Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8(new model) test mule pics

Too much old language in design.....  if this car would have to run another 10years, then it would be a problem......

KresoF1:

Well... New R8 V10 will be positioned price wise above 991 Turbo and below 991 Turbo S. Price will be very, very good for a sportscar that with 580ps(or more!) will be only marginally slower then Huracan. Standard equipment in R8 V10 will be at 991 Turbo level.

Where would 960 fit actually? According to my P source IF Porsche decide to build 960 it will be positioned above(!!) Huracan price wise. Expect 250K € in Germany as base price for 960.

Heard the same rumor...makes sense. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

I really liked the "evolved" design. I'm sure the interior will be high quality yet with simple design like the new TT.

I have always like the R8 and driven both V8 and V10 on race track. I'm happy that Audi finally decides to continue the model. I don't understand how come someone can find the new design -especially the blue render- boring Smiley Smiley 

It is a proper -daily- super sport car if the renders are close to actual car. Good job Audi Smiley 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Much better looking the the McLarens, the 12C and the 650S. In terms of visual impact, The Ferrari especially the Speciale and the Lamborghini Huracan are beyond compare.

--

"Form follows function"

These renders are all wrong considering forthcoming R8 design.

Have you seen the real pictures, yet?

--

"Form follows function"

I like how the side blades don't go all the way up. Now they can incorporate them in the convertible too...

Eh, I don't get sentimental. I want new, exciting designs.The R8 was new and fresh. These mules, and the Huracan, look neither fresh or exciting. If I wanted an old design, I'd just buy the old car for half the price. If I wanted an Aventador, I'd go buy one, not some half-assed Aventador. I don't want miniature or giant versions of the same car.

Probably the only old design I'd want is a McLaren F1 LM or other super rare cars that I don't see a thousand times.

If the new R8 looks like a facelifted R8, I'm not interested. If it looks like a high-end Audi, I'm not interested. $200K should buy you something unique.

So what do you think of all 911 that basically look the same?

SciFrog:

So what do you think of all 911 that basically look the same?

I think, "God, I wish Porsche would make a mid-engine exotic instead of a mid-engine halo car. I'd love to have Porsche performance in something remotely exciting looking."

991 is a good looking car not a good looking $150K-200K car. I don't mind evolutionary design for a normal car, but I'm sure as hell not paying that kind of money for it. 991 prices are going to plummet on the used market, if they haven't already.

reginos:

I have seen some final design renderings made by quattro Gmbh and I can tell you that new R8 looks like an big evolution of original R8. NOT like revolution.

If you look at mule pics you can see that rendering posted in this thread are all wrong from several points of view.

Few hints:

Exterior-big evolution of current R8, new grill desing, new tail lights design, little bit different(sharper) sideview, more natural flow side blade design.

Interior-mixture of Huracan and new TT.

KresoF1:
    reginos:

I have seen some final design renderings made by quattro Gmbh and I can tell you that new R8 looks like an big evolution of original R8. NOT like revolution.

If you look at mule pics you can see that rendering posted in this thread are all wrong from several points of view.

Few hints:

Exterior-big evolution of current R8, new grill desing, new tail lights design, little bit different(sharper) sideview, more natural flow side blade design.

Thanks Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

KresoF1:
    reginos:

Few hints:

Will new R8 be faster than 991 TTS?

artur777:
    KresoF1:
    reginos:

Few hints:

Probably not, but the R8 will make up for it with a more special feel.  The Porsche 991 TTS does not feel, cabin wise, any different from a more basic 911 Carrera.  

artur777:
    KresoF1:
    reginos:

Few hints:

In straight line? No. On the track? It will match 991TS numbers.

Want a car that is really faster then 991TS? Go for F12 or 650S(which is truly extremly fast both in straight line and on the track).

KresoF1:
    artur777:
    KresoF1:
    reginos:

Few hints:

In straight line? No. On the track? It will match 991TS numbers.

Want a car that is really faster then 991TS? Go for F12 or 650S(which is truly extremly fast both in straight line and on the track).

Interesting to understand if Huracan any faster than 991 TTS?

New Audi R8 supercar nears 2015 launch...

Audi returns to the Nürburgring for performance testing on the second-generation Audi R8, which uses tech from the new Lamborghini Huracán

(14 April 2014)

Development on the second-generation Audi R8 has returned to the Nürburgring ahead of the car's launch in 2015. 

These latest spy pictures show the new supercar, the sister model to the new Lamborghini Huracán, performance testing at the famous circuit. 

This test mule wears less heavy camouflage than previous models, meaning the new car's shape can be seen more clearly. While the new R8 keeps the same basic dimensions as its predecessor, visual upgrades include new front air intakes and a smaller front grille can also be seen, as well as new headlight clusters.

At the rear, the profile of the new R8 appears wider than the current car and sports new exhausts plus a large rear diffuser.

While Audi bosses have confirmed the new R8 will follow the "same general layout" as the Huracan, the Audi car includes wider tracks and a longer wheelbase. Tech carried over from the Huracan includes that car's innovative rear firewall, as well as its central tunnel made from a single carbon fibre moulding, which weighs as little as 50kg.

Following the precedent set by the first R8, the majority of the new car's components will be made from aluminium to save weight. The same structure will also be used for the upcoming R8 e-tron.

A range of carried over V8 and V10 engines will power the new R8, with the latter unit closely related to the 5.2-litre engine found in the Huracan. That engine puts out 602bhp in the Huracan, giving the new Lamborghini a 0-62mph time of 3.2 seconds and a top speed of over 200mph.  Like the new Lamborghini, the R8 will be available in all-wheel drive only and will be offered with a seven-speed dual-clutch auto gearbox.

Audi's technical boss Ulrich Hackengerg has also hinted at better handling for the second-generation supercar, saying: "The suspension layout and geometry is different so we can tune different characteristics."

However, the new R8 could also get the option of smaller-capacity turbocharged engines later in its life cycle. Hackenberg has admitted the R8 "will need a turbocharged engine" at some point, saying "In some countries, you need to reduce the capacity of engines also and we need to find solutions for those markets. So we're looking at smaller engines, yes".

New Audi R8 supercar nears 2015 launch -- Autocar article

2016 Audi R8 V10 spied testing on the Nürburgring...

2016 Audi R8 V10 spied testing on the Nürburgring -- Video link

...turn up the volume! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Had a lot more expectation on R8.... I think they had done a very safe job on the facelift.... which is a bad news for this segment of the cars....  the front lights are just like any other Audi....  not special anymore.... 

The R8 is a halo model for Audi,  so it must resemble the rest of the range in various details. The person who buys a TT should think that it is a junior R8 and also the owner of a A1 must think that the R8 is his/hers car's big brother.

If the R8 looked like a version of the Huracan, this point would have been lost.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The R8 is a halo model for Audi,  so it must resemble the rest of the range in various details. The person who buys a TT should think that it is a junior R8 and also the owner of a A1 must think that the R8 is his/hers car's big brother.

If the R8 looked like a version of the Huracan, this point would have been lost.

If what you said is truth about their design language.... then I would imagine R8 will loose a lot of customer, but they would gain more sales on their regular range cars!!!  SmileySmileySmiley

huangester:
    reginos:

If what you said is truth about their design language.... then I would imagine R8 will loose a lot of customer, but they would gain more sales on their regular range cars!!!  SmileySmileySmiley

Why would they loose a lot of customers? Audi is following that design language for quite a while now and with succes. It's exactly the reason why I like the brand.  R8 is still, after all these years, one of the best looking mid-engined sportscars on the market, so why change much?  It's not like a McLaren or Jaguar that looks dated the day it gets introduced. The R8 has become an iconic design that only needs an evolutionary instead of a revolutionary design.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

huangester:
    reginos:

The type of clientele who have bought the current one will buy the new one.

On one hand someone could argue that the R8 is a supercar but much cheaper to buy than run and more daily usable than the Italians, on the other hand some snub it as an imitation of the originals. This will continue likewise.

Personally I like Audi and the R8 but I like Porsche more.

--

"Form follows function"

To me, the problem is that it looks like they designed a new R8, not a new halo car.

What I mean is that a halo car doesn't need to look like the predecessor. It can look nothing like the previous car and still carry the design language and brand image.  The original R8 was a fresh, new design with only some cues from other Audis and it was very successful. 

There is no reason Audi couldn't have created an equally successful car that looked nothing like the R8, or at least a lot different. In fact, that's what the R8 originally did anyway.

I for one think it won't work out so well for them this time. A new interior is nice and so is better performance, but one of the biggest selling points of the Huracan is already available in the current R8 -- the DCT. Lamborghini owners have to buy a Huracan to get that. Audi owners don't. I see this new R8 as being more like a Gallardo -> LP560. Design is very important and even after just a couple years people were already dying for a new Gallardo even though the 560 was in fact a much better, newer car.

I'll have to wait and see how it works out, but at this point I'm definitely not interested. Plenty of other very high performance cars that looks just as good, if not better. And let's not forget the R8 isn't that cheap anymore either. What's a V10 Plus cost? $170K?

I think a Honda NSX will be better than this and probably cheaper. They just need to make sure it's not under-powered like the old NSX.

Are you really talking about this...

Over two years old NSX hybrid concept? That is a good design for you? OK...

BTW, since you do not like Huracan, forthcoming R8 or AMG GT why are you posting in threads about them? To express your bad opinion about them?

OK, I guess...

noone1:

To me, the problem is that it looks like they designed a new R8, not a new halo car.

What I mean is that a halo car doesn't need to look like the predecessor. It can look nothing like the previous car and still carry the design language and brand image.  The original R8 was a fresh, new design with only some cues from other Audis and it was very successful. 

There is no reason Audi couldn't have created an equally successful car that looked nothing like the R8, or at least a lot different. In fact, that's what the R8 originally did anyway.

I for one think it won't work out so well for them this time. A new interior is nice and so is better performance, but one of the biggest selling points of the Huracan is already available in the current R8 -- the DCT. Lamborghini owners have to buy a Huracan to get that. Audi owners don't. I see this new R8 as being more like a Gallardo -> LP560. Design is very important and even after just a couple years people were already dying for a new Gallardo even though the 560 was in fact a much better, newer car.

I'll have to wait and see how it works out, but at this point I'm definitely not interested. Plenty of other very high performance cars that looks just as good, if not better. And let's not forget the R8 isn't that cheap anymore either. What's a V10 Plus cost? $170K?

I think a Honda NSX will be better than this and probably cheaper. They just need to make sure it's not under-powered like the old NSX.

Don't forget that in VW Group planning there must be room for the new Porsche 960  in terms of design, cost and performance. Therefore, there should be a convenient gap between the new R8 and the Huracan as otherwise the Porsche wouldn't fit.

The R8 is more of a 911 rival (in spite of the different layout) and removed from Lamborghini.

--

"Form follows function"

SuzyF:R8 is still, after all these years, one of the best looking mid-engined sportscars on the market, so why change much? 

I agree.  Unfortunately, it seems the only significant things they changed were for the worse (deletion of the fantastic manual gearbox option and switch from hydraulic to electric steering).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Many customers bought the manual R8 reluctantly , just because the original R-tronic was a terrible automated manual. These buyers will definitely go for the twin clutch S-tronic.

Manual is not a in significant demand anymore for expensive cars and performance cars. Manufacturers know their business and they wouldn't be foolish to abolish something that buyers want badly.

--

"Form follows function"

KresoF1:

Are you really talking about this...

Over two years old NSX hybrid concept? That is a good design for you? OK...

BTW, since you do not like Huracan, forthcoming R8 or AMG GT why are you posting in threads about them? To express your bad opinion about them?

OK, I guess...

Well, I have no idea what it will finally look like, but yes. I think that concept is a more modern looking R8 than the next R8, based on what I've seen so far. And most importantly, it's not been seen a million times for the last 7 years.

R8 has been out for 6-7 years now. Cars get old. R8 is no exception. These are throw away cars, not collectibles. No need to get attached to a design. Out with the old, in with the new. 

reginos:

Manufacturers know their business and they wouldn't be foolish to abolish something that buyers want badly.

There are many GT3 manual buyers who are looking elsewhere, after being abandoned.  After demand is met for the current PDK GT3 cars, I wouldn't be surprised to see some "limited edition" manual models.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

They will be slower in magazine tests and Porsche wouldn't like that, even though potential buyers wouldn't mind, probably.

It is a fact that the hype with lap times etc. promoted by the  media incl. video reviews now, influences many decisions.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM