Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thoughts on this build?

Hi everyone.  I am contemplating getting a Panamera Turbo S and have come up with the following build:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRJRSK4

I am looking for a color combo that makes the Panamera seem like a smaller car than it actually is, thus the black color. Thoughts on Blackk vs. Jet Black?  Thoughts on the tinted rear LEDs?  I don't really like black rims so I think the Turbo IIs are a nice option and contrast nicely with the black car.  

Also, in the configurator it says that if you select Sports Exhaust you can't select black tail pipes and the Sport Exhaust options states the tips are stainless steel.  Yet according to Porsche's page it states the Sports Exhaust makes the tips black on the GTS and Turbo S.  Anyone know for sure?  "The tailpipes of the Panamera GTS and Panamera Turbo S sports exhaust system have a matte black painted finish as standard."  Source:  http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/panamera/panamera-turbo-s/drive/exhaust-system/

Finally, are the options I'm seeing online in the configurator for MY2015 or MY2014?  And if they are for 14, does anyone know what will be different/new for 15?

Configuration below.

Thanks,
    Keith

Description   No.   Colour   Info   Price 

Panamera Turbo S

$180,300

Packages

Premium Package Plus

P48

$4,780

Exterior Color

Black

A1

$0

Interior Color

Leather Interior in Black

AC

$0

Exterior

Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish

XYB

$160

Tinted LED Taillights

XXP

$650

LED Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)

XEY

$1,215

Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass

$1,240

SportDesign Side Skirts

XAR

$1,390

ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Surround View

$1,505

Extended Exterior Package Painted

EPA

$2,890

Performance

Sport Exhaust System

$3,350

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)

$0

Wheels

20" 911 Turbo II Wheels

$0

Interior

Vehicle Key Painted

CPK

$365

Power Sunblind for Rear Side Windows

$490

LED Extended Interior Lighting Package i.c.w. Interior Lighting Package

CEL

$845

Interior Lighting Package

$605

Lane Departure Warning (LDW)

$630

Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package

P80

$0

Seat Ventilation (Front and Rear)

$1,680

Power Sunblind for Rear Compartment

$390

Power Seats (8-way, Rear)

$2,125

Interior Leather

Personalized Loadspace Mat with Leather Edging

CZU

$335

Personalized Floor Mats with Leather Edging

CFX

$645

Inner Door-Sill Guards in Leather

CTG

$2,920

PCM Display Surround in Leather

CUR

$1,900

Sun Visors in Leather

CMB

$740

Rear-View Mirror in Leather

CVW

$675

Steering Column Casing and Instrument Surround in Leather

CWP

$1,295

Air Vent Slats in Leather

CZV

$2,505

Dashboard End Trim in Leather

CDV

$890

Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in Leather

CZW

$1,535

Fixed Luggage Compartment Cover in Leather

CGZ

$845

Seat Console incl. Trim in Leather (i.c.w. Rear Power Seats)

CZP

$3,435

Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front and Rear)

XYW

$285

Interior Carbon Fiber

Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated (i.c.w. Inner Door-Sill Guards in Leather)

CXD

$2,070

Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel in Carbon Fiber

$635

Carbon Fiber Interior Package

$995

Interior Aluminum

Gear Selector in Brushed Aluminum

XYA

$740

Audio and Communications

Voice Control

$595

Porsche Car Connect

7G9

$540

Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System

$4,040

Others

Code for Side Mirror Painted (Lower Trim)

CPM

$0

Preparation Door-Sill Guards, Illuminated

XES

$0

Re: Thoughts on this build?

No thoughts, opinions, etc?  :(. Lol

Not a fan of the Panamera with silver rims (sorry...it seems Americans hate black rims but I love them), they (silver rims) makes the car look too elegant and the silver rims really don't work too well with the darker tail lights/front lights and black window trims. Just my personal opinion. If it is too much black for you, how about a different exterior color like plain white, Rhodium Silver or Agate Grey? If a flashy color is no problem, carmine red (there are some Panamera GTS driving around in this color) looks quite nice too. Always with black rims though. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thanks for the thoughts RC.  What do you think about the grey that is exclusive to the Turbo S?

Also, any other opinions outside of the rims?

PS.  I was VERY close to getting the 991 Turbo S but want to use the car as my daily driver for the next 10 years... am concerned that any 911 will become a bit "tiresome" having the engine so close to my ears in the back (noise), the tires seem to pick up every little rock off the streets and rattle in the wheel wells, etc.  I really love the way the 991 Turbo S looks over the Panamera Turbo S, but think the Panamera may be the more enjoyable car over the long run.  I live in a city with potholes, will be driving 1 hour in the car each day, etc.  I'll never track either car.  The 911 looks better on the outside, but I think the Panamera is more enjoyable on the inside.  Thoughts?

RC:

Not a fan of the Panamera with silver rims (sorry...it seems Americans hate black rims but I love them) ...

In the US, to many people, black wheels sort of say the opposite of sophistication, wealth, luxury... even quality.

The 991 will last the tests of time much better than the Panamera. As for a DD I use mine as a DD and I have no issues. Engine noise isn't an issue on the TTS. I actually prefer it as a DD over my BMW 750 unless I go into Manhattan where the roads are in horrible shape.

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

apias:
    RC:

Not a fan of the Panamera with silver rims (sorry...it seems Americans hate black rims but I love them) ...

In the US, to many people, black wheels sort of say the opposite of sophistication, wealth, luxury... even quality.

I see what you mean.

The-Game-Porsche.jpgThe-Game-Porsche-Panamera.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

That's what I am worried about... I live in Atlanta where the roads are horrible (like Manhattan) and am concerned being in a shorter wheelbase car like the 911 will quickly get "old" in my day to day routine.  Sure on the highway in 7th gear the noise shouldn't be bad and the roads will be smooth but running around town I am a bit concerned.  It's tough because I keep my cars for a long period (10 years) so I need to make the right choice up front, hehe.

reginos:
    apias:
    RC:

I see what you mean.

The-Game-Porsche.jpgThe-Game-Porsche-Panamera.jpg

Is that RC? Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

keithos27:

That's what I am worried about... I live in Atlanta where the roads are horrible (like Manhattan) and am concerned being in a shorter wheelbase car like the 911 will quickly get "old" in my day to day routine.  Sure on the highway in 7th gear the noise shouldn't be bad and the roads will be smooth but running around town I am a bit concerned.  It's tough because I keep my cars for a long period (10 years) so I need to make the right choice up front, hehe.

Ever thought about the upcoming Cayenne facelift (soon to be announced)? I owned a Panamera Turbo S for a year and while I really liked this car, I realized that it had too many downsides and I regretted to taking the Cayenne Turbo S instead. Would have saved me a lot of money.

The 991 Turbo S is not an uncomfortable car but of course it is no Panamera. I think it is very capable as a daily driver, believe it or not but with potholes and longer commutes, the Cayenne would be my favorite.

If you are looking for a car to keep 10 years or so, I actually think a Panamera is the wrong choice. The next generation will make the current one look outdated and bloated. Same effect as first Cayenne generation vs. second Cayenne generation.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I don't really consider myself an SUV kind of guy and don't like the fact the Cayenne doesn't have PDK.  

I know what you mean regarding the next generation Panamera... it'll be amazing and I'm sure the interior will be updated quite a bit to compare with the current S class, etc.  That's why I was also thinking about the upcoming S65 AMG Coupe.  But then I thought that's more of an older gentleman's car (I'm 33)... 

I know the 991 is leaps and bounds more comfortable than prior 911s but this is my first time dealing with the 911 so it's still a bit of a compromise to me (coming from a 2002 e39 M5 that I kept for 12.5 years)...

Ah, it's a difficult decision!  Woe is me, I know... :)

keithos27:

I don't really consider myself an SUV kind of guy and don't like the fact the Cayenne doesn't have PDK.  

I know what you mean regarding the next generation Panamera... it'll be amazing and I'm sure the interior will be updated quite a bit to compare with the current S class, etc.  That's why I was also thinking about the upcoming S65 AMG Coupe.  But then I thought that's more of an older gentleman's car (I'm 33)... 

I know the 991 is leaps and bounds more comfortable than prior 911s but this is my first time dealing with the 911 so it's still a bit of a compromise to me (coming from a 2002 e39 M5 that I kept for 12.5 years)...

Ah, it's a difficult decision!  Woe is me, I know... :)

33? And you want a Panamera? Smiley I was 48 when I got mine and was happy to get rid of it. Just not my type of car and yes, feeling older than I am in it was one of the reasons I returned it (in exchange for the 991 Turbo S). 

How about a test-drive in the 991 Turbo S? Did you already have one? It is an amazing daily driver and not really loud (it has a sound symposer which is closed most of the time if you don't press the Sport or Sport Plus button, so it is pretty quiet inside if you want to). Same goes to comfort, without Sport or Sport Plus, the chassis is quite comfortable. Also you have the advantage of the great angle of slope on the 991 Turbo S due to the active aerodynamics. So if I had to choose a car I drive for a decade, it would be the 991 Turbo S. C'mon...this is a 911 and one of the fastest cars on the planet. Smiley

--

apias:
    RC:

It seems to change though. In the past, I saw many wealthy people wearing gold watches in the US, now I started to see (matte) black watches, something new to me. Also noticed that unlike in the past, the more casual wear (incl. jeans) seems to have caught up with wealthy people in the US too. Have seen this look mostly in Europe in the past, Cote d'Azur, Sardinia, etc.. So maybe the black rim perception will change too. Smiley

--

I know!  I just test drove a 991 Turbo yesterday and maybe it's because I didn't come from a true sports car (e39 M5) that I just wasn't used to some of the driving characteristics (rocks in the wheel wells, loud engine behind my head, etc.).  Obviously it was an amazing car, and more performance than I could really take advantage of most of the time, but from the inside it just didn't seem as good as the Panamera.  From the outside, an entirely different game... 911 hands down. The 991 Turbo S in jet black with black interior and CL wheels... wow!

I think I need to go test drive a 911 again today (Turbo or not) just to see if I'm okay with the car.  

Oh, and my fiancee really wants the Panamera over the 911 since we will be getting married next year, kids in a  few years, etc... that's a big area to consider as well!

You should consider the Macan turbo... Use it as DD, they in a few years get a fun car...

SciFrog:

You should consider the Macan turbo... Use it as DD, they in a few years get a fun car...

He is 33. Smiley Without kids, the Macan doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't drive a SUV without kids. What for?!

@Keithos27: The Panamera isn't a good car for kids (not even with one kid). The luggage room is ridiculous, not really suitable for even the smallest family. I understand why your girl friend wants the Panamera, women love this car (don't have a clue why, my wife loved it too) but WE have to drive it, not "them", so we should stick to our own cravings and needs. 

Another advice: The 991 facelift is due end of this year or sometimes next year. If you really want to keep the car for 10 years, you may want to wait for the facelift. The Turbo/S facelift may arrive a bit later though (12 months later or so).

Maybe you should get a (facelifted) 991 Carrera S (or 4S) and save some money for a family car (when needed).

--

As Whoopsy said in another post, in the USA/CA small SUV are the ultimate DD. With no kids (or if you fly for vacation) the Macan is perfect for that. The Macan turbo is right now the ultimate car in this segment and priced reasonably. Porsche is going to sell them like hotcakes. Even when he gets the baby the Macan is much better than a Panamera for hauling stroller and stuffs. His only limitation is for long trips but since he was looking at a Panamera, the Macan will be more than enough.

K should then buy a fun car since he has no kids. A used Ferrari, lambo or even a GT3. for $200k he can get a lot more than a 991 TTS... And in Atlanta his fun car doesn't need AWD...

SciFrog:

As Whoopsy said in another post, in the USA/CA small SUV are the ultimate DD. With no kids (or if you fly for vacation) the Macan is perfect for that. The Macan turbo is right now the ultimate car in this segment and priced reasonably.

Interesting. In Germany, things are a bit (to say at least) different.

K should then buy a fun car since he has no kids. A used Ferrari, lambo or even a GT3. for $200k he can get a lot more than a 991 TTS... And in Atlanta his fun car doesn't need AWD...

I agree, he could get something used with a more exotic approach but I'm not so sure he really wants that. I rather think he is looking for a daily driver which not only moves him comfortably from A to B but also provides an elevated amount of driving pleasure and emotions.I get it, I would love to drive my 991 Turbo S to work (instead of the Boxster S) but I can't. Not so sure I would enjoy the Macan Turbo as a daily driver, boredom would set in fast (we discussed this). I know that you have a different opinion and I respect that but for a 33 year old guy, I think the Macan would be the wrong choice.

--

Of course we don't have the whole picture, because having only a 991 TTS in your household is just simply impractical. Even going grocery shopping could be a challenge angel. Where do you put the suitcase to go to the airport or pick up grandma? How about that new microwave you need to buy?

SciFrog:

Of course we don't have the whole picture, because having only a 991 TTS in your household is just simply impractical. Even going grocery shopping could be a challenge angel. Where do you put the suitcase to go to the airport or pick up grandma? How about that new microwave you need to buy?

Are you serious? I can fit two large suitcases in the back of my 991 Turbo S (already did it...traveled with my son to Italy) and I could easily fit a microwave in the back. The 991 is an excellent daily driver, this is why you see so many cars over here in German or on vacation in Italy, France, Switzerland, etc. (911 with foreign license plates on vacation or business trips). If you don't have kids, the back of the 991 serves as a pretty large luggage room. Very convenient. Smiley

Without kids, I would have only a 991. Oh well...maybe also a small car for driving to the office.

--

He is 33 and has money to buy these cars?  Of course the 911 TTS is the choice BUT guess what - his girlfriend would prefer the boring 4-door which makes him look un-available.  Here is my surprised face :-0!!!

Run to the Dealership and trade the M5 AND the GF for the 911 TTS, enjoy life and the car for the next 10 years!  That 911 Turbo passenger seat is meant to be a revolving door for hot chicks for at least a decade!  Then think about marriage.  I'm 50 now and finally found the right one - AND I get to keep the Turbo 911.  Think outside the box and the life sentence.  (perhaps RC is starting to get why his wife prefered the PTTS, lol).

PS - The spec is nuts with sprinkles!  Cut the BS expensive options and get her a nice four door Sonata so she can have her family car with a fraction of it and a college education for your first four kids with the rest of that leather and carbon mess. (If you feel so strongly about her that you don't trade her, lol)

I respect nice things too much to stuff two large suitcases in the rear seats of a new $200k car... Duffle bags yes though. I carry cases of wine often and even that is a hassle in sports cars... Strollers are most likely too long to fit anywhere but the rear seats (it fits in a California or 612 trunk FYI). Last time I bought a microwave it the box didn't fit through the door, I had to put the top down... A 991 (and most sport cars) does not work for a one car household...

Anyhow since he said he was going to have a baby, I don't think you can put an infant seat in the back of a 911 and have two adults in the front because the seat needs to be rear facing...

Leawood911:

He is 33 and has money to buy these cars?  Of course the 911 TTS is the choice BUT guess what - his girlfriend would prefer the boring 4-door which makes him look un-available.  Here is my surprised face :-0!!!

Run to the Dealership and trade the M5 AND the GF for the 911 TTS, enjoy life and the car for the next 10 years!  That 911 Turbo passenger seat is meant to be a revolving door for hot chicks for at least a decade!  Then think about marriage.  I'm 50 now and finally found the right one - AND I get to keep the Turbo 911.  Think outside the box and the life sentence.  (perhaps RC is starting to get why his wife prefered the PTTS, lol).

Lol you got a point. But then why buy a 991 TTS? Like I said, buy something really fun...

SciFrog:
    Leawood911:

Lol you got a point. But then why buy a 991 TTS? Like I said, buy something really fun...

Obviously the only way to judge his spec and give him correct advice is to see pictures of his girlfriend.  Sorry for not thinking of this sooner!  What are her specs?Smiley

Leawood911:

(perhaps RC is starting to get why his wife prefered the PTTS, lol).

You shouldn't be always that simple minded (sex...sex...sex... Smiley).

My wife loved the Panamera for a simply reason: One of her friends was driving one. Women usually look more at what other women do (and look alike) than we men imagine. My wife is the type of woman who actually looks after a hot woman, not necessarily a hot guy. I can call myself happy about it because she usually shows me that hot woman too Smiley and asks for my opinion (well...of course there comes the comparison question afterwards..."am I fatter than her" or "is my ass bigger than hers" Smiley) or just wants to show me that woman's purse or jewelry (for a reason of course Smiley). Worried about other women trying "getting" to me if I have an exotic sports car? Not my wife. Her self-confidence would fill the Grand Canyon. Smiley Smiley I am actually very thankful that I can drive anything I want, as long as it isn't something which would provoke the neighbors, our friends or our kid's friends' parents.

Setting all that stereotype thinking aside, women really love the Panamera for whatever reason. You would be surprised how many women smiled at me at stop lights and at fuel stations or parking lots when I was driving my Panamera. At least here in Germany. 

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

As Whoopsy said in another post, in the USA/CA small SUV are the ultimate DD. With no kids (or if you fly for vacation) the Macan is perfect for that. The Macan turbo is right now the ultimate car in this segment and priced reasonably.

Interesting. In Germany, things are a bit (to say at least) different.

You Europeans have a strong bond with estate wagons. Could be because of the high speed highways where the wagons will have the handling advantage. For the rest of the world, the addition stability at high speed offered by the wagons is pointless as the highways are 'low speed'. The higher vantage point from the driver seat however is a big bonus.

--

RC - "You shouldn't be always that simple minded (sex...sex...sex... Smiley)."

Sorry RC - I try to keep it clean most of the time.  Could not resist.  BTW I would rank it as #3 on my list of things on my mind - so that is pretty good for me these days.

Cheers and have an excellent weekend with the family!

RC:
     I rather think he is looking for a daily driver which not only moves him comfortably from A to B but also provides an elevated amount of driving pleasure and emotions.

This.  I want a car that I enjoy looking out from the outside, I enjoy being inside, and enjoy the ride.  I don't "need" all of the crazy performance of a Turbo S, but do appreciate it, the looks, the exclusivity, etc.  The Macan is neat, but isn't as nice inside build quality wise, and will be a dime a dozen soon in Atlanta.  Plus they are sold out for quite some time.  I do like that it has PDK, though.  

I actually was also considering the upcoming Ferrari California T... test drove a California 30 and it was amazing... much more forgiving suspension than the 991 Turbo, the retractable hardtop is neat, and the Ferrari sound.  Plus the Cali T has a beautiful interior and will have CarPlay, which for me is a big plus (I'm a huge Apple fan/user).

SciFrog:

Sorry I should have mentioned that my fiancee has a Lincoln MKZ hybrid so we have the 4 door car covered already when we need the space.  I just think she doesn't want me to rely solely on her car when we need more than 2 people in the car...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM