Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My Proposed Spec

OK, so after reading all of your input, and doing some more reasearch on the various P forums, I have decided the following:

I'll order a Boxster GTS now and take delivery here in the US as soon as its available. That being said, I've laid out the spec I plan to order, but wanted to hear your comments. I hope you'll take a look and "make your case" for why certain things should be added or deleted or altered.

Thanks! Spec follows:

Boxster GTS  $73,500

Exterior Color  Rhodium Silver Metallic S2 $710      Roadster Top in Black  4V $0

Interior Color  Leather Interior in Black with Alcantara® GW $0

Exterior Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor P13 $690  

Deletion of GTS Model Designation on Side Doors 712 $0

Deletion of Model Designation 498 $0

Performance Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) 220 $1,320

Sport Suspension X73 $0

Manual Transmission 480 $0

Wheels 20" Carrera S Wheels 423 $0

Interior Seat Belts in Guards Red XSX $350

Smoking Package 583 $0

Sport Seats Plus (2-way) P04 $0

Audio and Communications CDR Plus Audio System P27  $1,700

Total Price* $79,265

Re: My Proposed Spec

I would add this to get rid of the unpainted plastic but retain the contrast with rhodium silver 

GTS Black exterior package
    Painted black (high-gloss): air intake at front, front spoiler, lower section of exterior mirror, air intake in rear side section and rear apron

Very nice spec! kiss Does the short shifter still exist as option for the 981? If it does, I would tick the box. To avoid the truck feeling 

What does the GTS get in addition to the S in the US?

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Thanks sfo, but it also includes gloss of the roll bars, which I kind of prefer the native color. But I agree that all the over bits are better painted. That's a good suggestion.

Yeah I installed the sport shifter in my 987S and it was a solid improvement. However, it doesn't appear to be an option in the 981... yet anyway. I haven't seen an aftermarket kit for it either. I suspect the shifter is no different than for the 987 since it is the same gearbox, but I do think that the linkage is different.

Basically the GTS (compared to the S) has PSE, PASM vs X73, 20" Carrera wheels, different front and rear fascia, and a leather and alcantara interior, and black gauges. I may be forgetting some other things...

Then you should be sorted with your options kiss

--

mcdelaug:

Thanks sfo, but it also includes gloss of the roll bars, which I kind of prefer the native color. But I agree that all the over bits are better painted. That's a good suggestion.

the standard rolls bars are nasty and cheap looking plastic IMO, if they are not painted. make sure you see unpainted roll bars before you decide.

GTS Exterior Black package is an absolute steal, price wise as includes so much painted plastic .. if you paid for them separately, cost would probably double! 

sfo:
    mcdelaug:

the standard rolls bars are nasty and cheap looking plastic IMO, if they are not painted. make sure you see unpainted roll bars before you decide.

GTS Exterior Black package is an absolute steal, price wise as includes so much painted plastic .. if you paid for them separately, cost would probably double! 

+1 Smiley

Rolls bars need to be painted or in alu trim. Since the car is Rhodium, it should be painted Rhodium or high gloss black. The standard plastic looks very, very cheap. On a Rhodium car, the GTS exterior black pack is almost a mandatory option IMHO. Gives the car a truly great contrast.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

The exterior black option should become available for all Porsches. The trend towards a lot of raw plastic on all models is very ugly and cheap.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The exterior black option should become available for all Porsches. The trend towards a lot of raw plastic on all models is very ugly and cheap.

It actually is available. At least on 981 and 991 you can get exterior package painted (or seperate parts) and it doesn't need to be the exterior color. You can also choose a contrasting color. Not many (sales) people know that though....

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    reginos:

It actually is available. At least on 981 and 991 you can get exterior package painted (or seperate parts) and it doesn't need to be the exterior color. You can also choose a contrasting color. Not many (sales) people know that though....

I didn't know that, thank you!

--

"Form follows function"

OK, I'm convinced regarding the GTS exterior black, but I think I'll go back to regular black seat belts (from red) as exterior black seems to move me more to "grayscale" color scheme.

Thanks!

if you wanted some colour in the interior, you could have the center console trim painted .. costs less the red seat belts

I had a few minutes to test drive a 981S today. My primary goal was to compare the 981 suspension choices to my current 987S on 19s. There was no X73 available at my local dealer, but he had a PASM equipped car on 20s. In sport mode, it was actually a little more supple than my current car. There seems to be lot more sound deadening material in the new car, as a lot of the engine noise and tire noise I have become accustomed to has disappeared. I don't mind that too much, but it was a little less involving somehow.

The electronic handbrake is a real disappointment, and the hydraulic steering is going to be missed, although it is not a dealbreaker. However, their opening offer was 3% off MSRP for a July build, so I think that's positive.

OK, I made my deposit today for a July build, September 4 delivery Boxster GTS. Thanks to those of you who gave me feedback. After seeing the Beijing pictures of the CTS exterior black package I knew that was the way to go

Boxster GTS  $73,500

Exterior Color  Rhodium Silver Metallic S2 $710      Roadster Top in Black  4V $0

Interior Color  Leather Interior in Black with Alcantara® GW $0

Exterior Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor P13 $690  

Deletion of GTS Model Designation on Side Doors 712 $0

Deletion of Model Designation 498 $0

Performance Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) 220 $1,320

Sport Suspension X73 $0

Manual Transmission 480 $0

Wheels 20" Carrera S Wheels 423 $0

GTS Exterior Black Package $990

Smoking Package 583 $0

Sport Seats Plus (2-way) P04 $0

Audio and Communications CDR Plus Audio System P27  $1,700

Total Price* $79,905

Great spec! This will be a beautiful car! Congrats kiss

--

Suzy

Congratulations, that is a great drivers spec! kiss Now the waiting......

I got the email today - my Boxster GTS arrived at the dealer. I'll probably take  delivery Saturday as I have too much to do this week. I did sneak by to see it before it was prepped. Thanks to all of you for helping me with options - the GTS Exterior Black was a good choice. I'll take some more photos this weekend.IMG_20140728_134956.jpg

I can see already that it looks very nice. The shiny black bits in contrast with the silver kiss

Enjoy you car in good health!

--

"Form follows function"

Gorgeous!!! kiss Keep 'em pics coming.

--

Enjoy her in good health.

I have a 981 Cayman 2.7 Base model in rhodium silver, and even the base model sounds and feels very sporty. I just love the feel of the car and pure engine/intake sound.

I wish my base cayman was GTS, too since it checks all the right boxes. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

mcdelaug:

the GTS Exterior Black was a good choice.

SmileySmiley

Looking forward to more pics.

X73 is notably lower:IMG_20140728_140314.jpg

It looks much better without the shipping wrap. I had to work so my wife snapped a few photos for me. 

DSC_0136.JPG

The 991 turbo LED side markers fit with the overall color scheme far better than the standard spec USDOT amber.

DSC_0139.JPG.

I'll post some more photos later, but wanted to mention a few things I've already noticed.

So many details of this car have been well thought out. It all starts with ignition. I was expecting it to be similar to my 987: the starter turning over, then idling at 800rpm or so. But Porsche has it quickly "bark" to about 2000rpm before it settles at idle. This kind of thing is why I can never own a hybrid.

The X73 on 20s is perfect for me. The car is extremely precise, with no detectable body roll or delay when moving quickly left or right. The suspension does transmit a fair amount of force vertically when going over road imperfections, but the damping is such that this occurs very rapidly, without any perceived oscillation of the car's mass. You feel a series of abruptly transmitted forces to the seatback, not a spongy smoothing of what's happening with the suspension. I like it. I do have to be more careful about clearance, but it is manageable.

The electric handbrake is actually convenient, although counter intuitive, as it seems like I should pull it to set it, not push.

The hill hold feature will be nice for my wife, who gets a little anxious releasing the clutch coming out of parking garages or other inclines.

PDLS has surprised me. It is actually useful, as when moving around a cloverleaf entrance ramp at moderate speed (0.9g laterally) the most intense portion of the beam is where your vision naturally goes, and there is none of the very slight distraction that one notices when one's vision must leave the best illuminated area (as with my previous Boxster).

The basic GTS interior in black leather and alcantara with aluminum trim coordinates perfectly (IMO) with the silver wheels, GTS Exterior Black gloss paint and rhodium silver body. Even the blackened headlamp and taillamp assemblies coordinate with this combo. I owe my rennteamers a big "thank you" for the GTS Exterior Black. I think it really does bring it all together.

It may seem silly, but I am very pleased to finally have black analog gauges with a non-italicized font. The first Porsche I ever rode in was a 944 back in ~1984, and I still remember the gauges' appearance. Its nostalgic, but that simple connection 30 years later just feels "right."

Everything you have heard or read about the exhaust system in this car is absolutely true. My pre-DFI 987 always sounded better to me than the DFI 987.2 cars, but the GTS goes well, well beyond these. Even with PSE off, the induction sound starting around 3800 rpm is addicting. Part of this seems to be that the engine intakes are bilateral, but it is more than that. I understand that the exhaust note is carefully engineered, but it is truly impressive. Then one turns on PSE, and you forget just how good it sounds with it off. The overrun noises are fun, but it is the intense induction and angry, almost harsh disharmonic sound it makes when accelerating that is so engaging.

The 6MT shifter is a little longer than the sport shifter in my 987S, but it feels shorter than the stock 987 shifter. If a sport shifter appears on the market, I'll add it.

Overall, I get it that the Boxster GTS is "only" 330hp/273ft lbs, and that it is still considered an entry level Porsche. I really couldn't care less. I am really thrilled with just how well it turned out after 4 months of waiting (not too long in post GT3 Porsche terms).

I'll post about the few things that might be improved in a couple of weeks, and I'll post a few photos later. Thanks again to all of you for helping this turn out so nicely.

A beautiful car kiss

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

X73 looks so low, especially with the front wheels turned in. 

Would be interested in more impressions of the X73.

oh, we need some interior pics too :)

Beautiful car, congratulations - my ideal Porsche Smiley I've been playing with the Configurator and if you specify the black GTS exterior package you can't have the roll bars in exterior colour - are the roll bars gloss black as well? Smiley Thanks! Smiley

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

One of my favorite Porsches, congrats!

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752850 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430508 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255413 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868107 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801676 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM