Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 993 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My new old 993

Nice!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

WC996 very nice 993  tell us more about it

m4ever:

WC996 very nice 993  tell us more about it

+1 Smiley Great looking 993 and it seem to have some extras Smiley Please tell us more.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

1997 993 Carrera 2 6sp Glacier White On Black

Fresh Motor, Rothsport Short Ratio Gearbox/GT3 CUP LSD, RS Uprights, RS Tie Rods, Rothsport RS Hub/Pulley, Rennsport ECU, FDM SSK/GR, PSS9's, RS Clutch/LWF, RS Sway Bars, RSR Droplinks, Corner Balanced, Wevo Engine Mounts, Walrod Bushings, HID's, Fister Stage III Sport Exhaust, 18" Kinesis K28's, Recaro Pole Position Seats, Rothsport Shifter

WC996:
    1997 993 Carrera 2 6sp Glacier White On Black

Fresh Motor, Rothsport Short Ratio Gearbox/GT3 CUP LSD, RS Uprights, RS Tie Rods, Rothsport RS Hub/Pulley, Rennsport ECU, FDM SSK/GR, PSS9's, RS Clutch/LWF, RS Sway Bars, RSR Droplinks, Corner Balanced, Wevo Engine Mounts, Walrod Bushings, HID's, Fister Stage III Sport Exhaust, 18" Kinesis K28's, Recaro Pole Position Seats, Rothsport Shifter

Pretty much standard then Smiley

Nice list Smiley

--

WC996: wow that is tastefully modified 993. Do you track it? How are you satisfied with the Wevo engine mounts?

My 993 is all stock except the exhaust which is a Techart one but I think the Fister Stage III which you have is the best sounding exhaust for the 993. Sooner or later I will install one too (ideally with the black ceramic coating). It makes a very old style 911 sound , very distinctive and pleasant.

Thank you.  There is no doubt all the "go" modifications make for a very compelling package.  The Wevo mounts and Walrod bushings work extremely well with no addition NVH to speak of.  Hands down though the (albeit expensive at $13k USD) regear to custom ratios w/ proper LSD was the most transformational.  It's a different car.  The engine spools so effortlessly now it "feels" like 50hp was added.  The single mass flywheel and RS clutch play a part of course but OMG were my words from first drive after the gearbox upgrade.

1396457058590image.jpg

WC996:

The Wevo mounts and Walrod bushings work extremely well with no addition NVH to speak of.  Hands down though the (albeit expensive at $13k USD) regear to custom ratios w/ proper LSD was the most transformational.  It's a different car.  The engine spools so effortlessly now it "feels" like 50hp was added.  The single mass flywheel and RS clutch play a part of course but OMG were my words from first drive after the gearbox upgrade.

Nice!  I sent my gearbox in my 911 to Hayden in California, the owner of Wevo, and he personally rebuilt it with all of their upgrades, including custom gear ratios, LSD, shifter w/ Gateshift, oil cooler with electric pump, etc.  Best improvement you can make to a normally aspirated air-cooled 911! Smiley

http://www.wevo.com/Products/TransmissionProducts/WevoTransmissionProducts.htm

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

My 993 is now in the midst of a thorough service , those are some of the items that will be replaced aside from the standard service : front/rear rotors and pads, brake lines, front and rear arms, v and polyrib belts, plugs, fuel system hoses check (engine will go out), geometry with corner balancing etc for a total expected of 102 hours of work . Will post more pictures as the work will progress.

1399473209968imagexc.jpeg

What a nice shape, even w/o wheels kiss

What is your mileage?

--

"Form follows function"

Blimey. 100 hours work at OPC in UK would equate to £17,500 in labor costs alone....

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

Reginos: thank you, the 993 has about  158,000 km .

Bridggar:  102 hours is the max estimate (I guess will be 80-85 at the end, I hope). I have a more favourable hourly rate but it is still an expensive job. It is mostly preventive maintenance. I just want to have it perfect . We are taking the engine out to inspect all the hoses and fuel lines as well to check for eventual rust points . Most of the cost is indeed in labour rather than parts (parts are about 3,700 Eur). I have a special bond to this car and it has plenty of emotional value to me.

Great to see you're keeping the toys in such a good shape - and great addition to your garage, 'd love to read more about it!

--

M3 CSL / Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Touring / RS2 Avant / GT3RS Kermit

Bacchus:

Great to see you're keeping the toys in such a good shape - and great addition to your garage, 'd love to read more about it!

Thanks Bacchus. Keeping them in good shape is the other part of the ownership joy (although sometimes it is quite expensive). 

With regards to the new addition: I would name it more appropriately addiction , the 575 is an amazing car. I drove so far few thousand kms and I am really impressed by it.  The engine torque is monumental, . You end up driiving on tiwsty roads only in 3rd and 4th gear (the 2nd gear you don't need at all) and on the highway (though in Germany only) in 5th and 6th gear. It does also handle well for car being 1700 kgs, the steering is very light but also precise (not Porsche precision but very good).  It is also amazingly confortable in normal suspension mode. It is not a sport car but rather a great and enjoyable GT.  

Few photos 

With a friends CGT (fantastic car, together with the GT3 RS my favourite Porsche)

1399643011565photo 4.JPG

Early morning morning drive (very early to avoid traffic, bycicles, cops etc)

unnamed (3).jpg

Brilliant - a car I'd pick any day for one of those long drives into the south of France.  You're so right to enjoy V12 while we still can...

Happy cruising! kiss

--

M3 CSL / Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Touring / RS2 Avant / GT3RS Kermit

m4ever:

1399643011565photo 4.JPG

Early morning morning drive (very early to avoid traffic, bycicles, cops etc)

unnamed (3).jpg

Gorgeous pictures. I can truly imagine how it must feel to drive this V12 Ferrari on an early Sunday morning while everybody else is sleeping. Actually... was sleeping before they heard the exhaust note. Smiley

How difficult was it for you to find a suitable example? I do remember that you searched for a particular color scheme and assume that you wished for an immaculate history as well.

Beautiful pics. You sir have excellent taste. The V12 is simply stunning in that color and can certainly stand up next to your beautiful 993! I love that you are keeping her 100% fit btw kiss A huge part of my past ownership (of older cars) was/is the upkeep and maintenance of it! 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Ferdie & Atzporsche thank you for the kind words. Atzporsche please don't call me sir laugh I am just a petrol head like everyone here (and I am afraid we are a species bound to a possible extinction in the future!).

Ferdie - to your questions: driving the 575 early in the morning (early I mean at 5.30 - 6am) is great because you concentrate so much more on the car, on how it drives and on the emotions it delivers than actually checking what everyone around is doing (which of course you still have to do).  With regards to the buying process:  I did a lot of research before buying one. What everyone is scared from modern classic Ferraris (or young timers in Porsche terminology) are the maintenance costs, and rightly so . However, the maintenance costs are also the result of how correctly or incorrectly the car has been maintained. My target was to find one with the full service documentation since day one. By this I mean service records and all invoices. This would give me enough confidence in buying a properly maintained car rather than a lemon. To be more precise: on the 575 the maintenance is annual or 10,000km and major service is at 30,000 km or 3 years . The timing belts need to be changed every 5 years or 30,000 kms (this is the last V12 with timing belts by the way).  When I bought mine I wanted to have all this correctly respected.  Now my 575 is a 2004 , it has 26,000 km and has been through 9 service inspections since new.   The other search requirement was the color: I am very much into special colors (my 993 and 997 are both paint to sample) and I wanted also the 575 to be so (not in a wild color combo of course!).  This was very difficult because first of all there are not many around : the 575 was made in 2042 units worldwide , out of which around 300 in right hand drive and around 600 went to the US . So the 575 population in europe is rather small. Nevertheless I found mine in Stuttgart (what a coincidence!) in this color that is called Grigio Nuvolari and is "fuori campionario" color which is how the pts is called by Ferrari . The color is not a Ferrari color but rather a Maserati color which makes it quite special . It makes it very elegant and subtle. I had also another requirement which was the manual transmission but of those only 242 were made and it was really impossible to find a  nice/special one.  The car is a joy to drive : the engine , the sound and also the amazing handling (for such a big car that weights 1700 kg). I am often asked how does it compare to the Porsche and my answer is it does not compare, it is just different. I love both. I have been driving now for few weeks the 575 and I start to miss driving my 911.

If any question please ask will be glad to answer, regards

A pic for the thread, 993 keeping the modern cars honest down 1.5mile runway, quite satisfying outdragging all the PDK cars whilst changing gear, my pal in his 991 turbo S said it was hilarious every time I changed gear he thought he was catching up but then the next wave of Mezger magic kicked in kiss

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:

A pic for the thread, 993 keeping the modern cars honest down 1.5mile runway, quite satisfying outdragging all the PDK cars whilst changing gear, my pal in his 991 turbo S said it was hilarious every time I changed gear he thought he was catching up but then the next wave of Mezger magic kicked in kiss

Gorgeous! Smiley I guess it has a slightly modified Metzger under the lid?

--

Damn i want the 992 to get those hips back, coupled with that front spoiler lip folding up and a massive wing. The 991 is sometimes almost feminine compared to the 993. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

Damn i want the 992 to get those hips back, coupled with that front spoiler lip folding up and a massive wing. The 991 is sometimes almost feminine compared to the 993. 

It is not just the looks, I was stepping out of the 993 (having gunned it full acceleration to 200mph) straight into driving my pal's 991 turbo S and doing the same. The 991 felt like a Bently in terms of smoothness and lack of NVH and driving it up to 190mph was not really that much fun, just sit there point and press the throttle and the brakes OMG they were incredible especially compared to the 993 which I remember back in the day were the best around but in comparison they felt 50% as strong as these new 991 Ceramic stoppers Smiley

All in all the 993 was off the scale more fun to do this sort of thing although its handling round corners feels from a different era compared to the slick 991 turbo S, this things steering is incredible..... 

No need to ask who won this battle Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

3.9 GT2?  Wow.

Where did you have her done?

I see aerodynamic side mirrors.  I assume you have a long list of mods (including and supporting the 3.9)

I hope you enjoy very well what you have put together there.  I sounds fantastic!

TB993TT: what a special 993 you have there!  How does it compare to your GT2?

davew (cincy):

3.9 GT2?  Wow.

Where did you have her done?

I see aerodynamic side mirrors.  I assume you have a long list of mods (including and supporting the 3.9)

I hope you enjoy very well what you have put together there.  I sounds fantastic!

Sorry my signature is a little misleading, the 3.9 is the 997 GT2, the 993 is a very modified turbo which I have owned since it was 6 months old, with a 3.8 litre special RS Tuning engine featuring Secan intercooler, Evo cams and head preparation, K24/26, full Motronic boost control and gives 550hp from 5000 to 6000rpm and over 570hp from 6000 to 7000rpm with peak power achieved at 1 bar boost.The car has a lot of lightweight features including carbon doors and hood, it has rain gutter and sunroof delete, full Weissach turbo S suspension with PSS9s and is in like new condition although I guess trips to the airfield will not help in this regard.

There have been a few articles on it, one is below, they say 0-300kph in 38.9s which is a typo it should be 28.9s

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=105&i=21254

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

Thanks for clarifying!  Plenty of reasons for my mistake of course, but still (coincidentally) pretty funny!

Are you saying then that your 3.8 TT is outrunning 991 TTS PDK???  Shocking!

m4ever:

TB993TT: what a special 993 you have there!  How does it compare to your GT2?

Well I fitted new PS2 N3 Michelin tyres for this airfield event since the old Bridgestone rubber was 5 years old, what a difference this made, the more modern rubber made a significant difference in all areas.

Compared to the 7GT2 the gearbox is much faster to use, fast enough to beat all the PDK stuff whereas the 7GT2 is much more mechanical and I cannot shift it as fast. The 993 has 4WD so the steering is pretty heavy and nothing like the sharpness of the 7GT2 which steers like a 7GT3RS having said that I used to run the 993 with the front drive shaft off and in 2WD only and the steering was just as nice as the 7 unfortunately the chassis could not effectively deploy the torque without the 4WD and it was too dangerous on the roads. 

The 993 is quite loud in comparison but not too bad, I used it as a daily driver for many years like this but the newer cars get progressively quieter even tho the 7GT2 has solid bushings and big exhaust it is still inherently smoother. I remember back in the day thinking the brakes on the 993 were immense but compared to modern Ceramics they feel pretty puny although they stopped me from 200mph in only a few hundred metres every time with no drama other than the ABS warning light coming on each time like it was shouting WTF are you doing to the brakes Smiley, it went off when the car was restarted so I guess no harm done.

The 993 is very easy to launch fast with this engine and box whereas the 7GT2 is not so easy because it has too much torque really and it is hard to modulate the throttle (on the 7) to deploy 900+NM through rear wheels only, I am putting in a special Guard LSD which I am hoping will help in this regard (the 993 runs a special Drexler 40/60 LSD) since the standard one does little to assist as they run very low pre-load.

One surprise was how stable the 993 was at 200mph, this is the first time I have been this fast with this set up of front spoiler, rear GT2 wing, low drag non sunroof gutterless body and it tracked beautifully straight. In the past wearing standard or 993 turbo S bodywork it wandered quite badly at very high speed. The 997GT2 on the other hand (wearing GT2RS front spoiler and special rear wing gurney) is as stable as one would expect tracking dead straight all the way up to 210mph on this airstrip.

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

davew (cincy):

Thanks for clarifying!  Plenty of reasons for my mistake of course, but still (coincidentally) pretty funny!

Are you saying then that your 3.8 TT is outrunning 991 TTS PDK???  Shocking!

A properly launched 991 turbo S setting off at the exact same time would of course have the edge up to around 100mph but in reality I started a fraction earlier and the 991 turbo S could not pass. Over 100mph the turbo S starts losing ground, my pal driving said it was quite amusing as when I got "the drop" on him and started a fraction before him he followed me (side by side) and every time I changed gear he thought for a fraction of a second "I will take him" and then the next wave of power in the 993 came in as the clutch was released and the 993 pulled ahead againSmiley

BTW a McLaren MP4 driver was totally shocked when the 993 out dragged him right from the start and continued to all the way round the track (OK he caught up a little on the one big bend onto the 2 mile straight) and went on to be 4 or 5mph faster at the timing beams, I know the guy from past encounters and he took it in good spirits but it was definitely not what he expected.....

Over 200kph the 991 Turbo S falls behind, as I allude to in the 991 turbo S thread they seem to lose their 560PS when the loading gets very high at big speeds.

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

Fantastic stuff, sir!  Fantastic!

Thanks for sharing.  Your writing style is a real pleasure too.

Do you have high res pics of your MB 993 TT?  I must confess it is a real fantasy car for me...

edit: oops, maybe not Midnight Blue...?

Thanks for the info man! Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691145 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410231 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256266 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235425 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858865 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775177 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM