Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

A dealer here just told me that they know the cause of the fires, but there are no fix from Germany.  According to him, the high revs caused oil from crankshaft to leak onto the exhaust which causes the fires. 

WAY:

A dealer here just told me that they know the cause of the fires, but there are no fix from Germany.  According to him, the high revs caused oil from crankshaft to leak onto the exhaust which causes the fires. 

If this is true, then the letter that was emailed to GT3 owners and those with cars in production stating "they were very close to finalizing their analysis. It will take us a few more days to solidify some of the details….." would indicate that next week they will say "we know what it is as Way points above, however we have no fix so we will……..????

If that is the call I will get next week not sure how loud my response will be…...

WAY:

Your dealer's statement is a pile of dingo dung.  Oil doesn't 'leak' from a crankshaft due to revs.

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

frayed:
    WAY:

Your dealer's statement is a pile of dingo dung.  Oil doesn't 'leak' from a crankshaft due to revs.

Lol at dingo dung. Wasn't my dealer.  Went to a different dealership with a friend to check out a stocked Turbo. 

Anyway, I assume he meant that the high revs caused the block to leak oil from the crankshaft. 

Hmmm.  Still dingo dung.  But anyway, pulling back to the 10,000 ft view and looking at the situation as distantly as possible, taking in all facts I am starting to lose a bit of faith.  The delay and lack of communication have been deafening.

I don't want an R8 or a Scud or an ungodly M3/4.  Just want my new rig in its promised form.

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

PCNA-991-GT3_Letter-Update.jpg

Boxster Coupe GTS:

PCNA-991-GT3_Letter-Update.jpg

I hope the next letter you get will have green signal lights instead of red!

--

RS60 Spyder, 991 GT3 RS pending... :(

fritz:
    throt:

Hi Guys,

Been given a completion build date today of March 31st, with a pick up from OPC of around Mid April.

Did your dealer comment in any way on these dates possibly being influenced by the current situation?  Smiley

He did state the problem could cause delays. I just think Porsche giving build dates out lock ( in normal circumstances ) the customer further in to the buying process, particularly when the build starts. On other forums there is a lot of talk of customers wanting to get out and get there funds back. So maybe Porsche is pulling every string they can from not being so confident.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

GT3 pick up?, when P find a fix..

http://www.wn.de/Muenster/Technischer-Defekt-Porsche-faengt-waehrend-der-Fahrt-Feuer

Another one, but maybe a 991 base model..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

GT3 pick up?, when P find a fix..

nberry:

FWIW, received an email from PCNA indicated that Porsche is close to a resolution and we will be called next week to let us know the results and what they plan to do about. Based on the phrasing of the email it appears it will not be until the end of next week but could be sooner.

That's encouraging!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

throt:

http://www.wn.de/Muenster/Technischer-Defekt-Porsche-faengt-waehrend-der-Fahrt-Feuer

So there is an issue that affects the entire 991 range. This is the second Carrera to ignite. 

--

Not so sure this is much of an issue...I heard about another 991 ignite because of a burning cigarette entering the engine bay (apparently a truck driver or whoever threw it away and it landed where it shouldn't land...). Of course this shouldn't happen and maybe there should be some sort of protective cover for the engine bay to avoid such situations but we should be careful with assumptions. Just look on how many 991 are on the road...this is not a very small volume car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

boytronic:
    throt:

So there is an issue that affects the entire 991 range. This is the second Carrera to ignite. 

I guess you had window seat in the mathematical statistics class in school SmileySmiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:
    boytronic:
    throt:

I guess you had window seat in the mathematical statistics class in school SmileySmiley

That's what I call a dry sense of humor.  Smiley   

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

I have carefully read the letter a couple of times. Here are my impressions.

1. The writer had to have some knowledge as to the cause and proposed fix of the problem.

2. The fact that he yet again mention that it impacted a few cars seems to imply that is the case. Otherwise he would have avoided that phrase if he was told all cars have been affected.

3. The fact that they will be calling individual owners confirms that the issue involves a limited number of cars. If the issue impacted all cars no call would be necessary. An announcement saying all cars are affected and need to be repaired would suffice.

4. The "solution" he mentions is the sticking point for Porsche. How best to initiate repairs or some other resolution without blow back from affected owners.

boytronic:
    throt:

I am close to 20,000 miles and 2 years on my C2S, with no sparks. I am willing to trade engines with any GT3 owner who can't wait until next week. Smiley

I am going to go out on a limb and say the problem is due to the ugly gold fish headlamp affecting proper cooling airflow,  change it back to normal and the problem will be gone 

--

boytronic:
    throt:

Well, I think if we go strictly by occurrence of fires of unknown origin, we'll very quickly come to the conclusion that there is an issue that affects all cars from all manufacturers.

Yet another Carrera - this time an OPC Demo car after a "short" test drive. According to a police report probably an "engine related problem"....

https://de-de.facebook.com/BlaulichtreportTuttlingenUndUmgebung/posts/649273885109628?stream_ref=10

http://www.nrwz.de/inhalt/region/Teurer-Sportwagen-brennt-nach-kurzer-Probefahrt---00053272.html

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

That's too bad. I hope they fix the problem and make the next 911 better than anytime before, and I believe they will.

Porsche-Jeck:

Yet another Carrera - this time an OPC Demo car after a "short" test drive. According to a police report probably an "engine related problem"....

https://de-de.facebook.com/BlaulichtreportTuttlingenUndUmgebung/posts/649273885109628?stream_ref=10

http://www.nrwz.de/inhalt/region/Teurer-Sportwagen-brennt-nach-kurzer-Probefahrt---00053272.html

Smiley

Still far from statistically significant, but a bit worrying...

--

bluelines:
    Porsche-Jeck:

Smiley

Sooner or later someone could die. Imagine parking up in your garage and going to bed at night with the family at home...

--

boytronic:
    bluelines:
    Porsche-Jeck:

Smiley

Sooner or later someone could die. Imagine parking up in your garage and going to bed at night with the family at home...

Yes, you could also die from being hit by a meteorite or choking on a chewing gum...

As to fires, it is a lot higher risk that your electrical gadgets at home overheat and start a fire. Do you unplug TV, computer, hifi, etc. every night? If not, worry more about that than the engine catching fire.

(I am just trying to put things in perspective. These engine fires are really bad, but insignificant if you look at other risks)

--

bluelines:
    boytronic:
    bluelines:
    Porsche-Jeck:

Smiley

Yes, you could also die from being hit by a meteorite or choking on a chewing gum...

As to fires, it is a lot higher risk that your electrical gadgets at home overheat and start a fire. Do you unplug TV, computer, hifi, etc. every night? If not, worry more about that than the engine catching fire.

(I am just trying to put things in perspective. These engine fires are really bad, but insignificant if you look at other risks)

Point taken :) Though having so many things to worry about as it is, you certainly should not have to worry about your new Porsche going up in flames...

--

Totally agree! indecision It is certainly a worry one does not need.

--

It may be a little premature to declare this engine-gate

U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 152,300 automobile fires per year in 2006-2010. These fires caused an average of 209 civilian deaths, 764 civilian injuries, and $536 million in direct property damage.

Facts and Figures
    • Automobile fires were involved in 10% of reported U.S. fires, 6% of U.S. fire deaths.
    • On average, 17 automobile fires were reported per hour. These fires killed an average of four people every week.
    • Mechanical or electrical failures or malfunctions were factors in roughly two-thirds of the automobile fires.
    • Collisions and overturns were factors in only 4% of highway vehicle fires, but these incidents accounted for three of every five (60%) automobile fire deaths.
    • Only 2% of automobile fires began in fuel tanks or fuel lines, but these incidents caused 15% of the automobile fire deaths.

Source: NFPA's "Automobile Fires in the U.S.: 2006-2010 Estimates" report by Marty Ahrens, September 2012.

-- http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/vehicles

Quite shocking the number!

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

boytronic:
    bluelines:
    Porsche-Jeck:

Smiley

All our cars are parked below the house, so... Smiley

I still think that there is no common cause here and I also would like to point out that both links refer to the same incident.

However, I always watch the car for a minute or so after I park it and turn off the engine but this is something I always do because the garage is right beneath the house. This is valid for all cars I have in the garage and I also have three large fire extinguishers there.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I'm worried the chance of fire will increase in summer especially where I live in August it could reach up to 50 Celsius cheeky

911rox:
    apias:
    911rox:

Feel free to go on record here and tell us how many days you intend on keeping the your car out of warranty if I'm presumptuous and wrong???... Don't forget to report back and let us now how it goes...

I see many people putting on a brave face about this but I doubt this would be the case if their intention was to keep their vehicle long term...

Let you get back to hoping....

You seem to be missing the point: You're running wild with your "analysis" of the problem and its causes without any, you know, actual facts to base such an analysis on.

Maybe it's just me, but I always like to know what the facts are before I analyze what caused the facts to be the facts.

The facts:

- the car was announced a year ago, with deliveries suggested to begin in September...

- it has received numerous fantastic reviews regarding performance- no denying it

- delays began late last year with rumours suggesting amongst other things that one possible cause was rods exiting cranks on one or two test cars- nobody knows and Porsche has given no reasons for delays...

- first deliveries begin to trickle in late November with reasonable volumes pushing through in January 14

-in Feb 14, two cars go up like beefeater barbeques

- 1 week later a stop supply is announced and a week later they want them back... pending investigations

-one year after their announcement, most are sitting at dealerships or garages, not allowed to be driven and people are facing months of delays and uncertainties... Pending owners possibly having waiting times increased several months whilst they sort out the existing mess.

These are the FACTS, not a doomsday theory...My speculation and jumping to conclusions happened 12 months ago on page 7 or 8 of this thread. Whats fanciful is that people actually want it spelt out as to what the problem is before they'll accept there is a problem... 

Performance is obviously critical and the new car has delivered that although it's been done at the expense of reliability and track worthiness. A reasonable person doesn't need to see Porsche's findings on  the root cause of the issue at hand to come to this conclusion, only somebody in denial... I doubt Porsche will even be truthfully forthcoming with the real reasons... enough said...

+1

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688200 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408564 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255483 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234699 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857457 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773151 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM