Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

carrera 4/4s, are they actually bought or sold in so cal?

living in so. CA it amazes me how many people actually drive c4's. i've come to the conclusion that these cars actually sold, not bought to 1st time porsche buyers thinking 'more money means better.' these people just don't understand in year round warm weather AWD is useless. only 2 guys i've met with a c4 really needed one...the first keeps a 2nd home in mammoth (a ski area) and the 2nd just relocated from aspen. any purists care to comment?

Re: carrera 4/4s, are they actually bought or sold in so cal?

Agree that 90%+ of buyers of new P/F are guys who prob don't know much about sportscars and are simply trying to buy status and a youthful image....more expensive/wider/bigger wheels/louder exhaust is better, right?

Seriously, though LA arguably enjoys world's best weather, it does rain a fair amt in winter...conds where AWD provides another layer of active safety; and, even in LA's near-perfect non-rainy, non-wintertime weather, during many early AM's in coastal mtn twisties, one may encounter a few damp patches, esp in foggy coastal zones....again, another layer of active safety w/AWD....

Given pricing of well-spec'd 997C4S, I suspect many astute buyers in CA are simply opting for either 997C2S or will get 997TT, thus the reportedly soft 997C4S sales....

Personally, I never understood why there are so many C4/C4S in Southern Cal. It maybe rains 30 days a year (last year was the exception and not the rule). And it's not like these guys are driving up to Mammouth or Tahoe in their 911s - don't see many ski racks on 911s. I've always assumed that they are either first time owners and/or just going on the theory that more expensive = better. You'd think they'd go for the C2, which has more trunk space.

looks better

I can't agree with the premise that it is first time buyers, or "more expensive=better" mentality. Or even that C4/C4S are only for the snow. I feel this is a common misconception that the Four is for snow bound people. From my research, etc, I have learned that a good set of winter tires on a C2 will take down a Four in the snow, if the 4 is equipped only with summer tires, (if the 4 is also equipped with winter tires, it will obviously then have the acceleration advantage [this has been discussed ad nauseam somewhere around here]).

The 4 has a traction advantage in many different circumstance, not limited to wet/snow. Reading about Walter Rohl and the press introduction to the C4 in Monte Carlo (in Excellence Magazine, #141 Oct. '05) opened my eyes to what the 4 can accomplish on dry, curvy roads. Gripping, accelerating, and pulling the car through the turn, gets Walter on the straight path more quickly, and quicker is better, to me.

Also, the new 4, along with the "safety net" of AWD has two more improved braking scenarios than the C2/2S... Something some us fathers might appreciate more than others.

I think these generalizations are bogus. I'll take a 997TT, oh, wait, that has AWD.

I do need the extra trunk space, so maybe a C2S will have to suffice

Quote:
    Butzi (Chef_jmr) said:
    I feel this is a common misconception that the Four is for snow bound people.

The 4 has a traction advantage in many different circumstance, not limited to wet/snow. Reading about Walter Rohl and the press introduction to the C4 in Monte Carlo (in Excellence Magazine, #141 Oct. '05) opened my eyes to what the 4 can accomplish on dry, curvy roads. Gripping, accelerating, and pulling the car through the turn, gets Walter on the straight path more quickly, and quicker is better, to me.

Well said Carrera 4wd are not meant to be snowmobiles, though they provide some advantage on slippery tarmac. It's just another drivetrain-concept, providing less "go-kartish" drivefeel (I think that's the main reason why some people prefer the RWD Carrera) but better traction (there is a reason why most rallye cars are 4WD).

Can't believe that most C4 owners just buy it as a prestige statement, because most non P-emthusiasts don't realize the difference at all.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

Can't believe that most C4 owners just buy it as a prestige statement,

That's because you don't know this town.....everything here is a function of a prestige statement....pretty nauseating really!!!

Come on guys it is """LA""" or """OC""" we are talking about!!!!

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    everything here is a function of a prestige statement....pretty nauseating really!!!

In this case F-car comes to my mind, not C4

I have a second home at Tahoe and would never think of driving my Turbo , even with something like Nokian WR tires, up there or around there during snow season . Car sits too low to navigate side roads and the accumulation of ice in the tight front wheels wells makes turning a challenge ! Then there are all the potholes hidden by snow and the blasting by the sand laid down on I80 by CalTrans workers.

Hey maybe the person who buys a C4 or C4S buys it because they like the car. Maybe they like the feel of driving a 4 wheel drive car no matter if it is sunny, raining, snowing, etc. I did a few test drives in a C4S and thought it was fun to drive.

How silly of us not to have sought your wise counsel...

before making such a silly purchase!

I can't imagine how we got this far without your intervention!

Re: How silly of us not to have sought your wise counsel...

guess you're one of them

cheers

Quote:
    wangt1015 said:
    Come on guys it is """LA""" or """OC""" we are talking about!!!!

Exactly!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    Butzi (Chef_jmr) said:
    I feel this is a common misconception that the Four is for snow bound people.

Well said Carrera 4wd are not meant to be snowmobiles, though they provide some advantage on slippery tarmac. It's just another drivetrain-concept, providing less "go-kartish" drivefeel (I think that's the main reason why some people prefer the RWD Carrera) but better traction (there is a reason why most rallye cars are 4WD).

Can't believe that most C4 owners just buy it as a prestige statement, because most non P-emthusiasts don't realize the difference at all.

Yes, indeed!

I LOVE the way it drives and looks.

Some people still fear the rear engine configuration, and so take awd to feel confident.

doesn't someone have to be a '1st time buyer' before becoming like the many seasoned buyers here?

Yeah, it's quite funny how some folks seem to look down their nose if you don't spec your baby as they would, or if you're a 1st time buyer or...

Cheers! We're blessed to be able to have such fine machines.

Why don't you ask all the people in So.Cal why they drive SUV's, Audi's, Benz's, Bently's, Lambo's....etc, with AWD??

What a stupid statement, to simply paint everyone who lives in a 'non-winter environment' - with the same silly brush.

I purchased a c4s because I prefer the handling a hell of a lot more than a c2s. Why don't you at least take a c4s for a test drive around some bends and twists, compare the traction and then make a sweeping judgement. Crikey.

"I think you are just jealous of us c4s owners because you can't afford one."....How's that for another stupid statement?

Quote:
    mish said:
    What a stupid statement, to simply paint everyone who lives in a 'non-winter environment' - with the same silly brush.

I purchased a c4s because I prefer the handling a hell of a lot more than a c2s. Why don't you at least take a c4s for a test drive around some bends and twists, compare the traction and then make a sweeping judgement. Crikey.

"I think you are just jealous of us c4s owners because you can't afford one."....How's that for another stupid statement?

A lot of people think that the 997 C4S has much understeer and doesn't drive sporty. I never drove a 996 C4, I owned a 996 tt. The 996 tt had a little understeer, my 997 C4S (-20 mm, LSD) with Bridgstone is totally neutral. Neutral means faster then oversteer or understeer. Some people like oversteer, also a 997 C2S with Michelin (I have driven) has more understeer then my C4S. I have heard that a 996 C4 was like a fat pig, I couldn't comment this. As far as Porsche and Walter Rörhl has commented the C4S is faster then a C2S. Porsche claimed this for Nordschleife, Walter for twists.
    The new 997 C4S has only 5% on the front axle, this is for stability reason. So you don't feel it much on the steering wheel, but you feel the straight stability this car has. On twists you would see the real difference between the C2S and C4S.

If I had to choose again, it would be either a 997 tt or 997 C4S with X51.

AM

Yep....the other day, my friend and I were driving around some deserted roads with lots of nice twists, turns and bends....I was in my 997 c4s cab - he was in a 997 c2s cab. Half way through, we decided to swap and drive the same route using different cars.

There was a HUGE difference.

I was astounded at how much more traction and overall how much more comfortable the c4s felt at higher speeds around twists and bends. Even my friend admitted that the handling was awesome and a totally different driving experience from his c2. It just goes to prove, the c4s is NOT just a 'winter' car, it's a great choice for those who want to feel as connected to the road as they possibly can.

P.s The 996 c4s is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the 997 c4s.

Re: carrera 4/4s, are they actually bought or sold in so cal

here you go...

great video that makes you say hmm ain't so cali

audi, lambo, c4 snow video.

Quote:
    jmorod said:
    here you go...

great video that makes you say hmm ain't so cali

audi, lambo, c4 snow video.

Nice video, but what's the verdicts? Which one was the best?

An average driver will feel that a C4 is more surefooted than a C2 for several reasons: the extra weight up front is a familiar feeling since almost every other car available has more weight up front. The light front end of a 911 is unfamiliar to most, and nobody likes what's unfamiliar. At the same time, that is one of the reasons that 911's have the incredibly accurate steering and steering feel that they are known for. Secondly, and I am theorizing here, b/c I haven't driven a 997 C4 (but I have in the 996 series) - it is hard to understand how understeer coud have significantly been reduced in the 997 C4 given the FAT rear tires that it has. Cars that tend to understeer feel more comfortable to most drivers. The less likely a car is to oversteer, the more people will consider it "sure footed.

I've been following these C2 vs C4 posts for a long time, and there seems to now be pretty good consensus that a C2 has more communicative steering than a C4, and is more "tossable" (ie. easier for you the driver to get it to change directions quickly and play with it's inherent handling characteristics).

There is one fact that seems poorly addressed: if AWD is really "better", then why isn't it available on the Carrera GT, GT2, and GT3? The key is probably that this debate, which I have really enjoyed, is flawed - the question is not of one being better than the other. AWD and RWD will have different driving characteristics, and it is up to the individual to decide which they prefer.

There is a price to be paid for AWD (and in some circumstances, RWD will perform less well than AWD), and most people don't appreciate that. What they do see is (1) more money means it must be better (2) AWD must be better than 2wd (3) C4S = more status (just look and see how many people are disappointed that the C4 isn't as visually distinct from the C2 in the 997 series . . . ). I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone on this thread or in this forum, but only speaking in general about the average Porsche buyer.

Even if I decided that I wanted AWD, I wouldn't get a C4 at this point since it's likely that the new AWD system in the TT will be available in the C4, and it should help to reduce weight, especially up front, while also providing more variability in the torque distribution.

Drive 'em both, buy what you like. It's your car who cares what everyone else thinks. The nice thing about Porsche is YOU get to make the choice.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    There is one fact that seems poorly addressed: if AWD is really "better", then why isn't it available on the Carrera GT, GT2, and GT3?

Because these cars feel better on track, AWD feels better on everyday roads.

Quote:
    matpop said:
    Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    There is one fact that seems poorly addressed: if AWD is really "better", then why isn't it available on the Carrera GT, GT2, and GT3?

Because these cars feel better on track, AWD feels better on everyday roads.

Can you explain why that is? I mean, why wouldn't AWD feel good on a track too? And if RWD feels better on a track, why wouldn't it feel better on regular roads as well? The issue shouldn't be confused with a discussion regarding suspension - just AWD vs RWD.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    An average driver will feel that a C4 is more surefooted than a C2 for several reasons: the extra weight up front is a familiar feeling since almost every other car available has more weight up front. The light front end of a 911 is unfamiliar to most, and nobody likes what's unfamiliar. At the same time, that is one of the reasons that 911's have the incredibly accurate steering and steering feel that they are known for. Secondly, and I am theorizing here, b/c I haven't driven a 997 C4 (but I have in the 996 series) - it is hard to understand how understeer coud have significantly been reduced in the 997 C4 given the FAT rear tires that it has. Cars that tend to understeer feel more comfortable to most drivers. The less likely a car is to oversteer, the more people will consider it "sure footed.

I've been following these C2 vs C4 posts for a long time, and there seems to now be pretty good consensus that a C2 has more communicative steering than a C4, and is more "tossable" (ie. easier for you the driver to get it to change directions quickly and play with it's inherent handling characteristics).

There is one fact that seems poorly addressed: if AWD is really "better", then why isn't it available on the Carrera GT, GT2, and GT3? The key is probably that this debate, which I have really enjoyed, is flawed - the question is not of one being better than the other. AWD and RWD will have different driving characteristics, and it is up to the individual to decide which they prefer.

There is a price to be paid for AWD (and in some circumstances, RWD will perform less well than AWD), and most people don't appreciate that. What they do see is (1) more money means it must be better (2) AWD must be better than 2wd (3) C4S = more status (just look and see how many people are disappointed that the C4 isn't as visually distinct from the C2 in the 997 series . . . ). I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone on this thread or in this forum, but only speaking in general about the average Porsche buyer.

Even if I decided that I wanted AWD, I wouldn't get a C4 at this point since it's likely that the new AWD system in the TT will be available in the C4, and it should help to reduce weight, especially up front, while also providing more variability in the torque distribution.

I am a very happy c4s owner....and yes, it would be nice to have the car to be visually different from the c2 simply because it IS a different model. The Turbo, The GTs each look different so why doesn't the C4? If you paid an extra lot of cash for a Turbo, you too would probably expect a more radical design to at least distinguish it from its cousins. It's lazy, cost effective designing from Porsche if you ask me.

Having said that, the C4s looks gorgeous as is - and kicks the c2's butt on straight handling and even (according to Top Gear's Stig) on the track! I'll happily take that over the quirky, unstable, light fronted c2.

Living in snowy Sweden, and having driven a C2 several times in snow, I can vouch that the 2WD car is more than capable enough in winter weather. So a C4 is not really necessary even in colder climates.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762466 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435358 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260516 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257573 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872279 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807653 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM