 2014 GT'3 that are at the factory will be the very last to get engine swaps. I was told to expect that to occur in late September or October and get my car in November. I told them they can keep the car and sell a one year old car to anyone they would like. 

Finally the car going on the lift...,on top of the swap there about 14 different upgrade to be made. I must say that Porsche did a pretty good job to ensure we will all be happy. More to come next week...

Black is black, I've got my baby back! Its epic, keep the faith.

Phil. Could you list the upgrades when they are know to you?

We understand there are software updates for the PDK, Engine ECU, 4WS, a inner guard inner screen to stop damage to the radiator, some new clips and fixtures for when the engine is installed a light for telling you when the engine temp is cold and the sports button now brings the louder sound down 1000 rpm or so. 

We have been told the engine ships with new exhaust and headers. is this the case?

Enjoy her when she is back!

GT3ZZZ Your Blackx2 is a beauty! ENJOY!

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab

GT3ZZZ:
    Black is black, I've got my baby back! Its epic, keep the faith.

Congratulations GT3ZZZ -- that 991 GT3 looks awesome in black! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Brilliant black gt3 beast! Only thing I would change is the seatbelt colors. ;-)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

macca993:

Phil. Could you list the upgrades when they are know to you?

We understand there are software updates for the PDK, Engine ECU, 4WS, a inner guard inner screen to stop damage to the radiator, some new clips and fixtures for when the engine is installed a light for telling you when the engine temp is cold and the sports button now brings the louder sound down 1000 rpm or so. 

We have been told the engine ships with new exhaust and headers. is this the case?

Enjoy her when she is back!

Nice, I didn't knew there would be more updates. That's quite a lot. 

Very interested to hear more about these updates. 

What does it mean: "sports button now brings the louder sound down 1000 rpm"? Do I understand it correctly if it means the valves open up now 1000 rpm lower? (around 3200rpm?) This would be awesome. I am usually risking speeding tickets to hear the exhaust valves open Smiley

Hope it makes even more sound Smiley

--

- HS (Belgium)  -  '14 Porsche 991 GT3 (oct build) - '06 BMW 335I Coupe  

Yes that is what I understand happens from two owner feedbacks. It appears the valve opens around 3200 which is why one owner feels there is more toque lower down. I dont believe peak toruqe has increased but i suspect by opening that valve lower it has a flatter torque curve lower down. You remember the dip in teh chart around 3200-4000 well if what is said is indeed true I would suggest (speculation) that opening the pipes straight through has removed that somewhat and mate the curve more regular. Its a software change only and teh PKF has also been changed to accommodate the adjustment one imagines along with some new thottle mapping. Good news and was probably a tweak which was waiting in the wings.

This was also reported by Apollo on Pistonheads.

Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 1.05.07 PM.png

Nice pictures. 

Macca will go and check but what you mentioned is also something I have been told. Also they will put a longer aluminum vent for the gearbox.

another interesting point about the dealers. So basically they have to buy all parts from Porsche first engine is 40k. They have to pay the client their indemnity and when all cars have received their engine replacement they can get the money back from Porsche. So in a sense this is an incentive for the dealer to accelerate their swap and order,all things quickly. In our case this is about 1M that the dealer has to finance, I new that Porsche was a well managed company with stronge finance people...

On the engine it does not come with a new exhaust.

stay tuned this Saturday the guys are working on my car and friend is taking his car back so will see all the change and new goodies,can't wait

So went this morning and got the splits of upgrade, lots of them. Mostly around software mapping between engine, gearbox, but also about cooling. I could not take the list but looking of lot of small improvement 

It looks like Porsche has now properly finished the development process of the car. Looks like the engineers finally got through to the management while explaining that the car ist not ready yet in March 2013. I think a field test of this dimension was however never part of the planning angry they simply applied the banana maturity process - the product matures at home of the customers.

I am optimistic that they have now sorted out all the difficulties and everyone has their cars on the track the latest by the end of October.

Hope the engine doesn't dissolve now that summer is on the way angry

sondek71:

It looks like Porsche has now properly finished the development process of the car. Looks like the engineers finally got through to the management while explaining that the car ist not ready yet in March 2013. I think a field test of this dimension was however never part of the planning angry they simply applied the banana maturity process - the product matures at home of the customers.

I am optimistic that they have now sorted out all the difficulties and everyone has their cars on the track the latest by the end of October.

Every single Porsche gets various "updates" and improvements all the time. Many owners aren't even aware of it because it happens during scheduled maintenance visits to the dealership and/or during the production cycle. So often, that a car manufactured at the beginning of a model year may be slightly different in setup and various hardware parts than the car manufactured at the end of the model year. Porsche simply has applied some improvements which, without the engine issue, may have never been made public or become public knowledge. Of course Porsche also wanted to provide owners with some improvements as a goodie, this is true but most of them are part of the normal development cycle. 

To make it short: The car was ready to go, Porsche did not sell a prototype to customers or a car which wasn't ready. The engine issue was just bad luck (yes, I have repeated it before and before but you guys seem to believe the press more, so... Smiley). Let's just hope that everything is OK now, the GT3 is a wonderful car.

--

RC:
    sondek71:

Every single Porsche gets various "updates" and improvements all the time. Many owners aren't even aware of it because it happens during scheduled maintenance visits to the dealership and/or during the production cycle. So often, that a car manufactured at the beginning of a model year may be slightly different in setup and various hardware parts than the car manufactured at the end of the model year. Porsche simply has applied some improvements which, without the engine issue, may have never been made public or become public knowledge. Of course Porsche also wanted to provide owners with some improvements as a goodie, this is true but most of them are part of the normal development cycle. 

To make it short: The car was ready to go, Porsche did not sell a prototype to customers or a car which wasn't ready. The engine issue was just bad luck (yes, I have repeated it before and before but you guys seem to believe the press more, so... Smiley). Let's just hope that everything is OK now, the GT3 is a wonderful car.

Indeed. Look at recall statistics for other brands and the GT3 recall will seem like a popcorn fart in comparison. It is nothing else than Porsche being responsible and precocious which media and Internet forums turned around to the negative.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

RC:

--

Nonsense. Luck had nothing to do with. It was a bad connecting rod design which Porsche corrected by redesigning the rod and some of the attending parts.Smiley

nberry:
    Nonsense. Luck had nothing to do with. It was a bad connecting rod design which Porsche corrected by redesigning the rod and some of the attending parts.Smiley

I guess I should you let run the rumor mill and information on Rennteam then in the future and I can save my valuable time for doing more useful stuff. Smiley

You're a lawyer, Nick. You know you should never trust official information. Smiley

I bet you know then about the AWS and PDK stuff too, right?!  Smiley

Sometimes I really wonder why I am here, honestly.

--

RC: Sometimes I really wonder why I am here, honestly.

To answer hard questions like this one: "Do you know for a fact when MY2015 gt3 production will actually start for European and/or Middle East customers at Zuffenhausen???"  June? July? August? September?  

Some folks at Rennlist have been told by PCNA (Porsche Cars North America) that MY2015 gt3 production will NOT START until September 2015 even though other MY2015 991 models will begin production from late May & June of 2014!  Is that September start date just for US MY2015 gt3's or will PAG not build any European or Middle East market MY2015 gt3's until September?

Saludos, Eduardo /Carmel, CA

Eduardo,

In Abu Dhabi, there are 2 allocations for November and 2 allocations for December for 2015 gt3 models.

It looks like it will be very very limited productions...

other model 2015 started from May/June production here in UAE.

RC:
    nberry:

I guess I should you let run the rumor mill and information on Rennteam then in the future and I can save my valuable time for doing more useful stuff. Smiley

You're a lawyer, Nick. You know you should never trust official information. Smiley

Christian, I have no idea as to what you are talking about. Quit posting in riddles. If you have better information about the reason for the stop sale post it. I was told by PCNA that the problem was with the connecting rod design and Porsche redesigned the connecting rod. 

Eduardo, I assume you meant 2015 GT3 production will begin in September 2014. That is what PCNA told me. It will not begin in June 2014 as you predicted.

nberry:
    RC:
    nberry:

Christian, I have no idea as to what you are talking about. Quit posting in riddles. If you have better information about the reason for the stop sale post it. I was told by PCNA that the problem was with the connecting rod design and Porsche redesigned the connecting rod. 

+1 Smiley

RC, it is better to keep quiet if you cannot tell all the details. I think people are getting increasingly frustrated with hints and riddles, which ultimately lead to misunderstandings and misinterpretations.

Not to be taken as criticism, only feedback.

Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

nberry:
    Eduardo, I assume you meant 2015 GT3 production will begin in September 2014. That is what PCNA told me. It will not begin in June 2014 as you predicted.
    Thank you.  Yes, I meant September 2014 as the reported start of MY2015 gt3 production!

Some folks at Rennlist have been told by PCNA (Porsche Cars North America) that MY2015 gt3 production will NOT START until September 2014 even though other MY2015 991 models will begin production from late May & June of 2014!  Is that September start date just for US MY2015 gt3's or will PAG not build any European or Middle East market MY2015 gt3's until September?

As to when MY2015 991 gt3's for European (e.g. German) customers will actually begin production, sorry Nick but the 'fat lady' has not sung yet!  I would like to hear what RC & others in Europe have to say on the subject based on information they have available at this time.  

If we start taking about 'riddles', a very big one would be why MY2015 gt3's are not rolling down the production lines in June 2014 with the rest of MY2015 models!

Saludos,
    Eduardo
    Carmel

One reason the US 2014 GT3 that were on the production line at stop sale per The COO of PNA will not arrive in the US until October or November and PAG decided to get the 2014's done and all engines replaced before 2015's role off the line. Yes I am one who will get his 2014 in October or November and have no plans to hold the car for more than a day and sell it. Live in Chicago due to weather would have to store it for 5 months. 

Here we go, I have book a nice restaurant far away from Genave this weekend

1400650803817image.jpg

bluelines:
    +1 Smiley

RC, it is better to keep quiet if you cannot tell all the details. I think people are getting increasingly frustrated with hints and riddles, which ultimately lead to misunderstandings and misinterpretations.

Not to be taken as criticism, only feedback.

Smiley

Oh, I will keep quiet. Don't worry. Smiley

--

RC:

Oh, I will keep quiet. Don't worry. Smiley

RC, are you getting out of RT ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hi from Milano

My engine ill be here next week. apparently first engine dlivered in Italy

keep you updated. ciao

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755611 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431734 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258899 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79960 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869026 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803144 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM