Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

KresoF1:

Erik, Dario and rest of potential 991 GT3 RS buyers,

I asked my P source about few things regarding 991 GT3 RS and info that we got here on rennteam is right on the mark.

BUT... He also told me something little bit disturbing-car will be pretty much most extreme RS so far.

Few remarks from his email:

"If you plan to use it as daily driver forget about it. Car is very extreme and not designed at all for daily usage. It is ultimate weekend toy for deserted windy road or fast laps around the Ring. Dry tarmac is essential for new RS since tires are even more extreme in design then the ones on GT3."

"Normal GT3 is way better choice for normal usage, although even it is not the best choice for daily driver job."

"Price wise new RS will be around €40K more on domestic German market and car will be pretty basic in standard equipment. There will be very limited exterior colors choice, same about wheels."

Thanks for confirming this. People need to understand what they are getting. Many will be happy but some will be disappointed. An extreme track setup won't make you a better driver and especially on the street, this car will be no fun. Unless of course, like I pointed out earlier, you have perfect streets and still your original set of teeth. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
     like I pointed out earlier, you have perfect streets and still your original set of teeth. Smiley Smiley

The Person of Porsche  i talked with by email,tell me that he think i will have a lot of fun on twisty costal road around the Lugano's lake...(testual words)Smiley ,that before to tell me to have fun also on a race track.Smiley

so,ok will be track focused,but a car to have "fun" also on normal streets...i don't remember road around the lake are so perfect....Smiley

I don't whant to publish in public his name,due was really kindly answering my email,but believe me is not the last employee in the GT3 RS project SmileySmiley

good luck to us...Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Grant:
    KresoF1:
    "If you plan to use it as daily driver forget about it. Car is very extreme and not designed at all for daily usage. It is ultimate weekend toy for deserted windy road or fast laps around the Ring. Dry tarmac is essential for new RS since tires are even more extreme in design then the ones on GT3."

Remarks like these make me continue to wonder whether a true sequential gearbox might be included (not PDK)?

Like I have always indicated!  Mark my words (from long ago) - there will be a real clutch and a sequencial gearbox.  Every new detail emerging points that way including all this talk of it being a track car and too racial for the street as a DD. 

Leawood911:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

Remarks like these make me continue to wonder whether a true sequential gearbox might be included (not PDK)?

Like I have always indicated!  Mark my words (from long ago) - there will be a real clutch and a sequencial gearbox.  Every new detail emerging points that way including all this talk of it being a track car and too racial for the street as a DD. 

What exactly in the quoted text indicates that it will have a "real" (manually operated, I assume you mean?) clutch, as opposed to PDK?

No sequential manual in forthcoming 991 GT3 RS.

According to my P source(who is viewing rennteam from time to time) some members here are pretty wild in their imagination...

KresoF1:

According to my P source(who is viewing rennteam from time to time) some members here are pretty wild in their imagination...

No, for real? What a shocker. 

Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

I simply have hard core dreams!

KresoF1:

Then why is it so unsuitable for the road - just very low and stiff suspension?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    KresoF1:

A GT3RS not suitable for the road Smiley Would be a totally new strategy of Porsche...

Don't worry too much - I would be surprised if the car was not suitable as a daily driver (for real sportscar drivers, of course)...

MKSGR:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

A GT3RS not suitable for the road Smiley Would be a totally new strategy of Porsche...

Don't worry too much - I would be surprised if the car was not suitable as a daily driver (for real sportscar drivers, of course)...

i remember AP say 'now that the GT3 has become widespread in terms of its usability spectrum the RS can become more extreme'. no idea what this means specifically.

andyFE:
    MKSGR:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

i remember AP say 'now that the GT3 has become widespread in terms of its usability spectrum the RS can become more extreme'. no idea what this means specifically.

Interesting question indeed... Some day (maybe even today) they could just fit a manual shift and then call the car extreme Smiley

Extreme RS ?

Loud ? No A/C / PCM ? Clunky Gearbox ? Bucket seats ? Super Stiff springs ? Single seater ? I may fall in love with Porsche again angel since my last SUV's were a bad experience with all the electronic nonsense

In case there was any doubt that 'Angry Pumpkin' used a sequencial Manual gearbox (perhaps directly from the cup car).  He could have upshifted without the clutch to show the true speed of the gearbox.

MKSGR:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

Markus, the GT3 received a lot of praise but also a lot of criticism. So apparently they went ahead with a more extreme RS version, also considering the fact that people apparently seem to be willing to pay over 40k EUR more for this version, allowing them a little bit more leeway during development. For street driving, there is the GT3. They do not need another car which is "good" for street driving. Nobody really expects that from the GT3 RS, even if previous versions were quite good for normal roads.

The most extreme figure I heard was 520 hp, 50 kg less and a sequential gearbox. I rather think that the GT3 RS will have 500 hp, 50 kg less and PDK. I also think that this car will have a shorter gearing and only optional comfort goodies (which may be free or not, this remains to be seen). The lack of AWS will be compensated by the lower weight, the lightweight roof, the shorter gearing, the RS specific wheels setup choice and other details. 

Please take the above with a grain of salt, RS information is very limited right now and (trustable) rumors are hard to get by. Dealers (not necessarily the sales persons) have a bit more information but I'm not sure they can part it with customers (yet).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

Markus, the GT3 received a lot of praise but also a lot of criticism. So apparently they went ahead with a more extreme RS version, also considering the fact that people apparently seem to be willing to pay over 40k EUR more for this version, allowing them a little bit more leeway during development. For street driving, there is the GT3. They do not need another car which is "good" for street driving. Nobody really expects that from the GT3 RS, even if previous versions were quite good for normal roads.

The most extreme figure I heard was 520 hp, 50 kg less and a sequential gearbox. I rather think that the GT3 RS will have 500 hp, 50 kg less and PDK. I also think that this car will have a shorter gearing and only optional comfort goodies (which may be free or not, this remains to be seen). The lack of AWS will be compensated by the lower weight, the lightweight roof, the shorter gearing, the RS specific wheels setup choice and other details. 

Please take the above with a grain of salt, RS information is very limited right now and (trustable) rumors are hard to get by. Dealers (not necessarily the sales persons) have a bit more information but I'm not sure they can part it with customers (yet).

Christian, this sounds like reasonable specs for the GT3RS. If you think about it, this is all very similar to GT3RS 4.0 and GT2RS - similar package: more power, more special setup, less weight and about Euro 40k or 50k higher price. However, who would argue the 4.0 or GT2RS were not well suited for road use? It might well be that Porsche is telling this story of "not so suited for the road" (unofficially, of course) to help the GT3 sales figures... I am sure the GT3RS will be a terrific car SmileySmileySmiley

certainly the tyres could be more extreme and thus worse on wet roads.

MKSGR:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

Markus,

Is 991 GT3 for example really usable sa daily driver the same way that 991 Turbo S can be used?

I know that you are "at home" with various 911 GT models, but IMHO(and based on my short test drive of 991 GT3) 991 Turbo/Turbo S are better cars for bad weather or city driving conditions.

Even more interesting I know a person in Austria who owns new 991 GT3 with Club Sport Package and never intent to drive it on the track. He is a Lawyer and goes to Court wearing Armani suit in new GT3... I have my special opinion about this kind of sportscar fans,,,

KresoF1:
    MKSGR:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

Markus,

Is 991 GT3 for example really usable sa daily driver the same way that 991 Turbo S can be used?

I know that you are "at home" with various 911 GT models, but IMHO(and based on my short test drive of 991 GT3) 991 Turbo/Turbo S are better cars for bad weather or city driving conditions.

Even more interesting I know a person in Austria who owns new 991 GT3 with Club Sport Package and never intent to drive it on the track. He is a Lawyer and goes to Court wearing Armani suit in new GT3... I have my special opinion about this kind of sportscar fans,,,

I see your point. These cars are not suitable as daily drivers for everybody. You have to like the direct feel these cars provide all the time Smiley BTW, for bad weather the turbo/turbo S is also not the ideal car. Tires are too wide, there is too much power. Let's face it: in bad weather you can drive all Porsches (including all GT models) - however, it is a waste. You just add miles without getting the fun you expect from them Smiley

Your last sentence is something that I fully agree with.

My A6 3.0TDI(313ps biturbo) is excellent at current bad weather with snow tires. There is no point to drive even 991 Turbo S at snow...

BTW, interesting times ahead, many new models will be introduced this year. Belive it or not the one that I am mostly interested in is new AMG GT. Even my P source spoke with respect about it(smaller and lighter then outgoing SLS AMG and at the same time ven faster on the Ring).

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:
    MKSGR:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

Markus,

I see your point. These cars are not suitable as daily drivers for everybody. You have to like the direct feel these cars provide all the time Smiley BTW, for bad weather the turbo/turbo S is also not the ideal car. Tires are too wide, there is too much power. Let's face it: in bad weather you can drive all Porsches (including all GT models) - however, it is a waste. You just add miles without getting the fun you expect from them Smiley

good point. but if you live, say, in central europe and go to, say, monte carlo around xmas time for the great roads there, then you don't take your all weather beater, do you? :::))))

KresoF1:

My A6 3.0TDI(313ps biturbo) is excellent at current bad weather with snow tires. There is no point to drive even 991 Turbo S at snow...

With age comes wisdom Smiley Your car is an excellent choice, BTW Smiley

andyFE:

good point. but if you live, say, in central europe and go to, say, monte carlo around xmas time for the great roads there, then you don't take your all weather beater, do you? :::))))

That's true. But honestly, today I would probably just fly there and have a rental car to drive around. 10 years ago I would have driven down there all the way, though Smiley

well, for me those are precisely the moments where i want my car and this is why i am spending all the money. in my city i do not even need a car. so for me some bad weather drivability is essential. going at 70 km/h on the highway even in light downpours is not funny...

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

Hey, you stole that from meSmiley

Now you have to pay me a royalty fee (I remind you when we meet in Miami Smiley...I love steaks).

--

the main porsche dealer in vienna (definitely not a bullshitter) claimed today that he will get the first of his four RS (all taken + 2 customers waiting list) in july or august latest.

i still have a guaranteed allocation at a different dealership in vienna (first out of one total) but will most likely renege on it.

andyFE:

the main porsche dealer in vienna (definitely not a bullshitter) claimed today that he will get the first of his four RS (all taken + 2 customers waiting list) in july or august latest.

i still have a guaranteed allocation at a different dealership in vienna (first out of one total) but will most likely renege on it.

If cars land in July then the premiere would take place at Geneva, to allow for spec and build time. 

--

RS60 Spyder, 991 GT3 RS pending :)

really don't know how trustworthy this is. though normally, this dealer has reliable info, he also told me today that no way can he get me a GT3 with the specs i want before june 30 (on july 1 there is a BIG tax increase in austria making the GT3 and the turbo S MUCH more expensive, by 20-25K euro, to compensate for the plunders of our previous governments). he told me this although i had the cheque book ready to write out the cheque (finally, after a long thought process), which speaks for him. 

RS too hardcore, so i am stuck with my F458::::)))) until the P960 or the F458 successor appear. 

RC:
    MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

Hey, you stole that from meSmiley

Now you have to pay me a royalty fee (I remind you when we meet in Miami Smiley...I love steaks).

--

Steak sounds like the perfect royalty Smiley

RC:
     I rather think that the GT3 RS will have 500 hp, 50 kg less and PDK. I also think that this car will have a shorter gearing and only optional comfort goodies (which may be free or not, this remains to be seen). The lack of AWS will be compensated by the lower weight, the lightweight roof, the shorter gearing, the RS specific wheels setup choice and other details. 

I find the part about lower gearing very surprising.  This would require lowering the top speed (which doesn't matter much in USA, but would on Autobahn) or making a tall 7th gear and an annoying gap between 6th and 7th gears.  I really don't expect that it's possible to improve on the GT3's gearing without adding an 8th gear, raising redline to well above 9k (unlikely), or lowering top speed.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

if it's truly track focused, a 185mph top speed and 7 gears would make it significantly faster in real world conditions

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752981 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430650 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255445 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868260 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801802 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM