Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

absent:

Update re. my 991TTS.

My insurance picked up the slack (I had uninsured and underinsured driver coverage) and declared total loss on my car.

I will not lose my deductible nor suffer any penalties ,since the other driver was found to be 100 % responsible.

I don't want to compromise and even though my dealer offered a Black 991TTS with no options I decided to sit back and take my time before deciding what car to get next.

For now just got an E63S with AWD as daily driver.

I wonder if my car wasn't the first totalled  new Turbo in US...... 

Good to hear the insurance worked out in your favour. As for the rest, tragic Smiley

I totalled my then new 997 turbo after about 1 year ownership. I know the feeling. Sucks big time.

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

absent:

For now just got an E63S with AWD as daily driver.

I wonder if my car wasn't the first totalled  new Turbo in US...... 

Great to hear everything worked out well in the end. You are not too eager to get another TTS as a replacement?

Guess there are worse choices for an interim car... 

Smiley

I'm hesitant to get another Turbo so soon,my car was exactly as I wanted,carefully specced,I don't think I would be happy replacing it with just any stock 991.

To order another would take quite a while,most allocations for spring delivery are already spoken for.

It's a bad karma too..... 

absent:

I'm hesitant to get another Turbo so soon,my car was exactly as I wanted,carefully specced,I don't think I would be happy replacing it with just any stock 991.

To order another would take quite a while,most allocations for spring delivery are already spoken for.

It's a bad karma too..... 

If you are a good customer, your dealer can surely "squeeze you in" because of such an unfortunate event like the accident (glad to hear that your insurance is paying for the whole car). If he explains to PCNA, they may be able to clear another allocation for you, at least I would try.

Do you really think it was bad Karma? I would rather see it the other way around: The car was totaled and you are just fine. Smiley Smiley So the car actually protected you.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

That incident made me rethink the whole idea of driving a car like that in Chicago as a daily driver.

2ft closer (was hit directly at front left wheel) and I would be in a different condition.

You drive a car and hear about accidents and somehow always assume they happen to "other people",now I started paying a bit closer attention to other drivers here and the skill,attention and general driver education here is a total disaster.

No where else in the World will you see so many folks eating sandwiches,texting ,making calls or reading a book or magazine while driving, like here in US.

On top of it,most of them drive huge SUVs or pick up trucks multiple of weight of a typical 911.

A guy I know, bought his 16 y old daughter (failed driver test 6 times until a new examiner thought she was "cute" and passed her) a Caddy Escalade saying: "if she is going to kill someone at least I know it would not be herself"  

I think I will just get the S-Class Coupe for daily driver and something else for track only playing.

absent:

... You drive a car and hear about accidents and somehow always assume they happen to "other people",now I started paying a bit closer attention to other drivers here and the skill,attention and general driver education here is a total disaster.

No where else in the World will you see so many folks eating sandwiches,texting ,making calls or reading a book or magazine while driving, like here in US. ...

I've had 3 "accidents" in I forget how many years of driving.

1. Another driver, behind me, decided to make a left turn through the rear of my car while I was driving at a steady rate of speed on city streets. No possible way to see that coming or avoid it. Fortunately, I was able to maintain control and not run into anyone else on the street after having my car rotated about 30°. He (or she) didn't stop, probably drunk to be driving like that.
    2. Another driver pulled out of a driveway straight into the rear of my car (the same car, in fact, on the other side). Didn't see that one coming either, no movement as I approached, no "distracting" traffic coming from the opposite direction, clear view of the road from the driveway. Driver just decided to go, at the wrong moment, without looking. I was going between 45 and 50 mph (50 speed limit) but having already practiced maintaining car control under these conditions, it fortunately wasn't any worse than it was.
    3. Stopped behind cars making a left turn, a driver in a pickup truck, who I saw talking on his cell phone when I looked in my mirror just before impact, rammed into the car behind me, pushing it into my car, and I just managed to avoid hitting the car in front of me by pulling partly to the side just before he hit. The couple in the car behind me, who were on their honeymoon, were seriously injured.

All of these due to the bad driving of other people and all of them unavoidable.  

absent:

That incident made me rethink the whole idea of driving a car like that in Chicago as a daily driver.

2ft closer (was hit directly at front left wheel) and I would be in a different condition.

You drive a car and hear about accidents and somehow always assume they happen to "other people",now I started paying a bit closer attention to other drivers here and the skill,attention and general driver education here is a total disaster.

No where else in the World will you see so many folks eating sandwiches,texting ,making calls or reading a book or magazine while driving, like here in US.

On top of it,most of them drive huge SUVs or pick up trucks multiple of weight of a typical 911.

A guy I know, bought his 16 y old daughter (failed driver test 6 times until a new examiner thought she was "cute" and passed her) a Caddy Escalade saying: "if she is going to kill someone at least I know it would not be herself"  

I think I will just get the S-Class Coupe for daily driver and something else for track only playing.

The 991 Turbo S is a wonderful daily driver but if I would live in the US and especially in the region of larger cities, I would probably get a Cayenne GTS or a Turbo/S instead. Honestly. The new Macan Turbo is also quite interesting, for the price of a well optioned 991 Turbo S, you can actually get a GT3 and a Macan Turbo. Smiley Almost.

I don't want to talk you out of the Turbo S and your (negative) experience surely happens only once in a lifetime but if you liked the 991 Turbo S as a daily driver, why not go for one again? Or you want to wait for the Cayenne facelift, the Turbo S should get the 570 hp engine from the Panamera Turbo S.

Or you want to get a Mercedes G class, like the G63 or G65 AMG. These cars are tanks. Smiley

Regarding kids and cars: I agree but I'm not sure I would get a teenager who failed the driver test 6 times an Escalade. Size and weight don't always mean that the car is safe, there are smaller SUVs which are easier to drive and safe enough.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I trust physics more. Mass wins in a collision. In a crash between a Escalade and a Fiat 500 or Smart car, I think I prefer to be in the 3 ton Escalade. Every time.

--

Whoopsy:

I trust physics more. Mass wins in a collision. In a crash between a Escalade and a Fiat 500 or Smart car, I think I prefer to be in the 3 ton Escalade. Every time.

Just imagine a flip-over in a 3ton Escalade. Not only is this car more likely to flip-over - the damage to the driver will also be more massive, probably, given all the kinetic energy. It is a statistical fact that serious head damages are much more likely in SUVs...

SUVs with ladder frame chassis are dangerous because not enough energy can be absorbed in a crash, but those with monocoque structure (easier to incorporate crumble zones) are like any other car.

--

"Form follows function"

Whoopsy:

Physics is on the side of the passengers in the vehicle with the better passive safety features designed to protect them, not necessarily the heavier vehicle.  

--

fritz

My point was not the perceived safety of a larger car/truck but the fact that in US at least,the worse the driver is the bigger the car he chooses to drive and that creates additional hazard to the rest of us ,driving "normal" cars.

I already have the G63 (G65 for some reason is not available here),it is my wife's daily driver,personally I don't like any SUVs,even great handling examples like the Cayenne. 

absent:

Did I missed something?? I remember a beautiful white 991 Turbo on pics....What happend?? Smiley

--

alias:
    3.Stopped behind cars making a left turn, a driver in a pickup truck, who I saw talking on his cell phone when I looked in my mirror just before impact, rammed into the car behind me, pushing it into my car, and I just managed to avoid hitting the car in front of me by pulling partly to the side just before he hit. The couple in the car behind me, who were on their honeymoon, were seriously injured.

That happened to me but I was the car sandwiched in between. Also to make things better the car that hit me fled the scene ( with his front bumper hanging from one side) so insurance determined I was the guilty party since I had hit the car in from of me. It was a legal nightmare, I was on that mess for about 5 months before they did anything to help me out. 

This is not the kind of sandwich you want to be in. smiley angry

Sorry to hear about it, letting joking aside.

--

In the most extreme example, a car collide with a train, the train probably won't even know what it hit.

In a more common example, a normal sedan, not even a tiny micro compact, has a collision with a tractor trailer, or a dump truck.

In a collision the car with the less total energy will absorb the extra from the other car, the designed in crumple structures absorb a lot of the energy first before the actually transfer of extra energy but since cars will be likely travelling around the same speed, the mass dictates how much energy there is. 

Since smaller lighter cars are more gas efficient, there are more of them on the road, which is why there is a passive aggressive hidden campaign to get rid of heavier cars on the road as they post a grave danger to the lighter cars in a collision because of higher energy content. 

Statistically, collisions are more common than rollovers. 

If I have my way, I would buy my son a 20 ton dump truck. I know I am selfish, but in collisions I prefer to be the one dishing out energy instead of receiving it. 

--

let's not forget where you hit the "other" car - I just saw a F150 parket next to a golf and that car would go on window height into the other car - not the body. this applies to many SUV's against "lower" cars - they are far away from hitting yr bumper....

Whoopsy:

In the most extreme example, a car collide with a train, the train probably won't even know what it hit.

In a more common example, a normal sedan, not even a tiny micro compact, has a collision with a tractor trailer, or a dump truck.

In a collision the car with the less total energy will absorb the extra from the other car, the designed in crumple structures absorb a lot of the energy first before the actually transfer of extra energy but since cars will be likely travelling around the same speed, the mass dictates how much energy there is. 

Since smaller lighter cars are more gas efficient, there are more of them on the road, which is why there is a passive aggressive hidden campaign to get rid of heavier cars on the road as they post a grave danger to the lighter cars in a collision because of higher energy content. 

Statistically, collisions are more common than rollovers. 

If I have my way, I would buy my son a 20 ton dump truck. I know I am selfish, but in collisions I prefer to be the one dishing out energy instead of receiving it. 

Smiley Smiley You are not selfish, you are a good father. (Our) kids come first. Smiley

Btw: Have you guys actually ever seen a 991 crash test result? Of course Porsche crash tests their cars but I have never seen an official or independent crash test result. Isn't that weird? I know that the 911 is a pretty safe car, engine in the rear and all but let's take the backseats for example: What happens if a car rear ends you? Or what happens if the roof is damaged (rollover)? My kids' head isn't really far away from the roof when they sit in the rear. I cannot imagine that it is totally safe. Smiley Same goes to side impact: What happens if a car hits the side of the 911? Are the rear passengers safe? Their seats are better seat cushions than real seats. Something I actually never understood, especially with the longer 991.

--

At least for the US, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) have not released any crash test results for the 991.

FWIW The IIHS has crash-tested the 2014 Maserati Ghibli, and it earned the institute's Top Safety Pick rating. Porsche uses a lot of specialty steels in the passenger compartment but I think you might be right to be concerned about rear seat passengers in a 991 crash, god forbid that happening. Here's the Ghibli side impact testing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEa6FxSg_UI

The rear side airbags really help.

For the 991, only this complete lack of official detail so far:

NHTSA Rating Front Driver Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Front Passenger Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Front Side Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Rear Side Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Overall Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Rollover Not Rated
    IIHS Overall Front Crash N/R
    IIHS Overall Side Crash N/R
    IIHS Best Pick N/R
    IIHS Rear Crash N/R
    IIHS Roof Strength N/R

Very impressive crash test on that link. The Audi A4 result was a bit scary, and the BMW 3Series Cabrio seemed to achieve  great results.

J.Seven

JimFlat6:

At least for the US, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) have not released any crash test results for the 991.

FWIW The IIHS has crash-tested the 2014 Maserati Ghibli, and it earned the institute's Top Safety Pick rating. Porsche uses a lot of specialty steels in the passenger compartment but I think you might be right to be concerned about rear seat passengers in a 991 crash, god forbid that happening. Here's the Ghibli side impact testing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEa6FxSg_UI

The rear side airbags really help.

For the 991, only this complete lack of official detail so far:

NHTSA Rating Front Driver Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Front Passenger Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Front Side Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Rear Side Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Overall Not Rated
    NHTSA Rating Rollover Not Rated
    IIHS Overall Front Crash N/R
    IIHS Overall Side Crash N/R
    IIHS Best Pick N/R
    IIHS Rear Crash N/R
    IIHS Roof Strength N/R

I would really love to see a 991 crash test result. Like I said, the 991 seems to be a safe car (have heard of and seen many crashed cars and according to every bit of information I got, the passengers were alive and in good health) but I wonder why there is no crash test result available anywhere? Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Your comparison goes a bit sunk, as it doesn't take stiffness into account.

How about a 10 ton block of yello and a light smartcar with a proper stiff passenger cell?
    All the energy is going to go in the deformation of the yello, if there's people in there, the smartcar might deform the yello so much that it will collide with the people as well...

I think it was fifth gear or topgear that did a collision test between a 20 year old volvo and a new toyota aygo to demonstrate what a long way passive passenger safety has come in the past decades: in the head-on collision, the aygo's passenger cell was not damaged at all, whereas with the volvo, the entire front had been pushed into the space normally occupied by the driver and passenger.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

I can only add that in my experience 991TTS did it's job preventing any injury (to talk about) in an accident that totaled my car.

I was hit by a truck weighing 3 times as much as 991 on the front left side including A pillar and driver's door at estimated speed of around 40mph (I was at 25mph approaching stop light,he came from the side).

My car was spun,hit a light pole and was wedged between the truck and a electric transformer,my car had practically entire body destroyed,driver door inoperable,windshield shattered,side airbags,steering wheel and knee airbags deployed.

There was insignificant intrusion to passenger cell,the only injuries were to my arms and shinns in form of severe airbag rash,coughing the smoke for a few minutes after and mental anguish from losing a car I've waited for so long,with barely 500 miles on it.

That car is really well built. 

sound like being reborn. congrats!!!!

i had an accident in november, rolling over twice...i know what it feels...

absent:

I can only add that in my experience 991TTS did it's job preventing any injury (to talk about) in an accident that totaled my car.

I was hit by a truck weighing 3 times as much as 991 on the front left side including A pillar and driver's door at estimated speed of around 40mph (I was at 25mph approaching stop light,he came from the side).

My car was spun,hit a light pole and was wedged between the truck and a electric transformer,my car had practically entire body destroyed,driver door inoperable,windshield shattered,side airbags,steering wheel and knee airbags deployed.

There was insignificant intrusion to passenger cell,the only injuries were to my arms and shinns in form of severe airbag rash,coughing the smoke for a few minutes after and mental anguish from losing a car I've waited for so long,with barely 500 miles on it.

That car is really well built. 

Good to know and glad you didn't have more severe injuries. 

My last accident (a drunken guy entered a red light in an intersection, hit me in the front and my car rolled over and slipped almost 200 m(!) on the roof, so you can imagine the impact force, I had three broken ribs...safety belt) was over 28 years ago and I still remember it and I'm always very careful when I enter an intersection. Such events remain branded into your memory, they never go away. Look at the positive side: You are OK and you may be even more careful now, not that such accidents can be always prevented. It helps though, the fear makes you more careful.

--

RC:

CONS

- The exhaust sounds nice but the "spitting" noise is too dull and it gets annoying. It should have a higher pitch tone, like on the 991 PSE. The "spitting" on the 991 Turbo S exhaust sounds as if something is hitting your wheel arch with something. Very annoying in my opinion.

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Any updates on the annoying exhaust issue now that you have a few KM's under your belt?

Did the sound get "better" with time or did your annoyance dissipate with time?

--
    Peter 

The exhaust sound is a little bit louder and maybe slightly higher in pitch but the "spitting" noise is still the same and believe it or not, it sounds better from the outside than from the inside, which is a plus but not really satisfying.

Overall, I think that the exhaust sound is right on the spot with the exception of the lower rev range where the exhaust sound could be better with less throttle. 

Those who are into the good old sport exhaust sounds probably need to go aftermarket though (Cargraphic or Akrapovici come to my mind). Unfortunately none of these aftermarket systems seems to be available yet, so it may take a couple of months. Caution: Make sure the exhaust system is OBD "safe", so the warning light doesn't come on. Quality is very important and keep in mind that the warranty of the WHOLE car can be voided by installing an aftermarket system.

--

I love the 997.2 PSE sound. Contrary to popular belief I enjoy that high pitched orgasmic crescendo, much better than burbling V8 Jaguars and Maseratis and the loud Aston Martins.

I find the BMW V10 very impressive however. But that is no more.

All is a matter of taste.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I love the 997.2 PSE sound. Contrary to popular belief I enjoy that high pitched orgasmic crescendo, much better than burbling V8 Jaguars and Maseratis and the loud Aston Martins.

+1  Totally agree - especially with the Gert Carnewal 'always on' remote system..Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

RC, does your turbo s have the road sign detection feature the porsche site advertises as an option? If so how well does it work?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM