Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Meteor Grey confirmed as Seal replacement for 07's

My dealer called me and stated that for the 07's Meteor Grey replaces Seal Grey as the $800 optional colour (this confirms what a few folk on the forum had stated). Seal Grey will be a $3k special colour.

What do the greybies on this forum think about this? What's Meteor on a C4S going to look like?

Re: Meteor Grey confirmed as Seal replacement for 07's

Perhaps my Seal Grey C2 will now Appreciate slightly before Depreciating.....

Quote:
    1st997 said:

That's a good point, you selected wisely.

Question for Eric of Bumperplugs or anyone who knows: as far as Meteor grey -- so Porsche revives a paint color used in years past, do they always use the exact formula or would they 'update' the color's metallic or tint characteristics resulting in a different appearance?

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Question for Eric of Bumperplugs or anyone who knows: as far as Meteor grey -- so Porsche revives a paint color used in years past, do they always use the exact formula or would they 'update' the color's metallic or tint characteristics resulting in a different appearance?

Well this is what Wonderbar on this forum had to say about Meteor:

"For those interested in Meteor grey metallic, I have seen the color chit in the new Turbo sales book. It is slightly lighter than slate grey metallic, and has less blue than seal grey metallic.

When I asked Porsche officials at Geneva if the color were the same as the older meteor grey metallic, they said absolutely not. It is a new color, that has been thoroughly tested. But it is similar to the old color, just as the new Marine Blue metallic (introduced with the Cayenne Turbo S) is similar to the old Iris blue."

Found it and a colour swatch (which I think is Meteor) on page 2 on this thread:
    Meteor Grey Metallic - 997TT area

I really like Seal and it was down as my colour of choice but I think I'm going to change my spec to Meteor with Terracotta. I think that combo would look stunning.

My concern was also whether Meteor would be the same as the old Meteor... it isn't and is infact quite a bit lighter so hopefully a low maintenance color...I hope.

Likely to be Meteor Grey Metallic (?) If so- very sharp, nice sheen ("look past the dirt" ). Looks a little more
    toward Sheffield pewter than the more bluish Seal Grey...oh well, we shall see soon enough.

Looks a bit darker than Seal Grey Metallic and a lot lighter than Basalt Black Metallic. If it had been offered this year, I would have gotten it instead of the Basalt Black that I got.

Jim

this looks more like slate grey IMO. Meteor grey is bit lighter but seems to be darker than seal grey.

Quote:
    1st997 said:

That's it... Appreciation time over, back to depreciating now

Well..I enjoyed the Appreciation..while it lasted.

I think the meteor grey is beautiful, now why would seal grey be so expensive?

So now we have 3 colors that run the price of an Omega Seamaster? Sweet...

I agree. Thought it was slate grey the first time I saw pictures and still do. However, don't know why they would use a more expensive paint on a very early test car.

Quote:
    Uber-porker said:
    I agree. Thought it was slate grey the first time I saw pictures and still do. However, don't know why they would use a more expensive paint on a very early test car.

For them, it doesn't cost much more than any other paint. Paint is paint. I'm sure that production cost for seal or slate is about the same. It's a way of taking more money from your wallet. Period.

Does anyone have pictures of a SLATE GREY car? I have seen only one from CA. Please post. TY

Quote:
    amazon said:
    For them, it doesn't cost much more than any other paint. Paint is paint. I'm sure that production cost for seal or slate is about the same. It's a way of taking more money from your wallet. Period.

You might be unfamiliar with the concept of "economies of scale"...

While there is little question that Porsche is overcharging for "special" or custom colors, I am positive low-volume colors do cost more.
    The very fact that they have to open a specific inventory line costs a lot of money. If the color is used on very few cars, this cost will be spread over a limited number of cars; as a consequence, this color costs more than a more common color.
    Besides, there is only a limited number of colors that Porsche can support at any given time. If you want to order a very specific custom color, you have to wait until Porsche has enough orders to order a batch. This is why some custom colors are only available one week a year, and some are not available although they are actually included in the custom color palette.

Just curious, how does Porsche justify pricing Seal at an even higher premium when it was just a normal upgrade paint for the '06 and prior models? It's the same exact paint, no? i think knowing about this seemingly bogus upcharge would turn me off of seal, even though i like the color.

I'm partial to guards red...

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:

You might be unfamiliar with the concept of "economies of scale"...

While there is little question that Porsche is overcharging for "special" or custom colors, I am positive low-volume colors do cost more.
    The very fact that they have to open a specific inventory line costs a lot of money. If the color is used on very few cars, this cost will be spread over a limited number of cars; as a consequence, this color costs more than a more common color.
    Besides, there is only a limited number of colors that Porsche can support at any given time. If you want to order a very specific custom color, you have to wait until Porsche has enough orders to order a batch. This is why some custom colors are only available one week a year, and some are not available although they are actually included in the custom color palette.

Of course it cost a bit more due to lower demand. But slate as cobalt, silver and the others so-called special colors are not so rare and are produced all year long. The cost for P can't be pushed up by 400%, from 800 to 3,000

It is a matter of demand (or rather, demand forecasts). For instance, Porsche sold more Cobalt cars than Lapis cars, so Cobalt got promoted to Standard Optional, and Lapis demoted to Special.
    Obviously, it is also a chicken-and-egg problem. Since Special colors are overpriced, fewer customers order them. So they cost more to make, and fewer customers order them.

You also have to take into account that some of the Special colors are pretty recent. It costs an insane amount of money to develop a new color, and Porsche has to recoup those R&D costs somehow.
    If Seal Grey was not getting dropped, not enough customers would buy Meteor Grey. As a consequence, Porsche would have had to offer Meteor Grey only as a Special color.

This said, I agree that Special colors do not cost Porsche $2k extra per car. But $1k is a credible guestimate.

At least Porsche gives you the option to pick special colors, with other car makers you have no say.

Slate Grey with Slate Grey wheels. Here you go.

That actually looks not too bad!

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    ... For instance, Porsche sold more Cobalt cars than Lapis cars, so Cobalt got promoted to Standard Optional, and Lapis demoted to Special.

Groom- I hadn't heard that Cobalt blue would move into the Standard Optional metallic group...
    any idea if this is a definite? I'd consider Cobalt for an '07C4S esp if it's $2.2K less than the current price.

(after Zaino app. in my garage) Slate grey is an amazingly complex color
    which varies in appearance from very dark to highly metallic bronze/grey.

Quote:
    jjl said:
    Just curious, how does Porsche justify pricing Seal at an even higher premium when it was just a normal upgrade paint for the '06 and prior models? It's the same exact paint, no? i think knowing about this seemingly bogus upcharge would turn me off of seal, even though i like the color.

Even medium-scale manufacturers like Porsche automate their painting facilities, so the paints are bulk-stored and piped into the paint shop, so the number of paint colors has to be limited to maintain the "flow".

Once you start offering individual colors, or even "old" standard colors which are ordered so infrequently that cars have to be individually painted, then it complicates matters considerably. I doubt that a single batch of paint could be fed through any standard piped system, and whatever spraying equipment is used has to be thoroughly purged and cleaned after each car.

The same applies for every supplier contributing body-color painted parts for that car.

As another poster implied, it's just surprising this option is still offered at all nowadays.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Groom- I hadn't heard that Cobalt blue would move into the Standard Optional metallic group...
    any idea if this is a definite? I'd consider Cobalt for an '07C4S esp if it's $2.2K less than the current price.

I'm not 100% positive about this. I have not had access to the '07 order guide yet. It was mentioned in one of the Meteor Grey threads by someone who had. It does match what I've heard from my contacts, so I believe it.

By the way, Cobalt and Slate are my two favorite colors.

Thank you tkids and Damian for posting those beautiful pictures of slate grey cars.

I just had a look at the TT order guide, and Cobalt is definitely a standard metallic color now.

On the TT, standard metallic colors are free, btw.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409903 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256099 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65726 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858650 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774854 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM