Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide - Europe - UK Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

German number plate surrounds..

For some time now I've been fed up with having to drill through number plates to fix them or alternatively use sticky pads which inevitably work loose and fall off!

Last week I purchased some plate surrounds from Germany and have just fitted them.  These require no drilling or sticking of the plates themselves which can easily be removed, without damage, at any time.

Just wondered what you guys think of the look as well as the convenience?  Smiley

P1000437RT.jpg

P1000435 RT.jpg

P1000438RT.jpg

P1000441RT.JPGP1000442RT.jpgP1000440RT.jpg

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Re: German number plate surrounds..

I see two issues with this license plate:

1. It may not be street legal (the GB is missing and covering the country code may be a traffic offense in some countries, for example in Germany it would be "tampering"), furthermore you will be ticketed in certain countries (like Italy) because they car doesn't have the country code on the license plate (some EU countries require the country code, either in the license plate itself or outside on a sticker, I'm not kidding).

2. There is no Autohaus Porsche Stuttgart (or Autohaus Stuttgart for that matter). Not that it really matters.

If you like it, keep it but be aware of the above points, especially if you travel outside GB.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

One of the many "unseen" benefits of EU membership.  smiley
    Now that number plate dimensions have been standardised throughout the EU the sheet plastic UK plates will fit the frames intended for use with the pressed aluminium plates still used in Germany.

I have them on both my cars and will not be using anything else in future. Anyone thinking of buying them should be aware that they are available in flat and curved (in plan view) versions, the latter being ideal for the front of a 911 or Boxster as the shape blends better with the curved front bumper. 

--

fritz

RC:

1. It may not be street legal (the GB is missing and covering the country code may be a traffic offense in some countries, for example in Germany it would be "tampering"), furthermore you will be ticketed in certain countries (like Italy) because they car doesn't have the country code on the license plate (some EU countries require the country code, either in the license plate itself or outside on a sticker, I'm not kidding).

It is legal and many plates are sold in the UK without the "GB" integrated into the plate, but it does mean that you then have to have the old-style oval national sticker on the rear of the car when driving outside the home country. 

The OPC in Stuttgart sells it's own version of the plate frames, IIRC with "Porsche Stuttgart" printed on them. 

--

fritz

I never liked having the name of my garage on my number plate frame . why should I make free publicity on my car ? + it looks ugly.

So, I always buy plain black frames , aluminum anodized  , as it looks much better then the cheap plastic.

Now, about your' s John. It does king of work on yours as it is unusual for the UK + it has something to do with the origin of the car, looks exotic  .  Personaly, I would still try to find a frame with nothing written on it.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Same here - I always put neutral, black frames on my cars!

RC:
    It may not be street legal (the GB is missing and covering the country code may be a traffic offense in some countries, for example in Germany it would be "tampering"), furthermore you will be ticketed in certain countries (like Italy) because they car doesn't have the country code on the license plate (some EU countries require the country code, either in the license plate itself or outside on a sticker, I'm not kidding).

I specifically posted this on the Porsche (UK) forum as it is perfectly legal for use in the UK...

--

John H:
    RC:
    It may not be street legal (the GB is missing and covering the country code may be a traffic offense in some countries, for example in Germany it would be "tampering"), furthermore you will be ticketed in certain countries (like Italy) because they car doesn't have the country code on the license plate (some EU countries require the country code, either in the license plate itself or outside on a sticker, I'm not kidding).

I specifically posted this on the Porsche (UK) forum as it is perfectly legal for use in the UK...

I would be careful with that assumption:

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

Even if you won't get in trouble in the UK, you will get in trouble in France and other EU countries if you don't display the GB sign.

So my suggestion here would be (as others have indicated also): A black frame without anything and leave the GB sign alone. It is just too much in my opinion.

Example: My cars. I hate license plate frames and none of my cars has one. My dealer isn't too happy but I couldn't care less.

schmutz.jpg

Your license plate reminds me a little bit of these license plates and trust me, it is just too much ("hey look, I have a Porsche...").

file-63.jpg

euro-license.jpg

IMG_2750-copy.jpg

Of course everyone is free to do what he wants with his car and it may be also a matter of personal taste but too much is sometimes too much.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I get the idea behind it, but the execution is maybe a bit too 'in your face'. If you could get an original Porsche factory licenseplate surround, that would be cool, or one of those 'Porsche Werkswagen' surrounds maybe? But not one displaying several Porsche crests imo.

Many thanks for your impressions guys and I take them all on board..wink

Just a couple of points - The main Porsche crests are actually on the plates, not the surrounds, (a present from one of my sons).  There are no GB signs on any plates I use and I have no need for them as I don't take my own cars abroad but hire when I get there...

Also, I don't really think that having 'Porsche' displayed on the plate is any more shouting "I've got a Porsche" than RC's rear decals on his cars, and on all 981/991's, for that matter!

I'll certainly try to acquire some pressed aluminium/anodized ones though - any ideas where they may be available?

Thanks again...

--

Porker:

I get the idea behind it, but the execution is maybe a bit too 'in your face'. If you could get an original Porsche factory licenseplate surround, that would be cool, or one of those 'Porsche Werkswagen' surrounds maybe? But not one displaying several Porsche crests imo.

Good idea. Smiley The www.porsche.de/Werkswagen license plate frames are nice and at least genuine. Also most people don't know that they are actually put on cars Porsche wants to sell through the Werkswagen Verkauf (Factory Sales), they are not indicating a test car (these cars usually have "Erprobungsfahrzeug" on the car itself or nothing at all) but cars used by Porsche employees on a daily basis and then sold to anyone who wants to buy them. Doesn't really matter, the www.porsche.de/Werkswagen license plate frames are genuine and not something somebody came up with. They "fit" the "story" if you get the point.

Where to get one? Well, thats a different story but it is possible to find some, maybe through eBay.

--

Thanks - I'll have a look.

Actually, having bought my new surrounds from Germany, I thought they were 'genuine' and not "something somebody came up with"... They are stamped, on the inside, 'made in Germany' and very well designed (i.e. the variety of holes were well positioned which made them very easy to fit)... unlike British machining which would have inevitably meant more drilling required...!! 

--

RC:

2. There is no Autohaus Porsche Stuttgart (or Autohaus Stuttgart for that matter). Not that it really matters.

If you like it, keep it but be aware of the above points, especially if you travel outside GB.

As I understand it you don't need to have EU or GB on the registration plate itself when in euro countries as  long as you have a Euro or GB sticker on display that can be seen next to the plate. Here you have to actually ask for "euro-plates" otherwise you just get issued with plain ones - still perfectly legal here possibly because it is not as easy for us to travel between different EU countries. We have some wet stuff in the way...Smiley although in some parts here with the recent weather it is difficult to know where land ends and water begins Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

John H:

For some time now I've been fed up with having to drill through number plates to fix them or alternatively use sticky pads which inevitably work loose and fall off!

Last week I purchased some plate surrounds from Germany and have just fitted them.  These require no drilling or sticking of the plates themselves which can easily be removed, without damage, at any time.

Just wondered what you guys think of the look as well as the convenience?  Smiley

P1000438RT.jpg

P1000440RT.jpg

Never mind - I like them John Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

John H:

Actually, having bought my new surrounds from Germany, I thought they were 'genuine' and not "something somebody came up with"... They are stamped, on the inside, 'made in Germany' and very well designed (i.e. the variety of holes were well positioned which made them very easy to fit)... unlike British machining which would have inevitably meant more drilling required...!! 

They are readily available in Germany, either with a choice of  various silk-screen printed logos or messages on the wider bottom border of the frame or blank. The ones on my VW have the name of the dealer the car was bought from, as they were supplied "free" with the car when new (standard practice now for many (most?) new car dealers), and the ones on my 993 are blank as I bought them that way myself online. 
    I just didn't notice at the time that I could have (should have) ordered a curved plate for the front to better fit the shape of the bumper. That's something I need to put right! 

--

fritz

I got mine here , but they are sized for Swiss number plates and we have much smaller ones at the front .

But you can look to have an idea .

http://www.de-tomi.ch/avanti/avanti.htm

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

John, youre 997 GTS is a true classic - how about these:

http://www.classicshop.porsche.com/pcos/Zubehoer/Kennzeichen-Unterlage-Classic-520x110-mm.html

Over the last years I had to fight to get them for my 964 RS at the Porsche Classic Shop near Stuttgart - now you can easy order them online.Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

John H:

--

I hate to tell you but such surrounds are made mainly for the US market to satisfy certain needs of showing off with "genuine looking" stuff. In reality, 99% of these surrounds are made up and some are completely exaggerated. Or to make it short: A German Porschephile would never put them on his car. Smiley

John, please do not misunderstand me: If you like them, keep them. The feedback from fellow UK Porsche owners seems to be good, so I wouldn't think about it too much. I also suppose you don't drive your car in Germany, so it really doesn't matter. Smiley

There are various German (and even US) companies who make custom order surrounds with whatever you want written on them. This may be a good alternative. Like I said before though, if you like them, keep them. It is your car.  Smiley

--

Many thanks for the suggestions guys..cool

Are any of these sites available in English?  Sorry to say my language capabilities are sadly lacking..frown

RC - thanks for the sentiment - I'll keep them for now, pending the possibility of acquiring more genuine alternatives...

--

John H:

Are any of these sites available in English?  Sorry to say my language capabilities are sadly lacking..frown

Not the one in Switzerland . I can always offer to be the translator if you are interested in their frames .

They are in anodized aluminum,  swiss made,  machined  from one piece , so it s a clean finish . Maybe the size of the back fits your size plates ? and you could get 2 back frames . Size is : 110 x 500 mm  ( for the long ones )

They can engrave what ever you want at the bottom part of the frame, color will be in natural aluminum  ( included in price and text is in Arial format ) 

If you would need further assistance PM me and I can be the middle man .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Actually I think I have some English plates in the basement - could try them on mine and see if they fit a Swiss rear holder..

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

John H:

Many thanks for the suggestions guys..cool

RC - thanks for the sentiment - I'll keep them for now, pending the possibility of acquiring more genuine alternatives...

Here's the one I used for plain surrounds, based in Germany but also sells through Amazon UK as you see:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Registration-Holder-Carrier-especially-bumpers/dp/B005MN6F8Q/ref=sr_1_8?m=A39FVXP6IZI985&s=merchant-...

NB: I've linked here to a set of curved plates, as an example, but you would probably want one curved for the front bumper and one flat for the rear. 

PS: On re-reading that ad, I don't think that the plates are curved, as such. I think they are probably just pliable enough to take the shape of a curved bumper. The wording of the ad is not quite explicit on this point.

--

fritz

Hi John, I love your GTS. Looks simply gorgeous ... It's very tastefully spec'd... but these number plate surrounds IMvHO don't look good.

it's a matter of taste so it's up to you ... but I personally wouldn't do it. 

Why? As others have said, you don't need to have any words or extra Porsche badges on the car. If you go for plain black surrounds, IMO it doesn't add anything to the overall look.

I can't help thinking that you feel like the car's look needs a bit of rejuvenation after you having owned it for a while. My 2 cents: the car doesn't need any rejuvenating, it's just how you feel about it, a bit like when you felt like putting decals on the side of your previous 997.1 C2S. But that's just my subjective view ... it's your choice :)

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

fritz:

Here's the one I used for plain surrounds, based in Germany but also sells through Amazon UK as you see:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Registration-Holder-Carrier-especially-bumpers/dp/B005MN6F8Q/ref=sr_1_8?m=A39FVXP6IZI985&s=merchant-...

Hi Fritz - this is the Amazon site mine were bought from.... looks very similar?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007D3I0TK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails

--

easy_rider911:

Hi John, I love your GTS. Looks simply gorgeous ... It's very tastefully spec'd... but these number plate surrounds IMvHO don't look good.

it's a matter of taste so it's up to you ... but I personally wouldn't do it. 

Why? As others have said, you don't need to have any words or extra Porsche badges on the car. If you go for plain black surrounds, IMO it doesn't add anything to the overall look.

I can't help thinking that you feel like the car's look needs a bit of rejuvenation after you having owned it for a while. My 2 cents: the car doesn't need any rejuvenating, it's just how you feel about it, a bit like when you felt like putting decals on the side of your previous 997.1 C2S. But that's just my subjective view ... it's your choice :)

Hi Easy - We still seem to understand each another's thinking very well!  Smiley

Thought I'd do a bit of freshening-up, especially as my original plates were starting to peel and look scruffy.

Didn't want to drill holes or use sticky pads again, so surrounds seemed to be the answer.  Daren't take them off again just yet as they, and the new plates, were gifts from my son.  I actually quite like them, to be honest, but was concerned about comments suggesting they were fake and poor quality.. As it turns out they are very similar to the others recommended here.

I can live with it for a while but appreciate your rationale...Smiley

--

John H:
    fritz:

Hi Fritz - this is the Amazon site mine were bought from.... looks very similar?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007D3I0TK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails

Just another instance of several suppliers using the Amazon platform for selling their own product ranges on the internet. 
    As I mentioned above, these surrounds are now very widely used in Germany, so several manufacturers of plastic mouldings have got in on the act by making competing products. They are particularly useful in Germany as number plates have to be changed when cars change hands, unless they stay in the same administrative locality. Cars do not retain the same number throughout their lifetime, as is usually the case in the UK. The adoption of a standard plate format in the EU means that they can also be used in other countries. 
    These surrounds enable a quick and easy changeover of the plates without having to drill them, and eliminate both the ugly screw-heads which tend to show as rust spots when the plastic caps have perished in the sun and fallen off, and the cracking of the acrylic UK plates which so often arises around the screw holes. 
    In your case, they'd make it easier to swap your personalised plates when the time comes to change cars. 

--

fritz

Hi Fritz - Just wanted to say many thanks for your time and posts on this subject.  Very much appreciated... wink

Hi Gnil - Many thanks also for your offer as a translator.  I'll stick for the time being, but certainly bear it in mind for the future... wink

Hi Blueflame - Likewise for your suggestions.... So many helpful folks on this board...Smiley

--

easy_rider911:

Smiley Very good analysis.

--

I've already agreed with this in my reply to Easy's post...heart

In this reply I mentioned that the original plates, fitted by the OPC at delivery, were "starting to peel and look scruffy." 

The peeling was from the edges, which is why my thinking was that 'surrounds' would alleviate this for the future!  yes

--

@John: yes, dealer plates can sometimes be less than great quality. I've had various plates made by a firm called demon plates. The quality is great. Never had a problem.

http://www.demonplates.com

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764085 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436355 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260974 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257908 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82608 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876724 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808745 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM