Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Michael Schumacher in Coma

Sometimes you should not boater around with destiny. And sometimes it is time to to let go! Life extending mechanisms are important but if there is no stabilization and zero hope for mental recovery after long time its part of life to let the body decide itself if we want to resist or not. Sad but that's part of all our life's!

According to doctors it is too soon to know the extent of the patient's possible recovery. No one expects 100% now, but you cannot turn the "machine" off when there is probability of some recovery no matter how small. If and when the patient is proven with brain death, then it is up to the family.

People have the perseverance to live with disabilities. My father had suffered a stroke and lived for 12 years with physical and mental deficits, but I could see that he was enjoying being alive nevertheless.

--

"Form follows function"

2 months now and still in the coma surprise 

We knew he had a very serious prognosis as we discussed at the beginnig of the thread, but time is proving that the worst scenario is taking place surprise

--

surprise

Latest news : he can breath by himself and can listen to some voices ( wife, Jean Todt , Ross Brawn )

This is an improvement , but diagnostic is the long run is still not great .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Latest news : he can breath by himself and can listen to some voices ( wife, Jean Todt , Ross Brawn )

Unfortunately these news has been denied by his manager today Smiley, Sabien Kehm, in response to the news in the Gazzetta that said that he was breathing on his own. The manager says that nothing has changed and they are still trying to wake him up.

It seemed too good to be true, going from the doctors having difficulty waking him up after 2 months in coma to suddently breathing on his own and specially recognising voices (which means conciously reacting to them) would of been a huge huge leap.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:

Unfortunately these news has been denied by his manager today Smiley, Sabien Kehm, in response to the news in the Gazzetta that said that he was breathing on his own. The manager says that nothing has changed and they are still trying to wake him up.

It seemed too good to be true, going from the doctors having difficulty waking him up after 2 months in coma to suddently breathing on his own and specially recognising voices (which means conciously reacting to them) would of been a huge huge leap.

Once again, the news does not look very promising.  

Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:

Smiley  I was happy to have news which gave some hope ......  How can they post such non sense , then !!!   It really is looking bad for the future . 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I know, the situation is bad enough already, why do some reporters have to give us false or unconfirmed news like that? surprise

--

Carlos from Spain:

I know, the situation is bad enough already, why do some reporters have to give us false or unconfirmed news like that? surprise

Don't you know how journalists sometimes work? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Update from BBCi this morning :-

Schumacher condition shows 'encouraging signs'

Michael Schumacher Michael Schumacher has been in a medically induced coma for two and a half months

Injured Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher has been showing "small, encouraging signs" in his fight for recovery, his family says.

"We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up," the relatives said in a statement.

Doctors in France have been working to bring the seven-time champion out of a medically induced coma.

The 45-year-old German suffered a severe head injury in a skiing accident in the French Alps on 29 December.

He has been kept in a coma to help reduce the swelling in his brain

'Hard fight'

On Wednesday, Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm, released a statement on behalf of his family because of "an increasing interest in [his] condition in light of the start of the Formula 1 season".

Continue reading the main story

Medically induced coma

• Can be induced by powerful anaesthetics and is broadly similar to the sedation and artificial ventilation used during surgery
    • Used to shut down many brain functions, lowering blood flow and pressure
    • Taking a patient out of an induced coma is a delicate process, especially after a prolonged period of sedation
    • Doctors and relatives are looking for any signs of returning consciousness and recovery

The family praised the efforts of the French doctors at Grenoble hospital, but also warned that "it was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael."

"We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up. There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient," the statement added.

Investigators probing the accident said Schumacher had been going at the speed of "a very good skier" at the time of his crash in the resort of Meribel.

He had been skiing off-piste when he fell and hit a rock, investigators said.

Experts reconstructed events leading up to the crash after examining Schumacher's skiing equipment and viewing footage filmed on a camera attached to his helmet.

Schumacher retired from racing in 2012 after a 19-year career.

He won two titles with Benetton, in 1994 and 1995, before switching to Ferrari in 1996 and going on to win five straight titles from 2000.

line break

Family statement in full:

"We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up. There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient.

Michael has suffered severe injuries. It is very hard to comprehend for all of us that Michael, who had overcome a lot of precarious situations in the past, has been hurt so terribly in such a banal situation.

It was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael. We are taking this fight on together with the team of doctors, whom we fully trust. The length of the process is not the important part for us.

It is heart-warming to see how much sympathy his family is shown and I can say that the family is extremely grateful for it. However, it should not be forgotten that Michael's family is dealing with an extremely intimate and fragile situation. And I would like to remind all of us that Michael has always actively kept his family out of the public eye and consequently protected their private lives.

We try to channel all the energies we have toward Michael and we firmly believe that this will help him. And we believe that he will also win this fight."

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-schumachers-wifes-10m-bid-save-husband-111803860--f1.html

Schumacher's wife's £10m bid to save husband
    Michael Schumacher's wife is spending £10 million on a fully-equipped medical facility at their Swiss estate, in the hope that her husband can return home.

laugh very sad...

Better news today....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26885624

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Thanks John..Fingers crossed for  his recovery.

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, 2015 Porsche MACAN S (May 2014 Delivery) New York

Any news from him yes

I was thinking the same thing over the weekend ... surprise

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

I was trying to find news updates but the www is filled with garbage with regards to his health. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

I read somewhere he will have to learn to walk and talk again. In other words he will never be the same again. Very sad.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

GT3 pick up?, still waiting.

Worth reading (instead of other reports):

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/06/01/michael-five-months-on/ 

That is pretty depressing.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

throt:

I read somewhere he will have to learn to walk and talk again. In other words he will never be the same again. Very sad.

Unfortutely, given what we have seen so far after all these months, I doubt very much he would ever get to the point of ever walking or speakiing again Smiley

--

Unfortunately after this many months, I cannot help but concur that walking and speaking are not likely to be a part of his future. It would be a miracle that I would love to see, but I cannot harbor any expectations of this occurring.  laugh

The whole situation is just desperately tragic for Michael, his family (who must have been going through continuous agony that one cannot even imagine), his friends, his millions of fans etc ...

While some medical experts and journalists have been speculating about what the possible outcomes might be, the only thing I believe is that Michael is currently still in hospital in a coma and that everyone is just waiting for him to wake up. Beyond that, I don't think anything else is certain.

I just hope he pulls through. The alternative is just too dreadful to contemplate. The 7 time F1 world champion's life will no doubt change but how remains very far from clear.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

one just hopes that his previous physical fitness gives him the strength to recover to a reasonable degree. I suspect any impairment will be an issue for him, but to regain motor and cognitive function is at least a step in the right direction. 

Brain is clearly a complex thing, I know it's hardly a comparison, but Richard Hammond (Top Gear) still has issues with memory and concentration - they are he believes, improving though.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

The problem is that its been 5 months already, while we have barely any first hand information from the family and attending doctors, that evloution along these 5 months months gives us a clue of the extent of the brain injuries and based on that we can compare with similar cases, and it doesn't look good at all (that is probably the reason for all the secrecy from the family), IMHO there is little chance he will be gaining conciousness at all anymore to be able to walk or talk, etc. surprise

--

His family is making a concerted effort to take care of him. For that they are to be commended I think. No matter how or when his story ends, their story will be will be something to respect.

So no fresh news from the RTL TV show  from last night ? 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hot off the press, Michael Schumacher is reported to have emerged from his coma and has left the hospital for further rehabilitation. Fantastic news!!

olli:

Hot off the press, Michael Schumacher is reported to have emerged from his coma and has left the hospital for further rehabilitation. Fantastic news!!

Yes it is good news at face value, and of course everyone wants a good recovery for him  - but the news flash didn't say what condition he is in or what the prognosis is.

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759271 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433588 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259675 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256815 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80529 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870562 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805497 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM