Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

Very professional footage  Thanks for posting, Boxster Coupe GTS...

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche Macan -- Driving Footage...

I love that shot in the first one (driving scenes) of the mantis whipping its head around as the Macan zooms by.

Macan Turbo in  wild:

porsche-macan-turbo-c973521122013181333_7.jpgporsche-macan-turbo-c973521122013181333_5.jpgporsche-macan-turbo-c973521122013181333_10.jpgporsche-macan-turbo-c973521122013181333_8.jpgporsche-macan-turbo-c973521122013181333_2.jpgporsche-macan-turbo-c993921122013194031_2.jpgporsche-macan-turbo-c973521122013181333_1.jpgporsche-macan-turbo-c973521122013181333_4.jpgporsche-macan-turbo-c973521122013181333_3.jpg

--

looking good - except the rims...20" min.

hunterone:

They are 20" Macan SportDesign Wheels. Very nice rims - look especially good on the white Turbo.

hunterone:

Agreed. Also I still think the S looks better. 

Ferdie:
    CGX car nut:

"From the first components to the finished Macan, the latest member of the Porsche family is made in Leipzig. In accordance with advanced principles of modular manufacturing..."

Isn't that a polite way of stating Porsche is using component sets from VW?

Rather the opposite, isn´t it? There are no other Volkswagen Group production plants in Leipzig.

Just to briefly revisit this topic and another recent discussion on the sourcing of various Porsche car bodies: I have just read a German online press report that the newly built Porsche factory in Leipzig at which the Macan bodies are to be assmbled and painted has just gone into operation. 

--

fritz

We just received word from the dealer that my wife's Macan S goes into production on March 7th and will be on  the ship April 4. Porsche will release to dealer on May 9th. So looks like a mid May delivery for us.

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, 2015 Porsche MACAN S (May 2014 Delivery) New York

fritz:
    Ferdie:
    CGX car nut:

"From the first components to the finished Macan, the latest member of the Porsche family is made in Leipzig. In accordance with advanced principles of modular manufacturing..."

Isn't that a polite way of stating Porsche is using component sets from VW?

Rather the opposite, isn´t it? There are no other Volkswagen Group production plants in Leipzig.

Just to briefly revisit this topic and another recent discussion on the sourcing of various Porsche car bodies: I have just read a German online press report that the newly built Porsche factory in Leipzig at which the Macan bodies are to be assmbled and painted has just gone into operation. 

Again, to reiterate, fabricating bodies-in-white and then sending those bodies through a paint show and final assembly does little to illustrate that there is significant component sharing between Porsche and the rest of the Volkswagen empire, predominately with Audi.  Electronic architectures, suspension components and underfloor panels are amongst the more costly component sets shared between models.  Whilst the Macan introduces air suspension to the class, one can rest assured that those components are, for the majority, shared with other vehicles.

These technical details are interesting, but Porsche has always used (and shared) parts from other manufacturers.  Original 356s shared VW headlights and numerous other electrical components, and even "beehive" tail lights manufactured by SAAB.  

And seems to me there might have been an even earlier and more fundamental connection between Porsche and VW, beginning with a certain German engineer who built a peoples' wagon and then wanted to design his own more sporty version...

Wonderbar:

These technical details are interesting, but Porsche has always used (and shared) parts from other manufacturers.  Original 356s shared VW headlights and numerous other electrical components, and even "beehive" tail lights manufactured by SAAB.  

And seems to me there might have been an even earlier and more fundamental connection between Porsche and VW, beginning with a certain German engineer who built a peoples' wagon and then wanted to design his own more sporty version...

Please note that part sharing is not entirely equivalent to sharing component sets.   For example, sharing the electrical and electronic architecture and environmental systems is more comprehensive than sharing tail lamps or engine blocks.  

VW's MQB and MLB platform programs fix geometric parameters across models allowing the sharing of the aforementioned component sets, but more importantly capital equipment on the assembly lines. In the MQB system, for example, the relationship between the front axle line and the foot pedal box is fixed for all models utilizing that platform.  

Furthermore, this allows for the parameterization of data in the modeling and design systems.  Cost economics are more favorable since component set development costs are amortized amongst a greater volume of component sets shared and development time for each model is significantly reduced.  This, in principle, reduces working capital needs, increases gross margins, resulting in higher equity valuations for Volkswagen.  Furthermore, by reducing time to develop new models, VW is better positioned to capture changing consumer tastes and trends, as well as increase plant utilization through flexible manufacturing of multiple product types.

Thanks CGX, good information...

Wonderbar:

Thanks CGX, good information...

You're welcome.  

I hate to say this, but I would buy the SQ5 over the Macan angry. As a huge porsche fan I would never before thought of saying this. The Audi looks more macular and have that fantastic 313 TDI engine. Maybe the Macan will grow on me when seen live, but based on pictures alone I think it has too much Beetle DNA and gives at least me too much of "little brother" and "entry model" feelings. And this is also for the Macan turbo which is supposed to be the top of the line models. Also think porsche must figure out a new way of naming their models since the turbo badge would be applicable for most models very soon.... Is it only me that thinks the Font that Porsche uses for model description looks a bit dated nowadaysSmiley

The car will no doubt be a better drive while hitting corners than the Audi, but apart from that.... 

Maybe I'll regret this when ordering one after having taking it for a spin in April cool

Lukas:

The car will no doubt be a better drive while hitting corners than the Audi, but apart from that.... 

Maybe I'll regret this when ordering one after having taking it for a spin in April cool

Then again a SUV is still a vehicle with greater emphasis on utility than sport.

Lukas:

I hate to say this, but I would buy the SQ5 over the Macan angry. As a huge porsche fan I would never before thought of saying this. The Audi looks more macular and have that fantastic 313 TDI engine. Maybe the Macan will grow on me when seen live, but based on pictures alone I think it has too much Beetle DNA and gives at least me too much of "little brother" and "entry model" feelings. And this is also for the Macan turbo which is supposed to be the top of the line models. Also think porsche must figure out a new way of naming their models since the turbo badge would be applicable for most models very soon.... Is it only me that thinks the Font that Porsche uses for model description looks a bit dated nowadaysSmiley

Driving a X3 35d (313 hp Diesel), which is very close in performance to the SQ5, I wouldn't agree. The X3 is boring as hell, the drive feel is boring, the steering is firm but feels disconnected and the chassis sucks big time, especially in tight turns. Overall, I would never buy a different SUV anymore than a Porsche SUV. Only exception maybe: The X5 M. This SUV was actually pretty close to the Cayenne Turbo drive feel.

The chassis setup, the AWD setup, everything is pure Porsche. The difference will be huge, so I would always get a Macan over an Audi Q5. At some point, the price difference isn't really important anymore if the cheaper car is boring as hell. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

CGX car nut:
    Lukas:

Then again a SUV is still a vehicle with greater emphasis on utility than sport.

I'm not so sure about this anymore. I love the Cayenne GTS and while the weight certainly didn't inspire much sportiness, the car really had that typical Porsche DNA drive feel and yes, it was fast and not necessarily straight line. I just drove over 300 km in a X3 35d and I started to hate this car, missing my former Cayenne GTS badly. Keep in mind that the X3 35d is not only lighter than the Cayenne GTS, it is also faster on the straight line (from 0-100 kph in 5.3 seconds vs. the tested 5.9 seconds of the Cayenne GTS). If you need a family car or a car to move stuff, why not get the sportiest SUV out there on the market? I guess that sumo wrestling isn't your sport though but it is a sport. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Any word on if they're going to offer LED headlights? There are a lot of things amiss with this car. No PDCC, no Sports Exhaust, No LED Lights.....

HotIce:

Any word on if they're going to offer LED headlights? There are a lot of things amiss with this car. No PDCC, no Sports Exhaust, No LED Lights.....

I have to agree here - launching the Macan in a stunning blue color, for instance, and then not offering it on the configurator or mentioning it anywhere isn't a smart move. Previously, I remember options that were to be launched at a later date were available on the configurator/mentioned on the website with an asterisk or warning window notifying the viewer of the late availability of the color/option. Porsche's silence on color choices and options is actually somewhat shocking but I suppose they know what they're doing. I also believe Porsche is still fine-tuning some last-minute aspects of the Macan which is why they've delayed the press introduction until February/March. I hope the LED headlights/PSE/PDCC/whatever come online in the very near future.

On another note, I'm going to be in London from January 9th so I plan on stopping by Harrods; there's apparently a Macan on display there from today until February 5th!

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Here is a bit of info I found on Rennlist regarding new options for the car. I believe the exterior colours are being made available from March but can't confirm this. The wheels are the same design as those on the 911 50.

New options December 2013.JPG

saddle brown looks like umber or close thereto - balck with that would be a nice combo imo and more useable as easier to clean than black on Luxor

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

This is the black/saddle bicolor interior.

Black saddle interior.JPG

So no word of LED headlights. Not word about Sports Exhaust just the standard exhaust painted black and Sapphire blue Metallic...This is unlike Porsche. 

But the article did note that PCCBs will be offered.  Let's be patient--this is a major introduction by Porsche, and the goodies will come along in time...

I don't find PCCB useful for this kind of car, perhaps it's more interesting the LED headlights and some more interior and exterior colors because right now the choice is really poor.

HotIce:

LED lights are coming as far as I heard. Same goes to PCCB. Not sure about PDCC though and due to the new turbo engines, fitting a sport exhaust is a challenge as far as I heard. Luckily they don't run on VTG chargers, so chances are good that we are actually going to see a sport exhaust at some point. Don't expect wonders (sound, loudness) though.

--

RC:
    HotIce:

LED lights are coming as far as I heard. Same goes to PCCB. Not sure about PDCC though and due to the new turbo engines, fitting a sport exhaust is a challenge as far as I heard. Luckily they don't run on VTG chargers, so chances are good that we are actually going to see a sport exhaust at some point. Don't expect wonders (sound, loudness) though.

The Macan S runs the same engine as the one used in the facelifted Panamera S models and those cars offer an optional sports exhaust. There shouldn't be a reason why Porsche can't offer it now, especially when their press release also mentioned that a sports exhaust will be offered on all models. Strange if they renege on that now.

On the other hand, the Cayenne Turbo/Turbo S, which uses the Panamera Turbo's engine, cannot be fitted with a sports exhaust even though the other petrol models can be [including the Panamera Turbo]. I've always wondered what the deal with that was.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

rulesdontapply:
    RC:
    HotIce:

The Macan S runs the same engine as the one used in the facelifted Panamera S models and those cars offer an optional sports exhaust. There shouldn't be a reason why Porsche can't offer it now, especially when their press release also mentioned that a sports exhaust will be offered on all models. Strange if they renege on that now.

On the other hand, the Cayenne Turbo/Turbo S, which uses the Panamera Turbo's engine, cannot be fitted with a sports exhaust even though the other petrol models can be [including the Panamera Turbo]. I've always wondered what the deal with that was.

rulesdontapply

The problem is that the Macan has less "room" for the exhaust and furthermore, emissions laws and sound emissions laws are always your enemy. It may take some more time.

--

Porsche currently have a few cars on display in Harrods in London and amongst them is this Macan. The big question I have to say is what genius in the marketing department thought this spec and colour shows the car off to best effect?? It looks totally bland and non-descript IMHO. Why didn't they put the Sapphire Blue car from the LA show on display or one just like it yes mail

Harrods.JPG

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806990 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449681 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267167 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90519 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887564 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836379 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM