Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Michael Schumacher in Coma

This is very sad.. All the very be to Michael..

--

throt

"I couldn't do it"

Still no news today. There was an article in L'Equipe (french sport newspaper) yesterday that claimed the officials would make an announcement regarding the investigation...not that this is the priority anyway, Michael's health is. Seriously worrying now, days go by... enlightened

--

996C4, Artic silver (gone) 997C2S, Seal/black, -20mm LSD, PSE (gone) 986S, Arctic Silver (gone)

I've read that this state of induced coma can last between 2-3 weeks to months. Therefore, we shouldn't wait for good news soon. I hope there won't be bad news during this period

Moreover, when the patient is "woken up" it is then that the real picture will be revealed, if the patient wakes up at all.

BTW, Angela Merkel broke her pelvis today in a skiing (cross country) accident.

These high profile accidents are bound to frighten off plenty of casual holiday skiers.

--

"Form follows function"

Sometimes, no news is good news. I expect this will fully unfold over the next 6-12 months ...

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

As for Merkel's fractured pelvis, I wish her a speedy recovery but I can't help but think that some people should take into account their fitness level, weight and suitability for engaging in active sports before participating in such activities, especially if their job is such a responsible one.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Based on an article in "La Gazzetta Dello Sport", no additional info on Michael's condition will be released until next Monday, at the earliest.

Also read another article there, where they said that his chances of survival improve significantly if he stays in stable condition for 2 weeks, even in induced coma. 

Just found this great story on Road & Track. Made me feel more positive for Michael:  

www.roadandtrack.com/features/web-originals/warner-head-injury-schumacher

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing

Good news! apparently Schumacher's manager told the press that his is out of danger now. This doesn't mean that he is going to be OK, just that his life is no longer considered threatened, which up until now what not clear yet. 

http://www.rtl.de/cms/sport/formel-1/news/schumi-ausser-lebensgefahr-36185-3604-21-1757089.html

--

Michael Schumacher's wife asked all journalists to leave the premises (hospital) and to let the doctors at the hospital do their jobs without making their lives difficult anymore. At the same time, she also asked the press to leave her and her family alone. I can rely to that. The press is curious, I get it but this is a hospital and Schumacher's family should have a right for privacy too. It is time to leave them alone, I agree.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Prosecutors in France held a media conference Wednesday morning to announce what their investigation into Michael Schumacher’s skiing accident has discovered to date, which is not a lot (click here for the report).

The champion Formula One driver remains in a medically induced coma following the mishap in the French Alps on Dec. 29.

And why are prosecutors involved? Because of what F1 revolves around: money.

You can bet that Michael Schumacher is insured to the hilt against everything from accidental death to loss of income because of disability. The company (or companies) insuring him will want to know exactly what happened and where to point the finger of blame – if there is any.

The Schumacher family, you can imagine, wants this nailed down as well, as does the insurance company (or companies) providing coverage for the resort where Schumacher was injured.

There’s an awful lot riding on what prosecutors determine actually happened. And it’s because of the millions at stake that police are conducting the investigation. In a situation like this, about the only impartial investigation possible would have to be conducted by them.

You will recall that almost before Schumacher was airlifted to hospital shortly after the accident happened that a resort spokesperson was telling media that Schumi had been skiing off-piste (translation: in an ungroomed, unmarked or unpatrolled – maybe all three – area). In other words, it was his fault that he was injured because he wasn’t skiing on established runs, the resort seemed to be saying.

Schumacher was wearing a helmet cam when he went down and the family has handed this over to the investigators. Reports of a second video proved to be false.

Meantime, the focus seems to have shifted from concern for the ailing athlete to what really happened out there? And there’s a cat-and-mouse game doing on between reporters and Schumi’s manager, who’s determined to try to control the messaging.

After retired driver Philippe Streif left the hospital last weekend and told reporters that a doctor had said Schumacher’s life was no longer in danger, manager Sabine Kehm hit the roof. She said no one was to seek information from anybody except her and/or the attending physicians and that she would conduct media conferences when there were developments.

Then she turned around and told a German news agency that there had been a slight improvement in his health. That was a nice little beat for the news agency but left the competing media with egg on its face. It is this misunderstanding of the role of media by PR people that results in reporters trying to get information any which way they can - such as dressing up like a priest to try to get into his room, as one journalist reportedly did.

Meantime, what’s known officially is this. As of this writing, Michael Schumacher, arguably the greatest racing driver who ever lived, remains in critical condition and in the fight of his life.

Yes, there’s concern. But the focus is on the  financial implications.

It’s always been thus, though, when it comes to F1. Remember that embarrassment called the U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis in 2005 when the cars using Michelin tires all withdraw from the race after the formation lap? Michelin had told them it could not guarantee the safety of the product beyond 10 laps (Ralf Schumacher had been concussed during practice when a tire blew out, initially raising concern). As a result of that, the insurance companies covering the drivers of the Michelin cars told them that if they raced and something happened, they wouldn’t be covered. None of them was willing to take the risk – and can you blame them?

My friend Brian Stewart’s favourite expression is: “It’s all about the money.”

He’s so right.

The writer "truly hopes for a full recovery". But I suspect he might be not be unhappy  with Schumacher's predicament angry

schumacher 002.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

It would be a miracle if a british journalist would actually say something nice about anything related to Germany. 

Keep in mind that I'm not German by origin and not born in Germany but even I always have and had the feeling that british journalism kind of has become stuck in the WWII era when it comes to Germany or anything related to it. angry

Luckily for them, we have Greece now. Now nobody over here pays closer attention to them anymore. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

any updates?

Enmanuel:

any updates?

I just heard yesterday in a short note that the injuries are still to serious to wake him up from the artificially induced coma. Apparently they are still assessing the damage to his brain. The longer he lies in a coma, the less likely he will fully recover though. I just hope that at some point, his doctors will make the right decision to wake him up and try to get him fixed as much as possible. If he gets out of the life threatening situation, his recovery will take a long time. I just hope that everybody involved has the strength to keep on going.

--

I spoke with a friend doctor the other day… she was very negative and hinted that she would not be surprised if the medicals with the family had to debate about shutting everything off or not .

Now this is not my view and I hope for the best recovery, but time is passing and that is not good

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

After reading and talking to doctors, I have resorted to the bleak scenario that either Michael will not survive or he will end up with deficits, serious not only for a young topfit sportsman like he has been but even for a very old man.

He cannot escape without serious problems, unless we experience a miracle.  surprise

--

"Form follows function"

Another not so positive report:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/news/20140115/michael-schumacher-injury-coma-may-be-permanent/

Every day that passes with him in a coma means his chances of recovery are slimmer and slimmer, and its been too long already, prognosis looks very grim I afraid.

--

It looks grave, but where there's life there's hope...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

According to what I read this weekend in a medical journal, the coma Michael Schumacher is in has been artificially induced and as long as he is in this coma, he is quite "safe" until they wake him up if the doctors are 100% sure that they caught all damages to the brain. So it seems to be a problem of determining all medical issues at hand, not necessarily the duration of the coma itself. Of course the recovery, if possible, will be long and painful but I think MS still has a good chance to survive and maybe even without a (heavy) remaining damage. At least I hope so.

I also get the feeling that the press kind of lost interest and we may not hear about positive developments until he is actually woken up from the coma. Let's hope I'm not wrong.

--

The coma is a safe state for the brain, it can be maintained indefinately, but this is an artificially maintained coma which means that its purpose is for therapeutic purposes, and therefore the fact that the doctors treating him have choosen to artificially maintain it for so long already implies that the damage to the brain has been very serious, otherwise in one or two weeks at most they would have allowed him to come out of it, like most cases. There is no direct information from the doctors on his status, but the fact that they have had to maintain the coma for so long is a very bad sign of the damage his brain has suffered. The longer this continues, the more pesimistic I get surprise

--

Carlos from Spain:

The coma is a safe state for the brain, it can be maintained indefinately, but this is an artificially maintained coma which means that its purpose is for therapeutic purposes, and therefore the fact that the doctors treating him have choosen to artificially maintain it for so long already implies that the damage to the brain has been very serious, otherwise in one or two weeks at most they would have allowed him to come out of it, like most cases. There is no direct information from the doctors on his status, but the fact that they have had to maintain the coma for so long is a very bad sign of the damage his brain has suffered. The longer this continues, the more pesimistic I get surprise

According to the article, they want to make sure they haven't missed anything because the damage is complex and apparently there are still very small hemorrhages they need to take care of.

Of course only his doctors know the real damage but I guess if they don't wake him up soon, things don't look too bright. Sad. Smiley

--

It's amazing how things can turn from white to black in a heart beat from an unfortunate turn of fate without expecting it, I feel sorry for his family, especially his son who I believe was with him at the time of the accident surprise

--

Don't write him off so easily. There is no reason to get maudlin about his future. People with more damage than him have come back. So regardless of the prognosis inferred in the media have some confidence in those treating him and his ability to recover

Now if he comes out of the coma speaking in Polish and wants to open a deli, that's another matter.... indecision

I am confident he will recover and after rehabilitation and therapy be back to his old self.kiss

Unfortunately neurons do not have the same regenerating capabilities of other parts of the body, once they are gone thats it, and new ones cannot be created to take their place, there is some degree of function recovery through neuronal plasticity but that is limited, and those treating him can do little for him except maitaining the best conditions for his body to heal as much as it can, but its up to his body, and in cases like this with so much damage and still needing the induced coma there is little chance now of him back to his old self.

I just hope that the damamge is more limited to motor function and not the higher executive functions, that would be more devastating as his personality might even change, his temperament, his moods, his memory, etc, especially for his family. That is what I dread the most, not the physical disability that may result but the mental one.

--

Read an article in the Globe & Mail (upstanding, real, Canadian newspaper) discussing fears that he may remain in a permanent vegetative state.enlightened

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Read an article in the Globe & Mail (upstanding, real, Canadian newspaper) discussing fears that he may remain in a permanent vegetative state.enlightened

Similar article in a Swedish newspaper today. I guess same source.

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

Guys, lets kill all negative predictions and lets start to believe that Schumi will recover completely. The more people think about bad things the higher the probability smthg to happed bad. 

All the best to Schumi and his family!

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Guys, lets kill all negative predictions and lets start to believe that Schumi will recover completely. The more people think about bad things the higher the probability smthg to happed bad

All the best to Schumi and his family!

Scientifically proven? Smiley I agree though...we should hope for a fully recovery. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689443 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409148 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857921 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773962 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM