Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

Grant:
    RC:
     I rather think that the GT3 RS will have 500 hp, 50 kg less and PDK. I also think that this car will have a shorter gearing and only optional comfort goodies (which may be free or not, this remains to be seen). The lack of AWS will be compensated by the lower weight, the lightweight roof, the shorter gearing, the RS specific wheels setup choice and other details. 

I find the part about lower gearing very surprising.  This would require lowering the top speed (which doesn't matter much in USA, but would on Autobahn) or making a tall 7th gear and an annoying gap between 6th and 7th gears.  I really don't expect that it's possible to improve on the GT3's gearing without adding an 8th gear, raising redline to well above 9k (unlikely), or lowering top speed.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I don't think RS owners would mind if the top speed is the same as on the GT3.

Don't kill the messenger, I told you guys before that RS information is very limited (which is kind of dumb because it doesn't matter if the specs are well known earlier, on the contrary, it would help people to make a decision pro or contra GT3) and everything we have so far is solely based on rumors and dealer infos.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Grant:
    RC:
     I rather think that the GT3 RS will have 500 hp, 50 kg less and PDK. I also think that this car will have a shorter gearing and only optional comfort goodies (which may be free or not, this remains to be seen). The lack of AWS will be compensated by the lower weight, the lightweight roof, the shorter gearing, the RS specific wheels setup choice and other details. 

I find the part about lower gearing very surprising.  This would require lowering the top speed (which doesn't matter much in USA, but would on Autobahn) or making a tall 7th gear and an annoying gap between 6th and 7th gears.  I really don't expect that it's possible to improve on the GT3's gearing without adding an 8th gear, raising redline to well above 9k (unlikely), or lowering top speed.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I don't think RS owners would mind if the top speed is the same as on the GT3.

Don't kill the messenger, I told you guys before that RS information is very limited (which is kind of dumb because it doesn't matter if the specs are well known earlier, on the contrary, it would help people to make a decision pro or contra GT3) and everything we have so far is solely based on rumors and dealer infos.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

That's true. Maybe GT3 sales are lower than necessary as potential buyers are forced to wait for new information on the RS to come? If they had more infos they might order the GT3 right away.

MKSGR:

That's true. Maybe GT3 sales are lower than necessary as potential buyers are forced to wait for new information on the RS to come? If they had more infos they might order the GT3 right away.

Rumour has it that the GT3, when properly run in, will have closer to 500bhp, so while the RS may have a 'published' 500bhp, then it will need more in practice to show the requisite gap above the base GT3.

I can't imagine GT3 sales are light - well not least here in the US. If I ordered one now I would be lucky (very) to see it before November/December - and not GT3 driving weather - especially if this year's winter is anything to go by.

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

EnglishManInNY:

I can't imagine GT3 sales are light - well not least here in the US. If I ordered one now I would be lucky (very) to see it before November/December - and not GT3 driving weather - especially if this year's winter is anything to go by.

Not sure about other countries (or actually other dealerships in Germany) but so far, my dealer isn't pleased with GT3 sales.

--

RC:
    EnglishManInNY:

Not sure about other countries (or actually other dealerships in Germany) but so far, my dealer isn't pleased with GT3 sales.

I thought maybe Porsche intentionally sells fewer cars to the US given the lower margins on US sales Smiley

MKSGR:
    RC:
    EnglishManInNY:

I thought maybe Porsche intentionally sells fewer cars to the US given the lower margins on US sales Smiley

There does seem to be excess demand in the US and UK and excess supply in Europe.  But it is unclear whether that is by accident or by design....

Grant:
    RC:

--

Looks like I was both right and wrong, according to this (lower top speed, higher redline, lower gearing):

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/911/85723/porsche-911-gt3-rs-new-details-2014-model

--

Why would you assume car magazines know more than we do?  It makes sense though. 

--

Well, I qualified it "according to this".  You may have known, but you didn't spill the beans about lower Vmax and higher redline (if true) indecisionwink

--

The other thing is that they can't lower gearing too much, or the lower Vmax will start to cause longer laptimes at the Nordschliefe...

--

Grant:

Well, I qualified it "according to this".  You may have known, but you didn't spill the beans about lower Vmax and higher redline (if true) indecisionwink

I don't think RS owners would mind if the top speed is the same as on the GT3

Maybe I should have added "or slightly slower..." Smiley (I still think it is going to be the same on paper).

Honestly, I don't have much on the RS but the few things I heard are quite interesting and make this car very special.

--

Here in the UK you can't get a Gt3 for love nor money. 2 year waiting time last time I enquired.

Porsche Strongly Considering Making 991-Generation GT3 RS Available with a Stick...

The RS version of this 991-gen GT3 will look similar but with more aero madness...

(14 February 2014)

Porsche’s 911 Turbo and Turbo S models are monsters, in a good way, but we’ve typically preferred the purist approach of the naturally aspirated GT3 models. And the current GT3 is no exception; it’s the most desirable 911 on the market. That’s likely to change soon, however. According to Auto Express, development of the über-GT3, the GT3 RS, is under development and being lapped at the Nürburgring by rally legend Walter Röhrl.

The Brits go on to say that the RS will use a newly developed aero package that will utilize complex canards affixed to the car’s front end, yielding a 50 percent increase in downforce versus the standard car. Specially developed tires will reside within further-flared-out fenders hinting at the car’s widened track. The GT3′s 3.8-liter flat-six should get a higher rev ceiling for the RS application, pushing output slightly higher than 475 horsepower.

Auto Express also reports that the GT3 RS will be offered exclusively with Porsche’s PDK seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox. We’ve been told, however, that the Stuttgart-based sports-car maker is strongly considering making a manual transmission available. As the GT3′s sole transmission choice is the PDK, we’re hoping our sources are right and the hairiest of 911s can be stick-shifted.

Full details on the Porsche 911 GT3 RS should become clearer in the next month, as Porsche is expected to debut the car soon.

Smiley SmileySmiley

I personally doubt it.  We shall see.....  anyone want to put some money on it?  :)

Porsche might estimate that there are up to 5,000 existing GT3 / RS customers that would be interested in a manual transmission in a new 991 GT3 / RS model. Assuming an average price of around $150,000+ per vehicle, that represents potential incremental sales revenue to Porsche of up to $750 million... Smiley

On that basis, it seems highly likely that Porsche would consider offering a new 991 GT3 / RS model with a manual transmission for existing GT3 / RS customers... driving.gif

Smiley SmileySmiley

But it's against Porsche's tradition to put out a slower car...................

--

That would for sure boost the RS sales and equally hurt the GT3 sales.

I as well doubt it, the car would be slower, it would cost a lot more to offer both PDK and manual, and Porsche would have to admit that their "PDK für alle" approach has failed.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche might estimate that there are up to 5,000 existing GT3 / RS customers that would be interested in a manual transmission in a new 991 GT3 / RS model. Assuming an average price of around $150,000+ per vehicle, that represents potential incremental sales revenue to Porsche of up to $750 million... Smiley

On that basis, it seems highly likely that Porsche would consider offering a new 991 GT3 / RS model with a manual transmission for existing GT3 / RS customers... driving.gif

Smiley SmileySmiley

I think you forgot the additional cost of R&D, testing and supplying in your equation Smiley

As to the 5000... is that before or after those 5000 have actually tried a GT3 with PDK? Smiley I think even the most hardcore purist fanboys will doubt their need for a manual once they tried the PDK in the GT3. Especially on a track.

--

Previous
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells

bluelines:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

I think you forgot the additional cost of R&D, testing and supplying in your equation Smiley

As to the 5000... is that before or after those 5000 have actually tried a GT3 with PDK? Smiley I think even the most hardcore purist fanboys will doubt their need for a manual once they tried the PDK in the GT3. Especially on a track.

+991 Smiley

After all the pointless debates of manual vs. PDK, I still don't get the whole sentimental thing about those ancient manuals and the "involvement"-thing. Yes, I like manuals too from time to time (have one in my Boxster), but I would be glad to trade it for a PDK! 

Why on earth would Porsche offer a manual in their most track orientated 911 roadcar?! That's like putting winter tyres on a car when there's a heatwave. It surely can be done, but it's kinda pointless....Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:
    bluelines:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

+991 Smiley

After all the pointless debates of manual vs. PDK, I still don't get the whole sentimental thing about those ancient manuals and the "involvement"-thing. Yes, I like manuals too from time to time (have one in my Boxster), but I would be glad to trade it for a PDK! 

Why on earth would Porsche offer a manual in their most track orientated 911 roadcar?! That's like putting winter tyres on a car when there's a heatwave. It surely can be done, but it's kinda pointless....Smiley

c'mon suzy, just as you think retro beetle-911's are beautiful, some people enjoy retro manual shifting. i myself prefer a double clutch, but there is no denying that it takes away involvement. and for some this is more important than the color of the stitching in the car's interior.

SuzyF:
    bluelines:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

+991 Smiley

I'd suggest no more pointless than those who elect to shoot with a manual Leica...for some the human engagement is an - if not the - essential aspect of the GT3 RS experience....

the creation of a beautifully timed rev match...downshift..and clutch engage..as you ...not the computers ...balance the car ...and the grin erupts....most choice.

decrying something as "ancient"...suggests technological advancement only begets better......i think that is a limited, rather exclusionary perspective.

For Porsche - as indeed Audi continues to do with the R8 - perhaps there is a growing recognition that the hard core , long term, stuttgart's finest "idolising" enthusiast represents a very high value customer segment that warrants .....dare I say it....service....

and if those individuals want a manual, no RWS car..(and that might just happen to also meet  homologation needs)...so much the better....for us nutter petrolheads.

I would be astonished if the RS was manual only....but also as with the R8...i would hope/expect the customer is given a choice.....even if I select PDK-S when my 991 RS rocks up....

andyFE:
    SuzyF:
    bluelines:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

+991 Smiley

c'mon suzy, just as you think retro beetle-911's are beautiful, some people enjoy retro manual shifting. i myself prefer a double clutch, but there is no denying that it takes away involvement. and for some this is more important than the color of the stitching in the car's interior.

Ah now I get it... i'm not allowed to be critical, but you can bash the 911 anytime you want.....good to know.  Smiley Simply pathetic....

just for your info... i was trying to get a reaction and it went exactly the way I was expecting it.  I don't care about manuals and PDK... Everyone should get or like what he or she wants.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

no, you don't get it. i am not bashing the 911, i had one and will have one again. i am just trying to understand the hardcore fraction as well as the 'softies'. and btw, i am certainly more part of the latter than the former but ...vivere e lasciar vivere

To me there is only one car for the hardcore purist... 964 RS. Manual, air-cooled, no electronics. Of course, some people think this one is for the softies too and the only car good enough is the '73 RS.

Which leads us to the problem with this so called hardcore crowd: they want the latest model which must be better than the last model (or they start to moan), but not change in any aspect (or they start to moan). Then they log on to some Internet forum, wank over performance figures and start bashing the car for not being 0.001 seconds faster to 300 km/h. 

The 600+ hp, 10'000 max rpm, <1'200kg, air-cooled, mechanical steering, manual transmission, <7:00 mins around the Ring, unicorn car.

Le me know when it is presented 

--

Previous

bluelines:

The 600+ hp, 10'000 max rpm, <1'200kg, air-cooled, mechanical steering, manual transmission, <7:00 mins around the Ring, unicorn car.

Something near this specification is the Ferrari 312T in which Niki Lauda was first to lap the NBR (2 kilometers longer than today) in under 7:00 mins.

Little less power but also much less weight and water cooled. If you find one it would cost some $2million.

Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    bluelines:

Something near this specification is the Ferrari 312T in which Niki Lauda was first to lap the NBR in under 7:00 mins.

Little less power but also much less weight and water cooled. If you find one it would cost some $2million.

Exactly. A race car, driven by a professional race car driver. We all know how that ended. Smiley

--

Previous

Whoopsy - the 997 GT2 was slower than the 997.2 Turbo S off the line and to 100.  Porsche certainly does make 'slower' cars for more money.

The bottom line is Porsche will build it if it makes business sense.  Period.  Regardless of how much be lobby in either direction.  My vote is still for a sequential manual - but that is just what I would do regardless of it making sense for Porsche.

What I can not understand it this  - PDK fans want to have ONLY PDK and nothing else, almost like having a manual option will make their PDK less fun!  Perhaps no one will question their man (woman) - hood if there is no choice. 

On the other hand Manual fans only want to have a CHOICE,  They do not want to make Porsche stop building or offering PDK, they do not argue about the speed or performance benefits - all they want is extra involvement. 

How does having a choice to drive a manual affect or in any way hinder a PDK owners enjoyment? 

It reminds me of conservatives vs liberals - If a conservative wants to be a vegetarian he stops eating meat.  If a liberal wants to be a vegetarian he makes everyone stop eating meat.  If a manual driver wants a manual he goes and buys one, if a PDK driver wants to drive a PDK car he insists everyone drives a PDK car.

BTW - Road and Track did a road test of a 991 S with a manual more than a year ago when it first came out and recently tested a PDK version of the 991 S.  The manual was quicker to 60, 100 and 1/4 mile.  Look it up in the back of you Road and Track road test summaries.  It certainly does not take me as long to shift as some of you PDK fans assume - especially is I need to go from 6th to 3rd.

Leawood911:

BTW - Road and Track did a road test of a 991 S with a manual more than a year ago when it first came out and recently tested a PDK version of the 991 S.  The manual was quicker to 60, 100 and 1/4 mile.  Look it up in the back of you Road and Track road test summaries.  It certainly does not take me as long to shift as some of you PDK fans assume - especially is I need to go from 6th to 3rd.

That is why I don't read Road and Track Smiley

You don't need a stop watch to figure out the PDK is well faster than then manual. 

--

bluelines:
    Leawood911:

That is why I don't read Road and Track Smiley

You don't need a stop watch to figure out the PDK is well faster than then manual. 

I agree for the most part - but it depends.  In some situations the manual will be quicker.  Keep in mind that PDK is preselecing the next gear - IF that is one you want then you are good to go.  How about 6-3, a frequent shift when going 60mph and wanting full power. There is little chance that PDK will have preselected 3rd - and then you get the strange transmission noises you hear of.  Eventually you tailor your driving to the PDK, I guess. 

Rarely does all driving boil down to a drag race from a dead stop.   Also, I don't know about you but every one of my Porsches has had problems starting at some point in time (997 and the cable from the started to the harness) and with a manual you can always push them to start and avoid costly tows and ultimate Porsche owners embarrasement.  I bet I could list hundreds of reasons why I prefer a manual but that is not the point.

Back to Road and track - test times are clearly not repeatable regardless of which magazine so it is all just a pissing contest - in the end it is up to what a driver prefers and his own rationale.  As it should be.  I endorse having the choice to shift, that is all.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689891 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409410 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255819 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235060 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858159 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774259 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM