Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari California T

DaveC:
    Mithras:

Avorio, Grigio Ingrid or Vinaccia with the black roof would all look wonderful.

I was about to suggest the same colors when I read your post!! What does Ferrari charge for "historic colors"?

Vinaccia

Grigio Ingrid

Avorio

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Hi everyone

I'm not make any type of comparison between both cars, the situation is that the expectation about the Ferrari California was very high, but I found the card ordinary, with cheaper interior, the noise and user experence is not what was expecting...nothing more nothing less...and for that amount of money Smiley
    The rear seats are very tight, of course I'm not expecting to make a long trip on that seats...I also found it dangerous going at the rear with a good part of the body above the chassis..when I went in the rear seat I felt completely exposed

My friend on the rear seats

1392759828279P1010771.JPG

Of course we enjoy..we laughed and we have fun, that is what someone who pays 250k€ for car, expect to have...fun Smiley.
    The problem is that the experience that we had in the next day, with the Lambo, completely annihilated the Ferrari.
    The perception of the consumer is very important, and for us, the California doesnt deserves the money.

On the other hand, I didnt expected that the Lambo was so powerfull, and so easy to drive. the seats are amazing..and the noise..Smiley ...if I had the money, this would be my choice

P6221077.JPG

cheers

SciFrog:

Pg why are you even comparing the California with the Superleggera? One seats 4 and is convertible GT. The other one is the lightweight version of their 2 seater coupe... The interior of my 5 years old 11k miles California is spotless and shows no wear overall...

There are no other car in the market right now that can best the California in that segment, the only competitor is the 911 but we have discussed it at length before... In the some markets US the 911 can be seen at every street corner, further more the new Porsche pricing scheme made go away the good value 911 used to be and will result and in massive depreciations (you need to single out the GT3 though). Also the notion of a 4WD 911 daily driver even for the winter is a bit scorched right now around NY since there are 61,000 potholes to be fixed...

On the road I invariable confuse the California with the Maserati. They just look alike to me.

I think the Cali T is the best car in this segment.  Unfortunately Ferrari are even worse than Porsche when it comes to options pricing.  I find it funny that they charge you the "option" for brake caliper colors but there is no standard color... you have to choose one of the "options".  

Assuming the base car is $200,000 (which is still to be confirmed) I specced a "decent" optioned Cali T to $263,735.  That is $63K+ for things like parking sensors, better stereo, magna ride, shields, etc.  No special colors, etc.

I also believe it is the best car in the segment and thus I scooped a 09 at a great price... Base is higher than 200, probably 220 or so... Don't forget it comes with 7 years maintenance and ceramic brakes standard, and that a base one comes with way more things than any Porsche 991... 

keithos27:

I find it funny that they charge you the "option" for brake caliper colors but there is no standard color... you have to choose one of the "options".  

That is crazy - I wonder if you get bare aluminum if you refuse to select an option Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

SciFrog:
     and that a base one comes with way more things than any Porsche 991... 

Does it?  Yes you get ceramics, but what else comes standard on the California that is more than on a 911?  You don't even get headlights that turn or brake calipers... hahaha.  :)

What were 09s going for when you snatched up if I can ask?  I'm actually a fan of the current generation Cali's looks too.

My California only has 7 or 8 options on the sticker. All My Porsche came with no less than 17 items, and more like 21-22 of them... My Macan turbo has 28 references in the order form...

First reviews start showing up and it seems Ferrari has done a pretty nice job. Even the sound isn't that bad for this type of car.

Here's Autoexpress' review:
    http://youtu.be/x_0_F4wiHgw

Ferrari California T (turbo) 2014 review

A new turbo V8 engine and revised handling mean the new Ferrari California T should be a sales success

The new Ferrari California T has a lot riding on it. Not only was the last California, launched in 2009, the best-selling Ferrari to date with just over 10,000 sold, but 70 per cent of them went to people buying their first Ferrari.

Keen to retain those converts and grab a few more, Ferrari has evolved rather than reinvented the California, with the biggest change being an all-new turbocharged V8 engine.

The first turbocharged Ferrari road car since the F40, the California T’s move to forced induction is driven by the need to reduce emissions and improve efficiency. With a 3.8-litre capacity compared to the old engines 4.3-litre volume, the new turbocharged V8 is 15 per cent more fuel-efficient and emits 250g/km when fitted with the £960 optional stop/start system.

Yet for most customers it’s the power improvements that will be the biggest attraction. With its twin-scroll turbochargers output is up 69bhp to 552bhp, while torque has risen from 505Nm to 755Nm. Plus, Ferrari has made much of its efforts to ensure their new V8 turbo retains what they describe as the “DNA of a Ferrari engine” – that means an evocative sound, immediate response and an appetite for revs.

And from the moment you press the wheel mounted start button it’s clear traditionalists needn’t have worried. It crackles into life with a deep roar, there’s an instant response as soon as you pick up the throttle and while there’s lots of low down torque and no lag, you still get the typical Ferrari sense of power building to a crescendo as the revs rise.

With a lovely induction bellow at around 2,000rpm and a crisp firecracker exhaust note when you shift at full revs the soundtrack hasn’t been muted, either. The California T will sprint to 62mph in just 3.6 seconds but it’s the in-gear response you really notice on the road. Ferrari has mapped the engine so that torque increases as you go up through the gears, rising to 755Nm in seventh, which allows for longer gear ratios and better economy without sacrificing performance.

As for the rest of the car, the California’s dimensions and aluminium chassis are unchanged but there’s been a host of improvements. For starters the new more compact engine sits 20mm lower contributing to an overall 10 per cent lower centre of gravity. You get the latest generation of Ferrari’s Magneride dampers with 11 per cent stiffer spring rates, while the steering ratio is 10 per cent quicker.

However, there hasn’t been a wholesale change in character - Ferrari says more California customers use their car everyday than other models and there’s a clear distinction from harder edged offerings like the 458 and F12. Always the most relaxed Ferrari in the line up, the outgoing California suffered from slightly wayward body control and lazy reactions for a car wearing the prancing horse badge.

The new T is better tied down, with less roll across the rear axle and tauter reactions. But push on through a flowing corner and the stability control light will flicker as the system senses a little roll instability, but the intervention is subtle and the overall handling balance is reassuringly neutral. The faster steering is sharp but not unnervingly so, while traction out of tight corners is good and the dual-clutch gearbox shifts faster than before. Also, ride quality is decent and it’s still a comfortable cruiser.

In line with other Ferrari models all the major controls are now located on the wheel and there’s a button to decouple the damper settings from the Manettino so you can have a softer ride with Sport settings for the steering, throttle and gearbox. Elsewhere in the cabin you’ll notice a lower and smarter dash, new seats and Ferrari’s latest infotainment system.

The folding hardtop is unchanged and still folds in 14 seconds, while the tiny rear seats make a useful luggage area or space for small children. Externally every panel has been subtly reprofiled to give the California T a fresh look, and with sculpted doors, a lower tail and reworked grille, the California looks sharper and more up to date. Fitting for a car that could be the first of many turbocharged Ferraris.

Verdict

Despite its sales success the California was beginning to show its age. Retaining the same roof and chassis, the new Ferrari California T revitalises the popular cabriolet. It’s still not the most thrilling Ferrari but it strikes a better balance between comfy grand tourer and sportscar than ever before. Improved handling, an updated cabin and smarter looks all help, but it’s the new turbo engine that’s the star of the show.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

I've been keeping a playlist of California T videos (including online reviews) here:   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUNJZxwTozBZ76WEHohpcO8aSMW4087V9

keithos27:

I've been keeping a playlist of California T videos (including online reviews) here:   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUNJZxwTozBZ76WEHohpcO8aSMW4087V9

Smiley That's great! Thanks for sharing.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:
    keithos27:

Smiley That's great! Thanks for sharing.

+1 Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

nberry

There are no other car in the market right now that can best the California in that segment, the only competitor is the 911 but we have discussed it at length before... In the some markets US the 911 can be seen at every street corner, 

On the road I invariable confuse the California with the Maserati. They just look alike to me.

They are Masers by original design arent they? And in LA Calis as they are referred to are on every street cornerSmiley

Well at only 2000/year globally that's more of an anomaly than the norm...

Ferrari put their hands very early into it. There isn't much Maserati in there, even less so in the T.

I really love the new California, but I don't like the engine sound. The previous model sounded imho much better. When watching the videos, I always thought that the tester shifted 2000rpms too early. There is something missing. Of course it is an amazing engine, but for my ears it has lost the acoustic agressivity of all previous Ferrari engines.

--

911 S Cabrio (2013), Panamera GTS (2013)

TomSilver:

I really love the new California, but I don't like the engine sound. The previous model sounded imho much better. When watching the videos, I always thought that the tester shifted 2000rpms too early. There is something missing. Of course it is an amazing engine, but for my ears it has lost the acoustic agressivity of all previous Ferrari engines.

I'm afraid this is getting worse and worse. People want silent cars, at least those people who are not behind the steering wheel of that particular car. Smiley New environmental laws with stricter noise levels put a lot of pressure on car manufacturers, including Ferrari. Larger manufacturers like Porsche have even more issues to offer a proper sound, which is very sad and disappointing. In the end, the cars are getting quieter and I somehow get the feeling that aftermarket exhaust systems will be a dying species too at some point, especially when lawmakers will close this loophole. 

Car manufacturers are actually "dumb": They should develop a sport exhaust system with third party manufacturers together, to make sure that system "fits" their cars and everything is in the green and then they should let the third party manufacturers sell these exhaust systems as aftermarket parts, making it much easier for them to offer a nice exhaust sound through a third party, without compromising any noise emissions laws. Smiley The only thing manufacturers have to do, is to "approve" that specific exhaust system for aftermarket usage, so car owners don't loose the warranty. Problem solved. Smiley At least until the lawmakers will close this loophole too. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

After months of going back and forth on what my next car should be (coming from 12.5 years with an e39 M5, daily driver for the next 10 years, with access to a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid) I think I'm going to go and put a deposit down for the California T this weekend. :)

keithos27:

After months of going back and forth on what my next car should be (coming from 12.5 years with an e39 M5, daily driver for the next 10 years, with access to a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid) I think I'm going to go and put a deposit down for the California T this weekend. :)

If you need a nice family ride (kid and all...), get an inexpensive Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. You'll love it (for that kind of money). The California T is a good choice for you, I think. Smiley Saw one with Italian plates last weekend near Lech (Austria) and it is a beautiful car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thanks Christian.  I really and truly thought I wanted the 991 Turbo S and it's a truly impressive car but I think I am liking the California T better (GT vs true sports layout, CarPlay, trunk in rear with folding rear seats, magnetic shocks, awesome multifunction steering wheel, no blank switches, etc.).  I went and saw the NYC premier earlier this week and the car was beautiful, just too elegant for my liking in the livery they chose (Rosso California with the Nero top) and standard 19" wheel.  I'd prefer to get the Rosso Corsa exterior (with same color roof) and get the two tone Nero/Beige Tradizione interior with the 20" optional wheel (still debating silver vs diamond finish).  I think that will be a nice blend of sporty exterior with classier interior.

If I put a deposit down this weekend I'll still have to wait until April 2015 to take delivery probably... Sigh.

keithos27:

Thanks Christian.  I really and truly thought I wanted the 991 Turbo S and it's a truly impressive car but I think I am liking the California T better (GT vs true sports layout, CarPlay, trunk in rear with folding rear seats, magnetic shocks, awesome multifunction steering wheel, no blank switches, etc.).  I went and saw the NYC premier earlier this week and the car was beautiful, just too elegant for my liking in the livery they chose (Rosso California with the Nero top) and standard 19" wheel.  I'd prefer to get the Rosso Corsa exterior (with same color roof) and get the two tone Nero/Beige Tradizione interior with the 20" optional wheel (still debating silver vs diamond finish).  I think that will be a nice blend of sporty exterior with classier interior.

If I put a deposit down this weekend I'll still have to wait until April 2015 to take delivery probably... Sigh. w

You probably can buy a used one with low mileage at a discount in a few months if not sooner.

RC:
    TomSilver:

I'm afraid this is getting worse and worse. People want silent cars, at least those people who are not behind the steering wheel of that particular car. Smiley New environmental laws with stricter noise levels put a lot of pressure on car manufacturers, including Ferrari. Larger manufacturers like Porsche have even more issues to offer a proper sound, which is very sad and disappointing. In the end, the cars are getting quieter and I somehow get the feeling that aftermarket exhaust systems will be a dying species too at some point, especially when lawmakers will close this loophole. 

Car manufacturers are actually "dumb": They should develop a sport exhaust system with third party manufacturers together, to make sure that system "fits" their cars and everything is in the green and then they should let the third party manufacturers sell these exhaust systems as aftermarket parts, making it much easier for them to offer a nice exhaust sound through a third party, without compromising any noise emissions laws. Smiley The only thing manufacturers have to do, is to "approve" that specific exhaust system for aftermarket usage, so car owners don't loose the warranty. Problem solved. Smiley At least until the lawmakers will close this loophole too. Smiley

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763707 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436094 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260858 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82569 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

875657 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808456 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM