Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Cayman GT4...

I like it as a car,  but no, I would not consider it . I find it too small and it does not suit me . I am rather tall + I like a car that looks a bit more '' ruff'' . Also, it will deliver less then a GT3 , so I would not want to get the lesser performance car .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

On tracks without long straights the GT4 (as described in the press) might be as fast as the GT3. On the NBR the Cayman will have no chance.

--

"Form follows function"

Gnil:
    RC:

All I can say is that there will be a more powerful Cayman model and no, not just the facelift. angry

With the pics of camouflaged '' more powerful Cayman  model,  and no , not just the facelift  '' all over the net, I must say  RC, that your statement  is not Smiley type of information Smiley

So a wing on a camouflaged Cayman indicates a more powerful version? Smiley

For all I know, this could be a GT package or some sort. Smiley

If you want facts and numbers, this is the wrong place. You should ask your dealer. Oh wait... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

If you want facts and numbers, this is the wrong place. You should ask your dealer. Oh wait... Smiley

A couple of years ago my dealer didn't have a clue what the 981 Boxster was going to look like - until I showed him scoop photos that had been posted on Rennteam.....Smiley

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

dreamcar:
    RC:

A couple of years ago my dealer didn't have a clue what the 981 Boxster was going to look like - until I showed him scoop photos that had been posted on Rennteam.....Smiley

Haha! Smiley I had to do the same with the 981 GTS... "look what is coming to your showroom soon" Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

RC:
    Gnil:
    RC:

All I can say is that there will be a more powerful Cayman model and no, not just the facelift. angry

With the pics of camouflaged '' more powerful Cayman  model,  and no , not just the facelift  '' all over the net, I must say  RC, that your statement  is not Smiley type of information Smiley

There is more then the wing on these mules . Wing + front spoiler + brakes . 

Il could just be a GT package ...... but that would be mocking the customers , if the engine would not be part of it .

Please feel free to give numbers . Oh wait ...Smiley   Smiley Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Please feel free to give numbers . Oh wait ...Smiley   Smiley Smiley

The numbers would put it right in-between the 991 Carrera S and 981 Cayman S:

• HP <400 (my guess 360-380)
    • N-Ring time >7.40 (my guess 7.48-7.50)
    • 0-100km/h >4.0 seconds (my guess 4.3-4.5)
    • Priced closer to a Carrera S than a Cayman S

If Porsche delivers anything "more performant" then they have changed their strategy and I will be positively surprised Smiley

--

Those mules seem like a proper GT3 car with a development wing

My idea of a good price : GT3 / Carrera S x Cayman S = 85k euro in Germany

bluelines:

If Porsche delivers anything "more performant" then they have changed their strategy and I will be positively surprised Smiley

That is indeed the claim.  I'm expecting (hoping for) a real GT-developed car - not just a Cayman with a Carrera S motor.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    bluelines:

That is indeed the claim.  I'm expecting (hoping for) a real GT-developed car - not just a Cayman with a Carrera S motor.

That would be fantastic, a true a trend breaker. Given the last 10 years of niching their products with mathematical precision I have almost given up the hope of Porsche launching such a car...

--

Based on looking at the current Porsche line-up and trying to get my head around their process, this is my speculation on what the GT4 might end up as...

- 375hp: It's 100hp over the base Cayman, 100hp less than the 991 GT3, and 35 hp over the GTS... Ideally I'd like a horsepower number of three digits, where the first one is a 4, but I doubt it's in the cards.

- 375hp with a more aggressive launch control and maybe an ECU tweak or two would likely get the GT4 from 0-60 in 4.1-4.3 seconds which would put it in the neighborhood of the 991S which comes in at 3.9 - 4.3 depending on transmission. 

- The 991 GT3 is about 32% more expensive than a C2S. If a Cayman GT4 is the same % over the Cayman S that gives it a starting price of about 85k USD. If the 32% premium is put on top of the GTS starting price, we get 99k USD. Given the GTS includes some of the drivers' options in its base price of 75k USD I'm guessing the GT4 would start somewhere between the upper-80k and mid-90k range if Porsche deliver on what the car could be. 

I've said this a few other places as well, but if the GT4 is a true Porsche engineering project, it could be amazingly good. If it turns out to be a marketing exercise with a big spoiler, some plastic bits, and little substance, I'll be at the front of the line crying foul and asking for my deposit back!

Again, all of this is my speculation, nothing more!

-nh4.

...I think, if they just put the power a bit higher than the GTS, ie. to 360 hp, add some bigger brakes, this new aerokit, some alcantara here and there and a front axle lifting option or everything included in a clup sport (CS) option, a lot of grown up boys (incl. myself) would get watery eyes....I would even consider the new outstanding remarkable once in a lifetime must have Martini sticker kit...Smiley ...

RC:
    Gnil:
    RC:

Now that would be an interesting twist to this rumor: a GT package.  That kind of sounds like the powerkit (X51) and aerokit cup (XAA) package combined into one that is now available on the 991S.

Smiley

Leave it to RC.  Smiley Smiley  Smiley

And the plot thickens.  Smiley

d997h:

....I would even consider the new outstanding remarkable once in a lifetime must have Martini sticker kit...Smiley ...

That would be the kind of war paint on this non-existing future car I might consider paying extra for.  Smiley

d997h:

I would even consider the new outstanding remarkable once in a lifetime must have Martini sticker kit...Smiley ...

I like your thinking Smiley

Although... it sounds like we will all drive Martini plastered Porsches Smiley

--

The most remarkable "addition" is the middle cooler with the outlet on top with the "GT-style" front spoiler lip.

According to my aerodynamic mind, this massively generates downforces compared to the GTS so that the downforce of the rear wing is matched.

The costs for such a change are probably too much for "just a GT package for the S/GTS".

If they put a different engine in it, it probably is the 3.8 litre of the Carrera S. "Just another" 3.4 litre would not make any sense. Probably they will "de-tune" the car so that it will not have the full 400hp like the Carrera S. I think the guess of 375hp could be quite good.

The question still is: Is it a "Cayman with Carrera engine and bad looks" or is it a "Bad Cayman GT" aka GT3 style suspension setup? :)

hzoenvy33:

The question still is: Is it a "Cayman with Carrera engine and bad looks" or is it a "Bad Cayman GT" aka GT3 style suspension setup? :)

No matter what it ends up being, it will be a Cayman Smiley

--

bluelines:
    hzoenvy33:

Not sure I understand that stigma.  Do you say that because of its lower status relative to the 911 or some other reason?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

hzoenvy33:

Just another" 3.4 litre would not make any sense

I think perfect engine would be 3.4 9000rpn 385 hp tuned the same way as GT3 engine

Anything else is just a parts bin special

lor:
    hzoenvy33:

I think perfect engine would be 3.4 9000rpn 385 hp tuned the same way as GT3 engine

I like your thinking and my favorite rumor suggested something very similar, but 3.6L and 400hp Smiley

--

Grant:
    bluelines:
    hzoenvy33:

Not sure I understand that stigma.  Do you say that because of its lower status relative to the 911 or some other reason?

Why the half-full glass? Smiley I did not write bad, the OP did.

What I did mean was: I still suspect it will be neatly slotted in below the Carrera by the marketing folks. Engineered with mathematical precision to be very close, but just not, more performant than the 991 S. This should not be interpreted as bad, just as "not as good as it could be". If it against all Porsche model reasoning will be above and beyond the Carrera S, then it will also cost an arm and a leg.

They have to come up with something very smart to be able to keep the 911 premium versus a Cayman if the latter is more performant. Exclusive, limited and pricey is the lazy solution and not the one I like.

--

Grant:
    lor:
    hzoenvy33:

I like your thinking and my favorite rumor suggested something very similar, but 3.6L and 400hp Smiley

Neither of you is right. Think existing and upgraded engine... 3.8l...

KresoF1:
    Grant:
    lor:
    hzoenvy33:

Neither of you is right. Think existing and upgraded engine... 3.8l...

3.8l A91 with X51? Which sadly implies a hefty price tag.

--

Who said fair price? Think €100K at least as German base price. Sounds expensive? Yes.

But... 380mm brakes... PDK a la GT3... Suspension a la GT3... 

KresoF1:

Who said fair price? Think €100K at least as German base price. Sounds expensive? Yes.

Not me Smiley

So you will get a Cayman GT3 Carrera and pay exactly for that. I wonder if it will be limited too. 40 cars, special edition Smiley

--

The GT3 PDK gearing is the Key - has anyone seen the speed the current Cayman PDK can hit in second gear (85-90 MPH) w/o 9K redline?  Shorter gears would make even the stock engine a total screamer. 

Leawood911:

The GT3 PDK gearing is the Key - has anyone seen the speed the current Cayman PDK can hit in second gear (85-90 MPH) w/o 9K redline?  Shorter gears would make even the stock engine a total screamer. 

I don't think they can use GT3 gearing (and final drive) when the redline is so much lower on the non-GT3 3.8 motor that Kreso implied would go into this car.  If they just adjusted with a different final drive, at least the ratios would be nice and close.

--

KresoF1:

Any info about whether there will also be a manual gearbox?

--

Porsche Cayman GT4 -- Further Testing At Nurburgring...

(11 June 2014)

"Well, it didn’t take long for the highly anticipated Porsche Cayman GT4 to hit the Nurburgring track at full speed. Spotted on Germany’s public roads for the very first time last month, the upcoming Cayman GT4 is rapidly moving up on the development ladder.

Judging by the license plate, the prototype that left some serious skid marks on the Nordschleife is the same GT4 that made us drool back in May 2014. Not much has changed since then, so we’re looking at the same aerodynamic front bumper, 911 GT3 -like rear wing, and lightweight wheels. There are a few new details though. The red brake calipers mounted on the front discs are slightly larger, signaling that Porsche is still busy in finding the optimum configuration for this track-ready sports car .

Although the Cayman GT4 is still in development, we expect very little modifications to occur in the visual department. Both the bumper and the rear diffuser are pretty much finalized, with only a few nips and tucks to occur here and there. The rear wing, however, needs more adjustments before receiving its final production shape.

Porsche is still mum on the details, but earlier reports suggest the Cayman GT4 will have as much as 400 horsepower at its disposal. The ponies are likely to come from a flat-6 powertrain and travel to the wheels through a PDK dual-clutch transmission. Hopefully, Porsche comes to its senses before the GT4 breaks cover and adds a three-pedal option."

Porsche Cayman GT4 -- Further Testing At Nurburgring -- TopSpeed link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Grant:
    KresoF1:

Any info about whether there will also be a manual gearbox?

AFAIH there will be two gearbox options.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM