Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014 model) - Short Review

RC:

As far as I understood, the drive program switches automatically to track mode when pressing the launch control button, no matter what was chosen before.

The timer works on any start even, doesnt need to be launch control,

Lars997:
    RC:

As far as I understood, the drive program switches automatically to track mode when pressing the launch control button, no matter what was chosen before.

The timer works on any start even, doesnt need to be launch control,

I tried...it doesn't work...only works with launch control. Smiley

I am going to be at my dealer today, will ask about it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Congratulations again RC!  kiss

Thanks for the excellent report!

GM Austin:

Congratulations again RC!  kiss

Thanks for the excellent report!

My pleasure and thank you! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

huangester:

Had GrandCherokee back in 2002 and it drives horrible, and no sense of road directions....  Back then it was only thing I can afford, so learned to live with it.... Thinking about going back and drive such vehicle just making my head dizzy....  Perhaps after all these years they had gone better...  I just couldn't imagine how you go from Cayenne to GrandCherokee....  maybe there is really something in it....  got to go test drive one of those.....

The new JGC is not the same as the one you had driven back in 2002.  The current model's platform was co-developed with Mercedes and was the first release of the platform that is now found under the current variant of the Mercedes-Benz ML.  

Fiat and Marchionne are very fortunate that Chrysler, even under the management of Cerberus Capital Management, continued a rush development program to replace the outdated Chrysler Corporation model lineup.  The only cars that Fiat had a direct impact on from beginning to end of the development cycle include the very slow selling Dodge Dart, the very delayed Jeep Cherokee, and the new Chrysler 200.  The Dart was initially sold in configurations that were not popular with the purchasing public including more manual versus automatics, and faced severe price competition with its larger, more powerful, and often less expensive sister car, the Dodge Avenger.  Fiat's solution was to finally drop the Avenger.  

The Jeep Cherokee was delayed for many months to reprogram its drivetrain as it features a ZF nine-speed transmission.  While Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep can be applauded for applying state-of-the-art technology, it is not without massive shortcomings beyond its very bizarre styling.  The transmission, for example, does not engage ninth speed at any legal or near-legal speed in the United States.  When equipped on the four cylinder Tigershark power plant, the transmission needs to downshift from seventh or eighth into fifth for passing on two lane roads, where it encounters an awkward shift pattern with a very noticeable hesitation.  The larger six cylinder engine a bit better, but the inherent design of the transmission does not eliminate the very noticeable, and jarring hesitation on the downshift.

The new Chrysler 200 is too new for comment but it is based on a larger version of the Dart platform which, itself, is a larger version of an Alfa-Romeo platform.  It too features that ZF nine speed transmission.  

New Uconnect Update for non-US markets is available, 14.05.03 8.4 RG4, RJ3, RJ4 - EU

Fixes a footlong list of bugs and annoyances, also adds a few new options.

Best part is: You can do your update yourself, just using an USB stick.

17481740br.jpg

Here is the change log:

· SRT soft button missing for radios when vehicle is equipped with SRT feature (EMEA /LATAM markets only).

· Battery drain due to the radio and cluster back-lighting staying on.

· Postal Code smart speller logic enhancements (EMEA markets only).

· AM/FM steering wheel mode switch button not working (LATAM markets only).

· Navigation Lockout Disable while vehicle is in motion (EMEA markets only).

· Removed network status indicators for SRT/APPS.

· iPod would not resume playing after a VR session or phone call.

· Removed the cell signal indicators in the SRT and Apps button on non-US vehicles.

· rear camera may show a black screen for 3 seconds upon going to reverse.

· Navigation would not start or would lose position.

· Removal of parental control under Apps menu.

· Turn by Turn navigation in the cluster set to ON by default.

· Transfer button does not pick-up and transfer incoming call.

· Voice Recognition (VR) says 'cancel' when starting (App) applications.

· Some Russian letters are caps when they should be lower-case.

· Touch screen locks up in navigation, when Russian is selected.

· Address search availably when the vehicle is moving (EMEA markets only).

· VR messages in Spanish talks to fast.

· Recognition enhancement for Russian VR.

· Hands free audio too low for non-amp vehicle (KL).

· Intermittently “Registration expired” pop-up appears on display screen.

· Arabic language for navigation only, not the keyboard (RJ3 RJ4 radio only).

· Incorrect time to destination, when ignition is cycled.

· Volume adjustment for navigation prompts, for phone call.

· Incorrect rear to center fade displayed at start up.

· Translation enhancements for French German and Spanish.

· Right arrow doesn't work for advancing through preset.

· Map zoom level reduced.

· Park sense audio tone stuck on.

· While in rear media the browser knob is disabled.

· Varies POI not available for navigation.

· Postal code search not working in some markets.

· Horn sounds when locked is missing in the settings menu.

· Mute button out of sync with mute in the hands free phone.

· Enhancements my for hands free phone locking up.

· Enhancements to quick search.

· Backup camera active guide lines are missing.

· Sound horn when locking, missing.

· Erratic Interior ambient lamp menu being displayed.

· Remove auto entry/exit from menu.

· Remove hill start assist from menu, when not available.

· Russian keyboard enhancements.

· Polish text update.

· Black screen intermittently displayed.

· VR teleprompter translations.

· Splash screen not showing after remote unlock.

· Translation enhancement for Spanish, German, French and Russian.

· Russian letters are in caps when they should be in lower case.

· Nav locks up when Russian is selected.

· VR Spanish language talks to fast when giving instructions.

· Arabic language added to some features (RJ3 RJ4 radios only).

· VR enhancements for Russian.

· Route guiding enhancements.

· HVAC display enhancements.

--

Interesting video regarding the HEMI 6.4 l engine in the SRT (this video is about the 2012 engine but the engine hasn't changed much in the 2014 model). Enjoy. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9OPAGL1io

--

Caution with the new Uconnect update (for you, Lars): The SRT Performance App doesn't seem to work anymore, it asks for an active subscription and sends me to the Uconnect Store (which of course can't work since German Uconnect devices don't have a 3G or any other data connection connectivity). Weird. Will talk to dealer tomorrow, this happens if you flash this stuff yourself and others who did the same didn't test the flash properly (I bet that those who updated cannot use the performance app as well).

I will reflash my Uconnect tomorrow, too tired now to do it again (took 20 minutes or so).

--

Update on that Uconnect Update 14.05.03: It is safe to use. After the car stood in the garage over night and after driving around a couple of minutes in the morning, the SRT Performance app worked again. No other issues! Weird but it works.

--

Hi RC - thanks for the hint, I will also update then. In the very first software I used there was no SRT App at all, it came back with 13.51.11. Even there you needed to have the car on and off again for 30 minutes to get the App back.

Es the "comfort setting" feature back in the list - to activate/deactivate the automated seat/steering wheel heating below 4 degrees? I don't have this option anymore since last update. Read I should go to the dealer to make a dealer-reset and then it would come back. yes

I haven't seen this comfort feature in the feature list, sorry. Only manual activation. I will check on it this weekend, maybe I overlooked it.
    The SRT app was there after the update, this wasn't the issue. The issue was that it claimed it wasn't activated and I wasn't able to use it.

Everything works fine now, already have over 750 km with the car, no issues.

--

The comfort feature is kind of quiet annoying - whenever temperature is below 4 degrees the steering wheel boils like an egg cooker! smiley Another friend of mine living in Zurich was after the 13.51. update at the dealer and made the "dealer reset" after that there was one more menu popping up to activate/deactivate the comfort settings.

BTW - I checked yesterday again - any start in any mode let the acceleration count (the one in the cockpit not the SRT App in the Navi).

cheers!

RC - Nice car and a very nice write-up.

bridggar:

..........Be interested to understand how reliable this brute will be though.

The basic reliability should be very good......it is the common platform with the Mercedes ML-Class that was designed when M-B still owned Chrysler.

Drove to Austria yesterday, almost 400 km (have now 1200 km on the car). So far no issues but some smaller annoyances, mostly coming from the Uconnect system and operation. Great touch display and the sound from the Harman Kardon system is really amazing, even the navigation system seems to be working great BUT there are a few little things which need to be adressed by Chrysler.

Examples: There are no individual audio settings for each audio source, the navigation lacks the possibility to choose routes (fast route, short route, mainly highway and so on) and although it shows traffic jams in a seperate menue, it doesn't seem to show them on the map. Also, it is quite challenging to find the right setting for a pleasant interior temperature (it is either too cold or too warm) and the rear passenger don't have an individual temp control. 

There are a few inconsistencies in the car's functionality and design I do not understand. As if some engineers tried very hard and others couldn't care less. I have encountered this with other car brands too, incl. Porsche but not at the level the GC SRT is at. Weird. Did they hit a certain budget and they couldn't do more or did some development people just keep their usual routine and didn't try harder? Difficult to tell.

The engine is a treat though, the 8 speed auto is very fast, the truck is a pleasure to drive in snow (the weight alone and the huge 295 winter tires seem to "kill" the snow, amazing) and comfort is really great, also has a lot of luggage room. We never had that much luggage with us during a ski trip and what is really great, the SRT feels fully loaded as if it is empty. Practically no difference in drive feel (steering, handling, braking, engine pull), which in my opinion is a great engineering achievement. Even in the Cayenne GTS, an engineering marvel and equipped with an air suspension, I felt when the car was fully loaded. The active damper system from Bilstein in the SRT seems to do a better job than I imagined.

I just cannot imagine what this car would be like with a supercharged 600+ hp engine, some further chassis and steering improvements and a more ambitious Uconnect software development. Chrysler really has a great product at their hands, I really hope they know how to do the right things with it. I BET many Germans would be positively surprised with the GC, many don't have a clue how good of a deal this car is.

Oh, the public perception of this car in Germany and in Austria seems to be very positive too. Just yesterday, when I arrived at the hotel, I heard people making comments about how cool "that black Jeep" is. What do I want more?

--

hehe.... I'm very released that you like the car as much as I do.

All findings I sign right away - except the interior temperature was never a trouble for us.

Especially what you say last - everybody loves that car, never had that many positive comments on a car or people walking around and checking it.

Keep on enjoying!

Your next car is about to be introduced RC! indecision

Watch and admire... The 2015 Jeep Renegade 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:

That is so you RC! Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Sheeesh that new Jeep looks hideous! no

Christian, that is what I like about you. As you get older you get smarter.indecision

That said, recently I had an occasion to rent a new Jeep. I hated it and returned it within an hour.surprise

nberry:

Christian, that is what I like about you. As you get older you get smarter.indecision

That said, recently I had an occasion to rent a new Jeep. I hated it and returned it within an hour.surprise

SRT? I doubt it. You are also the guy who doesn't like the Cayenne and drives a...Honda SUV instead. You really should have the word smart in your word repertoire.  Smiley

--

SuzyF:

Suzy, comparing this with the SRT is like comparing the Boxster with the Turbo S. Smiley

--

There is only one Jeep:

When I lived in the Caribbean I had a yellow Wrangler with big tires. Unreliable has hell, but I loved that car so much..

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

I cannot see the photo but I would reply: Like there is only one Porsche? 

--

RC:

I cannot see the photo but I would reply: Like there is only one Porsche? 

exactly! 

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

RC:

Suzy, comparing this with the SRT is like comparing the Boxster with the Turbo S. Smiley

Smiley Smiley
    In contrast to this Jeep entry model, the Boxster at least looks good... Smiley

--

Suzy

Well..the Italians can't get it right all the time. Look at the Fiat Doblo... (dammit, where was that puking smiley again?... ).

--

RC:

Well..the Italians can't get it right all the time. Look at the Fiat Doblo... (dammit, where was that puking smiley again?... ).

Or even worse... The Fiat Multipla Smiley I want that puking smiley too!! 

--

Suzy

Looking at the current design of Fiat models, I get the feeling that 99% of the design department has left for Ferrari. broken heart

--

SuzyF:
    RC:

Smiley Smiley
    In contrast to this Jeep entry model, the Boxster at least looks good... Smiley

That might be right in the eyes of a woman SmileySmiley

.... kidding Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690221 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409575 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255892 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235132 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65618 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858300 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774514 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM