Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Macan Facelift 2018?

What's unspectacular about it?

Sounds great from outside. From inside, exhaust with PSE sounds fine but engine itself is a bit sewing machine like.... performance and go is great to be clear. Just the sound is not

When I got the Macan Turbo, at the driving experience at Silverstone they also let me drive a "nagel-neu" Cayenne Turbo s back to back. Engine in the CTT is absolutely fantastic, but t rolled more, it was heavier and a bit looser, and the whole interface inside felt markedly dated vs the Macan. Perhaps the solution will be the new Cayenne Turbo, as long as they don't go and make it too wide to basically make it unusable in London...

Sorry RC but the V8 turbo in the Cayenne isn't much better than the V6 in the Macan turbo. They are both very flat, linear and boring engine compared to n/a engines you can find in cars like the R8. Personally I don't find the V6 sounding much worse from outside. Inside the sound is quite low though, but I suspect it is the same in the new Cayennes anyway.

The PDK in the Macan makes the driving experience better at least compared to the older slush boxes. Combined with a much lower weight, lower center of gravity, it makes the Macan more fun. Like you said the Macan turbo is fast enough (could always use more hp of course) and 35% cheaper than a Cayenne TTS. Unless you need more space, it is a no brainer. With 40-50 more hp and a somewhat tighter chassis, it would be an even bigger problem for the Panamera and for the Cayenne.

I drove the base model Cayenne with whatever crappy engine it had, and honestly, felt totally fine to me. Can't imagine how the turbo could be any worse.

Don't know why people have such high expectations of giant SUVs.

Until you have a go at the Cayenne Turbo S...................

--

SciFrog:

Sorry RC but the V8 turbo in the Cayenne isn't much better than the V6 in the Macan turbo. They are both very flat, linear and boring engine compared to n/a engines you can find in cars like the R8. Personally I don't find the V6 sounding much worse from outside. Inside the sound is quite low though, but I suspect it is the same in the new Cayennes anyway.

Have you driven the V8 in the facelift? In my opinion, it is a great engine and it sounds like a...V8. Not very loud but nice. The V6 Biturbo is just a lackluster in my opinion but like I said, you seem to love the Macan Turbo, so please enjoy it and don't let my opinion spoil your fun.  Smiley

The PDK in the Macan makes the driving experience better at least compared to the older slush boxes. Combined with a much lower weight, lower center of gravity, it makes the Macan more fun. Like you said the Macan turbo is fast enough (could always use more hp of course) and 35% cheaper than a Cayenne TTS. Unless you need more space, it is a no brainer. With 40-50 more hp and a somewhat tighter chassis, it would be an even bigger problem for the Panamera and for the Cayenne.

The Macan Turbo just doesn't feel like a Porsche, this is my biggest complain. It feels and sounds very generic. Is it the sportiest SUV on the market? Very likely but I still prefer a Cayenne Turbo with PDCC. The Cayenne offers a certain drive feel and solidity, it is difficult to explain. The Macan Turbo feels more nimble but so does an Audi Q5 as well. SmileyDrive the RSQ3 Performance, like I suggested before (not sure if available in the US) and this small SUV feels sportier than the Macan Turbo. No surprise here, it is much lighter (and a tiny bit smaller).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I have a Macan 2016 Turbo and I have driven a friends Cayenne Turbo, both with air suspension. The Cayenne Turbo felt stiffer and noisier (you really felt the joints on the road), probably because the 21" wheels. For the Macan I opted for the 20" wheels and I'm happy I did. The car is very fast - it felt just as fast as the Cayenne - and once you lower the Macan, by 10mm, if feels sportier than the Cayenne.

I'm very happy with the Macan and I guess it is because I never had an expectation that I would drive the Macan at 9/10. It really isn't a sports car. It is a very fast, great handling small SUV that most of the times feels as very luxurious dd.

--

2016 Carrera 4 GTS Jet Black,

2016 Macan Turbo Agata Grey,

2012 Infiniti G370 Grey,

2014 Mercedes E350 Steel Gray

On another note we have a Volvo SUV this week, XC90 T6 or something like that. I really wanted to like this vehicle which is a 7 seater crossover basically, and indeed it sort of gives the feeling that it drives more like a car than a SUV. That said, the steering feel is just bad. Make the car feel it is made for grandmothers or people who don't like cars. The sound of the engine is simply atrocious. Would be better if it was silenced as much as possible, which it isn't. The interior kind of looks OK at first but the Tesla inspired screen is glitchy and not very intuitive. And what is wrong with all the shiny plastic buttons everywhere? Very Tacky. If I was in the market for such a car I would write it off the list after a test drive. In some ways it felt like being in a failed Tesla interior which trounces it in many ways. At the mall they had a Model X and it almost made me regret getting the RRS. Such a cool car in many ways. But no regrets.

Back to the Macan, in is in every way leagues above the Volvo.

SciFrog:

On another note we have a Volvo SUV this week, XC90 T6 or something like that. I really wanted to like this vehicle which is a 7 seater crossover basically, and indeed it sort of gives the feeling that it drives more like a car than a SUV. That said, the steering feel is just bad. Make the car feel it is made for grandmothers or people who don't like cars. The sound of the engine is simply atrocious. Would be better if it was silenced as much as possible, which it isn't. The interior kind of looks OK at first but the Tesla inspired screen is glitchy and not very intuitive. And what is wrong with all the shiny plastic buttons everywhere? Very Tacky. If I was in the market for such a car I would write it off the list after a test drive. In some ways it felt like being in a failed Tesla interior which trounces it in many ways. At the mall they had a Model X and it almost made me regret getting the RRS. Such a cool car in many ways. But no regrets.

Back to the Macan, in is in every way leagues above the Volvo.

SciFrog - you are comparing apples with oranges here. Macan is intended very much to be a sporty almost sports car SUV. The Volvo is not, so of course the Macan will have much greater appeal to anyone wanting a 911 character SUV. 

XC-90 is not a sporty SUV and does not pretend to be. It's a large supremely comfortable and practical vehicle; for someone who wants this with the ability to carry up to 7 people; carry a large amount of luggage and /or tow a large trailer, horse box or heavy caravan it leaves Macan for dead. I also prefer the contemporary, and individual interior design compared with the typical Teutonic austere cockpit.

Horses for courses my friend,  to say that Macan "is in every way leagues above the Volvo" is not an accurate statement, it depends entirely what you expect and want from an SUV.

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

pcosta:

I have a Macan 2016 Turbo and I have driven a friends Cayenne Turbo, both with air suspension. The Cayenne Turbo felt stiffer and noisier (you really felt the joints on the road), probably because the 21" wheels. For the Macan I opted for the 20" wheels and I'm happy I did. The car is very fast - it felt just as fast as the Cayenne - and once you lower the Macan, by 10mm, if feels sportier than the Cayenne.

I'm very happy with the Macan and I guess it is because I never had an expectation that I would drive the Macan at 9/10. It really isn't a sports car. It is a very fast, great handling small SUV that most of the times feels as very luxurious dd.

Does your friend have the current Cayenne Turbo? We just traveled to Austria for a family vacation with the Cayenne S Diesel and while it is pretty clear that more luggage fit in and the rear passengers (kids) enjoyed better comfort (they also didn't complain about getting nausea, something they always did in the Macan), the drive was also quite enjoyable because the Cayenne is so comfortable (maybe a bit too comfortable... Smiley). The car definitely would profit from PDCC (not available for the S Diesel) but other than that, it is incredible what you can do with a fully loaded Cayenne on winter tires. Smiley I just wish the S Diesel had more power but as a good indicator for what kind of power people need in a SUV to be happy with it, I think the S Diesel makes a point. Not a hp less though, I cannot imagine driving a simple Diesel or V6. Smiley

I think the Macan Turbo is rather a car for very small families and/or people who want a sportier drive feel in a SUV (although a Cayenne Turbo with PDCC won't be much slower through curves). 

As for a luxurious DD, try the new Q5. Worlds ahead of the current Macan. This will change however with the facelift...I hope.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Small update on the Volvo, there was a drive mode setting, switched to dynamic... ride became harsher but not sportier, steering feel got a little better but very artificial, car became a bit noisier which ends up being a bad thing since it sounds bad...

Neither this car or the Macan are SUV, they are crossovers. 

Well, take the new cayenne face and scale it to the smaller Macan and voila.

I don't see a big change coming in the engines...maybe the introduction of an hybrid but no need for now, it is selling well.

the new center console could be part of the facelift...but again that is a big change from .1 to .2 and keeping the current one will turn the macan to be the most outdated technology wise car from the fleet.

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

They need to add a V8 engine and it will be just perfect

cayenne has only the top turbo model in V8 now so no chance for little Macan to get it Smiley

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

No hybrid version planned for this platform. Will be released with the next generation....

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

996FourEss:

They need to add a V8 engine and it will be just perfect

Smiley I love the Macan but not the engine options. One reason I ordered a GLC 63 S AMG. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC, do you know if they will add the high-tech center console in the facelift?

that would be an enormous upgrade for PAG angry

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

the-missile:

RC, do you know if they will add the high-tech center console in the facelift?

that would be an enormous upgrade for PAG angry

Think new Cayenne interior design with a few differences... Smiley

Engine choices seem to remain the same though but a small V8 is still in the works as far as I heard, not sure what car will get it (probably not the Macan but who knows...).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

The current corporate V8 is already small at 4.0L, if they go any smaller it would have overlapped the V6 range.

--

Whoopsy:

The current corporate V8 is already small at 4.0L, if they go any smaller it would have overlapped the V6 range.

There is/was a long time rumor of a smaller capacity V8 in the works but so far, it hasn't surfaced yet...if it ever will.

--

If they standardize the corporate engines to 2.0L I4, 3.0L V6 and 4.0L V8 they could theoretically use the same pistons for all...............

Their current 3.6L V6 already makes 440HP, and the 4.0L V8 is brand new, doesn't make sense to try and make a smaller V8.

--

Whoopsy:

If they standardize the corporate engines to 2.0L I4, 3.0L V6 and 4.0L V8 they could theoretically use the same pistons for all...............

Their current 3.6L V6 already makes 440HP, and the 4.0L V8 is brand new, doesn't make sense to try and make a smaller V8.

This isn't necessarily about power but I guess they follow your logic because there isn't one...yet. 

Just imagine a Macan GTS with a n/a 400 hp V8. Wonderful. Not going to happen though, I know. 

--

you have the previous gen cayenne GTS V8 for that enjoyment. Smiley

to really enjoy it, you need to go high in rpm which gives an awesome sound...win win Smiley

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

RC:
    Whoopsy:

This isn't necessarily about power but I guess they follow your logic because there isn't one...yet. 

Just imagine a Macan GTS with a n/a 400 hp V8. Wonderful. Not going to happen though, I know. 

Just imagine a Macan Turbo S with a 4.0L TT V8 with 550HPSmiley

Or with a hybrid add-on, 680HP Macan! Smiley

--

fine to detune it to 500 bhp, still will be great

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Just imagine a Macan Turbo S with a 4.0L TT V8 with 550HPSmiley

Or with a hybrid add-on, 680HP Macan! Smiley

Smiley Macan Turbo S with V8 Biturbo, 530 hp, Macan GTS chassis and new Cayenne interior. A dream come true. 

Unfortunately... Smiley Hybrid with 600 hp would suffice, there is no need for 680 hp in the Macan.

I think Porsche doesn't see the market here but looking at how many GLC 63 S AMG people have already ordered blindly (my sales guy says he has no more GLC 63 production slots for 2018, also because Mercedes has delayed the introduction to spring 2018), I think Porsche is missing an opportunity here.

--

tell us Macan turbo S is coming, I will order it Smiley especially V8 even with only 1 turbo Smiley

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 almost done...currently at Exclusiv

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

RC:

I think Porsche doesn't see the market here but looking at how many GLC 63 S AMG people have already ordered blindly (my sales guy says he has no more GLC 63 production slots for 2018, also because Mercedes has delayed the introduction to spring 2018), I think Porsche is missing an opportunity here.

I think Porsche know that, but their own product hierachy is more important to them. I will not say say don't care about competitors, but it is not a primary goal. Where for example BMW and Audi look very close to each other.
    Porsche want to protect the Cayenne like they protect the 911. A V8 Macan is too "good", like a 6 cylinder Cayman/Boxster is too good.
    Look to the Boxster/Cayman in the past, always somewhat disappointing, espacially on engines. But with the 4 pott 718 they overdo it. Disapointing sales numbers. Good job....
    --

daily (no fun): BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765686 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437435 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261488 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258281 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82811 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5334 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877652 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809981 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM