Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

996AD:

I'm worried the chance of fire will increase in summer especially where I live in August it could reach up to 50 Celsius cheeky

Don't you have a 997? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I'm just worried for Porsche owners. Although I was going to buy 991. But I'll have to wait. 

DJC:
    Dear Mr............

Since our last communication to you, we have continued our direct contact with the engineers at Porsche AG in Germany. They have been working tirelessly to determine the root cause of the issues affecting some 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles. Last evening, we were informed that they were very close to finalizing their analysis. It will take us a few more days to solidify some of the details, and as soon as we have a more definitive resolution, we will call you to share the news. Please expect a phone call from us towards the middle to end of next week.

Please be assured that this issue continues to have the highest levels of priority and visibility throughout the Porsche organization worldwide, and that Porsche is committed to continuing to earn your trust. We are confident that our determination of the reasons for the issue and its solution are now days away.

Thank you for your continued patience as we ensure that you can enjoy the high standards of performance and safety to which your GT3 was designed and engineered. We take your loyalty to Porsche very seriously and we appreciate it.

The email we received

++++++++++

Any offer to compensate the loss of use (replacement car, extended warranty, etc...)?

FWIW, the latest suggestion that has come from a 991 GT3 owner with contacts back at the factory is that Porsche are days away from announcing replacement engines for ALL GT3s... Posted on RL. Surely even those whom have used drilling equipment to bury their heads in the sand must be coming around to the fact that "Houston, we have a problem!"

So much for industry leading engineering and  years of testing sorting out potential problems for customers (just like the 997.2)... It would seem that during the testing phase, they parade the test mules around to stir attention and save development money by allowing customers to beta test once delivered... Great job Porsche! 

I am stunned and disappointed. Not sure what i will do with my car which is sitting in PDI. This car is going to take a huge depreciation hit. 

BTW, if true how can they replace the engine with another engine which has not  been thoroughly tested? 

laughNot good...

--

2011 Porsche 911 [997.2] Carrera 4S (Platinum Silver) {Sold}
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS [970.1] (Basalt Black) {Sold}
    2013 Porsche 911 [991.1] Carrera S (GT Silver)
    2014 Porsche 911 [991.1] GT3 (Agate Grey

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” ― Bob Marley

All rhetoric aside, new engines would be a very comprehensive response and, in this matter anyway, Porsche is acting responsibly.

I think that if there is a run of discounted new 991GT3s at bargain prices, they will be snapped up fast. 

chuckb:

I think that if there is a run of discounted new 991GT3s at bargain prices, they will be snapped up fast. 

Agree but I don't want to be the guy taking the financial hit.Smiley

nberry:

I am stunned and disappointed. Not sure what i will do with my car which is sitting in PDI. This car is going to take a huge depreciation hit. 

BTW, if true how can they replace the engine with another engine which has not  been thoroughly tested? 

IMO the only reasonable response will be, after the fix whatever that ends up being, for Porsche to provide owners with some kind of super-warranty for say 7 yrs; any issue of any type repaired at no cost and no question.  That would somewhat reduce the resale impact of the current engine problem, as well as acknowledge all original orders who have been patiently waiting.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I don't get it  where the hell did you get that they are replacing the engines???

i wish you guys would stop speculating and spreading all this crap!!!!

until I get a phone call from Porsche ,I'm not buying your crap 

If the solution is to replace engines (I have no idea if this will happen), that doesn't sound like a reason for the cars to depreciate to me (as long as the new engines are good performers and reliable).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Found this on Twitter:

1394524999829image.jpg

DJC:

I don't get it  where the hell did you get that they are replacing the engines???

+1 Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

DJC:

That's cool, please don't take my word for it but if rumour has it right, you won't be waiting long for that call... Smiley

If they replace the whole engine, I don't say it will happen (so far however, every bit of information kind of leads into that direction), this solution would actually be the best one in my opinion.

Why? I wouldn't want some dealers opening up my engine and messing around with it. We all know that the quality of mechanics isn't always the best and I wouldn't want anyone to mess around with my brand-new engine, no thanks.

Porsche always has, in the past, exchanged complete engines on newly put on the market cars when there was something wrong. Dealers were never allowed in the beginning to open an engine and start repairs on it. I would be surprised if they would start now.

So if there is a serious problem inside the engine, the engine will very likely be replaced.

I do not think this is a bad thing, on the contrary.

Also, replacing the whole engine doesn't mean that the engineering was bad. One single part can be the cause, it could still has something to do with supplier quality (and I actually still think it does).

So if you get a new engine, be happy about it. I wouldn't want anyone starting opening up the engine on my (almost) new car.

I would however expect Porsche to provide an "appropriate" compensation for the time I couldn't drive my car, even if they gave me a loaner. I am pretty sure that Porsche will do that, no matter if it happens in the form of some sort of gift certificate or free driver ed training offers. I would also expect an apology and I am pretty sure this is going to happen too.

For me, the engine exchange would be the best solution but I understand why some people here are suspicious or angry.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC that makes sense, if I were an owner able to be calm and rational about it.  If I were however still pretty p***ed off about the whole situation, not so sure I could see it that way....

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

RC:

If they replace the whole engine, I don't say it will happen (so far however, every bit of information kind of leads into that direction), this solution would actually be the best one in my opinion.

Why? I wouldn't want some dealers opening up my engine and messing around with it. We all know that the quality of mechanics isn't always the best and I wouldn't want anyone to mess around with my brand-new engine, no thanks.

Porsche always has, in the past, exchanged complete engine on newly put on the market cars when there was something wrong. Dealers were never allowed in the beginning to open an engine and start repairs on it. I would be surprised if they would start now.

So if there is a serious problem inside the engine, the engine will very likely be replaced.

I do not think this is a bad thing, on the contrary.

Also, replacing the whole engine doesn't mean that the engineering was bad. One single part can be the cause, it could still has something to do with supplier quality (and I actually still think it does).

So if you get a new engine, be happy about it. I wouldn't want anyone starting opening up the engine on my (almost) new car.

I would however expect Porsche to provide an "appropriate" compensation for the time I couldn't drive my car, even if they gave me a loaner. I am pretty sure that Porsche will do that, no matter if it happens in the form of some sort of gift certificate or free driver ed training offers. I would also expect an apology and I am pretty sure this is going to happen too.

For me, the engine exchange would be the best solution but I understand why some people here are suspicious or angry.

Agree! Smiley

Very interesting video:

Porsche GT3 active rear steering demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvQh2ue--0g

Dealers open up engines regularly for warranty repairs. When I was in last my dealer had a 1 year old Panamera V8 in pieces on the floor, to diagnose a rattle. I placed my finger in the cylinder lining and felt the bulge which caused the piston to click as it was going up and down... The car needed a new engine because of this, but if it was something they could repair they would have done so.

--

RS60 Spyder, 991 GT3 RS pending... :(

boytronic:

Dealers open up engines regularly for warranty repairs. When I was in last my dealer had a 1 year old Panamera V8 in pieces on the floor, to diagnose a rattle. I placed my finger in the cylinder lining and felt the bulge which caused the piston to click as it was going up and down... The car needed a new engine because of this, but if it was something they could repair they would have done so.

Again...Porsche doesn't let dealers repair engines on newly introduced models, they request the engine and replace it. Even if the engine in the Porsche system would be named a refurbished engine, it is actually a new engine. How could they have a refurbished engine if the car is barely on the market yet?!

Bottom line is: If there is something to be done inside the new GT3 engine, I am pretty sure the whole engine will be exchanged. I wouldn't be alarmed by that.

--

My point wasn't with a replacement of the engine ,but replacing the engine with a different type !

DJC:

My point wasn't with a replacement of the engine ,but replacing the engine with a different type !

Are you serious? This would be impossible for various reasons.

--

I agree 

Whatever the fix I hope you GT3 owners and waiters get it resolved very soon!

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

This will be done in batches.  They can not build all the new engines and just ship them out.  They don't have enough engine builders and you would not want them to use other workers in a pinch for this project.  As they are building the new ones to replace the suspect ones they will be getting the suspect ones back, taking them apart and 'refurbishing' them with the 'corrected' parts. Then these will be the next batch of 'refurbished' engines.  This is how you end up with a refurbished engine in such a new car. Some way or another I doubt all the engines Porsche is removing will simply be trashed entirely.  (maybe a good way to get a cheap refurmished GT3 engine for a 991S?)

EDIT - If this is what they are going to do.  I also believe there are far too many rumors! Smiley

Leawood911:

This will be done in batches.  They can not build all the new engines and just ship them out.  They don't have enough engine builders and you would not want them to use other workers in a pinch for this project.  As they are building the new ones to replace the suspect ones they will be getting the suspect ones back, taking them apart and 'refurbishing' them with the 'corrected' parts. Then these will be the next batch of 'refurbished' engines.  This is how you end up with a refurbished engine in such a new car. Some way or another I doubt all the engines Porsche is removing will simply be trashed entirely.  (maybe a good way to get a cheap refurmished GT3 engine for a 991S?)

EDIT - If this is what they are going to do.  I also believe there are far too many rumors! Smiley

They could build all engines for the already built cars in 2-3 weeks if all parts are available, I think you are thinking a bit too small here. Smiley Right now, there are no refurbished engines available for the 991 GT3, so even if the system would say "refurbished", the engine would be brand-new.

The question is: Are ALL engines affected?!

--

Christian, you need to stop with this Porsche speak. Replacing engines on a new car by a dealer is an unmitigated disaster for Porsche and a buyer like me. The car will not be the same despite all the assurances. 

Also, this new engine hasn't gone through rigorous testing usually required by Porsche policies. Porsche is stuck and now they are taking shortcuts to correct a problem and appease the howling owners. Their only other alternative would have been to cancel the model which they would never do.

With the new untested engine, we will become Porsche's R&D . Sure Porsche will provide a better warranty but they do not know if this engine will perform to Porsche standards. Many of us could face long service times or in six months experience other failures.

Porsche brand has been tarnished and as a buyer my confidence in Porsche has taken a serious hit.

Engines are not tested on cars but on a test bench . The new ones would have had the same as the first ones ( assuming it was just replacing a bad piece ) . 

Changing the whole engine would also be the 'best , most safe' solution to me . I would prefer that then opening the engine .    Just connecting it to the rest of the car is not a problem .

But I feel for you . As a ' waiter' I would also be highly disappointed and worried .  I hope all ends up good for all of you at the end . A warranty of 7 years would be a good pay back from Porsche 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

nberry:

Christian, you need to stop with this Porsche speak. Replacing engines on a new car by a dealer is an unmitigated disaster for Porsche and a buyer like me. The car will not be the same despite all the assurances. 

Also, this new engine hasn't gone through rigorous testing usually required by Porsche policies. Porsche is stuck and now they are taking shortcuts to correct a problem and appease the howling owners.

Nick - I understand your emotion, but I think your analysis is off-base.  Swapping a motor on a 911 is not a big deal and done all the time (even for something minor like a new clutch).  Dealers have LOTS of experience with this - just simple nuts and bolts stuff - nothing becomes worn or at risk in the process.

Also, any newly built engine could easily be subject to the same testing as the original - this is done on engine dyno - why would it be any different than the original test?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759829 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433888 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259781 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256929 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80616 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870794 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805856 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM