Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Came across this thread on the Michelin web-site forum.

Seems that MPSS tyres won't be N-rated for 997 models until "at least 2014"  What the hell is happening... Smiley

http://motorsport.michelin.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Re: Michelin Pilot Super Sports

N rated or not…. loving the ones on our 997.  kiss  Would replace them with the same in a heartbeat.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

2014 is less than 2 months away 

4trac:

N rated or not…. loving the ones on our 997.  kiss  Would replace them with the same in a heartbeat.  

Are they voiding your warranty though? 

--

John H:
    4trac:

Are they voiding your warranty though? 

Only had one small warranty item so far, and I doubt the service staff even looked at tires when putting the repair through…. at least here I have no fears of this.  Others on this forum suggest it is different in some EU countries, so as usual you need to know the local context. 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

sfo:

2014 is less than 2 months away 

Yes but they state 2014 at the earliest!  They said, at one point, in 2012 that "it will happen very soon...Smiley

--

I have MPSS on my 7.2 GT3.

Battery and ignition barrel replaced under warranty a month ago without a murmur ..

I don't see how non N rated tires can have anything to do with a warranty problem, unless it is directly linked to the tires. For  sure that will not hold in a court of law.

I was waiting for the N rated, but after seeing so many people have the non-rated on their 997, ranging from the Carrera S , to the Turbo S , GT3 and even GT2 , on the track or on the street,   and nobody not being happy with them, I will also go this route by next summer when I'll need new tires.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I don't see how non N rated tires can have anything to do with a warranty problem, unless it is directly linked to the tires. For  sure that will not hold in a court of law.

I was waiting for the N rated, but after seeing so many people have the non-rated on their 997, ranging from the Carrera S , to the Turbo S , GT3 and even GT2 , on the track or on the street,   and nobody not being happy with them, I will also go this route by next summer when I'll need new tires.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The extended warranty is actually an insurance policy.

The insurer dictates the terms of that policy - in this case N-rated tyres.

If you don't comply with the terms of the policy then the insurer legally has the right to refuse cover.

Whether the insurer would refuse a claim for say the engine if the tyres weren't N-rated remains to be seen, but legally they would be within their rights to do so.

Why take the risk?

This would probably have also a lot to do with the dealer your are at and the relationship you have with him .

And most dealers will want the customer to remain loyal to the garage . I also recon Porsche will be ' objective ' in order to maintain a good relationship with the customer if , for example, the problem would be engine or electric  .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

For me the N rated tyres are like official approved parts. Similarly, some people buy for example a clutch or brake rotors etc from the part supplier directly in the supplier's own packaging and save some money whilst other insist to get it from the OPC in Porsche box.

I always use official parts and N rated tyres.

BTW, I've just got 4 P Zeros now to replace the Bridgestones which replaced the PS2s. I like to change brands and compare tyres as they are so quickly consumed on Porsche.

--

"Form follows function"

Gnil:

This would probably have also a lot to do with the dealer your are at and the relationship you have with him .

And most dealers will want the customer to remain loyal to the garage . I also recon Porsche will be ' objective ' in order to maintain a good relationship with the customer if , for example, the problem would be engine or electric  .

Yes and no - Porsche don't underwrite the warranty, so don't control what is and what isn't covered.

For any major claim, the warranty company will want to get involved and your relationship with the dealer won't help you then!

Visited my OPC today for a 'complimentary health check' and whilst there I brought up the question of MPSS.

They were adamant that there is no way out of a warranty being voided by using non N-rated tyres!!

They say it's totally out of their hands and fully covered by the paperwork they must submit.  They even showed me the wording on the document involved..!

I was previously all for saying 'sod them' and having MPSS fitted at an independent.  But now I wont because there's no way I'd drive a car like this with no warranty...enlightened

--

Huh? That makes no sense. A case where US law is more rational than EU regulations? 

KMM:

Huh? That makes no sense. A case where US law is more rational than EU regulations? 

The USA doesn't need type-homologation laws;  ....  we have the tort bar, instead  Smiley

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

W8MM:

The USA doesn't need type-homologation laws;  ....  we have the tort bar, instead  Smiley

We need to remind ourselves this is Porsche's OWN homologation ie the N rating is their own approval process and it is only Porsche for warranty purposes who insist on the N rated tyres, there are no legal requirements in any country AFAIK to comply with this. As long as the tyre meets the correct standards in terms of size, speed and load rating then they are 100% legal.

The MPSS is the best tyre available currently for 911s and Porsche's stance is ludicrous. These bad boys are sitting in my garage waiting to replace the MPSSs which have lasted an impressive 10K miles !

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

I'm now considering taking out an alternative warranty independent of Porsche.

Prices are very similar, or lower, and there's no N-rating requirement...yes

--

I'm quite keen to look into independent warranties so I can get new coilovers.   Alas, there always seems to be something more pressing needing doing but I'd be keen hear how you get on and to share any experiences 

--

Gen II Cayman S

FWIW I took out extended warranty on my 997.1 for an additional year (whilst it was still <£900) but ran if for a further 4 years after that expired without cover banking the funds should anything go wrong. The coilpacks and RMS were resolved during the 1st year of cover so barring borescore or IMS failure, I took a chance. Only issue I had was a snapped gear cable which I replaced myself. It made the depreciation hit slightly more bearable and the Sport Contact 3 tyres I used (non-N rated) were better than the pirelli junk I have on my 991!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

It's a matter of peace of mind  against the probability of nothing happening.

I buy extended warranty for both my Porsches with the same logic that I insure my properties and I would buy motor insurance even if it wasn't compulsory.

For the 911 it is just above €1.000 and for the Boxster just below. Not a lot of money relative to the rest of the annual expenditure.

IMO the probability of an expensive breakdown on the car is higher than a property being damaged by fire or otherwise by an insured peril.

--

"Form follows function"

Having an IMS failure has made me more cautious I guess but I wouldn't run a Porsche without a warranty,  What I am interested is whether the independent cover matches Porshce's own

--

Gen II Cayman S

I've done an extensive search to compare Porsche's extended warranty with others in the UK...

http://www.warrantyexpert.co.uk/compare/porsche-car-warranty

I'm thinking that the best alternative is 'Warranty Direct' as I've been quoted a lower price for cover which includes all elements of the Porsche warranty plus the benefit of no stipulation for N-rated tyres plus, surprisingly, cover for 'wear & tear issues' which Porsche rejects!

Also, so long as it replaces any existing warranty, there will be no requirement for the 111 point check that Porsche insists on... at an extra cost of £216.00.

--

Well, the cover looks fine but its a little dearer than Porsche for my 987.  If you want to get away from the franchised dealer tie in for official parts and service, it could be better value overall.

--

Gen II Cayman S

One thing - I looked into this before deciding against a warranty altogether - I still get emails & texts from them after 5 years!!! (be sure to click on the "I don't want you to spam me forever" box when you get a quote)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

I love the MPSS - my m5 has them fitted and they are out of this world.  The Michelin PS2s that I have on the 997 turbo (fitted a few months ago) are excellent and far, far better than the Pirellis.  Hopefully, by the time I need a new set of tyres for the turbo, MPSS will be n-rated (not holding my breath though).

Finally decided against a third party warranty and went with a 2 year Porsche approved extension.

Got a good deal from my OPC  - the whole cost was £2315 (incl. VAT) and there was no charge for the 111 point inspection, the replacement of a FNS tie rod and a full wheel alignment and geometry re-set.  They even threw in an MOT which would have been required next month.  I also had a rear tyre replaced to even up all round wear.  The result is a very definite improvement to the feel of the steering and handling in general.

Now hoping that, by the time I need to replace my tyres all round, the MPSS will be N-rated...

--

Still weird that the MPSS doesn't seem to be widely available and even weirder that the MPSS doesn't seem to be approved (yet?) for the new GT3 and Turbo/S. I kind of get the feeling that once the MPSS will be N-rated, Michelin will put a new version on the market. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

You may have a good point there....!

I agree it's weird that MPSS still aren't N-rated for any 911, even though Michelin have released a recent press advert advocating their MPSS tyres as first choice for the Panamera and featuring a picture of the car and celebrating their 50-year relationship with Porsche...yes

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/all-new-porsche-panamera-models-to-come-with-michelin-tires-61714.html

--

John H:

Finally decided against a third party warranty and went with a 2 year Porsche approved extension.

Got a good deal from my OPC  - the whole cost was £2315 (incl. VAT) and there was no charge for the 111 point inspection, the replacement of a FNS tie rod and a full wheel alignment and geometry re-set.  They even threw in an MOT which would have been required next month.  I also had a rear tyre replaced to even up all round wear.  The result is a very definite improvement to the feel of the steering and handling in general.

Now hoping that, by the time I need to replace my tyres all round, the MPSS will be N-rated...

Hi John Smiley

Did you have the car serviced at the same time as the warranty? I know if you do then you get a substantial saving on the 111 point inspection as the service checks duplicate a lot of these points.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

I do the service annually at the beginning of January (actually oil and the various filters and brake pads if needed plus diagnosis and any updates) at the time of the warranty and I ask not be charged anything for the 111 inspection, as there is not much extra work really. The OPC always agree.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM