Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

frayed:

Corvettes have always been great performers.  But (i) you have to be willing to be seen in one, 

wooow, can it be any worse to be seen in a corvettes than in an F458? some demanding folk around here....joking apart, i cannot really relate to the bad image the corvette has in the US (stemming probably from the typical clients). i never even sat in one but find it quite attractive, certainly more attractive than the three times as expensive turbo S (you should see the turbo clients in austria....ohhh boy....).

(ii) build quality is always suspect, and (iii) they have never felt as precise or as stout as 911s in general.

But for a track weapon or if on a budget they are killer machines.

PBS2010:
    igirl:
    PBS2010:

PS

on top of that, the Corvette was on its regular tires which are not as sticky as those fitted on the GT3

The Corvette made a good / great lap time. But not as great as the GT3's one. So what's the point?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What’s the point?  The basic point is that the Corvette Stingray, also tested in the same (great) magazine, is as fast in the corners as the GT3.  That is the short version.  A variant of this short version is that if you bought your car for track time only, you may have wasted your money!

Do you own or have ever owned either of the 991 GT3 or Corvette Stingray?

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

bluelines:
    PBS2010:
    igirl:
    PBS2010:

PS

on top of that, the Corvette was on its regular tires which are not as sticky as those fitted on the GT3

The Corvette made a good / great lap time. But not as great as the GT3's one. So what's the point?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What’s the point?  The basic point is that the Corvette Stingray, also tested in the same (great) magazine, is as fast in the corners as the GT3.  That is the short version.  A variant of this short version is that if you bought your car for track time only, you may have wasted your money!

Do you own or have ever owned either of the 991 GT3 or Corvette Stingray?

+1

i was wondering the same thing.Smiley It looks more like trolling than someone who really knows what he's talking about....

Unfortunately,  I see this happen on other forums too. More and more discussions about Corvette and GT-R on Porsche orientated topics than before. If one likes a Corvette or a Gt-R more than a GT3 or whatever Porsche, than it's OK. Nothing wrong with that, but why are they looking for affirmation on a Porsche topic? Everybody needs to buy what he or she likes. Other people's opinions are not important. If they are, then that person is doing something wrong in life.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

well, the car is  about 3 seconds slower and has a similar power/weight… and corner speeds only tell half the story (especially in tight turns)… a front-midengine car has to be driven differently to a rear engine car (i.e. carrying more speed through corner vs v. late apex, sharp turn in and applying throttle early on a RR car in tight corners) .. and hence also much higher peak velocity on the straight (slower turn in, earlier on the throttle -> higher speed) …  and as you said, in the more fluent direction changes the GT3 murdered the C7 … and tbh… on a track, where there are about 10 - 12 turns and one only has data of 4 turns - and their low-peak velocity - … well one can't really draw a conclusion out of that alone xD … if we had sector times or at least onboard footage we could look at the corners more closely but we haven't… at the end there is a difference of almost 3 seconds and thats what counts … or look for example at the Carrera S speeds… is the 991S as fast as the Gt3 through corners and in some even a lot quicker? Nope, just these speeds just tell one almost nothing xD

okay, the tires of the GT3 were better… but the PSS ZP for the Corvette are also not too bad and over a single 1.5 min lap the difference aint 3 seconds… on the other hand the Stingray was quicker than the 3.8 RS (which was on Cups) and that is a great achievement too … 

Vettes. . . let me clarify.  The 'seen in' it comment; was a bit tongue in cheek.  Here in teh US they are common and the new stingray had its high points.  And in some ways less garish than the massively winged GT3.  But, it's foolish to think that GM all of a sudden built a Porsche equivalent with this generation. 

Brutally fast does not equal better.  I traded a buddy of mine for a day; his Z06 and my then current, much slower and mundane 997S.

After one day he didn't want to give mine back and I couldn't wait to get out of his ride.  Numb, imprecise, and overall sloppy relative to the 997S.  Scalpel or sledgehammer?  You pick.

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

Sidicks2:
    RC:

I am sorry that you feel that way. If you have complaints, please PM me.

The thing is: I accept criticism, even up to a point where it just reflects pure opportunism but when the number of opportunistic posts actually beats the number of posts filled with arguments (no matter how accurate or true they are), it gets really annoying. No offense meant.

Now we should let the others continue the GT3 discussion...(I was serious about the PM...I am a good listener).

How could I have Pm'd you when you'd taken my access away without explanation?

Smiley

You got a few warning shots and there is Email too. Just saying. Now back to topic. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

SuzyF:
    Unfortunately,  I see this happen on other forums too. More and more discussions about Corvette and GT-R on Porsche orientated topics than before. If one likes a Corvette or a Gt-R more than a GT3 or whatever Porsche, than it's OK. Nothing wrong with that, but why are they looking for affirmation on a Porsche topic? Everybody needs to buy what he or she likes. Other people's opinions are not important. If they are, then that person is doing something wrong in life.

Simple: They want to feel good about having spent less money for their toy and at the same time, they want others (GT3 owners) to look like asses because they spent much more for their toy. Human nature. Smiley

Just ignore. Last week, I met a guy at my dealership who drove a GT-R. Not sure what he did there (he was roaming the showroom) but he noticed my Turbo S and started to explain to me why he would nether spend that much money for a car when another car (his GT-R apparently) would deliver the same for half the money. This idiot followed me around and kept talking and talking, he was so pathetic and I had to refrain myself from telling him what I really think. Smiley Interesting reply when I asked him which car delivers the same for half the money: He was grinning, not saying anything. Well... Smiley I am pretty sure that he was only there to annoy people.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    You got a few warning shots and there is Email too.  Smiley

1) What warnings?

2) In which of the forum rules does it say that you can't disagree (politely and using facts to support your argument) with a moderator?  I'm not the only one who has pointed out that your claims about the Turbo S v GT3 aren't entirely backed about by independent testing.

3) Surely your role as moderator isn't to stifle debate and to ban anyone who contradicts your opinions?

4) I sent two emails asking for a reason why my ID appeared to have been blacklisted and did not get a response on either occasion.  

More and more (track) tests are showing the GT3 as the faster car, supporting my opinion.

Smiley

I'm not saying the GT3 is better than the Turbo S - I'll happily admit that the Turbo S is the better all rounder and faster for most drivers in real world (road, not track) conditions.  However, it shouldn't be surprising that however well the engineers have managed to belie the weight of the Turbo S, they cannot re-write the laws of physics, meaning that on track the GT3 will tend to be faster, depending on conditions.

For what I want from a car, the GT3 meets my needs.  If I'd have wanted more of an all rounder, I could equally have justified spending more money on the Turbo S.

Like I said...back to topic (and just for the book, I'm not a moderator).

Comparing the Turbo S to the GT3 is pointless, we should really focus on the real competitors. Which ones? Well...good question. There are none. indecision

--

RC:

Like I said...back to topic (and just for the book, I'm not a moderator).

Comparing the Turbo S to the GT3 is pointless, we should really focus on the real competitors. Which ones? Well...good question. There are none. indecision

Smiley

hmmm, .....the RS :::))))

andyFE:

hmmm, .....the RS :::))))

Not really. All rumors indicate that this won't be a very good street car, at least not as forgiving as the GT3.

--

As Buckaroo Bonzai said, "no matter where you go, there you are".   Living happily with one's choices is essential.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:

As Buckaroo Bonzai said, "no matter where you go, there you are".   Living happily with one's choices is essential.

Indeed (you know that Buckaroo Bonzai is a fictional character? Smiley) but if people find out that they cannot live with their choice, it can be a pretty expensive experience. Hundreds of thousands of divorced marriages are the best proof. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    DaveC:

Indeed (you know that Buckaroo Bonzai is a fictional character? Smiley) but if people find out that they cannot live with their choice, it can be a pretty expensive experience. Hundreds of thousands of divorced marriages are the best proof. Smiley Smiley

RC are you sure he doesn't live somewhere on South Beach? Smiley

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:

that is truly a great one.......in theory. but in practice it is soooo hard to live by this rule...at least for some:::)))

RC:
    SuzyF:

Simple: They want to feel good about having spent less money for their toy and at the same time, they want others (GT3 owners) to look like asses because they spent much more for their toy. Human nature. .

That is certainly not my motive when I discuss the Vette and other cheaper cars.  I would rather have a Porsche (not because of status symbol, but because I like the rear-engined driving dynamics), but I am not willing to pay for that with an unlimited open checkbook.  There is a limit to what the Porsche driving dynamics are "worth" to me.

I love that cars like the GT-R and Vette might cause Porsche to deliver a little better performance per price ratio.  In my mind, there is a limit to what people will pay for the Porsche premium.  I wish I was wealthy enough not to care about the price, but then if price were no object, there is also a good chance that I'd buy something other than a brand new Porsche also.  Porsche needs to be conscious of where they price the cars and how they specify them with respect to performance.  Competition is good for the customer!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    RC:
    SuzyF:

Simple: They want to feel good about having spent less money for their toy and at the same time, they want others (GT3 owners) to look like asses because they spent much more for their toy. Human nature. .

That is certainly not my motive when I discuss the Vette and other cheaper cars.  I would rather have a Porsche (not because of status symbol, but because I like the rear-engined driving dynamics), but I am not willing to pay for that with an unlimited open checkbook.  There is a limit to what the Porsche driving dynamics are "worth" to me.

I love that cars like the GT-R and Vette might cause Porsche to deliver a little better performance per price ratio.  In my mind, there is a limit to what people will pay for the Porsche premium.  I wish I was wealthy enough not to care about the price, but then if price were no object, there is also a good chance that I'd buy something other than a brand new Porsche also.  Porsche needs to be conscious of where they price the cars and how they specify them with respect to performance.  Competition is good for the customer!

Terrific post!Smiley

FWIW, though I am getting a GT3 there is no doubt in my mind that the TT and TTS are far away better DD cars. I cannot think of a better DD car assuming  the owner also has either a sedan or SUV for family functions. The GT3 was never designed to be a DD car though Porsche did make it more pliant for DD driving. 

Smiley and ive been saying that for a while, porsche is way off with their current price/performance ratio and they will lose customers because of it. All i wanted was a 600 hp, 3500 lbs 4wd TT with a proper manual transmission for about 130-140k, was that so hard to doSmiley?

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

DaveC:
    RC:
    DaveC:

I hope you don't mean the same guy I mean? Could be. He definitely lives the cool life. Smiley

--

RC:
    DaveC:
    RC:
    DaveC:

I hope you don't mean the same guy I mean? Could be. He definitely lives the cool life.

We're on the same page. Just a little attempt at humor.  I don't think a 1980s film character would be even known to the South Beach crowd. 

--

Those wheels have got to go. Yuck!

nberry:

Consider yourself lucky that you don't need winter tires. These are the only factory approved CL winter wheels available right now and yes, they are the same as on the Turbo S. 

--

nberry:

IMO opinion they suit the GT3 more than the Turbo. But the originals are better looking.

--

"Form follows function"

I have no issues with those wheels.

Turbo wheels should stay with Turbo angry But GT3 in yellow looks damn GOOD!! angel

--

wheels ugly as on their original deployment, yellow GT3 looks goooood

RC:
    nberry:

Consider yourself lucky that you don't need winter tires. These are the only factory approved CL winter wheels available right now and yes, they are the same as on the Turbo S. 

How come the CL rims are further inside the wheel well on the GT3, although the car´s chassis is narrower than the Turbo´s? That looks as if the Turbo does not share the same suspension components with the other models anymore. Smiley

Not sure about the yellow GT3... yes Somehow I don't like the color Racing Yellow. Speed Yellow of the previous generations looked so much better IMHO.

These wheels don't look good on the GT3. They look awesome on the Turbo, but GT3 needs its original wheels. Why don't people just put winter tyres on the original wheels? Or don't they fit?

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774119 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439919 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261860 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260146 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879055 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813776 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM