Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

Anyone hear as to whether or not the Macan will be available with PDCC?  As I have one of the first available turbos on order, and wondering if I should wait?   thanks

While i continue to believe that the Macan will bring more long time customers to the Porsche brand,  I also believe that the totality of the Macan customer experience (sales, service, efficient delivery of information) will become more and more important to that customer's acquisition and retention.  

Assuming that the demographic of the Macan buyer is younger than the current Porsche demographic, this generation of buyer is particularly influenced by technology (iPhones, Web purchasing, Twitter, instant messaging, etc.,) and expects that their automobiles and their purchasing/servicing experience be hassle free, efficient and lightening quick.  For example, I predict that those customers will soon prefer to purchase their cars online directly, just as they would other online purchases.  Sales personnel at dealers will dwindle, and become more like advisors.  Service will be accomplished more remotely as well.  Porsche "dealerships" will become more like Porsche "experience centers" where customers will pick up the cars they have ordered online, have them serviced in situations where the repairs cannot be done remotely, and where customers can enjoy events and other recreational and educational experiences.  Tesla is already moving in this direction, with their sales centers in malls and small office spaces.  Those  manufacturers who move best to this--I believe inevitable--change will prosper, while others who don't adapt will fail.  

I am still the customer who prefers to go to a dealer, see cars on the showroom floor, talk to sales personnel, even just hang around the "atmosphere".  But folks, I am now 71, and probably fall into the "troglodyte" class.

RC, perhaps a new thread could be started entitled "Future of Porsche Customer Experience".  I think Rennteam members would have some fascinating ideas and predictions, and even i could learn something...

mercedes new GLA - the Evoque and in particular  the small face lift with the new autobiography, and the Volvo concpet XC SUV all make the Macan look like a vehicle designed by the bean counters in Porsche.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Mercedes GLA is built on A/B class platform .. it is a small SUV, not mid sized like the Macan. GLA is IMO over designed and will not date well, like many recent modern Mercs.

Evoque also smaller than Macan, and no V6 Diesel. Plus interior quality not as good as Macan. On top of all that, far too blingy and shouty.

Volvo: let's see. The current XC60 is utter rubbish .. poor engines, terrible handling and unsettled ride. Interior OK, but nothing to get excited about.

WAY:
    But RC, Porsche always had the 914/916 and 924/944. Didn't they "cheapen" the brand too?

And don't forget the 912. Did that not dilute the Porsche brand and image? Or worse yet, the 912E.

In the US, the 914 was sold as a Porsche, but in the rest of the world it was a VW-Porsche; I suppose that's why RC did not list it as the start of Porsche's brand dilution. But doesn't the very idea of a "VW-Porsche" in itself a dilution?

The reality is, Porsche started as a re-bodied VW. So enough with the exclusivity and dilution talk. What dilutes a brand are uninspired products, and in this regard, I agree with RC: ditch the V6 and Diesel Cayenne, e.g. I disagree on the Cayman though.

CPA4S:

mercedes new GLA - the Evoque and in particular  the small face lift with the new autobiography, and the Volvo concpet XC SUV all make the Macan look like a vehicle designed by the bean counters in Porsche.

You clearly don't understand that Porsche owners do not want to be too flashy, at least not over here in Germany.

Also, why would someone drive a "less sporty" SUV? The competition will have difficulties to keep up with the dynamic Macan. Also, the Macan looks a bit like a small Cayenne and this is also more important than you think for some customers.

The new GLA looks hideous, the Evoque is super stylish but then too stylish and the Volvo concept is...a concept and even if Volvo would get it right, nobody here would seriously consider one instead of a Porsche.

As you see: All is well in the house Porsche. Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

All the empty slots are gradually being filled in the Porsche grand model plan. We hope that in the next few years we'll have the small Panamera based on the upcoming Audi A6 platform and undoubtly Porsche will not miss the great opportunity to offer a MQB based hyperhatch selling at 50% above Golf R.

With this mentality buyers will soon turn away from the 911, as the illustrious history of this model fades away in memory. The IMS debacle was somehow kept silent but I don't think that the GT3 fiasco will go unnoticed, as it has already occupied the mainstream media.

--

"Form follows function"

911 is certainly iconic but its enemy is its impracticality for a large segment of customers.  Many buyers want  a Porsche but 911 doesn't meet their daily needs...

Porsche should have made the Panamera more practical (rear bench and sufficient luggage space) and offer a Coupe version too to rival Mercedes and Bentley.  Personally, I like the shape of the facelifted Panamera.

--

"Form follows function"

Porsche Macan vs Range Rover Evoque...

"...one of these is the best small SUV in the world..."

"Porsche purists might not like it, but the Porsche Macan has already proved to be a smash hit. More than 50,000 have been sold already, which means there's a year-long waiting list. In the hysteria around the new model, it's easy to feel sorry for the Range Rover Evoque. But when it comes to performance, ride and handling, even in the 46mpg S Diesel, the Macan is all over the Evoque. Steve Sutcliffe puts them both to the test..."

Porsche Macan vs Range Rover Evoque -- Autocar video link

Smiley SmileySmiley

The gates are open, as they say.  The Macans are coming, the Macans are coming!

the macan is 90 % of the size weight and interior of the Cayenne - come on. it is a joke to call it a new SUV - it is nothing more than a Cayenne varient - at least under that title it would be an honest delivery of product.

a

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

those other cars are ORIGINAL - i can see why a modern Porsche thread may have issues with that principle. just compare those early Porsche drawings of what that machine could have been. night and bl@@dy day fronm he slab that came out.

i am starting to understand Clarksen's take on the brand after waiting for the Macan and then seeing the product. as one might be able to tell from my tone, i think it is one of the most disappointing product deliveries in a very long time.

--

And the Evoque is not a variant of a Range Rover?  As for the Macan, I will hold my judgement until I see one in depth at  the Geneva Show next week.

reginos:

Porsche should have made the Panamera more practical (rear bench and sufficient luggage space) and offer a Coupe version too to rival Mercedes and Bentley.  Personally, I like the shape of the facelifted Panamera.

Yes, however...the facelift is not really a hit. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

CPA4S:

those other cars are ORIGINAL - i can see why a modern Porsche thread may have issues with that principle. just compare those early Porsche drawings of what that machine could have been. night and bl@@dy day fronm he slab that came out.

i am starting to understand Clarksen's take on the brand after waiting for the Macan and then seeing the product. as one might be able to tell from my tone, i think it is one of the most disappointing product deliveries in a very long time.

--

Well... Then buy something else...

it seems that at least 50,000 people don't agree with you, because the car is selling like hot cakes.  I was also kinda disappointed when I first say the car at the L.A. Autoshow, so I didn't buy one. What's the big deal? There are alternatives enough.  The only thing that matters for Porsche, is how the car is selling and they're doing a pretty good job.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche Macan vs Range Rover Evoque...

"...one of these is the best small SUV in the world..."

"Porsche purists might not like it, but the Porsche Macan has already proved to be a smash hit. More than 50,000 have been sold already, which means there's a year-long waiting list. In the hysteria around the new model, it's easy to feel sorry for the Range Rover Evoque. But when it comes to performance, ride and handling, even in the 46mpg S Diesel, the Macan is all over the Evoque. Steve Sutcliffe puts them both to the test..."

Porsche Macan vs Range Rover Evoque -- Autocar video link

Smiley SmileySmiley

What I really want to know is, what is the throttle response like on the diesel. I'm more likely to order the S or Turbo, but curious to know what the throttle response on a "Porsche" diesel is like.  The only diesel we've ever owned, a X3 30D (they don't bring the 35D here) has crappy throttle response and I really dislike it. Will the Macan Diesel S change my mind about diesels?

Throttle response is pretty good on the Diesel S, especially with Sport Plus (Sport Chrono package) active. Even has a launch control. My wife's X3 35d has a sport setting and the throttle response is quite good with that setup.

--

RC:

Throttle response is pretty good on the Diesel S, especially with Sport Plus (Sport Chrono package) active. Even has a launch control. My wife's X3 35d has a sport setting and the throttle response is quite good with that setup.

I'm very curious about that as well. Can't wait to testdrive the Macan diesel S. I wonder how it compares to the Q5's engine and that from the Cayenne diesel. It is the same, but I didn't like it in the Audi. The Biturbo from the SQ5 is completely different. Much better throttle respons and besides the lower rpm, it almost feels like a good turbocharged petrol engine, like the one in the TTS (but a lot less powerful of course). That is the only reason why i went for that engine in my A6, instead of the normal 3.0TDI, which would have saved me quite a bit of money.

Also curious if ABT will come with an upgrade for the Macan S diesel. Smiley

--

Suzy

Off to Geneva today for press days next Tuesday and Wednesday.  Anxious to get a firm impression of the Macan, and will be posting pics and comments daily.  Any particular questions Rennteamers would like me to ask of Porsche representatives?  i want to really compare the space/fee/design features of a Macan versus a Cayenne.

Any other questions on other models as well?  Targa will be there, and the cars that will race at LeMans.  The press conference will focus on Porsche's return to top level racing.  Going to be interesting...

kiss  Not a Porsche, but the California T is my favourite car of the show I think. Can't wait to see it in person! Also curious about the 991 Targa. 

--

Suzy

I hope to have time to go to the Show, as I will be nearby. I want to see the California the Huracan the Targa and the  919 (I hope in race livery).

Can't wait!

--

"Form follows function"

919 will be in race livery and 2014 format.1393689189857hi5.gif

Good kiss

Do you know the main sponsor?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Good kiss

Wouldn't surprise me if it's RB given Mark Webber's involvement!

Wonderbar:

Off to Geneva today for press days next Tuesday and Wednesday.  Anxious to get a firm impression of the Macan, and will be posting pics and comments daily.  Any particular questions Rennteamers would like me to ask of Porsche representatives?  i want to really compare the space/fee/design features of a Macan versus a Cayenne.

Any other questions on other models as well?  Targa will be there, and the cars that will race at LeMans.  The press conference will focus on Porsche's return to top level racing.  Going to be interesting...

HI,  I'd really appreciate knowing if Porsche is planning on offering PDCC on the Macan, and, why it's not utilized now?   thanks much

Will ask about PDCC..

reginos:

Good kiss

No. Some rumors point to Red Bull, but many say that is unlikely.

Why is RB unlikely? They sponsor many racing categories and they don't have a team in WEC. RB still sponsors Webber personally too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806571 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449518 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267048 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90449 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7209 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887322 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836156 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM