Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

SuzyF:
    turbolite:

Is that a picture of the same car?  The wheels change between the pictures, leading me to believe that it may be two different cars, possibly with different power plants.  Porsche e-tron?

I guess they will habe to seriously step up performance for the Carrera S. At the pricepoint it is being sold here in Switzerland it schould at least have 450 hp! 

Just think about the recent announcements out of the VAG group. The 2.0 liter engine og Golf R and Audi S3 will be available with 370 HP (!!!) meaning  that the RS version might touch 420 HP. We Are talking 996TT power territory here!! 

So 400 HP will not cut it anymore in my opinion. Perhaps we will see a bifurcation like a smaller turbo base version and an aspirated on the top. Or maybe both go down the downsizing and turbo path. But something has to happen....

You are of course right, but to me, the hp figure isn't the most important. 400 or 450 hp... Both are nice, but the engine lacks torque. Especially low-end torque. More torque would make the car "feel" a lot quicker.  Downsized turbocharged engine should solve that problem. But it would bring a different problem. Lack of respons, revs and sound. Smiley

I'm very curious what they are gonna do with the engines....

The reports of the revised VW EA888 four cylinder engine with outputs approaching 375 bhp and 380 pound-foot of torque should be very troubling to Porsche, especially when that motor is found in the next generation Audi TT.  Many may argue that the Audi TT will never perform well enough to challenge the Boxster/Cayman pair, and especially the 911; however, when one factors in the price differential, at different calculus is met.  Don't forget that the TT's all-wheel drive system, and that found in the current VW Golf R, is a similar Haldex set-up to that found in the new Lamborghini Huracan.  

Many have watched the introduction video of the Huracan and have noted that the car was capable of performing "doughnuts," thusly indicating a significant rearward drive bias.  And also consider that the next generation TT introduces a new electronics architecture, and that the previous R8, and consequently, the Gallardo, shared a high percentage their electrical architecture, so a similar sharing of systems could happen with the next model too.  Therefore, the 991 might find difficulty matching the performance of a less costly family stablemate.  

Fortunately, Porsche has an excellent team of engineers to meet the new challenges.

CGX car nut:

The reports of the revised VW EA888 four cylinder engine with outputs approaching 375 bhp and 380 pound-foot of torque should be very troubling to Porsche, especially when that motor is found in the next generation Audi TT.  Many may argue that the Audi TT will never perform well enough to challenge the Boxster/Cayman pair, and especially the 911; however, when one factors in the price differential, at different calculus is met.

Firstly, it is not troubling. It is good. Both brands belong to VW and have their market segments. If Audi advances, so will Porsche. 

Secondly, few people buy a Porsche only because the hp figure. These people buy a car like the TT. Hence the TT will never compete with the Boxster/Cayman/911. Smiley

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

bluelines:
    CGX car nut:

The reports of the revised VW EA888 four cylinder engine with outputs approaching 375 bhp and 380 pound-foot of torque should be very troubling to Porsche, especially when that motor is found in the next generation Audi TT.  Many may argue that the Audi TT will never perform well enough to challenge the Boxster/Cayman pair, and especially the 911; however, when one factors in the price differential, at different calculus is met.

Firstly, it is not troubling. It is good. Both brands belong to VW and have their market segments. If Audi advances, so will Porsche. 

Secondly, few people buy a Porsche only because the hp figure. These people buy a car like the TT. Hence the TT will never compete with the Boxster/Cayman/911. Smiley

Whilst the companies are all part of the same group, the allocation of capital and resources are predicated on each unit's financial performance.  

Porsche is effectively pricing itself out of several markets including the United States with each new variant.  The 991 sold strongly because it was a new entrant into the marketplace; however, many dealers are very well stocked, almost to the point of having excess inventories on hand.  It is true that Audi TT is a poor substitute for the 991, and few sales will be lost, but the larger problem is with Cayman, and to a lesser extent, the Boxster, if the TT becomes a stronger performer, with greater horsepower.  One caveat, the Audi TT sold in the United States, does not have the smaller output motors found, for example, in the EU.  

CGX car nut:
    SuzyF:
    turbolite:

Is that a picture of the same car?  The wheels change between the pictures, leading me to believe that it may be two different cars, possibly with different power plants.  Porsche e-tron?

I guess they will habe to seriously step up performance for the Carrera S. At the pricepoint it is being sold here in Switzerland it schould at least have 450 hp! 

Just think about the recent announcements out of the VAG group. The 2.0 liter engine og Golf R and Audi S3 will be available with 370 HP (!!!) meaning  that the RS version might touch 420 HP. We Are talking 996TT power territory here!! 

So 400 HP will not cut it anymore in my opinion. Perhaps we will see a bifurcation like a smaller turbo base version and an aspirated on the top. Or maybe both go down the downsizing and turbo path. But something has to happen....

You are of course right, but to me, the hp figure isn't the most important. 400 or 450 hp... Both are nice, but the engine lacks torque. Especially low-end torque. More torque would make the car "feel" a lot quicker.  Downsized turbocharged engine should solve that problem. But it would bring a different problem. Lack of respons, revs and sound. Smiley

The reports of the revised VW EA888 four cylinder engine with outputs approaching 375 bhp and 380 pound-foot of torque should be very troubling to Porsche, especially when that motor is found in the next generation Audi TT.  Many may argue that the Audi TT will never perform well enough to challenge the Boxster/Cayman pair, and especially the 911; however, when one factors in the price differential, at different calculus is met.  Don't forget that the TT's all-wheel drive system, and that found in the current VW Golf R, is a similar Haldex set-up to that found in the new Lamborghini Huracan.  

Many have watched the introduction video of the Huracan and have noted that the car was capable of performing "doughnuts," thusly indicating a significant rearward drive bias.  And also consider that the next generation TT introduces a new electronics architecture, and that the previous R8, and consequently, the Gallardo, shared a high percentage their electrical architecture, so a similar sharing of systems could happen with the next model too.  Therefore, the 991 might find difficulty matching the performance of a less costly family stablemate.  

Fortunately, Porsche has an excellent team of engineers to meet the new challenges.

The Haldex in the Huracan (and 991 TT) makes it drive like a RWD car because the engine is in the rear of the car and the Haldex only connects the front axle when it detects or predicts wheel spin.

in the Audi and VW, the motor is in front and car drives like FWD car until the Haldex connects the rear axle.  You cannot expect RWD behavior in the Audi and VW....

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Speaking of the facelift for the 981 and 991.  I may have missed it, but has anyone here reported whether we should expect it for the Model Year 2016 or not until Model Year 2017?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I believe the 991 facelift should be out in spring/summer of 2015.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Yes, my guess is June 2015 when MY 2016 starts.

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells

SuzyF:
    turbolite:

Agreed. So maybe they will resort to a less drastic measure than new engines and just increas the size of the existing one. I am pretty sure they have room to increase the 3.8 engine to a 4.0 displacement. After alle the 3.8 version has remained unchanged for two half generations now (997.2 and 991.1), so it would be a welcome opportunity to drive more customers to the 991. facelift! 

They have done exactly that before...Smiley

--

turbolite

RodoRS:

I think the 991.2 will have Active Aero like the 918 Spyder, just look at this pics:

Front air intakes open

... now the air intakes are closed!! no

they must have been driving for a while given the one guy had to go so bad he stopped in that freeze zone to take a leak.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

bluelines:
    CGX car nut:

Noo ne buys a Porsche only because of horsepower, but HP are a very relevant number for any sportscar. Porsche themselves have started the game with continuous engine upgrades since the sixties...

So a TT with over 400 HP will certainly become interesting for the one or the other potential Cayman/Boxster  and it will also be relevant for the Porsche aficionados who fork out someting like CHF 160k for a Carrera 4S with 400 hp when there is a more potent  AudiTT version available for half the price!  

Even if It is not as a real alternative for most clients, psycologically Porsche must make sure they stay above all these newcomers with the HPs  of an S model. In fact they are playing the game well with the new turbo S measuring at 607 HP instead of the official 560 HP...

I am convinced that these prototypes are riding with upgraded engines under the hood.Smiley

--

turbolite

turbolite:
    ...it will also be relevant for the Porsche aficionados who fork out someting like CHF 160k for a Carrera 4S with 400 hp when there is a more potent  AudiTT version available for half the price!  

I am convinced that these prototypes are riding with upgraded engines under the hood.Smiley

Unless the TT handles like the 4S I don't think it will ever be a threat. That and the Porsche brand name are what people fork out the big money for.

Anyone can build a car that goes fast in a straight line. Throw in a few curves and only the true sportscar will shine. The current TTRS is 30 seconds slower than the 4S around the Ring. There is some catch-up to do before it is in the same league and I doubt 400hp will take it there. With that I don't mean that people necessarily stare themselves blind on lap times when buying a car, but it does tell a lot about the handling of the car.

Having said that, I am sure the 991.2 has got some goodies in the engine department too Smiley

--

Previous

bluelines:

Unless the TT handles like the 4S I don't think it will ever be a threat. That and the Porsche brand name are what people fork out the big money for.

The bigger point I was trying to make is that Porsche can not be indifferent to what is going on around them. The GT-R mishap taught them a lesson they actually really deserved - do not rest on your laurels! 

And while probably hardly any Porsche sale was lost to a Nissan buyer, they clearly lost face and credibility as a sports car authority - still not a nice thing from a PR point of view.  The result of it was a big push and better 911 aka the 991! 

So a TT RS will probably never threaten a Carrera  sale, but if the TT is almost on par in certain aspects, they can not be indifferent to it In my opinion, but need to improve their products...

--

turbolite

turbolite:
    bluelines:

The bigger point I was trying to make is that Porsche can not be indifferent to what is going on around them. The GT-R mishap taught them a lesson they actually really deserved - do not rest on your laurels! 

And while probably hardly any Porsche sale was lost to a Nissan buyer, they clearly lost face and credibility as a sports car authority - still not a nice thing from a PR point of view.  The result of it was a big push and better 911 aka the 991! 

So a TT RS will probably never threaten a Carrera  sale, but if the TT is almost on par in certain aspects, they can not be indifferent to it In my opinion, but need to improve their products...

Ok, got it. Agreed! Smiley

--

Previous

bluelines:
     The current TTRS is 30 seconds slower than the 4S around the Ring.

But last time I was at the Ring a TTRS was quite faster then me SmileySmiley, I don't understand !! Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    bluelines:
     The current TTRS is 30 seconds slower than the 4S around the Ring.

But last time I was at the Ring a TTRS was quite faster then me SmileySmiley, I don't understand !! Smiley

No comment Smiley

--

Previous

turbolite:
    bluelines:

Yes, exactly, and the reason I started this sub-thread.  The Audi TT probably will never be considered a challenger to the 911, however, it can, if the new version is greatly improved, take sales away from the Boxster/Cayman twins.  

CGX car nut:
    turbolite:
    bluelines:

Yes, exactly, and the reason I started this sub-thread.  The Audi TT probably will never be considered a challenger to the 911, however, it can, if the new version is greatly improved, take sales away from the Boxster/Cayman twins.  

Yes, if the TTRS greatly improves it could make a dent in the 981 sales, but I would not expect a large impact. The front-engined AWD TTRS will need voodoo and black magic to feel like a mid-engined real-wheel drive car. No matter how many hp it gets, a diet of 100kg is also necessary. The price difference between these cars is also not much, here in Switzerland a TTRS starts at CHF 82k and a Cayman S at CHF 88k. The CHF 6k is a small premium to pay for being able to drive a mid-engined sports car and say "I drive a Porsche" Smiley Since everyone and their grandmother drives an Audi here, it is not much worth in being exclusive. It already looks expensive in comparison.

I have driven the TTRS and I have an S5. Both are great cars and fast in a straight line, but they understeer like an oil tanker when pushed to the limit. Not much fun IMHO. The 981 is in a whole different league when it comes to handling. It will make you smile on the limit and reward you like few cars can. That is why I don't think there is much of a threat, even for the 981.

--

Previous

Carlos from Spain:

Thanks.  I was a little unsure, since they usually have a 7 year run with each model with a 4 year initial run and a 3 year facelift, right?

--

bluelines:
    CGX car nut:
    turbolite:
    bluelines:

Yes, if the TTRS greatly improves it could make a dent in the 981 sales, but I would not expect a large impact. The front-engined AWD TTRS will need voodoo and black magic to feel like a mid-engined real-wheel drive car. No matter how many hp it gets, a diet of 100kg is also necessary. The price difference between these cars is also not much, here in Switzerland a TTRS starts at CHF 82k and a Cayman S at CHF 88k. The CHF 6k is a small premium to pay for being able to drive a mid-engined sports car and say "I drive a Porsche" Smiley Since everyone and their grandmother drives an Audi here, it is not much worth in being exclusive. It already looks expensive in comparison.

I have driven the TTRS and I have an S5. Both are great cars and fast in a straight line, but they understeer like an oil tanker when pushed to the limit. Not much fun IMHO. The 981 is in a whole different league when it comes to handling. It will make you smile on the limit and reward you like few cars can. That is why I don't think there is much of a threat, even for the 981.

I can not speak on pricing in Switzerland, but in North America, the price differential widens significantly once options are applied to the Porsche twins.  There were very few options available on the TTRS.  So the premium "to drive a Porsche" is much greater here.  One can continue to post in a ping pong manner, but until the next generation is released, and compared to the appropriate Porsche model everything is mere speculation.

Porsche preparing the facelift of 911?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114012569284/porsche-911-facelift-spied-in-coupe-cabriolet-and-turbo

too early for facelift, not?

CGX car nut:

I can not speak on pricing in Switzerland, but in North America, the price differential widens significantly once options are applied to the Porsche twins.  There were very few options available on the TTRS.  So the premium "to drive a Porsche" is much greater here.  One can continue to post in a ping pong manner, but until the next generation is released, and compared to the appropriate Porsche model everything is mere speculation.

...pong! Smiley

Yes, options are more expensive here too. You are right, until the next generation is released, all is speculation.

--

Previous

981 and TTRS are and always will be completely different cars... 981 doesn't have any oppnents, period. It's the ONLY true sportscar in its class. I am a very big Audi fan but there's not one Audi (except R8) that I would trade for my Boxster, regardless how much hp it has. An RS5 has also much more horsepower than a 991. Does it make it a sportscar? I don't think so....

It's not even a comparison. TT will finally be a nice car (Hopefully) with the upcoming generation, but come on... How can you compare it with a 981? Let alone a 991! The only comparison one can make, is the impeccable build quality that both Audi and Porsche have (Audi even slightly better IMHO).

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

SuzyF:

981 and TTRS are and always will be completely different cars... 981 doesn't have any oppnents, period. It's the ONLY true sportscar in its class. I am a very big Audi fan but there's not one Audi (except R8) that I would trade for my Boxster, regardless how much hp it has. An RS5 has also much more horsepower than a 991. Does it make it a sportscar? I don't think so....

It's not even a comparison. TT will finally be a nice car (Hopefully) with the upcoming generation, but come on... How can you compare it with a 981? Let alone a 991! The only comparison one can make, is the impeccable build quality that both Audi and Porsche have (Audi even slightly better IMHO).

Smiley

--

Previous

There are much bigger threads for the 991 upcoming. Mercedes has abandoned the big SLS and re-starts with a new sports car in the 991 price range. This car will come with a turbo powered 4.0 V8. Even more interesting is the McLaren P13. Guess what, it is a new sports car in the 991 price range with 3.8 V8. I've read about a price of 120k GBP. Autobild states that it will be a Turbo-S competitor, but  think that is nonsense. Autocar has some better info: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mclaren-p13-first-details-revealed

Both cars will annihilate current Carreras in straight line performance. Given McLarens racing expertise, the P13 will also be a tough opponent on the track. So Porsche has to answer and squeezing out 30 more hp out of the already low on torque engine will not be a good idea.

--

Note to self: I DO NOT need a Turbo. 

Good and healthy competition indecision

Then again, how many times have this not happened in the last 10 years? Every new sports car in this segment is labeled the new "911 killer", measured against the 911 in all the tests and then once the initial euphoria has cooled down no one cares much about the other car...

--

Previous

Lots of spy pics from the next coupe, cab and turbo:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114012569284/porsche-911-facelift-spied-in-coupe-cabriolet-and-turbo

--

Previous

bluelines:

Posted by artur777 couple of posts earlier...

--

SportCarGroup:
    bluelines:

Sorry, I must have turned blind. I went through the posts before posting... heart

--

Previous

bluelines:
    SportCarGroup:
    bluelines:

Sorry, I must have turned blind. I went through the posts before posting... heart

I find that last line in the Wcf article unsettling: 

The facelifted Porsche 911 range could be unveiled later this year..

OUCH! by everyone who has just got one! I somehow feel the 991 has just come to market... Smiley 

if the car was launched in fall 2011 it would be out three years in fall 2014, so a facelift could be possible but would still be very early. IMO.

On the other hand, given that we have all these ready to go prototypes driving around i can not imagine that these cars will hit the street only in 2015. And as mentioned before any facelift will certainly also encompass a technical update (engine etc), at least for the base versions. Turbo will then get the facelift one year later as happened with the 997...

--

turbolite

I find it highly unlikely the 991.2 would be unveiled already 2014. It is too early. The Targa was just presented and the RS needs to get out the door too.

--

Previous

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689059 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255639 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234891 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857774 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773750 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM