Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

Here are more photos (sorry...this is all I got for now). Click on them for higher resolution.

Foto 26.03.14 15 13 41.jpg

Foto 26.03.14 15 13 26.jpg

Foto 26.03.14 15 11 12.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Lots of people on other forums saying get the smokers pack as it hides ugly hole behind gear shift. $140 option in oz.

Hi All

went yesterday evening at the presentation of the new Porsche Macan in Prague, hereafter my very own qualitative impressions : 

Styling
    It looks good and sporty. The front and 3/4 side view of the front is very similar to
    the Cayenne, the rear is styling wise the innovative part. The proportions on the rear are not as good as the front nevertheless it looks nice.

Interior
    Small in one word. I was not confortable at all sitting in the back. It is ok for short trips or for kids but really not for adults (my S4 Avant has more legroom in the rear - and this says a lot). Trunk is not big either , comparable to the the Audi A4.
    Front sitting position is really great.
    The perceived  fit and finish is very good and well above Audi  , cannot comment about Mercedes. Here you truly feel the premiumness of the car .
    The full leather interior is really nice and special and Porsche seats  are really good.

The one to have, I believe,  is the 400 Hp Turbo, this is the special car where you have advanced dynamics, great performance and  with some degree of practicality . In fact this is the "sport car" for people who can have only 1 car and need to compromise (of course this is an example of target group and not the only one).
    If you are looking for practicality the Cayenne is the much better proposition in my opinion given the limited price difference  between Macan Diesel and Cayenne Diesel; while the difference between Macan Turbo and Cayenne Turbo equally configured is much more significant . IMHO - The Turbo is the best value proposition.

Overall , good car but not  particularly impressed.  

But it will be a great success for Porsche and they will create a new niche in the medium sized sport SUV market and in the process they will steal tons of customers from Audi and Bmw (not sure about Mercedes).
    I am not so sure it will cannibalize the sales of the Cayenne , those are very different products and in this they have been very accurate in designing and positioning the Macan.

Good review, m4ever, thanks.  Cayenne feels and is much more spacious, so if someone wants that space, Macan will not suit.  

To me, the real accurate Macan Turbo comparison is the Cayenne GTS.  About the same price--the Macan is faster but smaller.  Customer has to either compromise performance for space, or vice versa.  My choice would be the GTS...

RC:

Here are more photos (sorry...this is all I got for now). Click on them for higher resolution.

Thanks RC.  Can you confirm which lights they are at the front (i.e. PDLS, PDLS+ or just the base bi-xenons offered in some countries?).

As far as I remember, this is PDLS+ but it is at least PDLS (standard for the Turbo in Germany).

A few impressions:

1. Quality look and feel is very good but I don't know how Porsche managed, it is a tiny tiny bit below Cayenne quality look and feel. I guess there needed to be a difference. It is barely noticeable though but if you look closely, especially regarding plastic quality and haptic look and feel. Overall, very good quality though.

2. The Macan is almost as big as the Cayenne, there isn't much difference. Especially when looking at the car from the side, it actually looks a tiny bit longer than the Cayenne, even if it isn't. Weird. This is no small car but it looks a bit smaller than the Cayenne if you look at it from the front or back.

3. The interior room is quite, how to put it, intimate.  Especially the rear room is much more limited compared to the Cayenne but this is also valid to the front. The front is comfortable but this is not your typical SUV feel. The luggage room is actually OK but if you have two kids (or a wife with a shoe collection ), stay away from this car. The luggage room is too small for a bigger family. A roof box may be a solution for this problem but... 

4. The Macan S Diesel, the Macan S and the Macan Turbo look almost all the same, there isn't much differentiation. This is actually more disappointing than I thought it would be. All three look almost the same, I wish they had added "something" to the Turbo. 

5. The 21 inch wheels look better in reality than on photos but personally I would go with the 20 inch Sport Design wheels and have them painted black. Of course this is a personal preference...no need to agree. The 21 inch wheels look a little bit too large for the Macan in my opinion but again, this is a matter of taste.

I cannot comment on driving the car (yet) since I'm not supposed to have driven it yet.  All I can say: It is rumored to be very sporty (compared to the Cayenne) and I think I can say that this is a SUV which comes very close to what people would define by the brand Porsche. You won't be disappointed. Personally, I would only take the Turbo but the S is at the power limit and acceptable. The S Diesel is a different story, I don't think this car has enough power but I was never a friend of Diesel engines, so... angry A 330 hp Diesel would have suited this car much better in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Wonderbar:

Good review, m4ever, thanks.  Cayenne feels and is much more spacious, so if someone wants that space, Macan will not suit.  

To me, the real accurate Macan Turbo comparison is the Cayenne GTS.  About the same price--the Macan is faster but smaller.  Customer has to either compromise performance for space, or vice versa.  My choice would be the GTS...

This time, I do not agree with you. The Cayenne GTS is no competitor for the Macan Turbo (judging by the performance numbers alone, the Macan Turbo drives circles around the Cayenne GTS). The Macan Turbo is actually a direct competitor for the Cayenne Turbo. The performance, especially from 0-130 kph, is very close. From 0-200 kph, the Macan Turbo outruns the Cayenne GTS by at least 5 seconds. This is huge. Of course the Cayenne facelift is due and the Cayenne GTS gets a 430-440 hp engine but this won't change much regarding performance. 

This is also the reason why I think the Macan Turbo is the bargain here. Amazing performance for relatively little money (for Porsche standards). You don't need full options on the Macan Turbo and a Turbo S will come, it already has the green light as far as I heard. Rumored power: 430-440 hp. This car will hit Cayenne Turbo (current model) performance levels.

--

No problem about disagreeing, RC.  And I understand that Macan Turbo performance is superior to GTS.  i was making a price and space comparison mainly--a 90K MT compared to a 100K GTS.  

I did spend considerable time at the Geneva Show, moving back and forth from a Cayenne to a Macan.  To me the interior space and "experience" was dramatically different between the two.  For everyday use, at least for me being used to my CayenneTTS, I think i would miss the interior space.  i am open to comparing them again once my dealer gets some Macans on the floor.  

And as you and I have noted, i think the interior of the Macan is somehow less appealing and finished.  It can definitely use some more Exclusive options (carbon, leather), which will arrive later this year (with a price increase of course).  

I think that a part of the buying public, don't like large cars, unless they have to have such a car for practical reasons. For those the Macan is ideal, like the X3 or the Q5 compared to their larger siblings.

Personally, I would never need a Cayenne sized car and I've never considered that model. I might buy a diesel Macan as a family car or sell the 911 and buy a Macan Turbo S as an allround all purpose car. To do such a jump the Macan must evolve and mature further, however.

--

"Form follows function"

The more I read the more I get convinced the Macan Turbo is the prefect car for me. Don't care too much about the extra space, close to Cayenne interior quality (I am getting two tone leather and carbon), driving feel more like Panamera than Cayenne, good performance  and much cheaper than the Cayenne Turbo. A winning combo.

SciFrog:

The more I read the more I get convinced the Macan Turbo is the prefect car for me. Don't care too much about the extra space, close to Cayenne interior quality (I am getting two tone leather and carbon), driving feel more like Panamera than Cayenne, good performance  and much cheaper than the Cayenne Turbo. A winning combo.

I could sign this. Smiley

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

I could sign this. Smiley

The Porsche representatives I spoke to praised extensively the Turbo saying that the dynamics and handling of it are really amazing and unique and that the track lap times will be a big and positive surprise (maybe RC can tell us more?)

1396291756789image.jpg1396291755928image.jpgJust discovered this one last weekend parked close to Zurich area. had private plates, not dealer plates. I personally went for an Audi RS Q3 which I'm very happy with.

Rgds

Mike

Do Swiss dealers have special plates? German dealers usually try to use "PZ" for their dealership cars but this is not a fixed rule and they can have any plates on the car. Private Macans aren't supposed to be given to customers yet, there is a delivery embargo in place as far as I know. The fines for dealers who do not respect that are huge. I also doubt that the car documents for "private" cars have already arrived at dealerships, they usually delay the delivery to a couple of days before the embargo ends, so the car cannot be registered. Depends on the country though.

--

Dealer plates have a "U" after the number . They can use them on any car they want , and switch them around as they wish .

This is a regular number plate . It could be that a dealer has registered the car under the Garage name and keeps it with a regular number plate for test drives. They actually often do that , as their "U" allocation is limited and mainly used for short trips on non registered cars.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Dealer plates have a "U" after the number . They can use them on any car they want , and switch them around as they wish .

This is a regular number plate . It could be that a dealer has registered the car under the Garage name and keeps it with a regular number plate for test drives. They actually often do that , as their "U" allocation is limited and mainly used for short trips on non registered cars.

Thanks, interesting. Smiley Makes sense.

--

Just checked, Car is registered by Porsche Schweiz AG in Zug. Probably a dealer's car used for test drives.

rgds

mike

M3ike:

Just checked, Car is registered by Porsche Schweiz AG in Zug. Probably a dealer's car used for test drives.

rgds

mike

Porsche Schweiz AG is Porsche, not a private dealer.

--

Dealer and AG are just a couple of hundred meters away from eachother indecision

BjoernB:

Dealer and AG are just a couple of hundred meters away from eachother indecision

Still not the same. I am only a couple of hundreds of meters away from Deutsche Bank, I wish it would be me. Smiley Smiley

--

If we are nitpicking, Porsche Schweiz AG is AMAG ;-)

Now seriously I also was surprised to see the Macan already in wildlife so I just took the opportunity to take some pics to post them on the Forum.

Rgds

Michel

M3ike:

If we are nitpicking, Porsche Schweiz AG is AMAG ;-)

Now seriously I also was surprised to see the Macan already in wildlife so I just took the opportunity to take some pics to post them on the Forum.

Rgds

Michel

I love nitpicking but Porsche Schweiz AG is not AMAG.

AMAG is part of the Careal Holding AG and was the only official Porsche importer in Switzerland until 2008. After 2008, Porsche started it's own company in Switzerland, the Porsche Schweiz AG and they started to import cars to Switzerland themselves.

Not nitpicking...Porsche Schweiz AG is not AMAG. Smiley

--

But the cars are still sold through AMAG dealers indecision Porsche Schweiz AG only handles the import.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Thanks for enlightening me, I'm always happy to learn something new everyday. As Swiss I'm probably brainwashed by AMAG after so many years, meaning they did a good job as I'm sure many people like me don't realize that Porsche has  taken over from them.

Rgds

Michel

bluelines:

But the cars are still sold through AMAG dealers indecision Porsche Schweiz AG only handles the import.

Not everywhere .

Over here, after 2008 , AMAG had to let go all Porsche distribution and they got independent dealers to buy a Porsche franchise to open garages . 

Porsche at the time did not want their cars to go trough AMAG anymore . I remember it well. It was a big battle .

Maybe it is only in ZH that AMAG was able to keep the distribution .

RC is right , it is Porsche Schweiz AG that has the control.... and they are NOT AMAG , they are linked to Porsche Germany  

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

In Zug it is AMAG. They even sell Bentley in the very same showroom.

I know it was a big battle but I thought Porsche more or less reverted back to AMAG for the distribution.

--

Obviously only in certain places . Porsche did not want that their cars are mixed with VW/Audi/Scoda . So maybe they agreed to let a bit loose to show rooms with '' nice'' cars, like the Bentley you mention .

I knew the manager of AMAG Lausanne ( father of the  current 3rd Sauber F1 driver  ( Simona )  ) and he was explaining me the big battle that AMAG had with Porsche . In Lausanne, they lost it .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Yes, Bentley. Your new favourite brand indecision

Interesting. I don't think I ever saw a Porsche AMAG garage which was mixed with VW, Audi or Skoda.

--

Yesterday I had the change to test drive two Macan models: petrol S and Turbo. Testing conditions were awful: rain and fog in some parts of the road. Each ride was around 60 kms, so enough to get an initial impression. The ride had a portion of highway but most of it was in mountain roads. All Macans has S German plates. I currently drive a 2012 Cayenne Diesel with air suspension.

Macan S petrol: smooth engine, not very strong from low revs (curious, being a turbo), nice and smooth six cylinder sound. Can has the PASM suspension, found it very confortable. The first part of the ride was in highway, and i missed the huge torque from the diesel whilst pulling from other cars. Very nice stability. Average consumption: 16,6 l/100 kms.

Macan Turbo: oh, what a change!. Nothing to do with the S. Engine sound, torque, it had air suspension. pop and cracks from the exhaust on upshifts (like the A45 AMG). Strong mid engine power and interior noise much more noticeable than the S. Worst road conditions than with the S, but the car felt glued to the tarmac. Average consumption: 20,9 l/100 kms at 56 km/h average speed (you get a feeling of the type of road, very twisty). The final part was done in the highway, there we got a consumption of 12,7 l/100 at 129 km/h average speed. Car fell like a rock at 180 km/h under the rain.

Macan S Diesel: didn't drive it, but people who did cmd out positively surprised about the torque and chasis setup.

Regarding the interior, I feels to me that Porsche has positioned it clearly bellow the Cayenne. Materials are top quality, but even the Turbo had leather dash but not in the doors, which were plastic like the base models. Room was OK, but not enough for three people in the rear.

Overall, I liked it... though I was not thrilled. Except for the Turbo! On my way home in my Cayenne, I was so happy. Still I cannot understand how Porsche positioned the Macan S Diesel, the top seller in Europe, so close to the Cayenne. The Cayenne is a superior car in most ways: bigger inside (not so much outside), nicer interior (at least to me) and the 5 clock dial, that to me suggests it is in an upper Porsche league. 

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

I was plan to order the Turbo but on this article they mention a GTS version, could i be true?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114040172670/2015-porsche-macan-gts-spied-undisguised

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803941 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448722 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266322 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90158 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886055 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834255 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM