Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

nberry:

Porsche is not being up front with what the problems are with the GT3. They failed to tell the dealers or their customers as to why there is a stop sale on the cars other than to say it is related to engine issues. 

Speculation has gone from an easy fix to the most recent out of Abu Dubai that some cars will need engine replacement because the rods are melting. Porsche needs to tell buyers like myself what the problem is and what it will take to fix it. The lack of explanation only leads to suspicion that Porsche does not know what the problem is.

I don't buy into the bullshit that Porsche knows what it is doing and will make it right. Porsche has a full plate with several new models and buyers are beginning to pay the price with quality issues.

It's possible they don't know exactly what the problem is (which would be embarrassing to admit), but it's also the case that in circumstances like these almost all companies fall into a sort of circle-the-wagons mentality and become rather tight-lipped, which leads to customer frustration. I've never really understood why companies generally don't understand the kind of customer frustration this leads to, although, I suppose they think it's best to not give the press real fodder to beat them up with.

Actually we know how this will be handled by Porsche if indeed past is prologue, porous cases and RMS failures to be specific. I anticipated that teething issues would be a high probability with this car and it was one of a number of reasons I cancelled my order.  That the car will be made right was not my concern, but rather my low tolerance for the effort  and inconvience involved to see it through.  

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

nberry:

Porsche is not being up front with what the problems are with the GT3. They failed to tell the dealers or their customers as to why there is a stop sale on the cars other than to say it is related to engine issues. 

Speculation has gone from an easy fix to the most recent out of Abu Dubai that some cars will need engine replacement because the rods are melting. Porsche needs to tell buyers like myself what the problem is and what it will take to fix it. The lack of explanation only leads to suspicion that Porsche does not know what the problem is.

I don't buy into the bullshit that Porsche knows what it is doing and will make it right. Porsche has a full plate with several new models and buyers are beginning to pay the price with quality issues.

nberry:

I fully agree..Porsche´s communication is a desaster - unacceptable for me. But I didnt order a 991 GT3..so I could care less. Nevertheless, their behaviour is unfair. I would have more faith if they would say now: "OK..we have problem XYZ- we are sorry - it will take another 3 month but you can be sure we will solve it in the best way".

This whole thing destroys confidence..the longer the specualtion continues..the more the confidence will go down..and also the second hand value of the 991 GT3..it will be "slaughtered by the market"..sorry for my harsh words..

Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:

As long as the car burns within the warranty period, which is certain if it is faulty, what is the problem?

The customer will get a new one for free and perhaps have a chance to revise his original spec, too.

Why all the fuss yes

a mechanical failure is one thing but catching on fire is extremely serious, not only dangeorus for the occupants, but also a burning car itslef can burn down anything next to it, imagine that it happens inside when you are parking the car in house's garage...

I can't understand how this would happen.  Porsche engineers R+D department ?

it's incredible. As Carlos said this is not a "normal failure"... A car on fire could destroy everything over it in a close rang

--

nberry:

Act busy...do nothing - during spy photo days Smiley

apias:
    nberry:

It's possible they don't know exactly what the problem is (which would be embarrassing to admit), but it's also the case that in circumstances like these almost all companies fall into a sort of circle-the-wagons mentality and become rather tight-lipped, which leads to customer frustration. I've never really understood why companies generally don't understand the kind of customer frustration this leads to, although, I suppose they think it's best to not give the press real fodder to beat them up with.

Highly unlike that Porsche would not know the cause of the problem.  More likely, Porsche is weighing the cost benefit analysis of issuing a recall or handling warranty claims.

Good point!

Has anyone ordered their GT3 in Oryx white PTS? 

It is being reported that Porsche has halted deliveries of the GT3 after the five fires.  This is not good news. 

Looks like Tesla has similar problems with fires. Autospies.com reports another car caught fire in Toronto. Keeps an eye on their shares Monday!

mp:

Looks like Tesla has similar problems with fires. Autospies.com reports another car caught fire in Toronto. Keeps an eye on their shares Monday!

Well, I doubt very much that the GT3 fires are the result of thermal runaway.

igirl:
    Whoopsy:

The initial batch was recalled for a thermostat issue, the engine 'might' overheat and get damaged especially when new with the tight tolerance. Maybe not all the cars got the replacement?

I have just checked with my dealer this morning: no recall for my GT3...

Hi Igirl, Happy for you

Can some of our German sources find out exactly what the issue is with the recent Stop Sale edict issued by Porsche? The speculation has gone from a couple of new bolts to bearing failure. It seems like with each day there is a new issue. It REALLY would help if Porsche informed its dealers and buyers what the problem is to at least put an end to all the wild speculation.

Here is hoping that Monday Porsche makes an announcement.

BTW, does the Stop Sale indict mean the dealers should suspend selling the GT3?

nberry:

Can some of our German sources find out exactly what the issue is with the recent Stop Sale edict issued by Porsche? The speculation has gone from a couple of new bolts to bearing failure. It seems like with each day there is a new issue. It REALLY would help if Porsche informed its dealers and buyers what the problem is to at least put an end to all the wild speculation.

Here is hoping that Monday Porsche makes an announcement.

BTW, does the Stop Sale indict mean the dealers should suspend selling the GT3?

Yes, a Stop Sale means a dealer is not able to sell the car until Porsche issues a fix to the cars in inventory and on the road. Usually, the logistics, if owners of sold cars are not told to drive their cars, means that scarce repair parts/service will be provided to vehicles in the field first, as well as cars in production, before the dealer inventory is repaired. 

In a worse case scenario, a manufacturer will halt production until a solution is found.  Given this, I'd venture a guess and surmise that the GT3 RS will be pushed back.  

Moral of the story so far: never buy a car that has beeen newly developed in the first year of production, even when it comes from Porsche! Same applies to motorbikes and other producers... 

--

turbolite

turbolite:

Moral of the story so far: never buy a car that has beeen newly developed in the first year of production, even when it comes from Porsche! Same applies to motorbikes and other producers... 

I hate to say this but you are right. However, I always want to be the first Smiley and I usually am but my current 991 Turbo S has been trouble free so far, so I would say that something is wrong with (supplier) quality and quality control. This cannot be an excuse for Porsche and I heard that a lot of heat has been put on the people involved to resolve the issues quickly but it is sad that it happens. It shouldn't.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Just placed an order for a GT3 scheduled for a late April delivery. The car will NOT be driven on a track. I think I can live without the ceramics. Am I missing something?

White exterior color
    Black leather interior, seats leather/Alcantara
    Sports seats plus /4way, electric/
    Steering wheel rim in smooth-finish leather Black
    90l-Fuel tank
    Windscreen with grey top-tint
    Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
    Bi-Xenon headlights in black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
    Lifting system front axle
    Luggage net passenger footwell
    Floor mats
    Carbon interior package (with leather interior)
    Centre console trim Carbon
    Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface
    Chrono Package
    Telephone module
    Sound Package Plus
    Extended interior package door panel in leather/Alcantara
    Extended interior package dashborad trim in leather
    Cruise control

Yes blue tooth you have to order separately on the GT3

The telephone module (666) includes both GSM module and Bluetooth interface. Regarding the STOP SELL - it affects only cars that have already been produced. So far there is no indication that the production schedule for ordered cars will be affected.

Herbaliser:

Just placed an order for a GT3 scheduled for a late April delivery. The car will NOT be driven on a track. I think I can live without the ceramics. Am I missing something?

Yes... The GT3 is not the best choice IMO for daily use. Especially if you don't plan to use it on track!

Just got a new M5 for a daily driver, plus I am keeping my good old 997.1 TT Cab and the RS6, so enough daily drivers. I've been looking for something more exciting that doesn't cost a fortune and can be serviced in my country. For me right now the GT3 is the most interesting Porsche product. 

As for the usability of the GT3, when I drove a friend's GT2 RS I felt perfectly fine with the suspension and from what I've read I can imagine that the GT3 is much better.

991 GT3 on fire

2014-porsche-911-gt3-9712.jpg

--

SportCarGroup:

991 GT3 on fire

This is an older photo and has been already posted in several other car forums. Actually the only photo of this kind of a single car. There were similar incidents with Carrera models, apparently a cigarette thrown away and sucked in through the rear engine hatch. I wouldn't really take this photo too seriously since we don't know what happened.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I've been at my dealer two days ago, and he showed me pictures five burned GT3's. The reason of the fire was engine fail...

--

SportCarGroup:

I've been at my dealer two days ago, and he showed me pictures five burned GT3's. The reason of the fire was engine fail...

I guess that confirms it then... there were indeed 5 cases. Until now I have thought that people had made it worse than it was.

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

RC:
    SportCarGroup:

991 GT3 on fire

This is an older photo and has been already posted in several other car forums. Actually the only photo of this kind of a single car. There were similar incidents with Carrera models, apparently a cigarette thrown away and sucked in through the rear engine hatch. I wouldn't really take this photo too seriously since we don't know what happened.

Actually... We do know what happened, it has been posted here on RT: 

http://www.toponline.ch/stgallen/detail/art/porsche-in-gossau-ausgebrannt-001661854/

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Burnung cars is a "hot" item... GM even started using it for marketing purposes in Nascar. It certainly attracts attention! indecision

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114021670303/chevrolet-ss-pace-car-goes-up-in-smoke-during-nascar-race

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

All indications on other forums point to bolts/bracket holding the dry sump external reservoir, which fail, cause oil to leak, and catch fire due to proximity of heat exchanger.

This seems a plausible and certainly a repeated statement on porsche forums, but the wording of the porsche statement indicates that they are 'investigating' engine issues, and do not reference the fires nor the oil leakage issue.  While it seems to me, that PAG would have said, 'GT3's in a certain production run need to be retrofit with proper sump bolts to ensure against oil leakage' or the like, I suppose the rumor and the statement are not incongruous. 

We all know that a minor part in a complex machine can cause disaster, and this appears the case here.

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

SportCarGroup:

This sounds interesting (and worrying) but I wonder how a single dealer could have pictures of five different burned GT3s. Smiley Porsche certainly doesn't send any pictures around.  Smiley

--

And Porsche should communicate ASAP!
    Especially for the actual owners...

The previous communication about the delay was very very bad...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM