Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New family SUV orderd...

SuzyF:

Congrats RC!  Very nice car. You made the right choice. The Jeep is way cooler and more exclusive than a "boring" Cayenne. And you save a lot of money. kiss

Now we will be expecting the same reaction on this board when someone is tempted by a new Corvette.... Just replace "Jeep" in the above statement with "Corvette", and "Cayenne" with "911". smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:
    SuzyF:

Congrats RC!  Very nice car. You made the right choice. The Jeep is way cooler and more exclusive than a "boring" Cayenne. And you save a lot of money. kiss

Now we will be expecting the same reaction on this board when someone is tempted by a new Corvette.... Just replace "Jeep" in the above statement with "Corvette", and "Cayenne" with "911". smiley

Whahaha!  Smiley  Not from me... Don't like any Corvette newer than C2 Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

The Jeep is going to be a third or fourth car, just for longer family trips. It will sit most of the time in the garage. If I would drive this car more often, I would have chosen a Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S. Please try to understand the reason for going for the SRT8, it was the cheapest acceptable solution. The 911 vs Corvette comparison is valid but for a fun toy, I would never choose the Corvette, unless it would be the same situation...needing a cheap but still acceptable solution.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

The Jeep is going to be a third or fourth car, just for longer family trips. It will sit most of the time in the garage. If I would drive this car more often, I would have chosen a Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S. Please try to understand the reason for going for the SRT8, it was the cheapest acceptable solution. The 911 vs Corvette comparison is valid but for a fun toy, I would never choose the Corvette, unless it would be the same situation...needing a cheap but still acceptable solution.

Was not addressing you RC, but others on RT including many in the US where the Corvette is perhaps more in its element... Remember this thread was started by Lars and his Jeep.... speaking of which -- we still like to see pics of your jeep Lars!  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:
    RC:

Was not addressing you RC, but others on RT including many in the US where the Corvette is perhaps more in its element... Remember this thread was started by Lars and his Jeep.... speaking of which -- we still like to see pics of your jeep Lars!  

Me too (he sent me some pickup pics but I think he can do better Smiley). 

His car is gorgeous...hopefully he will post some photos soon.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

kissCongratulations RC!  

I am curious about the dealer's offer of a 7.3 l, 557 hp Hemi.  Where does this engine come from?  I don't see it as an available "crate" motor from Chrysler.

4trac:
     -- we still like to see pics of your jeep Lars!  

Guys - you are right.... but the weather is so bad, the car is always dirty.... I will do my best Smiley

GM Austin:

kissCongratulations RC!  

I am curious about the dealer's offer of a 7.3 l, 557 hp Hemi.  Where does this engine come from?  I don't see it as an available "crate" motor from Chrysler.

He will thrill bigger pistons and change the crank shaft to gain more capacity!

GM Austin:

kissCongratulations RC!  

They increase the engine displacement (classic tuning). Some of their cars are already equipped with this engine, it can be brought up to 650 hp (in this Jeep Wrangler for example, 0-100 kph in 4.8 seconds Smiley).

Rubicon_Trail_ORZ-9.jpg

Unfortunately they cannot get more than 557 hp certified (TÜV) and for the 2014 SRT8, the TÜV certification isn't ready yet, they need to complete a 10000 km real life test run and they haven't done it yet.

This is an example of a similar engine (I actually think they use the same "stroking" method):

http://www.bpeusa.com/BPE440ENGINESRT8.asp

I think I am going to stay with the original engine power, it is more than enough for a family SUV. Smiley If I get bored though, it is good to know that I have an alternative. Smiley The tuned engine is highly reliable according to them and I've seen the car in the picture and it really is in a very good shape (a bit dirty though).

I already ordered the sport exhaust with flap control, it sounds amazing. Like these old V8 muscle cars and their amazing growl which gets louder and louder. In it's standard setup, the SRT8 is already louder than the Cayenne GTS. 

--

@ Lars - Yes, I saw that was possible using the Mopar 426 crate engine:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1203_horsepower_426_hemi_crate_engine/

but I did not see an engine builder that was doing that for an off-the-shelf available option.  Maybe the importer/dealer is doing the boring and stroking?  If so, that's very ambitious "tuning"!

@RC - Cool looking Wrangler!  Yes, I saw that BPE motor before, and 440 ci is pretty close to the 7.3 l mentioned.  I think you said there was a warranty, correct?  Nice!

Yes, I would get the full warranty. What Chrysler doesn't pay, the dealer warranty would. Classic stroking tuning and very reliable according to the many customers the dealer has.

Here is a photo of a Dodge Durango with a similar 7.2 l engine (based on an older SRT8 engine).

durango.jpg

Here is the SRT8 sport exhaust...

exhaust.jpg

Here is the magic button for the flap control. indecision

button.jpg

--

Contrats. Very nice car RC.

Congratulations RC . You will have fun with it and it will give your nosy neighbors a new conversation topic.

I just got a chance to catch up on this thread over the weekend. And now I'm wondering, did the website get hijacked or spoofed somehow? 

C'est le monde a l'envers...

From a price/performance ratio point of view, the SRT8 is an amazing offer. Of course I would have preferred the Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S but money doesn't grow on trees and this car isn't that important to me to spend unnecessary money on it. Also, it is something completely new and if I am going to get the conclusion that this car is crap, Ralph Gilles will certainly hear from me. 

So far, everything I heard and read about then 2014 model seems to be quite positive though.

--

JimFlat6:

Congratulations RC . You will have fun with it and it will give your nosy neighbors a new conversation topic.

This certainly is going to be fun...especially since the sport exhaust lets the ground tremble. indecision

--

The 2014 GC is also that much better as any predecessor as it shares some chassis parts with the Mercedes ML. You can feel the build quality of the car and the good chassis quality. Nothing rattles, no unwanted noises. 

Ours was intended to be my wifes car for Kiddi-Transport and so on. We ended up using it as main family car right now - just we love it that much. 

Lars997:

The 2014 GC is also that much better as any predecessor as it shares some chassis parts with the Mercedes ML. You can feel the build quality of the car and the good chassis quality. Nothing rattles, no unwanted noises. 

Ours was intended to be my wifes car for Kiddi-Transport and so on. We ended up using it as main family car right now - just we love it that much. 

First quality look and feel impressions have been very positive indeed. I was surprised to see that kind of quality on a US car (no offense meant). Chrysler went the extra mile and it shows, not sure how much this has to do with their new owners but according to the dealer, a group of Fiat engineers/designers were shocked when they visited Chrysler for the very first time and tried to improve quality substantially. Not that Fiat is the best example for quality cars Smiley but if they had any influence upon Chrysler, it surely shows in the new Grand Cherokee SRT8. Compared to the 2012 model, the difference is really visible and touchable.

I guess the only real downside of this car is fuel consumption but I guess I have to live with it... Smiley

Btw: The fuel tank capacity is 93.5 liters, not bad but maybe they should have offered a 120 l tank or so. Smiley

--

Congrats to this sick power SUV. IMO this is the Only US SUV that is really tempting. kiss

Avoe:

Congrats to this sick power SUV. IMO this is the Only US SUV that is really temptingkiss

I'm afraid so (and this is again something I don't get...Americans love SUVs, so why no high performance SUVs from other manufacturers?). We always have a Cadillac Escalade during our trips in the US because it has a lot of interior and luggage room and because it is often the only car which can be picked up at one rental station and returned at a different one. The kids love the Escalade but I hate it. This car is considered to be a luxury SUV but the only good thing about it is the comfort and the engine. Everything else, including quality look and feel is very bad in my opinion.

--

Yep - consumption sucks.

I checked the fuel by re-filling now couple of times. With an overweight on local/city driving it always have been 18 liters and if going long distance with "normal Autobahn flow around 160-180 km/h" its around 14 liters. Never had the chance going Autobahn on higher speed for longer distance but whenever I was quickly up on 260 km/h it was showing around 30 liters on the display. But for our daily use you have the 18 liters.

Lars997:

Yep - consumption sucks.

I checked the fuel by re-filling now couple of times. With an overweight on local/city driving it always have been 18 liters and if going long distance with "normal Autobahn flow around 160-180 km/h" its around 14 liters. Never had the chance going Autobahn on higher speed for longer distance but whenever I was quickly up on 260 km/h it was showing around 30 liters on the display. But for our daily use you have the 18 liters.

18 liters is "acceptable"...my Cayenne GTS had around 19 l / 100 km. Never seen 30 liters though, at top speed, the fuel consumption was around 22-23 liters (Cayenne GTS).

Found this interesting graphic about the Harman Kardon sound system on the SRT (maybe interesting for some).

harman_speakers_02.jpg

--

Interesting discussion,

what does bargain exactly mean, when talking numbers?

I checked back with Sixt-Leasing and they had it for 900€ monthly on a 36 month lease with 10k kilometers for a bone stock car ... 20k kilometers were +100€ monthly.

I could buy a brand new SRT8 bone stock for 60k€.

All numbers VAT included.

So can you give a hint to what can be expected actually?

Best regards

Tom

Rookie:

Interesting discussion,

what does bargain exactly mean, when talking numbers?

I checked back with Sixt-Leasing and they had it for 900€ monthly on a 36 month lease with 10k kilometers for a bone stock car ... 20k kilometers were +100€ monthly.

I could buy a brand new SRT8 bone stock for 60k€.

So can you give a hint to what can be expected actually?

Best regards

Tom

Yes, these are aprox. the numbers for a GERMAN car. For me, this is a bargain, especially when I compare it to a Cayenne Diesel (won't even start with the Cayenne GTS or any other premium SUV model).

I didn't choose Sixt because I wanted to have a local dealer with tuning experience and because I needed the car immediately.

--

Same numbers I got. Sixt would have been 10% less expensive but I wanted the car quicker and preferred a solid dealer.

Also same here - a Cayenne Diesel would have been 50% more expensive with an comparable equipment. You are writing "bone stock car".... lets call it different "fully packed stock car". The only two things I have as extras are metallic and full leather trim - everything else is stock!

Next Generation will receive an Turbo - called HellCat :)

http://www.ontariostreetcar.com/tag/6-2l-supercharged-hemi/

Lars997:

Next Generation will receive an Turbo - called HellCat :)

http://www.ontariostreetcar.com/tag/6-2l-supercharged-hemi/

Supercharged, not for MY 2015 though (Grand Cherokee). Not a fan of the MY 2015 front look of the Grand Cherokee (there are rumors that it is going to get a similar look as the Cherokee), I just hope they do the SRT different. Also, the supercharged SRT will be more expensive as far as I heard (but probably still way cheaper than the Cayenne Turbo S for example).

It is good to get more choices in the high performance SUV segment. Smiley

--

You are definetly right ... fully packed stock car" is a better expression. I just wanted to give a fix number concerning MSRP.

And yes ... that is very much bang for your buck!

Fuel consumption does not bother me, as it would not eat a lot of miles.

Thanx for the info!

Tom

RC:
    Lars997:

Yep - consumption sucks.

18 liters is "acceptable"...my Cayenne GTS had around 19 l / 100 km. Never seen 30 liters though, at top speed, the fuel consumption was around 22-23 liters (Cayenne GTS).

Found this interesting graphic about the Harman Kardon sound system on the SRT (maybe interesting for some).

harman_speakers_02.jpg

The fuel consumption issue is rather interesting.  Most European automakers develop engines with specific fuel consumptions that tend to be relatively flat across the RPM range because of higher speeds obtained on the autobahn.  U.S. manufacturers develop engines that optimize fuel economy, and specific fuel consumption, at lower RPMs and velocities.  Driving conditions in the States seldom exceed 125-130 kph.

Christian - congrats on your new SUV. Sounds like a fantastic deal. Much, much cheaper than here in the USA!

Welcome to my preferred - large, naturally aspirated world. Hope you enjoy it in good health.

cheers

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM