Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

watt:

kissThe trickiness of the new Gt3 is already in evidence in LA - my body man has already fixed Elon Musk's newly stuffed gt3.  Still requires sone driving skills it seems

Nonetheless, good to hear that he still enjoys some "real" cars. Smiley

Smiley

Ferdie:
    watt:

kissThe trickiness of the new Gt3 is already in evidence in LA - my body man has already fixed Elon Musk's newly stuffed gt3.  Still requires sone driving skills it seems

Nonetheless, good to hear that he still enjoys some "real" cars. Smiley

Smiley

At the US taxpayers' expense too -- he's skilled in corruption if not at  the wheelSmiley

Watt: Why you say corruption re Elon Musk? I can't think of many people who are being more impactful (in a good way) on modern times has Elon.......

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

many of his companies require government financial assistance. 

So....thankfully some of my taxes are being put towards pushing mankind forward.....Didn't he pay the loans back....

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

a very nice article blush

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/car-reviews/richard-hammond-porsche-911-gt3-3005465

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

McLaren 12C
    Technically brilliant but lacks soul and personality. £176,000

I thought the 12C was thought highly of by the TG people!

--

"Form follows function"

SuzyF:

Without going too far off-topic, i can only say: drive and compare a C2S and a C4S.... I know this may sound weird and a lot of people don't believe me, but the C4S feels more "alive". I'm not sure, but I think Porsche has tweaked the chassis of the C4S differently compared to the C2S and is, because of that, more tailhappy than a 2wd 991. (Very controlable though)

This, together with the slightly better steering feel makes the C4S nicer to drive, regardless what weather conditions you're driving in.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

Another point we agreed haha. Few years ago I drove a 997 C2S and C4S back to back and the 4S is so much more fun to drive and so much more confidence inspiring. I also tried the 991 C2S and the 991 C4S back to back and the difference is even more apparent. Not sure why Porsche even bother with making the C2/C2S anymore other than to grab some low end sales.

--

If that is truly the case (and I don't know personally), it might be because the confidence of 4WD allows the average driver to drive faster in any given situation and therefore further up the fun scale. 

But I don't think C2S buyers view their purchase as low end in order to save the €7.000 on a €100.000+ car. It is a matter of tradition/preference and there will always be a market for RWD.

--

"Form follows function"

I changed from a 4S to a 2S because I found the 2S more fun to drive. The 4S is definitely more planted in the front, but hence it also has less 911 feel. 

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

bluelines:

I changed from a 4S to a 2S because I found the 2S more fun to drive. The 4S is definitely more planted in the front, but hence it also has less 911 feel. 

Exactly the same for me .

Now this is valid on the 997 as reports show that on the 991 you can hardly ( if any ) feel a difference due to the electric steering .

To the general public the C2 is viewed as a ' lesser' 911 . How many times do I have people saying things like that to me when they ask me if my car is a 4S  : '' ho, a 2 S, that's also nice I suppose , will you get the 4S next time ? ''

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I also prefer a 2WD than 4WD, that´s why I opt for a 911C2.

J.Seven

bluelines:

This cannot be valid for the 991, the drive feel is quite similar.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Dear all,

I have finally received my 991 GT3 last Saturday!
    Because I could say things that could "hurt" you, let me introduce myself first. :)

I am 37 years old and I have a young child (1 year old). I live in Paris and I am used to do track days (twice a month) on "big" circuits (Le Mans, Magny-Cours, Dijon, Spa, Nurburgring...). 

By the past, I had several cars (Mini Cooper S, BMW 335i, BMW M3 E90, Audi R8 V8, Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4, Ferrari 458 Italia, Ferrari 458 Spider...). 
    And I had the chance to drive great cars, both on track and road (Porsche 997 GT3RS, McLaren 12C, Nissan GT-R...).  
    Today, I have a Audi SQ5 and a BMW M3 CRT (to sell). And a new car is about to come in 3 months, if God wants (Ferrari 458 Speciale). 
    Since now you know everything about me, let's talk about the GT3! :)

I was one of the first to order the car, in March 2013. Because I wanted the lift option, the delivery was scheduled for November 2013. And then, the "famous" delay happened... I think you all know the story. 

First contact with the car. With leather, alcantara and carbon fiber (mostly) everywhere, the interior is beautiful. 

I had 500 km to do from my dealer to my home. Perfect to meet and discover the car. 

13897212810261.JPG

13897213360582.JPG

13897213449093.JPG

13897213536864.JPG

13897213616705.JPG

13897213710176.JPG

13897213796787.JPG

In summary, here are what I have noticed:

- Personality
    The 911 has really got its own personality. Because I was waiting for Porsche to offer a real modern 911 with a "perfect" PDK (read below), I thought this 991 GT3 was perfect for me. This is my very first Porsche. And I still have a lot to learn and understand about how the 911 works. But I can feel from the very beginning that the car is very different to drive compared to the other ones I had.

- Suspension
    I was surprised... Because it is not the RS model and because all the press said it can be a daily car, I expected a "comfortable" car, like a R8. But it is not. It is firmer. Nothing bad but it is not as supple as I thought. And the "sport" suspension mode is, of course, firmer. Anyway, after 500 km of travel, my asses had nothing to complain. :)
    It is not the case with a 458...

- Direction / Steering wheel
    Impossible to notice that it is electric! The direction has real weight, and seems to be precise enough.
    The direction is not as direct as a 458. I have to switch my habits...

- PDK
    OK, it works well. I hated the previous PDK (I drove a 997 Turbo S). And I think the new PDK is just okay in the 991 Carrera 4S. In this GT3, the PDK does the job. It is not as good as the 458 one but I think I need to drive more, to try the Sport mode and in the high revs.

- Engine
    Because the car is brand new, I drove very carefully and smoothly. 5.000 rpm max. I found the car "ordinary". Nothing exceptional. And then, something happened when I pressed the accelerator stronger... From 5 to 7.000 mrpm (I did not try higher yet), the acceleration feel is incredible! As the engine sound!! And then I remembered that it is an atmospheric engine, all the power is in the high revs!

- Sound
    Like I said, the 911 has its own personality. And the engine sound is part of it. It is different from what I knew until now. I did not try the high revs so I think I will be back on that point later.

- Brakes
    I did not order the PCCB option (I do lots of track days, remember? :)
    But the pedal feel is extraordinary!! I can't wait to try that of circuit. Seems phenomenal!

- Chassis
    I drove on wet roads, cold temperature, with Michelin Sport Cup 2. You guess: not the ideal conditions. Anyway, the GT3 was absolutely perfect. It never seemed dangerous.
    You do not notice the rear wheels turning but you ask yourself how the car can be so agile on very tight corners... :)

- Options
    The front lift option is mandatory! Do not forget it.
    And it is a shame that you can't spec the GT3 with parking sensors (available on a 458 Speciale for instance).

First conclusions
    Well, one day and 500 km of highway roads are not enough to perfectly know the car. But the first km showed me that I need to explore the high revs and to turn everything on Sport mode: the best is to come! :))

Congratulations on your first Porsche! indecision Keep the feel back coming!

--

RC:
    bluelines:

This cannot be valid for the 991, the drive feel is quite similar.

I can't say since I have no experience, but judging from the reviews this does not seem to be the valid for the 991.

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells

igirl:

Dear all,

Because I could say things that could "hurt" you, let me introduce myself first. :)

I am 37 years old and I have a young child (1 year old). I live in Paris and I am used to do track days (twice a month) on "big" circuits (Le Mans, Magny-Cours, Dijon, Spa, Nurburgring...). 

By the past, I had several cars (Mini Cooper S, BMW 335i, BMW M3 E90, Audi R8 V8, Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4, Ferrari 458 Italia, Ferrari 458 Spider...). 
    And I had the chance to drive great cars, both on track and road (Porsche 997 GT3RS, McLaren 12C, Nissan GT-R...).  
    Today, I have a Audi SQ5 and a BMW M3 CRT (to sell). And a new car is about to come in 3 months, if God wants (Ferrari 458 Speciale). 
    Since now you know everything about me, let's talk about the GT3! :)

I was one of the first to order the car, in March 2013. Because I wanted the lift option, the delivery was scheduled for November 2013. And then, the "famous" delay happened... I think you all know the story. 

First contact with the car. With leather, alcantara and carbon fiber (mostly) everywhere, the interior is beautiful. 

I had 500 km to do from my dealer to my home. Perfect to meet and discover the car. 

13897212810261.JPG

13897213360582.JPG

13897213449093.JPG

13897213536864.JPG

13897213616705.JPG

13897213710176.JPG

13897213796787.JPG

In summary, here are what I have noticed:

- Personality
    The 911 has really got its own personality. Because I was waiting for Porsche to offer a real modern 911 with a "perfect" PDK (read below), I thought this 991 GT3 was perfect for me. This is my very first Porsche. And I still have a lot to learn and understand about how the 911 works. But I can feel from the very beginning that the car is very different to drive compared to the other ones I had.

- Suspension
    I was surprised... Because it is not the RS model and because all the press said it can be a daily car, I expected a "comfortable" car, like a R8. But it is not. It is firmer. Nothing bad but it is not as supple as I thought. And the "sport" suspension mode is, of course, firmer. Anyway, after 500 km of travel, my asses had nothing to complain. :)
    It is not the case with a 458...

- Direction / Steering wheel
    Impossible to notice that it is electric! The direction has real weight, and seems to be precise enough.
    The direction is not as direct as a 458. I have to switch my habits...

- PDK
    OK, it works well. I hated the previous PDK (I drove a 997 Turbo S). And I think the new PDK is just okay in the 991 Carrera 4S. In this GT3, the PDK does the job. It is not as good as the 458 one but I think I need to drive more, to try the Sport mode and in the high revs.

- Engine
    Because the car is brand new, I drove very carefully and smoothly. 5.000 rpm max. I found the car "ordinary". Nothing exceptional. And then, something happened when I pressed the accelerator stronger... From 5 to 7.000 mrpm (I did not try higher yet), the acceleration feel is incredible! As the engine sound!! And then I remembered that it is an atmospheric engine, all the power is in the high revs!

- Sound
    Like I said, the 911 has its own personality. And the engine sound is part of it. It is different from what I knew until now. I did not try the high revs so I think I will be back on that point later.

- Brakes
    I did not order the PCCB option (I do lots of track days, remember? :)
    But the pedal feel is extraordinary!! I can't wait to try that of circuit. Seems phenomenal!

- Chassis
    I drove on wet roads, cold temperature, with Michelin Sport Cup 2. You guess: not the ideal conditions. Anyway, the GT3 was absolutely perfect. It never seemed dangerous.
    You do not notice the rear wheels turning but you ask yourself how the car can be so agile on very tight corners... :)

- Options
    The front lift option is mandatory! Do not forget it.
    And it is a shame that you can't spec the GT3 with parking sensors (available on a 458 Speciale for instance).

First conclusions
    Well, one day and 500 km of highway roads are not enough to perfectly know the car. But the first km showed me that I need to explore the high revs and to turn everything on Sport mode: the best is to come! :))

Welcome iGirl - Congratulations and thank you for your nice review :)

One question - have you explored options for baby seats that can be fitted in the bucket seat? I assume the passenger airbag cannot be deactivated either. 

boytronic:

I assume the passenger airbag cannot be deactivated either. 

Can't be done from factory, but can be installed via Tequipment for the bucket seats.

--

Previous

bluelines:
    boytronic:

Can't be done from factory, but can be installed via Tequipment for the bucket seats.

Wow I did not know this. Thank you blue lines !

boytronic:
    bluelines:
    boytronic:

Wow I did not know this. Thank you blue lines !

At least my dealer promised me this Smiley

In the end it should not be that hard. Cut the wire and install a switch SmileySmiley

--

Previous

hi igirl,

first of all, congratulations. the car looks and surely is wonderful. i did not understand one point:do you feel that the GT3 in the normal mode is more or less comfortable than the F458 in the normal mode? can you please elaborate on comparing the suspension feel in both cars?

also, how would you compare the ESP thresholds? what does the normal mode in the GT3 correspond to in the F458? SPORT? i suppose there is nothing like a WET mode in the GT3, correct?

thanks, peter

Nice build igirl. Félicitations.

Some owners who just got their cars seem to suffer from fault messages. Hope it gets solved quickly.

RC, can you shed some light on this? 

igirl:

Congratulations! Smiley Great looking GT3.

--

Previous

andyFE:

hi igirl,

first of all, congratulations. the car looks and surely is wonderful. i did not understand one point:do you feel that the GT3 in the normal mode is more or less comfortable than the F458 in the normal mode? can you please elaborate on comparing the suspension feel in both cars?

also, how would you compare the ESP thresholds? what does the normal mode in the GT3 correspond to in the F458? SPORT? i suppose there is nothing like a WET mode in the GT3, correct?

thanks, peter

Hello Peter

Well, in Normal mode, the 458 is a little bit firm but OK for everyday use IMO. It is the default mode. And you can activate the bumpy road mode to get more comfort (it is not "day and night" but it works).
    In the GT3, it is the contrary: the default mode is the "comfort" mode. But it is quite firm. Firmer than the bumpy road mode of the 458.

About ESP, I have to try the GT3 on track to answer.
    The GT3 does not have several modes like the manettino of the 458.
    You just can activate:
    - PDK in Sport
    - Suspension in Sport
    - Exhaust in Sport.
    Nothing about the engine. But you can disable the ESP and TC.

DuckieRS:

Nice build igirl. Félicitations.

Some owners who just got their cars seem to suffer from fault messages. Hope it gets solved quickly.

RC, can you shed some light on this? 

Some have reported that it's probably cam sensor failures that force the GT3 to enter limp mode but no one knows for sure yet : There is one owner that has had the sensor replaced, but after one day of driving the error and loss in power had returned Smiley

I'm sure it's nothing major and probably just the first batch of teething troubles. Fingers crossed.

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

bluelines:
    igirl:

Congratulations! Smiley Great looking GT3.

+1. Thanks for treating us with some pics!

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

igirl:
    andyFE:

hi igirl,

thanks, peter

Hello Peter

Well, in Normal mode, the 458 is a little bit firm but OK for everyday use IMO. It is the default mode. And you can activate the bumpy road mode to get more comfort (it is not "day and night" but it works).
    In the GT3, it is the contrary: the default mode is the "comfort" mode. But it is quite firm. Firmer than the bumpy road mode of the 458.

About ESP, I have to try the GT3 on track to answer.
    The GT3 does not have several modes like the manettino of the 458.
    You just can activate:
    - PDK in Sport
    - Suspension in Sport
    - Exhaust in Sport.
    Nothing about the engine. But you can disable the ESP and TC.

thanks igirl! i find the normal damper setting in the F458 quite good, just as you say the 'bumpy ride mode' does not improve it by a lot. in fact, i do like the WET mode in inclement weather and i am a bit worried that the GT3 does not have anything like it. but maybe the GT3 has already more traction than the F458 to start with due to the rear engine. please let me know how you feel about comparing the cars. peter

Congrats on your new beautiful toy and thanks for sharing your ownership experience with us. Looking forward to hear updates from you in the future.

How do you compare the LP 560 to the 458 and GT3? Handling, confort, engine sound, gearbox etc. Thanks in advance.

J.Seven

Congratulation igirl. Buckets, full leather and carbon trim are wonderfull. i like.

Tell how tall are you ? Because the sport buckets seats don't have height adjustment, i am affraid

lamarmotte:

Congratulation igirl. Buckets, full leather and carbon trim are wonderfull. i like.

Tell how tall are you ? Because the sport buckets seats don't have height adjustment, i am affraid

1m85

I have not tried yet but I think I can wear an helmet inside without any problem (it was not the case with the Gallardo!)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688463 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408667 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234753 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65374 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773300 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM